Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Myrkul's early history & lost lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  14:00:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the earliest mention of myrkul is myrkul bey al kursi the crown prince if murghom. Im happy with his origin being in murghom.

He definitely headed north to netheril (possibly travelling through narfell and raumathar on the way). If he was involved in netherip much beforw his fall i would have him under another alias (not a divine alias, just a fake name). The boxed set mentions a few wizards from the south.

In netheril he encounters bhaal who was a netherese arcanist and assassin (thanks George for that origin).

Still no idea at what point when or where Bane gets involved with the trio. Im thinking he joined up with myrkul on his travels (possibly in narfell) and it maybe that bane is a scion of one of the old dynasties of narfell (not the last one), given all the demok worshipping in the area and Banes legends linked with demons (like his "son" whose mother may have been a demon), although i treat all divine myth and legends as only loosely based on the truth, and i only deal with faerun (no core cosmology and deity confusion).

I may have to search Narfells dynasties now to see if i can nick one for Banes origin.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  14:19:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like everything but Myrkul deciding to become a god again... I know it's canon that he somehow re-ascended, but it's also canon that he was happy *not* being a god, after he lost his godhood.

I personally hate the "all the dead gods are back" schtick of the 5E Realms; I think the divine situation from the late 2E/early 3E is fine.

Though I’m inclined to agree now that I’ve read the old material, I got on board with FR at the start of 5E and the new lore is here to stay with my group. Gotta play with the hand I’ve been dealt! And since I want to run a campaign with the Crown of Horns in the 1490s... Myrkul’s a god again.

It has been a century since we heard Myrkul was satisfied with his lot - maybe he just got bored?

If I had to run with Myrkul being a god again, I'd tweak the idea: someone formerly possessed by Myrkul (or the Crown) arose in his place. So there's Myrkul I, the former deity who prefers not answering to Ao, and Myrkul II, the new deity -- who thinks he's the original!

Full disclosure: I think Myrkul is more fun as the mind within the Crown of Horns, and I've never liked Bhaal or Myrkul as deities. Bhaal is a one-note personification of murder and nothing more, and Myrkul is a one-note personification of the "Oooh, death is scary!" concept -- a concept I hate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2017 14:29:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  15:45:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simplest thing to do, IMO, is to just say that The Raven Queen is now answering the prayers of Myrkul's worshipers, and he's still in the crown. And that all of that is happening with his blessing.

Being 'the grim reaper' got boring, and he's having fun right now. But he isn't stupid either, and there may come a time when he gets bored with this as well, and he may want his godhood back - to that end, its smart for him to allow tRQ to maintain his 'presence' in the Realms. Its a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The main difference (perhaps the only difference) between my take and what Wooly suggested is that I don't add yet another death-god to the mix. The Raven Queen is canon now, whether we like it or not. We may as well use her for something interesting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Dec 2017 15:47:01
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  17:54:43  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the idea the Myrkul created the original crown... if he did, why were the original powers not more in line with his? I prefer that he altered it at some point.

Eric - where does Jergal come in... I've never seen that before. This your home version?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:07:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I don't like the idea the Myrkul created the original crown... if he did, why were the original powers not more in line with his? I prefer that he altered it at some point.

Eric - where does Jergal come in... I've never seen that before. This your home version?

It's canon, per page 37 of the 2E book Faiths & Avatars; I believe it was in later sources, as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:22:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's canon, per page 37 of the 2E book Faiths & Avatars; I believe it was in later sources, as well.

There is nothing about the Crown there.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:43:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, now you've confused me. Where are you conflating the Crown and Jergal? The only reference I saw to Jergal was the Dark Three taking him on.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2017 18:45:31
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  19:05:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, now you've confused me. Where are you conflating the Crown and Jergal? The only reference I saw to Jergal was the Dark Three taking him on.

Eric said:

"The first Crown of Horns was created by Shadelor. (A failure.)

The revised Crown of Horns was created by Jergal.

Myrkul then inherited the Crown of Horns and manipulated it from his rise to the Time of Troubles.

The current Crown of Horns was recreated by Myrkul in 1358 DR."

I was asking where this came from. I've never seen that before.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  19:25:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that is from Erics writeup. I wouldnt describe it as homebrew though. If it isnt part of realms canon it should be and as soon as Eric comes back it probably will be.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  20:49:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric said:

"The first Crown of Horns was created by Shadelor. (A failure.)

The revised Crown of Horns was created by Jergal.

Myrkul then inherited the Crown of Horns and manipulated it from his rise to the Time of Troubles.

The current Crown of Horns was recreated by Myrkul in 1358 DR."

I was asking where this came from. I've never seen that before.

My bad, I was looking at the wrong post.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  21:44:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I went looking and couldn't find anything suitable as a potential origin for Bane.

So I made one up. Morgraun Orgolath. Second tiefling son of Ulthar.

Then looking in the writeup of the mist maiden (a dragon) I found an item called a "banedrinker" which was a construct created by Raumathar to combat the demon armies of narfell. So I thought what if Bane (or more likely Baeen) means demon in the ancient Nar language (which I think is Ulou based and explains the term Bane appearing in the Northern hemisphere a lot where the Ulou spread).

So I figure that Morgraun is a very demonic looking tiefling (moreso than his brother) and being related to Graz'zt gives him the all black look. He'd be born around -615 DR so plenty of time for him to grow up and head to Netheril and get involved in events there. And being raised in Narfell he'd have plenty of exposure to the demonic.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  22:52:32  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the creation goes, the waters of canon are pretty murky.

I quoted some of the sources in a previous post, but the gist is that Volo's claims Myrkul created the Crown, and implies (but doesn't directly state) that he created the original Crown - not just the ToT-altered version. Meanwhile, Netheril: Empire of Magic claims the Crown was created in Shadowtop Borough in Netheril around -2,237 DR. It doesn't specifically state that it was Trebbe that created it, but it does state on p8 of the Enclyclopedia Arcana that arcanists created it. Trebbe was the arcanist who created the floating enclave, so it makes sense that if anyone was using the Nether Scrolls to turn a magical crown into an artifact, it would be him.

Then, you've got the kind of shanked version in Magic of Faerun:
"Myrkul created the crown while he was still a living deity, and it was eventually broken by the efforts of Khelben the Blackstaff."
This sentence just doesn't line up with the Netheril lore. And it doesn't line up with it becoming "Myrkul-created" in the ToT.

As far as Eric's Jergal-version goes, much as I love Eric's work, I wouldn't use that unless he expands on it further. I went to his thread to ask him, but someone else has already done so and he hasn't replied. So, I'm just going to pretend I didn't see him write that Shadelorn created it and then Jergal altered it...

I've done my best to reconcile the N:EoM and the VGtATM stories, but I'm not in love with my version either. I think it's what I'll go with though.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 20 Dec 2017 22:53:38
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  22:58:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The explanation I like the most is that they are all different artifacts. "Crown of Horns" is such a generic name, over a 4000+ year history it is certainly not unreasonably to think that there could be multiple crowns with this name, especially since we know of at least one helmet that used the name.

This is the same way I handle the Imaskarcana. Many items that have been called by a name originally for specific items.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  14:51:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea mentioned revolving around Myrkul in the past being involved somehow with the Netherese.

I agree that I'm kind of non-plussed about Myrkul coming back, but at the same time, I'm also not wanting to go against 5e canon on this. That being said, I'm also introducing new death gods (Ereshkigal, but she will be Untheric.... but I will be referencing her and the raven queen together). I'm also including Velsharoon, who is "like" Myrkul, except that he serves the goddess of magic.

One thing that MIGHT work as a story to go along with this.... I'm definitely having Velsharoon actually in Abeir for the last century. However, we have "canon" that Velsharoon was "killed" by the Simbul and then the people of Aglarond took the body. What if that being that the Simbul killed was actually Mellifleur, who maybe respawned in Toril while Velsharoon was gone. Maybe some cultists of Myrkul get ahold of this divine body, put the crown of horns on it, and they cast a ritual to "reawaken" Myrkul (possibly despite his own wants... nothing says that the divine have complete control). In this way, maybe Myrkul also takes a portfolio from Velsharoon (i.e. being god of liches), and maybe he even takes on another one in being a god of "mummies" and similar undead. Personally, I'm happy with Velsharoon simply being a god of necromantic magic even if it does somewhat reduce his power level.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  20:15:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternately, he can be the god of the magic that creates liches - a subset of necromancy :P
This of course paves the path for Sammaster to show up again as the god of the magic that creates dracoliches. Uh-oh - snowball is a rollin' now :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  04:13:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the guys in Netheril were only experimenting with the Crown? I don't recall them actually creating it. I had always assumed it was an ancient artifact associated with several death-gods over tens of thousands of years.

Jergal would make some sense, if for Eric's write-up if nothing else. I believe Krash elaborated further on the subject with his own work. The Crown would have to go WAY back, from either the Spellweaver empire or soon after.

I also assumed that Myrkul first became involved with the crown when he was still a living Prince of Murghôm. He may have found/bought it, and then told people he created it when he began to wear it as his new 'princely crown' of office. Except it would have had a 'One Ring' sort of affect on anyone wearing it (slow corruption and eventual insanity). It may have been Jergal's plan all along for Myrkul to wind-up with the Crown. Myrkul may have been the first that heard the 'dark whispers' about becoming a god, and then he got the other two on board. Just because Bane was the ringleader doesn't mean it was all his idea. We got the Old Empires right to one side of Murghôm, and the Citadel of the old man (Sentinelspire) just north of there - easy to see how those three could have hooked-up.

Then they needed some 'lost Gods' to make their plan bear fruit, and they heard about a bunch in the Eastern Heartlands, so they traveled there. The rest is history. In fact, Myrkul may not have been a 'bad guy' right from the beginning - he may have thought the only way to counter Mulhorand's control over Murghôm was to become just like one of those 'godly manifestations'. Basically, he didn't want to be a puppet-king like his father, etc. Then he just started behaving worse and worse because of his association with the other two.

And being a death-god from the Old Empires isn't really the same as it would be from most European-like countries. The Egyptians respected death, and had a whole religion based around all the rituals and what-not. If Myrkul came from that background, even if he planned to be the 'death god' in the group, he probably didn't think of himself as the skeletal grim-reaper type (which makes it weird he ended up as that). He may have thought it was more of a 'noble calling'. Maybe the job got to him.

And as I said at the beginning, I really like the idea it may have been Jergal who got the whole ball rolling in the first place.

P.S. - I still think the Black Diamond in the crown is THE Black Diamond (from the Fey lore). And I still think that is a piece (I doubt the whole thing) of the 'Shard of Pure evil' introduced in the 4e cosmic canon (regarding the Obyriths and other 'elder evil' types). In fact, now that I am giving this new thought, it actually work beautifully to help fix a couple of things I was having trouble with, regarding the 'time before time' and the elder gods. Auril was NOT corrupted instantly as the fey story implies - the shard was found by the dwarves, who then cut and polished it into a beautiful Black Diamond to present to the Frost Sprite Princess (her sister was still only the princess of the Court of Stars. Auril takes it and thanks them for their gift. She is not only taken with its dark beauty, but she can feel (and perhaps access) the 'powers within'. She then fights on the side of 'the good guys' in the Dawn War, but slowly turns evil, so that when the Godswar breaks out, she sides with the dark Seldarine instead. She consumes her own realm in act of ultimate Defilement and uses that power against other gods. Her sister sees what she has done and become, and leads the rest of the fey out of the mortal (Material) world into the feywild (which Corellon told Danu about). Now cast-out of the fairy courts, she takes on the title of the Queen of Air & Darkness instead. Using the Black Diamond by itself in much the same way the Crown of Horns functions enables me to mesh the old Monster Mythology lore with the 4e lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Dec 2017 04:26:40
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  05:37:27  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Black Diamond stuff is really cool lore, Markustay.

Netheril: Empire of Magic doesn't specifically say the physical crown was invented in Netheril, but it does say the "Crown of Horns" was created there, in Shadowtop Borough, using the Nether Scrolls.

I could go either way on inserting Jergal into the Crown's story, I don't feel like it adds much, but it is an extra twist - though that twist does lessen the significance of its connection to Myrkul... mixed feelings.

Still tempted to use the black diamond/shard of evil stuff though, that's great.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  05:48:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know where Eric got his Jergal idea, but I think the evil force behind the Crown of Horns was MOANDER.

The Earliest mention of the Crown I find is from The Savage Frontier (From 1988) which states that in 1358 DR:

1) Crown of Horns, a many-horned helm of unknown properties (one property should be obvious, it causes dissension and a desire to possess it)

2) Laeral (LAY-er-al)
The Stronghold of the Nine
24th level magic-user
LE, None (formerly: CG Mystra)
Human female, IN 18, DEX 16
Once the leader of the adventuring band known as the Nine, and known for the wondrous magical items that she crafted, she is now the leader of a major faction within their stronghold. Before the discovery of the Crown of Horns in the ruins of Yulash, she devotedly followed Mystra. Now, her mind warped by the crown, she works for no god (though evil forces often profit by her actions).
Those who remember the Laeral of old would be shocked to see her now. Mad eyes peer through unshorn locks turned snow white by rapid aging. Her musical voice is a gruesome cackle and her once-immaculate robes little more than rags. Visitors to The Stronghold of the Nine are treated like intruders by Laeral and her ex-comrades.

3)Date unknown. Well, this is where it ends, starving to death in a dank cell, imprisoned by another one of A. A.'s old "friends." I've tried to gauge time, but
with no natural light and infrequent meals, I can only guess.
"Will try to recap my situation (Tempus's Toes! Amelior's got me writing for posterity now!). Jhingleshod and I found the Stronghold of the Nine. It seemed deserted, so we snooped a bit. Maybe we could just "borrow" the potion and leave. We met Laeral. She seemed a bit different, nastier; than usual (or maybe it was
her hair). After a short argument (maybe 'cock-eyed witch" was a bad choice of words), I a woke here.
"Next time I'll try A. A.'s enemies, they might be more friendly. See if I ever do anything for One-eye again. Wonder if that cock-eyed witch is looking for the
stupid spikey crown I found in here. It sure makes for a lousy pillow." -Erek, ever-humble servant of Amelior Amanitas

LOVE that last bit...

The ruins of Yulash is interesting as that is where Moander was imprisoned. We also know exactly when Learal must have found the Crown there because there were only a few months between the time it was destroyed by the dragon Mist in the month of Kythorn (June) of 1356 and when the Zhents moved in and started rebuilding. We know all this from the O.G.B. As far as I can tell, all of this was forgotten by 2nd Edition because they stopped saying Yulash was destroyed by a dragon.

So in 1356 the 9 were in Yulash after it was destroyed and 2 years later Laeral was the mad witch... What is curious is that the Crown was just laying around... also I wonder if Elrem ended up with the crown...

We do know from all this that Laeral was not bound physically or through desire to the Crown (like a normal cursed item), as she just left it lying around... Does anyone else think this all sounds a little bit like the spell "Seed of Moander." Maybe Laeral was turned into a minion of a the dark god, infected other members of the 9 as well with her spores - they die (at least 2 died in those years, could not find who), but she doesn't die because the Silver Fire act like a constant potion of vitality preventing the seed from eating away at her. :P

The next time we see the crown mentioned much is in the Netheril box set. It says

1) Trebbe was killed in a spellcasting accident in 1622 when a magical crown he was working on exploded, destroying almost an entire city block of the enclave. The crown, which eventually became known as the Crown of Horns, wasn’t discovered again for hundreds of years.
2) In 2436, a ruthless archwizard named Requiar took control of the enclave in a brutal attack that left more than 30 of his peers dead. Wearing the Crown of Horns, Requiar ruled until 2651, when the Crown had finally driven him insane and a concerted effort to remove him succeeded. RUTHLESS BECAUSE OF THE CROWN'S CORRUPTION I ASSUME
3) In 3215, the Crown of Horns was discovered by the eager archwizard Shadelorn... skip a bit... Shadelorn’s research had been altered by the Crown of Horns, that now wanted revenge for its defeat years earlier...
4) it was also the site for the creation of an evil and twisted artifact, the Crown of Horns. A spellcasting accident in 1622 killed Trebbe while he was completing work on the Crown of Horns. TO ME IT SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING WENT WRONG WHILE HE WAS CREATING IT, LIKE MAYBE IT WAS TAMPERED WITH BY THE GOD OF CORRUPTION...

Remember that Moander is the god of CORRUPTION. This all fits very well with him as you ask me.

THEN 1358 comes along and Moander is destroyed and the Crown is lost... Some time thereafter Myrkul could have easily done his thing since the crown was no longer under the power of Moander.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  06:10:51  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laeral was the Crown's prisoner from 1337 - 1357. Khelben sundered the Crown in 1357 and took its pieces back to Blackstaff Tower, where they stayed until Myrkul reforged them in his death throes in 1358.

The Crown does appear in Yulash, and Moander was a god in the time of Netheril, and the Crown is a corrupting force of sorts... so a link is believable. Although it's a stretch, it's no more of a stretch than my theory about Myrkul's early involvement with it.

I actually think I like a Moander link a bit better than a Jergal link. But at the same time, it's already an artifact associated with a god - Myrkul - and nothing in the literature directly connects it to any other god. To associate it with a second god feels a little like overkill, but that's just my POV.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  06:59:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Laeral was the Crown's prisoner from 1337 - 1357. Khelben sundered the Crown in 1357 and took its pieces back to Blackstaff Tower, where they stayed until Myrkul reforged them in his death throes in 1358.

The dates you note come (I assume) from Grand History which did its best to catalogue all the known dates of things in the Realms.

It is my assumption that the 1337 date was a typo. She could not have recovered the crown from the Ruins of Yulash in 1337, because Yulash was not ruins in 1337. The dates I provided are from the earliest references I know of... its possible Ed mentioned them earlier in Dragon Mag but I don't think so... and it seems they were largely forgotten.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 22 Dec 2017 07:44:26
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  07:38:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Crown does appear in Yulash, and Moander was a god in the time of Netheril, and the Crown is a corrupting force of sorts... so a link is believable.

Also remember that Moander also has strong ties to Yulash. It seems strange to me that the two most important things about Yulash are that a major evil artifact is found buried for centuries in its ruins and a major evil deity buried for centuries in its ruins, and that both are returned to the Realms within 12 months.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  08:04:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, its looks like there is almost a 3000-year period where the Crown was missing, between the fall of Netheril and it being discovered in Yulash (it could easily be "a ruin in Yulash"). Anything could have happened between then, including MY scenario of Myrkul getting ahold of it while he was still mortal.

Moander is an FR-specific aspect of Ghuanadaur, and Ghaunadaur is the 'Evil Elder eye', which is another name for Tharizdun ("his names are legion"). Tharizdun, as in the Elder God who was the first to interact with the Shard of Pure Evil. There is no conflict here - Moander was just watching-over an artifact (technically a relic, if we are associating it with gods) of the Dark God, which it is an aspect of. Now here's what I think happened in regards to Jergal and the Netherese...

Jergal interacted with the Netherese, discreetly. He wasn't the only one - the Terraseer is another, and in my own lore I have Hilather there as well (The Netherese weren't nearly as powerful as their hubris lead them to believe - many 'beings of power' walked among them in secret, each with its own agenda). Jergal fashioned the Crown of Horns in the distant past, probably around the time of the Dragon Empires. As part of the Crowns construction, he set a huge black Jewel in it, given to him by Tharizdun or one of Tharizdun's many aspects. The Jewel is a piece of the Shard of Pure Evil.* Many millennia later, Jergal (in disguise) gives an unactivated (deactivated?) Crown to Trebbe, hoping to find someone he could control through the Crown. Trebbe wasn't powerful enough to activate the Crown properly and blew himself up. Jergal then passes the Crown onto Requiar, who does manage to activate it, but he is still not as powerful as jergal would like his puppet to be. The Crown is 'lost' again, and then later found by Shadelorn (who was possibly steered toward it by Jergal), who had whatever Jergal was looking for (I'm thinking a connection to 'Shadow Magic', given the name). But before Shadelorn can set Jergal's grand scheme in motion, Karsus casts his tragic spell and Netheril falls.

Some time later, after much searching for 'the perfect host', Jergal comes upon a young prince of Murghôm - one fascinated by 'Shadowy magic' (necromancy). Myrkul is given the Crown and is instantly taken with it. Jergal's plans will finally see fruition. After a few failed attempts at starting up their own churches in the old Empires, Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal team-up and go hunting for the seven lost gods (*cough* at the prompting of Kiputytto *cough*), and they systematically destroy these gods, until they get to the last one; they fight Moander in his temple just outside Yulash and destroy it as well, with the resulting explosion taking at the entire temple complex and surrounding neighborhood (and yet, not completely destroying Yulash proper). This causes the death-ascension of the Dark Three, who go to the Outer Planes and make their deals with Jergal, who had been waiting for them. The Crown, BTW - being a physical object - did NOT 'ascend' with Myrkul, so it lay there in the ruins of the temple for Laeral to find later on.

Moander played its part perfectly - it knew it would arise again... it always does. You can't truly kill a god unless you destroy the archtype. All it really needed was just a tiny 'divine spark' to get it started again, and it was able to procure that through its cults (through Finder). It may have been promised it could use the Crown - which lay in the ruins of its temple - to make its 'come back', but Laeral took that away (she may also have been steered to the site by Jergal, but more probably Shar or some other dark god).

Shar was steering events in Netheril, after all - she may have even been trying to thwart Jergal's plans of becoming an Overpower (something she herself would loved to have become). Causing the Fall of Netheril likely accomplished several goals for Shar, and it most definitely set her own 'Dark Chronology' in motion (one could say the Fall of Netheril diverged prophesy down a darker side-path). I'm pretty sure she was able to snatch-back a good chunk of her power when her sister Mystryl died (and thats how we got the shadweave), and later, the three who arose as a result of that stole the Tablets of Fate and started the Avatar Crisis, which resulted in Mystra's death (where she was able to grab most of the rest of her power). It all goes round-and-round. In fact, Shar may have been pulling the strings of some who thought they were the puppet-masters (like Jergal) - I can definitely see her going to Tharizdun for the Black Diamond and telling him to give it to Jergal (both deities have a deep connection to Entropy, after all).

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Dec 2017 19:19:20
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  08:19:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*I'm going to put the footnote here, because I ran over-long (what a surprise).

I don't think the Black Diamond IS the shard of Pure Evil. I think that may even be a part of Tharizdun now. I don't really like saying its 'a piece of the shard', either. However, the shard - either directly or through Tharizdun -can corrupt other things - its like a virus. A virus of Pure Evil. What I think the Black Diamond might actually be is the pure heart of a fallen god that died during the Dawn War which was then corrupted (probably to keep it from coming back - maybe even He Who Was). So I am picturing the heart as a beautiful clear jewel that was touched with the Shard and then it turned black.

Since I think the Black Diamond Affair (with the Fey) took place before Abeir-Toril was sundered (because the GHotR says they left before then), it stands to reason it could have been involved there before being given over to Jergal. I unfortunately do not have the Lord of the End of Everything article, so I can't place it more precisely, but we are talking about 25K+ years before the rise of Netheril, so plenty of room for shoe-horning.

Jergal may have also tried the Crown with other groups - perhaps the elves, or even Imaskar, before going with the Netherese. My thoughts here are that he was passing it off as an incomplete greater artifact, so that he could trick powerful mages in fiddling with it (thinking they were completing it, when really they were just activating the thing).

"Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Battle Station" ....errr.. I mean artifact.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Dec 2017 19:13:22
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  08:20:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as the creation goes, the waters of canon are pretty murky.

I quoted some of the sources in a previous post, but the gist is that Volo's claims Myrkul created the Crown, and implies (but doesn't directly state) that he created the original Crown - not just the ToT-altered version. Meanwhile, Netheril: Empire of Magic claims the Crown was created in Shadowtop Borough in Netheril around -2,237 DR. It doesn't specifically state that it was Trebbe that created it, but it does state on p8 of the Enclyclopedia Arcana that arcanists created it. Trebbe was the arcanist who created the floating enclave, so it makes sense that if anyone was using the Nether Scrolls to turn a magical crown into an artifact, it would be him.

Then, you've got the kind of shanked version in Magic of Faerun:
"Myrkul created the crown while he was still a living deity, and it was eventually broken by the efforts of Khelben the Blackstaff."
This sentence just doesn't line up with the Netheril lore. And it doesn't line up with it becoming "Myrkul-created" in the ToT.

As far as Eric's Jergal-version goes, much as I love Eric's work, I wouldn't use that unless he expands on it further. I went to his thread to ask him, but someone else has already done so and he hasn't replied. So, I'm just going to pretend I didn't see him write that Shadelorn created it and then Jergal altered it...

I've done my best to reconcile the N:EoM and the VGtATM stories, but I'm not in love with my version either. I think it's what I'll go with though.

Just pointing out that NEoM does straight out say Trebbe made the Crown.

Also, Volo's guide seems to be a reprint of City of Splendors... unfortunate because if it was just Volo I'd say that the roguish writer made one of his common blunders. City of Splendors is written in what seems to be Steven Schend's own voice.

The only other direct contradiction I've noticed up to this point (2nd E) is that it was described as iron in the stronghold of the nine and then electrum later.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  08:25:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do enjoy your wacky home brew Markustay. Always so complicated and thorough.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  08:45:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Canon Facts:
A) First, Myrkul was a crown prince of Murghom
B) Myrkul created the crown of horns
C) The crown of horns existed at least prior to -2267 DR
D) at some point around -2267 DR the crown of horns fell into the hands of a Netherese Archmage who studied it for 30 years until it killed him.

B-D Very questionable... Not Facts :P See previous replies
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  09:12:19  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By far the best description of the events that ruined Yulash that I've been able to find is from the Forgotten Realms Atlas (1990). Page 122 for those who still have it laying around. It also has a good picture of Yulash. No mention of the Crown or the Nine here, as it is mostly a description of Alias freeing Moander...

I have a crazy what if for you guys... some supposition that I know you all love.

What if what was left of Shadowtop Borough (the enclave that crashed with the Crown of Horns inside) eventually became the plateau that Yulash stood upon?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  13:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By far the best description of the events that ruined Yulash that I've been able to find is from the Forgotten Realms Atlas (1990). Page 122 for those who still have it laying around. It also has a good picture of Yulash. No mention of the Crown or the Nine here, as it is mostly a description of Alias freeing Moander...

I have a crazy what if for you guys... some supposition that I know you all love.

What if what was left of Shadowtop Borough (the enclave that crashed with the Crown of Horns inside) eventually became the plateau that Yulash stood upon?

It's not a bad idea, but I'd question how the Crown managed to stay in one place for so long.

I'd say it was more likely it had traveled a while before coming to rest in Yûlash.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  13:09:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I've suggested previously that the Crown could have been created in Netheril by someone else, and Myrkul later absorbed that creator into himself. So the creator is thus part of Myrkul, and Myrkul can be said to have created the Crown, even if it predates the guy using the name now.

We also know that some long-lived types have used various names and identities over the years... So Myrkul could actually be thousands of years old -- maybe he was working his way towards godhood long before he met Bane and Bhaal. So he could have spent time as a Netherese arcanist, before eventually shedding that persona and assuming another, eventually assuming the name Myrkul just in time to meet the other two members of the Dark Three.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  15:44:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's not a bad idea, but I'd question how the Crown managed to stay in one place for so long.

I'd say it was more likely it had traveled a while before coming to rest in Yûlash.

First it would have been buried in a mountain... then once it was recovered... say somewhere around 1200 years ago it might have become a holy relic of Moander because it would be the symbol of his greatest triumph, the corruption and murder of a whole enclave... remember Yulash was a site of his biggest / last temple that eventually got High Magic'd by the elves. Perhaps it was buried once again in the events that bound Moander. Then, a flight of dragons comes through, unintentionally stirs things up (by things I mean the earth under Yulash), and bingo-bango-boingo one very naughty Crown is released upon the world, free to do its dirtiest to any silver haired vixen who comes trolluping along with an octet of heroes.

One could even imagine the manipulation of Moander are what set the dragon flight in motion, as that was when he was manipulating the creation of Alias as well (so we know that while bound he still had the ability to manipulate events in the wider world, he just could not rampage away like all piles of refuse are want to do).

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 22 Dec 2017 15:46:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000