Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vaasa 1370's Version 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  11:01:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well without the primordial i am still stuck without a reason for Zhengyi coming to Vaasa in the first place, i dont want to move completely away from what is canon, i just want to try and justify what happened in the past and then try and make the whole area more alive, and since Telos is canon in 4th edition a little change to his date of entry into the realms explains what little we have of Vaasa's past.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  11:04:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have a look at where Thesk is on the map, it would make sense for them to insinuate themselves into the existing orc/half orc settlement of Palischuk (since they will be accepted there easily) and then move to take over the running of the place.

But a wave of forced migration into the area which causes a number of orc/half orc settlements to spring up in which ever area of Vaasa is closest is not a bad idea. The church of bane can then build churches in the settlements that spring up and gain control of at least a portion of Vaasa.

Thats a damn good idea, i'm definitely adding that one. Bane could always do with a bit more love in the eastern edges, especially given his agreement with Khelben.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  11:23:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, looks like Thesk is further away than Zhentil Keep itself.

I think a two pronged influx is called for. The orcs and humans from the Moonsea area can be overtly Zhentarim and sent there to secure the West Galenas and as much of western Vaasa as they can hold, that way they can mine the mountains and if they can secure the mountain pass in southern Vaasa (looks like its called Bramble's Climb and passes near Hulburg) then they can get lots of cheap materials.

The Western and more settled portions of Vaasa (Darmshall, Palischuk, etc) are likely to resist any attempt at Banite conquest or help, so thats where the orcs from Thesk come in. The few that still obey Zhent orders migrate through The Great Dale and Damara and eventually come to Vaasa.

They are on the outside not connected to the Zhents and so while slightly suspect have proved themselves in Thesk and therefore might be allowed to pass through Damara to settle in Vaasa (in fact Gareth Dragonsbane might even pay them to kill monsters in the area).

These orcs then insinuate themselves in Palischuk mostly but also in other settlements throughout Vaasa (wherever they are accepted) and spread the influence of Bane as much as they can.

Therefore i might change Palischuk from being a bastion for the warlock knights to being a Banite stronghold.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  11:56:17  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you definatly want Telos in your lore, how about having Bane "pose" as an entity that takes Telos as a front to spread his worship in the region? The Warlock Knights could "follow" Telos while in truth they would be venerating Bane? Then they can "link" up with the banites from your two pronged idea and due to common ground in matters, strike an alliance.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  12:11:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i have updated things for my take on Bane.

I dont really want Vaasa to be united in anyway, it should remain as it is in the books, a dangerous wilderness where death is hiding under every rock and around every corner.

If Bane controlled Telos and it's own forces then Vaasa would quickly become a nation rather than a geographic area. While it remains a land divided then the area will still be dangerous wilderness.

Having super powerful beings in FR is nothing unusual, so the presence of a primordial is only bad if you hate 4th edition stuff (which for the most part i do), but the primordials if written in properly are actually a good inclusion into the lore of the realms so i'm happy to use them (just rewrite things a bit to make it a better fit).

Hopefully i have rewritten Telos in a good way so that he has a purpose and a history and is part of the area rather than just have an uber powerful being crash land for no apparent reason.

I did love the idea of Bane moving further east (since he can no longer move west), and with the Zhentarim's focus on trade it makes sense for them to secure Vaasa since it is very rich in mineral wealth which they can then export to the rest of Faerun.

But again they shouldnt have sole control as then that changes the nature of Vaasa from wilderness to nation and i didnt really want to do that.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  12:46:39  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is to say Bane can´t move west?

I understand your view of Vaasa and some primordial lore does make for something interesting like Mount Hotenow near Neverwinter, but in some parts like Vaasa for example, they just feel out of place and not needed.

Have you considered having the banites seize control of Ilinvur and the road into Vaasa as an outer supply and staging area for forays into Vaasa and opening up a potential second front in the struggle against the Warlock Knights?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  13:01:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I picked the Clefts of Razack and the main river as the divider between the two lands because it was easier geographically.

However Vaasa is not very abundant in its settlements and the Zhentarim have the might of the Moonsea behind it so in order to keep the warlock knights from being overwhelmed it makes sense for them to control more of the settlements inside Vaasa.

At the moment the Zhentarim control the few settlements in southern Vaasa (two canon) and are secretly in control of Palischuk so they are already fighting the warlock knights on two fronts.

The warlock knights are also engaged against the tribe of the white worm, and i have plans for giants to the north to also be against the warlock knights.

I want the knights to be in control of large parts of Vaasa (mostly to stop them being annihilated) but it also gives Vaasa a unique flavour, strangely armoured beings able to summon outsiders and field golems into battle.

But really the only settlement of any size that the warlock knights will control will be Telos. Everything else is just tiny frontier towns that provide slaves and sacrifices for Telos.

If the Zhentarim controlled western, eastern, and southern Vaasa that leaves the warlock knights isolated and vulnerable and then it wouldnt be long before Bane rules all of Vaasa and again Vaasa would become a nation rather than an area.

I can understand why you would want Bane to control everything, but i want to try and keep Vaasa as an untamed wilderness and just add more for people to do and see

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  13:11:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMG, I've connected a lot of lore together by blaming it all on a series of 'Tearfalls' (meteor strikes) around Faerûn (and the rest of Toril). Each chunk of rock had different magic-altering abilities, some major, some minor, and some effects just being very low-key and spread over a large area (so folks don't realize there is anything amiss... yet).

I've decided to leave the Vassan Knights as-is (pretty-much), but as to the source of their power, its 'mysterious' (so the rock could be a piece of a primordial, or it could be something else entirely). I prefer to leave my options open in case I want to go a different route later.

I actually like the 4e primordial lore, but I know many folks don't, so I don't 'play it up' (except way in the background). As for you and your group - AS ALWAYS - you can spin things any way that makes you happy.

EDIT: You posted before my last response, Dazzerdal. I like that take - is similar to how I split up Vassa (different factions and all).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Oct 2013 13:14:33
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  20:26:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So anyone have any other ideas to inspire.

I'm thinking I should do more with the cult of the dragon. I tried to keep them as an underground organisation as that seems to be how they operate but other than the twist of making people look to them to help with the troubles I have no other ideas.

I am pretty sure they make their money out of drugs and other organised crime but i'm not sure how relevant any of that is to Vaasa given that there is no centralised government so they wouldn't need to be particularly organised.

Maybe there is a plant that grows in Vaasa that can be used for a drug, possibly some kind of corrupted plant that grows in the bottomless bogs.

Maybe have Urshula the dracolich lair in ancient giant ruins somewhere north of castle perilous at the foot of the great glacier (like in the RAS novels, but in the northwest rather than the northeast). Not quite sure what reason she would have for being there other than an artefact of some kind, but again what artefact.

I briefly read in the adventures hints that there may once have been some ancient duergar civilisation in the area but they seem to have degenerated to stealing from the svirfneblin and dwarves.

Then there are the very few good races that inhabit the area. There are the dwarves, and that's it. Other than keep the dwarves as isolated bastions of safety I have no idea what to do with them.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  19:13:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a thought about the origin of Telos and him being in space all this time.

What if Telos was connected to Selune and Shar in some way.

Mystryl was supposedly made of equal parts Selune and Shar.

What if Telos was created at the same time but was more Shar than Selune. A being that drained magic and life, a being that was orphaned in orbit around Toril for eons.

Then he is hurled to the planet surface by Asgoroth and gets covered by the great glacier.

So his purpose is no longer to kill the giants, but just to drain magic and life energy from everything he encounters.

I also had an idea about the automatons he uses in 4th edition, I was thinking of making them Shadesteel golems (because the picture of them looks quite scary).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  13:08:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pieces of 'something' have been raining down on Toril since the very beginning. I have found geographic evidence of dozens of large meteor strikes (craters and what-not) all over the place. The High Forest itself is sitting on top of one of the largest of these.

These 'Tearfalls' may all be connected to same being, but I doubt it, since any magic associated with these regions seems to be a bit different each time (however, that could be explained-away by who is tapping into it, and what their own magical background/agenda is). What I think they DO have in common is an event - one that created all these 'hunks of dead primordials(!)' in the heavens, and that event would most likely be the Godwar. I assume the War of Light & Darkness was much more then just a disagreement between Shar and Selune (after all, it was a WAR, not just 'a fight' or 'battle').

So what we got is a whole lot of 'dead gods' (blasted to pieces) floating around Realmspace, that have the annoying habit of occasionally falling to Toril and screwing stuff up. Telos would just be one of the most recent of these (and that chunk of him may have even fallen to Vassa pre-1e - several early sources discuss a tearfall in that region "in the past few centuries").

At least, that is the conclusion I have drawn thus-far. YMMV

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  19:15:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that always puzzled me was that it was never explained or quantified exactly what a primordial is.

Plenty of things have been stated as being primordial (some I think are labelled as such incorrectly), but again it leaves us no closer as to what a primordial is.

Now we know what gods are, divine entities created from the thought of it's worshippers manifested on the outer planes.

Then there are primordials. Now a common theme with the primordials is that they have a single body, are manifest on the prime material plane, and they are powerful and most of the time quite ancient. But other than that it doesn't say if they are gods, where they come from why they are different to deities.

I think I might have to create a new thread while I put my muddled brain to digital paper.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:35:29  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
III. VAASA
A. Locales/Cities
1. Castle Perilous (CotD p62) (FRCS p110) (FR9 p36) (H4 p12-29) map and cross section (H4 map) map of terrain surrounding the Castle (H4 p13) drawing (H4 p18) (GTotR p118)
a. Once the fortress of Zhengyi, the Witch-king (FRCS p110) (FR9 p36) (H4 p12- 29) (GTotR p118)
b. Built by demon labor in one fell night (FRCS p110) (GTotR p118)
c. Made of dark stone (FRCS p110) (H4 p12,14) (GTotR p118) bound in iron (CotR p86)
d. On the shore of the Lake of Tears (FRCS p110) Sea of Tears (CotR p86)
e. Today in ruins (FRCS p110) but being rebuilt by The Church of Tiamat as a citadel for an army (PaP p136)
f. Wings of the Queen Reborn [temple to Tiamat] (PaP p136) (DoF p9-10)
g. Stone is black with red streaks, ground cracked around the castle with 100-ft. deep ravines branching out in all directions. (H4 p12,14)
h. At all times thick overcast skies and a peculiar warmth pervade the air surrounding the castle (H4 p12,13)
i. Severe hailstorms occur every 6 hours around the castle (H4 p13)
j. Scrying device on top of keep can see 2 miles from the castle in all directions, darkness doesn’t hamper this device (H3 p12,13,14) map (H4 p13)
k. Dome at the top opens, allowing a dragon to emerge (H4 p14)
l. Stone wall surrounds the castle with no doors at ground level, 50 ft. tall, 30 ft wide walkway, with a moat of acid in the walkway (H4 p16)
m. Four towers flank the castle (H4 p17)
n. Most of the castle is lined with lead to disrupt magic (H4 p28)
2. West Galena Mountains (FR9 p33)
a. Melvaunt and Mulmaster sponsor fortified mining camps (FRCS p107)
b. Great mineral wealth in the Western Galenas (GTotR p118)
3. Sunderland (FR9 p36) (H3 p12) (DD p25,26)
a. Black Holes [of Sunderland] (FR9 p36) (DD p25,26)
b. Darmshall [population 5,333] (FRCS p110) (FR9 p14,26) (DD p25)
i. Towering walled fortress village lined with weapons of war founded by the Tenblades (FRCS p110) (FR9 p26)
ii. Farms and cattle ranches (FRCS p110)
iii. Huge secret underground complex hold granaries and armories (FRCS p110) (FR9 p26)
iv. Few women (FRCS p110)
v. 500 soldiers (FRCS p110)
vi. Waymeet for farmers and miners (FR9 p14)
vii. Ruled by Gelgar Talonguard (FRCS p110)
viii. Built by Romas Thunderclap [deceased] (FR9 p26)
ix. Held off goblin hordes of the Witch-King (FR9 p26)
4. Delhalls (FRCS p110)
5. Talagbar (FRCS p110)
6. Palischuk [population 9,211] [half-orc (gray)] (PotWK p59,62) (FRCS p110) (RoF p68) (FR9 p21,28-29) (D:WA p8) (PotWK p59,62) (RotP 43,47,175-177)
a. Once grand fortress in ruins rebuilt by a tribe of nearly ten thousand half-orcs (RoF p68) (FR9 p29) (FRCS p110)
b. Good trading relations with Ironspur dwarves and Bloodstone Pass and Darmshall humans (FR9 p21,29) (FRCS p110) strong ally of Damara and King Gareth because they saved them from the Witch-King (RotP p175-177)
c. Transcendent half-orc community (FR9 p21,29) (FRCS p110)
d. Northeast Vaasa, in clear view of the Great Glacier (PotWK p59)
e. Citizens called Palishchukians (PotWK p62)
f. Friendly to dwarves, act in accordance to their human side (D:WA p8)
g. Have experience in handling the dangers of all Vaasan threats (RotP p43)
h. Weary Wanderer [largest tavern in Palishchuk] (RotP p43,47)
7. Icerun Glacier (FRCS p110)
8. Demoncysts (CoR p131)
9. Ishe (GG p79-81)
a. Near the confluence of Damara, Vaasa, and the Great Glacier (GG map, 79-81)
b. Frozen Finger [decrepit inn] (GG p79-80) Ishe’s only inn
10. The Pit (FR9 p42)
a. Creation of the Witch-King (FR9 p42)
11. Ruins of Moortown (FR9 map)
12. Hot Springs (FR9 map)
13. Nigel’s Ford (FR9 map)
14. Grand Dragon Statue (PotWK p123)
a. Zhengyi artifact that has since sank into the bogs north of Darmshall (PotWK p123)
15. Many dragon lairs in the Palishchuk region (PotWK p125)
16. Castle D’Aerthe (PotWK p115-119,157-164,181) (RotP p43,140-142)
a. Created by Zhengyi artifact, a tome of creation (PotWK p115-119,157-164,183)
b. Within sight of Palishchuk (PotWK p160,188) only a few miles North of Palischuk (RotP p43) Main gate faces south and flanked by two towers (RotP p183)
c. Description of exterior (PotWK p213-219,244)
i. Flagstone walkway (PotWK p213)
ii. Great Portcullis (PotWK p213-216)
iii. Lower bailey [outer bailey] (PotWK p213)
iv. Two Gatehouses [with stairways and tunnels inside] (PotWK p217)
v. Central Keep [three stories] (PotWK p218,255-259,262)
vi. Inner Bailey (PotWK p218)
vii. Dark stone and iron construction (PotWK p218)
viii. Great Chamber [tunnels that lead to it] (PotWK p218)
ix. Stable [against wall right beside left gatehouse] (PotWK p218)
x. Blacksmithy [against wall right beside right gatehouse] (PotWK p218)
xi. Barracks [along left and right walls to base of inner bailey wall] (PotWK p218)
xii. Courtyard Tower (PotWK p219)
xiii. Seventy feet from the inner gatehouse to the Central Keep’s door (PotWK p244)
xiv. Dungeons (PotWK p309-31)
xv. Magically repairs itself of any damage (RotP p143)
xvi. Thirty foot high walls (RotP p142)
17. Skelem [ruins] (MotM p117-121)
a. Located in the Galena foothills, 20 miles south of Bloodstone Pass (MotM p117)
b. Nature has completely reclaimed what was once a thriving town (MotM p117)
c. Lies beneath a blanket of snow most of the year (MotM p117)
d. Secret complex of chambers located below the city (MotM p117)
e. Map of Skelem (MotM p118)
18. Cult of the Dragon enclave (Ruin p285-286)
a. Designed to create dracoliches (Ruin p285-286)
b. Located northeast of The Ride (Ruin p285-286)
c. Kitchen, shrine, workshop (Ruin p285-286)
19. Goblin hideout [unknown location] (RotP p15-18)
20. Mountainshadow Bog (RoS p100)
a. Crossed by human clans only during dense foggy conditions so Dragonmen can’t see to attack (RoS p100)
b. Located in the shadows of the Peaks of the Dragonmen [Western Galenas?]
(RoS p100,110)
21. Peaks of the Dragonmen (RoS p110)
22. Granite Tower (Summ p19,117,123) (Sorc p339)
a. 20 noble families of the Moor Eagle clan live here (Summ p19,73,84-85)
b. Made of dark black granite (Summ p73)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:36:51  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
B. Factions/NPCs
1. Zhengyi the Witch-King [destroyed lich – wizard 30 - ruler of Vaasa] (FR9) (H1) (H2) (H3) (H4 p12,19-20) (PotWK) (GTotR p116,118) (D:WA p14-36) (CotR p37) (CotR p87) (GHotR p139,142,144)
a. Entirely skeletal (H4 p19)
b. Rotting robes with gold-spun thread (H4 p19-20)
c. Wears a dragon skull hood (H4 p19)
d. Former Red Wizard of Thay (H4 p20) (FR9 p14)
e. Zhengyi was a paranoid recluse and allowed no envoys from evil nations/faiths (PGFR p124) (CotR p87)
f. He killed an entire contingent of Red Wizards who sought an audience (PGFR p124) (CotR p87)
g. Description (D:WA p14)
h. Rotund and robust in former life (D:WA p17)
i. Used illusions to appear as former self when approaching potential allies for the first time (D:WA p17)
2. The Church of Tiamat (CotD p61) (DoF p69-74)
a. Hesthera Draketalons [LE Vaasan female cleric 14 of Tiamat] (CotD p62) (DoF p74)
b. Handmaidens of the Undying Queen (CotD p62) (DoF p74)
c. Multi-headed dracolich (CotD p62); The Undying Queen avatar – undead version of the Chromatic Dragon - used in Tiamat’s plan to subvert the Cult of the Dragon (PaP p134-137)
d. Seek metallic dragon eggs and corpses to feed the Undying Queen (PaP p136)
e. Chromatic dragons of Castle Perilous (FRCS p110) (FR9 p14,22,37) (GTotR p116,118) (DoF p9) (GG p8)
f. Tiamat is gathering a huge flight of dragons in Castle Perilous for revenge against the Damaran mortals who defeated her avatar (PaP p134-136) (GG p8) (FR9 p22,37) (DoF p9) (GTotR p118) (GHotR p144)
g. Oversee massive breeding program in Castle Perilous, creating Spawn of Tiamat, using monsters from the area (DoF p9,74)
h. Church of Tiamat and the Church of Bahamut followers race to seek out impact points of lightning strikes and gather eggs (DoF p10)
i. White Dragon flight from Great Glacier (GG p8) (FR9 p37)
j. Dragons rule supreme, commanding petty nations of nonhumans and human savages (GHotR p116)
3. Cult of the Goat’s Head [Orcus/Tenebrous] (DD p24) (RoF p91) (CotR p87)
4. Cult of the Dragon (H4 p82-83) (CotD p54,62) (PaP p134-137) (DoF p5-6,9-10,52- 58)
a. There is a cell located in the Western Galenas in an abandoned cloud giant floating citadel. They bribe dragons of the Galenas to join their cause. (DoF p56)
5. Undead drow mistresses (DD p25)
a. Rumored to be Zhengyi’s harem but actually followers of Kiaransalee (DD p25)
b. Hunt the Black Holes of Sunderland for Orcus followers (DD p25)
6. Seekers (VGM p119) (PGFR)
a. Bublim Barboast [gnome illusionist] (PGFR)
b. Esta Starchild [elven cleric of Selune] (PGFR)
c. Furian Arcanus [half-elven mage/cleric of Mystra] (PGFR)
d. Lorrick [dwarven fighter] (PGFR)
e. Samkin Silvertooth [halfling rogue] (PGFR)
f. Trothgar [human ranger] (PGFR)
7. Tenblades [adventuring band] (FRCS p110)
a. Gelgar Talonguard [ranger 15 of Helm]
8. Citadel of Assassins (FRCS p110)
9. Banak [cleric of ??????] (FR9 p5,45,54) (H1 p29) (H1 Roster Book p3)
a. Power declined from 24th level upon the fall of Orcus (FR9 p45)
b. He is now 20th level but receiving divine spells from unnamed deity (FR9 p45)
10. White Worm [barbarian tribe – population 300] (GG p8) (FR9 p14,41,50,59-60)
a. Independent, fierce (GG p8) (FR9 p59)
b. Damara interested in opening diplomatic relations with White Worm (FR9 p14)
c. Emissary from Damara is Kane (FR9 p14,50)
d. Blond hair, tall, strong build (FR9 p21)
e. Have mystical symbioses with Nature [totem beast is the white worm] (FR9 p21,22)
f. Travel mostly withing 50 miles of the Great Glacier or on the Ice Run (FR9 p59)
11. Hea-Rem [chieftan of the White Worm] (FR9 p60)
12. Kura-winther [elite body guard of the White Worm chieftan] (FR9 p60)
a. Also called Worm-Victors (FR9 p60)
b. Have to defeat a remorhaz single-handedly to become Kura-winther (FR9 p60)
13. The Ulk [tribal shaman] (FR9 p60)
a. Wields more power than the chieftan (FR9 p60)
b. Can call upon the spirit of the remorhaz and go into a supernatural trance, in such a trance he gives off enough heat to cause 10-100 pts damage with a bear hug. The tribe can be warmed just by the shaman when in this trance (FR9 p60)
14. Hedweck [barbarian 14] (FR9 p49,60)
a. White Worm’s “Spirit Hunter” (FR9 p49)
b. Magical enhancement ‘gifts’ from the tribe’s shaman The Ulk (FR9 p49)
c. Follower of Tempus (FR9 p49)
d. If defeated, corpse transforms into semblance of a remorhaz and dissipates (FR9 p49)
15. Kahil Brogman [explorer / fighter 4] (GG p80)
a. Lives in Ishe (GG p79-80)
16. Vurl. (GG p80)
a. Innkeeper of the Frozen Finger in Ishe (GG p80)
17. Lothchas [bandit lord - fighter 15] (FR9 p15) (PGFR p117) (H4 p83) (CotR p52,54)
a. Small band frequents the area of the Ice Gorge (PGFR p117) (CotR p52,54) secret hideout found northeast of the Moonsea area (SotR p44)
b. Fifty followers in his band [all above level 9, all of non-good alignment] (CotR p52,54)
18. Blue dragons [loose-knit group of six in southern Vaasa] (D p34)
19. Garuk One-Ears [humanoid tribe] (FR9 p55)
a. Led by Garuk [goblin fighter 5] (FR9 p55)
b. Initiation to the tribe involves cutting off left ear and receiving gold in return; the ears are then secretly turned in for bounties at the Vaasan Gate by a half-orc middleman from Palishchuk (FR9 p55)
20. Wingham’s Rascals (PotWK p61-64) (FR9 p61)
a. Travelling troupe that performs skits, sings, dances, and sells exotic weapons and foreign goods (PotWK p62) (FR9 p61)
b. They settle down for the winter and sell weapons out of a store in the Vaasan Gate (FR9 p61)
c. Weird Wingham [owner] [troupe of a dozen other half-orcs] (FR9 p61) (PotWK p32,61-69,100-101,115-120,157-164,169-173,182-183,200-205,329-330) (RotP p47-50)
d. Twenty colored wagons that line up in a circle with one opening (PotWK p61,63,139-141,146,153-155,173-178)
e. Also called Weird Wingham’s Wacky Weapon Wielders (PotWK p61) (FR9 p61)
f. Set up occasionally outside of the South Gate of Palishchuk (PotWK p116)
21. Arctigis [ancient white dragon] (H4 p12,14-16)
22. The Silent Axe [dwarven adventuring band] (FR11 p63)
23. Arrayan Faylin [half-orc wizard] (PotWK p59-69,95-96,99-101,115-119,161- 164,183,188-205,218-292,298-315,325-332) (RotP p24,47-50,54-56,139- 141,146,153-155,162-166)
a. Weird Wingham’s niece (PotWK p61)
b. Shows no orcish features, could easily be mistaken as human (RotP p48)
c. Fiery red hair (RotP p162)
24. Olgerkhan [half-orc fighter] (PotWK p60-66,95-96,99-101,115-119,157-164,169- 173,183,188-205,214-292,298-319,323-332) (RotP p24,47,54-56,139- 141,146,153-155)
25. Gools [goblin scout] (PotWK p78-79,98)
26. Nyungy [half-orc bard] (PotWK p157-164,204-205) (RotP p49-50)
27. Lichspawns, Dracolichspawns of Zhengyi (PotWK p1-18,25)
a. Created by a tome of ‘creation’ penned by the Witch-King, these tomes also create an immense fortress from the life-force of the person who will become the lichspawn (PotWK p8,12,25,65-67, 117-120,135-137)
b. Description of how it works (PotWK p261) (D:WA p31-36)
c. Urshula [black dracolich] (PotWK p25,306,311-321,328-330,340,341) (RotP p44-45,60-61) story of his transformation (D:WA p9-36)
28. Urshula [black dracolich] (PotWK p25,306,311-321,328-330,340,341) (DoF p157) story of his transformation (D:WA p9-36)
a. Full name - Kazmil-urshula-kelloakizilian (D:WA p11)
b. Horns are seven feet long (D:WA p9)
c. Tribes of gobins worship him (D:WA p12)
d. Called the ‘Beast of the Bog’ (D:WA p11)
e. Slaughtered entire clan of dwarves (D:WA p12)
f. Lair just north of Palishchuk (D:WA p12) reached only through underground river
g. Father of all black dragons in the Bloodstone region (D:WA p15)
h. Speaks in third person (D:WA p19)
29. Pergiss MacRingle, Nordwinnil Feldhammer, Ringo Heffenstone – members of a Vaasan dwarven clan that was annihilated by Urshula (D:WA p7-11)
30. Honoringast [red dragon] (D:WA p16)
a. Served Zhengyi (D:WA p16)
b. Strong magic user (D:WA p16)
31. Kastrandrethilian [LG female young adult silver dragon] (DoF p152)
32. Enthranos [male adult blue dragon] (DoF p149) (MotM p115-117)
33. Razylymingeir [female juvenile steel dragon] (DoF p142,155) (Dungeon #53 p54- 71)
a. Lives as a human in Darmshall, keeping an eye on the goings on at Castle Perilous (DoF p142)
b. Nicknamed ‘Steelheart’ (DoF p142, 155)
34. Grigel Rayenev [deceased wizard] (Ruin p334-335)
a. Cult of the Dragon wizard of the enclave, killed by Ssalangan (Ruin p334-335)
35. Ssalangan [white dragon] (Ruin p11,136-137,334-335)
a. Last seen at the Cult of the Dragon enclave (Ruin p334-335)
36. Glacialmacus [mighty white dragon] (RotP p88-89)
a. Severely injured by Kane at the battle of Great Fork Ford (RotP p88-89)
b. Current whereabouts unknown (RotP p88-89)
37. Moor Eagles [human clan] (RoS p96-121)
a. Tribe of human Vaasans (RoS p96)
b. Well trained, disciplined warriors (RoS p106)
c. Formerly led by Bodvar Thorsdotter [deceased] (RoS p96-121) (Sorc p288)
i. Armor of dragon scales, sapphire blue eyes, deep red hair (RoS p98,100)
d. Idona [Bodvar’s wife, deceased] black hair, clear blue eyes (RoS p111)
e. Unnamed healing witch (RoS p118)
f. Some Moor Eagles have white hair, white beards, solid black eyes, and ivory skin from a magical transformation after using a shadow sword (RoS p121)
g. Known for their honesty (RoS p97)
h. Wear white dragonscale belts (Summ p4)
i. Meleguant Tanthul forged darkswords for the clan that have been passed down four generations (Sorc p107-108)
j. Wield darkswords as a part of their heritage - pass them down as heirlooms to next generation (Summ p4,5,57,84)
i. Provide darksight Vaasans call 'shadow vision' (Summ p12)
ii. A non-shade who touches them will burn hands (Summ p13) (Sorc p107-108)
iii. Fly back to hand of wielder (Summ p121)
iv. If weapon is lost, son's name will be lost, nobility tied to sword (Summ p84,85)
v. Darkswords inherit foibles from their wielders over time (Summ p123)
vi. Darkswords can penetrate ANY armor (Summ p116-117)
j. Sterad, Burlen, Kuhl, Dexom, Vala (Summ p7,30) names of some Moor Eagles
i. Burlen's darksword hums in combat (Summ p123)
ii. Dexon's darksword talks in its sleep (Summ p123) (Siege p83) Dexon now lives in Evereska (Sorc p338)
iii. Kuhl's sword grows pale unless plunged in mead daily (Siege p83) sword carries a curse that opens user to their shadow self (Sorc p288,298) Kuhl's ancestors were also cursed by sword (Sorc p288) now carried by Takari (Sorc p339)
k. Twenty noble Moor Eagle families live in the Granite Tower (Summ p19,73,84- 85) - built by Melegaunt Tanthul (RoS96-121) (Summ p116-117)
i. Held together by the Oath of Bodvar (Summ p73, 116-117) - in return for service at a later time [when Shade reyurns], Melegaunt built the Moor Eagle clan an impregnable keep of black granite and armed 20 warriors
with 20 darkswords (Summ p116-117) (Sorc p107-108,156)
l. Galaeradon and Takari [elves] [Moor Eagles by marriage living in the Granite Tower] (Sorc p339) (Summ) (Siege) (Sorc)
i. Takari carries Kuhl's child and darksword (Sorc p339)
38. Whitescales [dragonmen] (RoS p100,105,108-110,119)
a. Live in the Peaks of the Dragonmen (RoS p110)
b. Called “whitescales” by Vaasans, their race is dragonmen (RoS p119)
c. Scaly white bodied, wings, long pointed tails, craggy saurian heads, long snouts, swept-back horns, huge yellow eyes (RoS p105,108)
d. Use curved swords, some cast spells, dive with sun at their backs toward enemies for surprise (RoS p105,108-109)
e. Same as "Dragonkin" found in Monsters of Faerun or Draconomicon?
f. Also called saurians (Sorc p288)
39. Mariabronne the Rover [deceased ranger of Mielikki] (FR9 p51) (PotWK p31- 33,67-68,101,115-125,139-156,165-169,176,182,189-205,213-274) (RotP p87- 88)
a. Also called the Tamer of Vaasa (PotWK p123)
40. Vala Thorsdotter (Summ) (Siege) (Sorc)
a. Beautiful features, honey-colored hair, blue eyes (Summ p5)
b. Bodvar’s great granddaughter (Summ p25)
c. Has son named Sheldon (Summ p61,123) (Siege p61)
d. Has horse named Raven (Summ p26)
e. Her darksword can contact Granite Tower by Dreamwalking (Summ p123) (Siege p61)
f. Can't write (Siege p166)
g. Prays to Tempus (Siege p184)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:37:37  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C. Geography/Climate
1. “Bloodstone Lands” refers to the two countries of Vaasa and Damara (FR9 p2)
2. Unclaimed wasteland of frozen moors and tundra (FR9 p2) (FRCS p109) (GTotR p118) cold unpleasant wildlands (CotR p87)
3. Summers last only a few weeks (FR9 p2) (FRCS p109) (PotWK p117) freezes before Highharvestide (RoS p111)
4. Freezing winds from the Great Glacier (FR9 p2) (FRCS p109)
5. Summers make the area a vast bog of sludge and mud (FR9 p3) (FRCS p109) (GTotR p118) Vernal pools develop in spring and summer (D:WA p8) spongy peat, bog mud is frigid (RoS p94) bogs are thawed and nearly impenetrable during summer, heavy armor makes you sink (GTotR p118) (Dungeon #53 p55,58) stench of rotten wood (Dungeon #53 p59)
6. Vaasan Bogs around Beaumaris River are “bottomless” (FR9 p3,35) (FRCS p110) (PotWK p51)
a. Magical hot springs (FR9 p35)
7. Small tracts of arable land available in certain places but nowhere can be found a large enough area of arable land to support a large city (FR9 p3) (FRCS p109)
8. Isolated from the rest of Faerun by Galena Mountians and Great Glacier (FRCS p110)
9. Beaumaris River (FR9 p32)
a. Suitable for small canoes and rowboats (FR9 p32)
b. Freezes in winter, travel by sleds (FR9 p32)
10. Dead Man’s Walk (FR9 map)
a. Road that runs beside the Beaumaris River (FR9 map)
11. Hard edged stones, skeletons of long-dead trees, soft sucking bogs, land blasted by march of armies and fires from wizard spell and dragon breath (PotWK p112)
12. Vaasan blizzards (RotP p105)
13. Bounty Hunters mostly don’t try to search for quarry in winter, spend winters in Damaran cities (RotP p105)
14. “Two-Year Freeze” – what locals call the phenomenon where the summer never gets warm enough to melt the ice – last occurred in 1337 with folk tales spread to the children that it was caused by a White Dragon (RotP p139)
15. Vision during Vaasan fog is 20 paces at best (RoS p94) Vaasa covered in fog (Dungeon #53 p59)
16. Gardens are rare in Vaasa (Siege p4)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:38:18  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

D. Politics/Laws
1. No established government (FRCS p109) (FR9 p14)
a. Typical residence is rural, frontier town guarded by a lord’s keep or fortified abbey (RoF p92)
b. Squatters’ Rights in regards to claims on land (FR9 p14)
2. Former dictatorship under Zhengyi (FRCS p109)
3. Gray Orc tribes: The word of the tribal cleric is law (RoF p66)
4. Palischuk is a strong ally of Damara and King Gareth because they saved them from the Witch-King (RotP p175-177)
5. Barbarian: tribal law [shaman more powerful than chieftain] (GG p8) (FR9 p14,41,50,59-60)
6. Vaasans believe in monogamy and honor it completely (Summ p264,269)
7. Vaasan men can marry interacially but must give children Vaasan names (Sorc p338)
8. Vaasans lack "court etiquette" (Sorc p338)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:40:34  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

E. Economics/Trade
1. Bloodstone – 90% Toril output from Vaasa/Damara (VGM p37,126)
a. Used as a coagulant (VGM p38) (Dragon #248 p44)
b. Used as an invisibility/divination/weather magic component (VGM p37-38) (Dragon #248 p44)
2. Trade routes and mountain passes into and out of Vaasa
a. Deadman Pass [connects Vaasa to The Ride] (RoS p94)
b. Garumn’s Climb [connects Vaasa to Thar] listed as Gramble‘s Climb on FR9 map (FR9) - Glister is on the Thar side of this mountain pass and is a trading post between Vaasa and Thar (CotR p46)
c. Unnamed subsurface tunnels [connect Thar to Vaasa/Damara] (PGFR p120-125)
d. Bloodstone Pass [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FRCS p107) (FR9 p9-10,26,32) (H1 10-30) maps (H1 p12) (H2 inside cover) (H3 inside cover)
e. The High Walk [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FR9 p34)
f. Skelem to Darmshall (MotM)
3. Roads in Vaasa (RoS p94)
a. "Roads" through the bogs are made from split logs stacked horizontally (RoS p94)
b. Dead Man’s Walk (FR9 map)
i. Road that runs beside the Beaumaris River (FR9 map)
ii. Road forks at base of Deadman’s Pass (RoS p94)
4. Exports: Gems, furs (FRCS p88,109) (Dragon #137 p17 [prices of furs])
a. Mountains are rich in metals and gems (FRCS p109)
5. Imports: Food, weapons (FRCS p109)
6. Palischuk Half-orcs trade peacefully with neighbors (RoF p68)
7. Vaasans are hard bargainers (Summ p117)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:41:26  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

F. Demographics
1. Population 145,440 (FRCS p109)
a. Humans 60%, Dwarves 30%, Half-orc (gray) 9%, other 1%; Human ethnic breakdown: Vaasan 85%, Damaran 10%, Sossrim 4%, other 1% (FRCS p109) (RoF p111)
2. Vaasans (RoF p109)
a. Descendants of two waves of humans: Netherese and Chondathans (RoF p109)
b. Language is Damaran; bonus languages are Abyssal, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Uliuk (FRCS p32) Speak a mixture of common and dwarven and even some orc words (FRCS p110) Language is harsh, raspy (Summ p5)
c. Regional Feats are Blooded, Bullheaded, Foe Hunter, Survivor, Horse Nomad (FRCS p32) Arctic Adaptation, Axethrower, Tireless (PGtF p15)
d. Show Sossrim heritage (RoF p88)
e. Land was settled when The Great Glacier retreated (RoF p109)
f. Ethnic group sometimes referred to as Yuls, Tharrans or Tesharans (RoF p109)
g. Alphabet is Dethek (RoF p111)
h. Sparsely populated (FR9 p3)
i. Hunters, farmers, trappers (FR9 p3) (FRCS p110)
j. Well protected settlements (FRCS p109)
k. Vaasan features: heavy boned, huge, thighs the sizes of elven waists (Summ p4)
l. Miles of mountainside go unclaimed by any civilization (FRCS p109)
m. Olive-skinned, dark hair, thick beards (RoF p110) braided dark hair, shoulder length (Summ p4)
n. Height and weight (PGtF p32)
o. Vaasans used to be seen as ‘harsh but honest’ - now Vaasans viewed as corrupt and sly - wiser than they seem (RoS p97,110)
p. Vaasan women wear large fur clothing (RoS p111)
q. Vaasan women are not at all shy (RoS p112) promiscuous (Siege p169)
r. Scattered, primitive communities (CotR p87)
s. Most live in log houses thatched with mud using cold-forged weapons (Summ p116)
t. Vaasans have uncanny knack for remaining unseen even on barest ground (Sorc p 114)
u. Vaasans have no qualms about killing a defenseless enemy (Sorc p175)
v. Vaasans collect war-victim body parts and add it to their belts (Sorc p179)
3. Shield Dwarves (FRCS p13) (RoF p17)
a. Dwarven regional feats [Galena Mountains]: Dauntless, Foe Hunter, Stoneshaper, Thunder Twin, Tireless (PGtF p19)
b. Dwarven automatic languages [Galena Mountains]: Damaran, Dwarven; Bonus: Chondathan, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon (PGtF p19)
4. Half-orc (FRCS p17) (RoF p91) (PGtF p27)
a. Palischuk [9000+ half-orc] (RoF p68)
b. Automatic Languages [Vaasan half-orc]: Orc, Damaran; Bonus – Dwarven, Giant, Undercommon, Goblin, Uluik (PGtF p27)
c. Once the soldiers of the Witch-King (PGtF p27) (PotWK)
d. Regional Feats [Vaasan half-orc]: Blooded, Dauntless, Surefooted (PGtF p27)
5. Half-ogres (PGFR p124)
6. Gray Dwarves (RoF p14)
7. Goblinoid and Giant population in excess of 200,000 (FR9 p14)
a. Descendants of tribes and clans pushed northward when humans, elves, and dwarves settled to the south of the region (GTotR p116)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:42:44  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

G. Flora/Fauna/Monsters
1. Ghost Rothe (FRCS p314)
2. High Rothe (FRCS p314)
3. Caribou (FRCS p109)
4. Small herbivores (FRCS p109)
5. Gray Orcs (PGFR p124) (RoF p65-66) (Summ p116)
a. Feats: Daylight adaptation, Headlong Rush (RoF p65)
b. More civilized, less-bestial version of orc (RoF p65)
c. Prestige Class: Orc Warlord (RoF p65)
d. Fanatical, religious zealots – many are clerics (RoF p65)
e. Attack bitter rivals instantly, no matter the odds (RoF p65)
f. Nomads (RoF p65)
g. Languages: Orc only; clerics can also speak common, giant, and goblin (RoF p66)
h. Once possessed Conjure Avatar spell (RoF p66)
i. An axe is considered a holy weapon (RoF p66)
j. Pets: dire weasels, dire wolverines, dire boars, owlbears (RoF p66)
6. Bugbears (FRCS p111)
7. Giants (FRCS p111,298) (FR9 p36) (MotM p117-121)
8. Goblins (FRCS p111,298) (RoF p134) (FR9 p36) (PotWK p121)
a. Cannibals, scavengers (FRCS p109)
9. Ogres (PotWK) (PGFR p124) (MotM p117-121)
10. Kobolds (Dragon #216 p100)
11. Scrub plants (FRCS p110)
12. Mountain Orcs (PGtF p27) – *see errata
13. White-furred snakes, Polar Bears, White puddings, Moondogs, winter wolves, trolls (FR9 p22)
14. Leucrotta (FR9 p36)
15. Owl Bears (FR9 p36)
16. Gelatinous Cube (FR9 p37)
17. Elk herds (PotWK p32)
18. Skeletons of long-dead trees (PotWK p112)
19. Tundra Yeti (PotWK p121)
20. Flying snakes (PotWK p146-153)
21. Gnolls (PotWK p307) (Summ p116)
22. Dragonkin (DoF p58) same as Dragonmen found in Realms of Shadow p100?
23. Fire Giants (MotM p117)
24. Yuan-ti (MotM p117)
25. Devils (MotM p121)
26. Wyverns (MotM p117)
27. Remhoraz (MotM p117-118)
28. Frost Worm (MotM p118)
29. Oxen (RoS p94)
30. Mudbreathers [also called Bog People] (RoS p97,101,103,104,107)
a. Can swim in bogs, attracted by vibration (RoS p97)
b. Eel-shaped, slimy brown scales, dorsal barbed fin, webbed hands, powerful shoulders, reptilian head, mouthful of needle-sharp fangs, barb-tipped tongue, froglike face, dead black eyes, hooked finger talons, no legs or feet, lobster-like tail, (RoS p97,101,103,104,107)
c. Immune to weave sleep magic, susceptible to shadow weave sleep (RoS p104)
31. Worgs (Summ p116)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:43:23  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H. Dieties/Temples
1. Tiamat (PaP p133-137) (CotD p61) (DoF p5-10,69-87)
a. Wings of the Queen Reborn [temple - Tiamat’s ‘home away from home’ and base for chuch activities in the Cold Lands region] (PaP p136) (DoF p74)
b. Cavernous cathedral located in the dungeons of the ruins of Castle Perilous (PaP p136)
c. Frequent visits from the Undying Queen, dispatched to Castle Perilous in response to Bahamut planting the Tree-Gem (PaP p136) (DoF p9)
d. Chromatic flights of all hues gather here (PaP p136) (FR9 p22) (DoF p9) (GG p8)
e. Power has grown to the rank of Lesser deity (DoF p9)
f. Temple laboratories are where the breeding pits of Spawn of Tiamat are found (DoF p74)
2. Kiaransalee (DD p24-26) (DDaD p12)
3. Orcus/Tenebrous (DD p24-26) (PGtF p15,189) (FR9 p23,45) (H4 p82)
a. Leaders wore goat-headed headdresses (PGFR p124)
b. It will take Orcus/Tenebrous 100 years to recreate a new Wand of Orcus (H4 p82)
4. Abbathor (DD 48-53)? (DDaD p10)
a. Aefarn, The House of Gold (DD p51)
5. Selune
a. unnamed Shrine to Selune [NW Vaasa in a hidden vale – carved out of a gigantic boulder] (VGM p118) (PGFR p124-126)
6. Entire dwarven pantheon (FRCS p109) (PGtF p19)
7. Entire orc pantheon (FRCS p109) (RoF p66) (PGtF p27)
8. Helm (FRCS p110)
9. Vaasans recognize most deities of the Faerunian Pantheon (RoF p110)
10. Bane (RoF p110) (PGtF p27)
11. Cyric (RoF p110)
12. Auril (RoF p110) (PGtF p15) (DDaD p10)
13. Talos (PGtF p15)
14. Tempus [barbarians pay homage] (FR9 p23,49)
a. Barbarians of the White Worm have a symbiosis with Nature (FR9 p21,22)
b. Barbarians totem is the white worm and they worship it as a patron deity (FR9 p22)
c. Vala, a Moor Eagle, venerates Tempus (Siege p184)
15. Mielikki (FR9 p51)
16. Kossuth (MotM p117,120)
a. Church of Kossuth once a formidable presence in Southern Vaasa (MotM p117)
b. Created a complex of tunnels beneath the town of Skelem where they constructed an artifact called The Elemental Scourge (MotM p117-121)

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 08 Nov 2013 17:45:09
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:44:05  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I. Classes
1. Barbarian (FRCS p22) (GG p8)
2. Rangers (FRCS p26) (FR9 p24)
3. Rogues (FRCS p27)
4. Mountain Druids [Galena Mts.] (Dragon #209 p14)
5. Gray Orc favored class is Cleric (RoF p66)
6. Fighters (FR9 p23,24)
a. Life is hard in the Bloodstone Lands, almost everyone not practicing another adventuring profession is at least a first-level fighter (FR9 p23,24)
b. Rare is the person who is unfamiliar with the use of a weapon (FR9 p24)
c. 1st through 3rd level fighters are common (FR9 p24)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:46:07  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

J. Canon Plots/Adventures
1. Cult of the Dragon vs. Church of Tiamat (CotD p62)
2. Return the ‘Tear of Selune’ (VGM p118-119) (PGFR p12-120)
3. Kiaransalee vs. Orcus/Tenebrous (DD p24-26)
4. Bounty hunting from Vaasan Gate (FRCS p107, 111)
a. Bounties: Giant ear 200gp, bugbears 15gp, goblin 5gp (FRCS p111) (RoS p157)
5. Once again, humanoid tribes are gathering around Castle Perilous (FRCS p111) chromatic dragons are nesting in the ruins of Castle Perilous (GTotR p118)
6. Finding wealth and dwarven artifacts from the ancient dwarven kingdom of Sarphil
(FR11 p60,63)
a. Northern part of Sarphil was in Western Galenas (FR11 p60)
7. Finding Demoncysts and banishing any demons within (CoR p130-131)
8. Cult of Eltab vs. followers of Orcus [Galenas] (CoR p130-131)
a. Wants revenge against Orcus for helping bind him to Faerun (CoR p130-131)
9. Church of Tiamat building army; hunting metallic dragons and their eggs (PaP p136) (DoF p9)
10. Melting Gold [Palischuk explorers found in Great Glacier] (GG p8)
11. Red Wizards interested in Vaasan goblinoid hordes (FR9 p14)
12. Finding a magical hot spring (FR9 p35)
13. Treasure hunting in the Black Holes of the Sunderland (FR9 p36)
14. ‘Castle Perilous’ – plundering Zhengyi’s spellbooks, artifacts, and wealth (FR9 p64)
15. Finding one of Zhengyi’s personal dungeons and uncovering troves of Witch- King artifacts (PotWK p23)
16. The Elemental Scourge (MotM p117-121)
17. Zhengyi made phylacteries for all dragons that live in the Bloodstone Lands and tried to entice them to serve him in exchange for immortality. At least a hundred are known to have existed. Only one has been located. Some of these are embedded into tomes that the Witch-King used to spawn fortresses from the life essence. Many dragons know of this and often hire adventurers to find these phylactery tomes. (RotP p57,60-62,109-110)
18. Adventurers go to Vaasa to make a name for themselves (RoS p162)
19. Banak still lives? (GTotR p118)
20. Steelheart (Dungeon #53 p54-71)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:46:46  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote

K. Miscellaneous
1. Vaasan sayings
a. “Even the tallest horse would wet its belly” [saying about Vaasan bogs] (FR9 p3)
b. “A man’s word is more precious than his life” [Vaasan honesty] (RoS p97)
c. "The fur of the clever fox is finest" (Summ p99)
d. "Sharing the fur" [Vaasan saying for monogamy] (Summ p264)
e. "Life Pledge" [Vaasan term for monogamy] (Summ p264)
f. "In love and death, only the gods choose" [Vaasans believe you can't choose these two things yourself] (Summ p269)
g. Vaasan women are "always in season" [Vaasan women are promiscuous] (Siege p169)
h. "Ice-hatched" [derogatory adjective used towards Vaasans] (Siege p
i. “Two-Year Freeze” – what locals call the phenomenon where the summer never gets warm enough to melt the ice – last occurred in 1337 with folk tales spread to the children that it was caused by a White Dragon (RotP p139)
2. ‘Tear of Selune’ (VGM p118-119) (PGFR p12-120)
a. Battle fought between Zhentarim, mysterious Vaasan force, and Seekers (PGFR p126)
3. Dogsleds and skis used for travel in winter (FRCS p109)
4. Water from hot springs can enhance abilities, heal wounds, or more (FRCS p110)
5. Griffons are favored mounts (RoF p92)
6. Fire Giant-led army searches for an artifact buried under a ruined city (MotM p112-121)
a. Each member of this army can cast five 5-HD fireballs due to infused magicks (MotM p112)
b. Number of troops (MotM)
7. In Vaasa, donned armor is more formal wear than finery (Siege p64)
8. Vaasans routinely sleep in their armor (Siege p284)
9. Even as isolated as Vaasa is, Vaasans know of "The Chosen" (Sorc p171)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  17:53:47  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there ya go guys

sorry no comatose aliens in "my" Faerun so you won't see any of the 4e material posted above, this is 1e-3.5e outline

don't mind the warlock knights actually, sounded pretty cool, just not ready to just wipe out 7 epic level characters without some kind of explanation so i just stuck with pre-spellplague

Tiamat is the main antagonist in the post-Zhengyi area

why introduce to vaasa/damara the normal *cough* boring *cough* evil and good deities when canon provides orcus and tiamat and bahamut?

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 08 Nov 2013 17:54:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is tons of useful information, thankyou I will go through it bit by bit.

I too don't subscribe to the spellplague, what a waste of lore.

However I recognise a good idea when I see it. Players cannot fight and defeat deities, but a primordial is a living breathing target tied to the material plane and so can be killed.

I started another thread on these boards about my theories surrounding primordials and as such do not consider them aliens, just a type of super powerful being that is necessary for spawning life.

Telos is just another one of these and really should have arrived far back in the past rather then recent (the number of asteroid strikes on Faerun is astoundingly high).

The primordials are really just a means to insert super powerful beings that may or may not be evil and have the potential to cause the end of the world. My re-envisioning of Telos certainly makes him a danger to all of Faerun should he survive.

But anyways, my thoughts aside the above list is just awesome. I had completely forgotten about Eltab and the demon cysts which gives another brilliant faction to add into the battleground that is Vaasa.

I am curious about one thing. The very ridiculous tree that Bahamut bestowed upon Gareth Dragonsbane was supposed to banish all demons from the bloodstone lands forever. This doesn't appear to be true since demoncysts obviously still exist in the galenas.

I am wondering if the tree didn't just cast a massive banishing spell on the entire area that probably succeeded in banishing most demons and devils but left the more powerful ones and certainly those in a demoncyst.

I also notice you have had a project ongoing for the bloodstone lands and wondered if you had any thoughts on the creation of the new kingdom of Damara as I couldn't find any details other than it suddenly existed with Dragonsbane as its King. Have you any ideas as to what happened, I had to come up with my own chain of events.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  19:14:51  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The primordial coukd have arrived via the canon selune's tear adventure

See canon plots

And i have an explanation gor the tree gem banishing demons

Lemme look it up

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  19:41:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well everything you have given me is getting researched and collected and put into a word document, although it might take a year to do it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  21:16:10  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason why there are demoncysts in vaasa and narfell is because bahamut's tree-gem only works in each bloodstone land country as long as the countries' leaders "align themsleves with the cause of good"

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  21:22:35  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the tree-gem works in Damara i should add

But not vaasa (until of course damara fully annexes vaasa into the kingdom of bloodstone)

There isn't any canon description of the annexation other than gareth gave out huge land grants in vaasa to anyone who could build a stringhold and hold sway over the denizens in their domain

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  21:29:19  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another explanation i have heard was that while in a demoncyst the demons are in a suspended state and that if anyone ever dug them uo they would then immediately fall under the tree-gem banishment if in damara

There is a reference somewhere about followers of orcus dealing with the tree-gems effects

I'll try to find it

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000