Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Player Handouts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  20:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many of you remember those tomes that you could pick up in the Baldur's Gate game. Those ones that give you alot of background information? Well here is a site that you can download them in a HTML format:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Fan_Worlds/FR/index.htm

I've used these in my games before, they are useful when you want to create the illusion that there is a world around the players. They are also useful to convey information to your players. In those library scenes rather than you reading out the infromation to your players, just have the appropriate one printed of on A4 paper, and Half it like a small leaflet and give it to them! If you have time you can Create a front cover for it! Great stuff here! Plus this tips free.

Thanks to Maecenus of Westgate for reminding me that this website existed!

Oh while I remember this information is the same, or at least similar to what you could find in the FRCS Grand tour of the Realms book.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  10:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for that link Elrond.

I remember loving the details about those books when I played the games. Glad to see that they are available for 'easy reading'!

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Darkechilde
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Darkechilde's Homepage Send Darkechilde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elrond, Many Thanks!

I was asking around for these a few weeks ago, but no one could direct me to a place to get the text - and I wasn't looking forward to transcribing them from the game...

I'm planning to use many of them as handouts for my campaign.

Again, a multitude of thanks!

Bill

Darkechilde

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
--Robin Williams
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:24:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, that was very useful. I used to love reading the tomes on the game. I tried to collect as many as I could and deposited them all on a bookshelf in a house so I could go back and read them or find a specific one for a quest.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:36:37  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Many thanks, that was very useful. I used to love reading the tomes on the game. I tried to collect as many as I could and deposited them all on a bookshelf in a house so I could go back and read them or find a specific one for a quest.

Heheh. I did the same thing. And in Icewind Dale II, when there wasn't a house that I could leave them in, I have ended up carrying them around in the inventory of one of my players. Hey - they are much more fun than a bunch of +3 stuff!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  13:36:52  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*hangs head in shame*

I did exactly the same thing, but I found that the many Bags of Holding available in the games to have the edge over any book case. I based a lot of my adventures on the tomes and books found in the Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale games. I remember copying out one or two of them as well to use as hand outs for the players. Wandering throug the original BG with four of my characters overloaded with books and two fighting... trivial

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"

Edited by - NightElf on 18 May 2004 13:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  19:53:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elrond!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000