Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What form should the 5E Realms Campaign Book take?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  02:56:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I like the parchment style paper that the 1st edition boxed set was printed on. Very classy look and feel, that really sets it apart from other settings and books. Also the use of the stone carved runic art is another set-apart classy touch.

I loved the old stonework logo!

i wish it was coming back

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  03:42:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I like the parchment style paper that the 1st edition boxed set was printed on. Very classy look and feel, that really sets it apart from other settings and books. Also the use of the stone carved runic art is another set-apart classy touch.

The stonework logo was my favourite, though I liked the 3e branded logo for the FORGOTTEN REALMS as well.

In terms of parchment-styled paper... while the 1e example is beneficially nostalgic, I really also did like the 3e parchment-styled pages.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  13:54:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the more I think about it...I 'd love to have it on my ipad...if it is available as an eBook option only, or a free download with purchase(probably the ideal)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  14:19:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see an updated stone-logo.

Just another way of 'bridging the editions'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  10:35:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additional Question: How much of the new book should be given over to other continents in the Realms?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this, particularly if they voted for Grey Box Replica.

==============

One of the things I liked about the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book (FRCS) was the "A Scholar's View of Abeir-Toril" on page 231. The outlying continents were labeled "Unknown Lands", but at least you got an idea of what else was out there.

In this scroll I see that Sleyvas asked for a complete world map, but nobody else has asked for a depiction of the rest of the Realms. My guess going into this scroll was that people would ask for a full world map, given how the Spellplague rearranged things.

Or is it too early to ask for something like this, if the 'now' of the setting timeline moves to just after the Sundering and the Realms beyond Faerun is reset and so in need of exploration?

For myself, I do want a new Scholar's View: one that includes changes to the Realms made in the wake of the Spellplague (dated around 1469-1479 DR) and a separate map made post-Sundering, along with a signature (or signatures) of the sage who drew the map and their last known location.

It's my hope a post-Sundering Realms world map doesn't look identical to the Scholar's View world map in the FRCS and that Laerakond sticks around. Laerakond need not be mentioned in actual book text, but it'd be a nice option to have for DMs that have used/liked Laerakond in the past, as well as a hook to (now older) lore for new DMs to explore.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 01 Sep 2013 11:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  14:31:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a few pages dedicated to Laerakond, and maybe a page or two for the other continents: enough to whet the appetite and to give the really adventuresome a starting point.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  16:12:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely like to see some updated info on Returned Abeir.

And an additional "New Scholarly View of post-Sundering Abeir-Toril" in the 5e campaign book would be something I'd like to see as well.

I would hope for an entire chapter, but space considerations and page count being what they are for RPG books, a few pages is probably all we could realistically expect.

Some renewed focus on the old 2e campaign add-ons, like Kara-Tur and Zakhara, would be some fine-tasting icing on the cake.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  12:36:38  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going on the assumption...good or bad, depending on one's viewpoint...that Laerakond will be following Akanul and Tymanther back to Abeir. That being said, a couple of pages (not including maps) of each of the continents or regions would be awesome. Anchorome, Zakhara, Osse, Katashaka, all of them.

Something like this would be awesome, with similar regional ones:

http://www.realmspire.com/downloads/Abeir-Toril.jpg

I don't expect anything anywhere near 'comprehensive' - Charles Darwin, Abel Tasman, and even James Cook (among others) only skimmed the possibilities of what was in Oceania and the New World, after all. But with the advent of five editions, it's time to flesh things out, I think.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  16:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a before spell plague, after spell plague, after sundering map should all be in there. But as I said before, not as a pull out map, just a page-sized representation so that people can see the changes.

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  17:59:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RL holodeck program ;D
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  19:14:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly I don't think WOTC is in any position to do most of what's been proposed in this thread. After 3E came to an end, we saw fewer and fewer supplements and novels each year. Let's face it, some novel never even saw print! Short stories written as promos or in DDI, I could understand, those can get published extras when a hardcover goes to softcover, but full novels, really? Heck, DDI wasn't even consistent with the amount of material that was being published.

Comparing WOTC to Paizo is a very bad idea too. If you go back and read Paizo's retrospective blog, you'll learn that they took MANY financial risks to put out what and as much as they have in terms of Pathfinder and their other product lines through their post magazine years. WOTC can't do the same, they're not independent anymore and they don't have the resources.

I would love to get 4-5 D&D/Realms supplements every month, but that's not going to happen. And in terms of WOTC offering subscriptions.. I can't remember the last time wizards.com had an online store. I know once upon a time it had one... but.. well, let's face it, if they were going to set up an online store, they'd be selling D&D Classics themselves.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2013 19:15:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  20:05:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Sadly I don't think WOTC is in any position to do most of what's been proposed in this thread. After 3E came to an end, we saw fewer and fewer supplements and novels each year. Let's face it, some novel never even saw print! Short stories written as promos or in DDI, I could understand, those can get published extras when a hardcover goes to softcover, but full novels, really? Heck, DDI wasn't even consistent with the amount of material that was being published.

Comparing WOTC to Paizo is a very bad idea too. If you go back and read Paizo's retrospective blog, you'll learn that they took MANY financial risks to put out what and as much as they have in terms of Pathfinder and their other product lines through their post magazine years. WOTC can't do the same, they're not independent anymore and they don't have the resources.

I would love to get 4-5 D&D/Realms supplements every month, but that's not going to happen. And in terms of WOTC offering subscriptions.. I can't remember the last time wizards.com had an online store. I know once upon a time it had one... but.. well, let's face it, if they were going to set up an online store, they'd be selling D&D Classics themselves.

Why wouldn't WotC have the resources? WotC used to be top dog in the gaming market, and they used to put out a hell of a lot more than Paizo. We're not even asking them to match Paizo, now... But even if we were, why can't the company with all of the name and brand recognition try to match a formula that obviously works well for one of their competitors?

And WotC is not just the D&D product line... Paizo is one game and one setting. WotC is more than that.

If WotC isn't going to do anything more than offer dribs and drabs, they're going to fall off the map. They've already lost a lot of customers, and are no longer the biggest kids on the block. They need to take a chance and offer more, or they're going to just wither away.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  20:59:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why wouldn't WotC have the resources? WotC used to be top dog in the gaming market, and they used to put out a hell of a lot more than Paizo. We're not even asking them to match Paizo, now... But even if we were, why can't the company with all of the name and brand recognition try to match a formula that obviously works well for one of their competitors?

Because year after year we hear about WOTC laying off people. Year after year we see.. this may be a poor choice of words... brand name developers leaving WOTC on their own.

Magic the Gathering might be doing well, but D&D can't be a massive sink hole with Hasbro looking over their shoulder.

quote:

If WotC isn't going to do anything more than offer dribs and drabs, they're going to fall off the map. They've already lost a lot of customers, and are no longer the biggest kids on the block. They need to take a chance and offer more, or they're going to just wither away.

They've been offering dribs and drabs already IMHO. I don't believe anyone at WOTC is going to put their career on the line to get and spend the kind of money they'd need to.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2013 21:00:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  21:07:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Because year after year we hear about WOTC laying off people. Year after year we see.. this may be a poor choice of words... brand name developers leaving WOTC on their own.

Magic the Gathering might be doing well, but D&D can't be a massive sink hole with Hasbro looking over their shoulder.

We don't know that it's money causing the layoffs. And most of the people that have been leaving have been going to pursue other things.

That doesn't stop them from using freelancers -- something WotC already has a long history of doing.

And it doesn't change the fact that they're not going to increase their income without increasing what they offer. Four sourcebooks a year is not all that much, and it's barely worth comparing to what Paizo is doing.

I find it very difficult to believe that WotC, the company with the name and brand recognition, can't even come close to offering what their competition offers.

Honestly, I think the only thing WotC is lacking is the will to do it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Sep 2013 21:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  22:09:36  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo had to take risks because they're a much smaller company trying to scratch out a space in a tight market using very limited resources. WotC was already the top dog and even with the prolonged draw down of 4E and the 5E/Next playtest dropping their output to near nil (aside from a few reprints and edition-neutral offerings), they're still at least the second most selling RPG company on the list.

They've already spent more money and resources than most other companies can dream of in their introductory marketing of 5E/Next/The Sundering (thematic CGI trailer, author summits, novel launches, convention events, traditional advertising).

A print product every quarter for their flagship setting is trivial for them to invest in a sure fire way to get gamer chatter going and establish a permanent placement in game stores.

That's the problem with relying solely on D&DI. An article, no matter the quality, is just that, an article amongst many in a digital magazine of limited scope and reach. I have to sign on to a proprietary system, fork over a month's subscription to access that one article I'm interested in.

With a print product (or more specifically a book form product, which could be released in electronic format), I could stop in my local game store, find it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, get it used on eBay, half-priced books, etc. My friend who has it can lend it to me, etc. It would be a longer product with more information to digest, to play with, to discuss.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  23:23:57  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, while it was deemed divisive and schismatic in earlier discussions here and elsewhere, I wouldn't mind one-shot hardbacks (say 320 or 400 pages) portraying a snap shot of a particular era of the Realms.

Starting with the "Big Grey Book" as a cleaned up, slightly expanded, reorganized, and 5E but retro take on the Old Grey Box (and perhaps summaries of the first few FR campaign expansion modules) set in the 1350s. Setting entries, locales, deities, and characters would borrow era appropriate bits and pieces from later works or from Ed's own notes. Places such as the Old Empires could be included but the veneer of the ancient Near East could be shaved down a bit and "Realmsified", but not eradicated or replaced altogether. This is not so much a definitive take on the Grey Box, but a slightly revised modern take on it, smoothing over the rougher bits, adding in a few pieces of the setting that became iconic since the release of the original. Editor would be Ed guiding a handful of regular Realms freelancers, maybe a forward by Jeff Grubb.

Other entries into the line would be revised and compiled versions of older Arcane Age supplements or similar ideas, could include:

- Netheril, the Arcane Age - covering the various ages of the Empire of Magic.
- The Rysars - covering near-present elven empires like Cormanthor/Myth Drannor, maybe Evermeet. Maybe supported with a Weeping War adventure path.
- The Crown Wars - aiming for earlier elven eras.
- We, Imaskari - ditto for the long history of the Imaskari.
- Against the Magelords - Adventure in the time of Athalantar and contemporaries.
- Skyfire Centuries - the eras of Calimshan at the height of the genie lords.
- The Shadow Chronicles - a "What If" Shar really almost won during the Spellplague truly post-apocalyptic version of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  00:58:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Dark Wizard's idea a heck of a lot, but think that the only way this could be done is via some sort of Historical Adventure Path. In other words, a series of adventures set in a past historical period of the Realms with appropriate background details, and new crunch (i.e. new feats, class options, spells and magic items - naturally this will all depend on the ultimate game mechanics showcased in 5E). The only problem is that Paizo does one of these a year. WotC would likely only be able to manage one a year also. In the cycle of D&D, that would mean probably about 6-7 max of these before we get D&D Next Next.

Of course, they could do scaled down versions and squeeze out two a year, but then what support would they give the present-day 5E Realms? I thought that the 4E Realms failed to inspire the masses for a few reasons, but the main one was a total lack of constant product support and new info. If the 5E model for campaign world support is going to change from the 4E version (and surely it must), then I would prefer that WotC look forward and give us the 5E Realms in glorious detail, rather than go back in history to let us adventure during the Crown Wars.

Of course, in a perfect world they do both! Now THAT would be awesome.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  08:16:39  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both would be awesome, but probably not feasible in the long run. As much as I want more, I think a one-shot for each era is the best we can get. Support could be offered through D&DI, which is not half bad once the main book is out in market to drive interest.

They shouldn't do historical versions of the Realms at the expense of the current Realms, that would piss off a lot of folks even as it pleases another bunch.

Paizo actually releases about two adventure paths a year. The current one, Wrath of the Righteous, just starting is their 13th AP. The big hardback Rise of the Runelords released earlier this year compiling and updating their first Pathfinder AP (3.5E to PFRPG rules) marked the 5th anniversary of that adventure. The Shattered Star (AP series 11) was also a 5th year celebration of sorts and their first sequel AP (to RotRL, naturally). In addition, each AP comes with a set of Player's Companion and PF Campaign Setting books (usually one each) and sometimes the PF Module series has one adventure related to the AP. This is not counting other Player's Companions, Setting or Modules released on their regular schedule. And the novels, albeit not on as an aggressive schedule as WotC. And the PFRPG Game hardbacks (these are usually generic core for the most part).

Paizo releases a lot of material every year (every month even). It gives them potential for occupying a lot of shelf space at FLGS's and book stores and setting off the "Also bought" linkages at internet retailers. WotC did it for 4E, probably on a similarly rapid pace, but very little of it was setting related. WotC also has many more settings to support, which makes for a major difference.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  11:52:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think WotC had anything approaching Paizo's publishing schedule during 4E, and they weren't offering that much setting support.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  13:10:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they had a different approach then - the company had gone 'D&D-centric', and wanted to eliminate the individual setting fanbases (which they did, but NOT the way they intended lol). The idea was that folks would be 'D&D players' first and foremost, and the 'adventure anywhere' format (Feywild, Shadowfel) was a big part of that (design one adventure that could be used in multiple settings). It was actually a good goal, but they messed it up.

Now they want to focus on FR, and as far as I know, they haven't even given a thought to other settings (yet). That means FR won't be the flagship setting, it will be THE setting. This means they will be able to focus on FR as never before, the way other (one-setting) companies can.

And I also love Dark Wizard's idea about period-specific products (as well as Gazeteer-style regional ones). I think that would go a long way... strike that... an unbelievabley HUGE way.. to smoothing-out the rough edges with ALL the fan-bases right now (in other words, it would shoot the edition-wars in the foot).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Sep 2013 13:11:08
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  14:01:22  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
- The Rysars - covering near-present elven empires like Cormanthor/Myth Drannor, maybe Evermeet. Maybe supported with a Weeping War adventure path.
- Against the Magelords - Adventure in the time of Athalantar and contemporaries.
- The Shadow Chronicles - a "What If" Shar really almost won during the Spellplague truly post-apocalyptic version of the Realms.

I love this, but let's not forget The Rise of Thay and The Shoon Imperium!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  15:09:27  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see it take a form similar to that of the 3.0 Realms Campaign Setting book, though with less focus on stats. NPC stats that is, regional feats, classes/specializations/kits/backgrounds/whatever-they-end-up-being-called, spells, etc. can be present if there is room (though that seems more suited to a Player's Guide book to the Realms). Important or noteworthy NPCs...I'd rather they do it similarly to the Forgotten Realms Adventures book of 2e (give us the class, perhaps levels, and any noteworthy tactic(s) or things this NPC is known for in very brief summary).

I do like Dark Wizard's concept though, that seems quite interesting (though sounds remarkably similar to what TSR was doing in their last days in existence).

I'd prefer it to be edition neutral (as much as can be anyway). I say that because I'd love to come back to the Realms, but I'll be continuing to use Pathfinder rules, as I've settled in nicely with them (the D&D brand is very much dead to me, and so was the 4e Realms...but I'd very much like to come back to the Realms if Toril comes to resemble its old self again...resemble I say, not be exactly as it was before 4e). Apologies if that seems somewhat antagonistic, I'm not intending to ignite any more Edition Wars crapola, just offering where I stand as a consumer.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  16:04:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I'd like to see it take a form similar to that of the 3.0 Realms Campaign Setting book, though with less focus on stats. NPC stats that is, regional feats, classes/specializations/kits/backgrounds/whatever-they-end-up-being-called, spells, etc. can be present if there is room (though that seems more suited to a Player's Guide book to the Realms). Important or noteworthy NPCs...I'd rather they do it similarly to the Forgotten Realms Adventures book of 2e (give us the class, perhaps levels, and any noteworthy tactic(s) or things this NPC is known for in very brief summary).

That's a good point -- the page-long stat blocks really need to be avoided. Throw it into a web enhancement if you must, or go back to the approach of prior editions and let DMs do what they need to with the stats.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  16:25:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:

I love this, but let's not forget The Rise of Thay and The Shoon Imperium!

I have been saying something like that for years. Use the Star Wars Sage Edition template. The Crown Wars Campaign Guide. The Weeping War Campaign guide for example, with supplements to use in any time frame.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  22:08:46  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is whatever I buy for the new realms will be the first money WotC has seen from me in the better part of ten years. By even buying anything from them, I'll be breaking my word to never give them another red cent. I know the first few months of a product is usually the best indication of the success or failure of that product, but they had better put out something of amazing, never before seen, quality and detail for me to get on board.

That said, my preference would be a large Campaign Guide, all fluff no crunch, and a large Player's Guide with mostly crunch but some fluff related to how different classes are perceived in different parts of the Realms. The product should be able to stand alone, because you can bet I'm not going back to buy any 4e material just so I can know what some reference means.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)

Edited by - Mystic Lemur on 04 Sep 2013 03:34:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  22:24:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Lemur

All I know is whatever I buy for the new realms will be the first money WotC has seen from me in the better part of ten years. By even buying anything from them, I'll be breaking my word to never give them another red cent.

And that's why I avoided declaring a personal boycott -- I simply stated I'd not buy from them until they put out something I'd want. The end result was pretty much the same -- they got maybe $20 from me, for the entire 4E era -- but it left me an easy out.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  17:56:54  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Lemur

All I know is whatever I buy for the new realms will be the first money WotC has seen from me in the better part of ten years. By even buying anything from them, I'll be breaking my word to never give them another red cent.

And that's why I avoided declaring a personal boycott -- I simply stated I'd not buy from them until they put out something I'd want. The end result was pretty much the same -- they got maybe $20 from me, for the entire 4E era -- but it left me an easy out.

Hmm... I probably should have done this, instead of personal boycotting WotC. But I suppose it's not too late to change...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  18:54:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had Wooly's attitude, but it wasn't any sort of 'formal declaration'. My loyalty goes as far as what I like (and I apply that to everything in life, not just games). If something suits me, I go with it, if not, I don't bother with it. I (usually) don't actively campaign against something unless it has really irked me in some way.

My whole problem with 4e was that they felt they needed to 'reinvent' FR, which was not only completely unnecessary, it was just a really BAAAAAD business decision; in the end, destroying that what makes your fans fans is kinda stupid, no? Thats like a pizza parlor finding out that everyone prefers their Sicilian (square) pizza over their regular, and so they get rid of their Sicialian pizza... only to find that that was 90% of their business. You can't force your customers to like what YOU like. Thus, 4e irked me.

So, if they produce something I like, I'll buy it. If paizo stops producing stuff I like, I won't buy any more from them. I don't think thats something that needs a declaration - its just called being an intelligent consumer. Loyalty for loyalty sake is brainless - I used to buy EVERYTHING TSR, and then I realized I wasn't even reading half of it. That was just plain dumb on my part.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

That's a good point -- the page-long stat blocks really need to be avoided. Throw it into a web enhancement if you must, or go back to the approach of prior editions and let DMs do what they need to with the stats.

If they are truly going to make an attempt at this 'edition neutral' paradigm (and I think they should - it sounds like pure win), then it would make perfect sense to put ALL the stats online - maybe even behind their paywall. Some folks don't even play (more then many of us realize), and only want to enjoy the story behind RPG worlds. Imagine how great FR (and any D&D) products could be if they were almost pure fluff, and they kept all the rules 'elsewhere'? That would make the books ideal for everyone, including people who have no desire to 'play by their rules'. This way, no-one will feel like they are paying for something they will never use - there could be a different section of the DDi for each edition, with rules for each sourcebook. That really shouldn't be too hard - they could probably enlist a lot of fans (including the old RPGA folks) to do a lot of that. In fact, that would mean the stat-blocks themselves weren't 100% canon - we could have multiple stats for the same person, at several different power levels (time periods?) The 'official' stats themselves become little more then recommendations (which is how I always looked at them anyway).*

I'm picturing sourcebooks very much like the Volo's series (crunch-light), with very vague dating and nothing truly 'set-in-stone' (uncertain 3rd person).

*EDIT:
Come to think of it, this would almost entirely eliminate a lot of the problems with novels - multiple ways of statting an NPC means that fans can't ask those questions, "how is {so-&-so) able to do such-and-such when he is only level (fill-in-the-blank)?!" With multiple stats for multiple editions/rules, all of that goes right out the window.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Sep 2013 19:02:18
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  12:36:15  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to see a boxed set.

Edited by - KacyCrawford on 24 Sep 2013 12:38:13
Go to Top of Page

sagechan
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  01:42:28  Show Profile Send sagechan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the 2 HC camp. A cruchless, grand overview of modern 5e Realms in the Campaign Guide. A light crunch, locality based, if my PC is from here, part of this orgianiztion, etc look for the PG. I think the PG does deserve some crunch where appropriate though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000