Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Regained faith in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:02:13  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade:

"I hate Realms material published after 2009... Well, except for everything I read, which was all good."

Classic Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:34:47  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Mournblade:

"I hate Realms material published after 2009... Well, except for everything I read, which was all good."

Classic Candlekeep.

Learned Scribe:

"I don't actually read what scribes say. I just interpret them how I see fit to my agenda and post nonsensical comments hoping to make myself look cool and unbiased."

Classic Saer Brace Scribe.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:38:52  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D-Brane, you, along with Candlekeep's other scribes, truly represent the lowest form of humanity.

My next user name will be something like "Mega Mage" or "Uber Wizard".
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:40:23  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

D-Brane, you, along with Candlekeep's other scribes, truly represent the lowest form of humanity.
Of course, only the lowest of the low could recognise this.
quote:
How about "Mega Moron" or "Idiot Wizard" instead?

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:43:35  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

quote:

How about, meet me in the parking lot at Gen-Con, by the flag pole?

Lmao!
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:46:54  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lmao!

Are you threatening me? Because that's a direct and ban-inducing offence.

Of course, I'd expect nothing less from a slimy individual such as yourself who just basically insulted an entire community of dedicated Realms fans. Which includes designers and writers as well - -

quote:

Way to go Learned Scribe. You've just proved yourself for what you really are.

Edited by - D-brane on 10 Aug 2013 06:47:49
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:47:46  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand that you have some beef with the moderators and Candlekeep as a whole, but I'm confused as to why so much time is spent trying to be disruptive in an environment that you claim to dislike?

More to the point, your previous quote (if it can be called that) is taken badly out of context and isn't even what was originally said.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:48:29  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D-Turd.
I cannot be banned.
Lmao!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lmao!

Are you threatening me? Because that's a direct and ban-inducing offence.

Of course, I'd expect nothing less from a slimy individual such as yourself who just basically insulted an entire community of dedicated Realms fans. Which includes designers and writers as well:-
quote:

Way to go Learned Scribe. You've just proved yourself for what you really are.

Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:50:42  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter whether you're banned or not.

You've just labelled both Candlekeep fans of the 4E Realms and Realms designers and writers who visit this site as the lowest form of humanity.

Nothing you ever say again can restore whatever shreds of credibility you idiotically believe your arguments have.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:52:25  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, you an idiot.

quote:

It doesn't matter whether you're banned or not.

You've just labelled both Candlekeep fans of the 4E Realms and Realms designers and writers who visit this site as the lowest form of humanity.

Nothing you ever say again can restore whatever shreds of credibility you idiotically believe your arguments have.

Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:56:22  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's your defense? To laugh out loud?

You've just destroyed your basis for being here. You've called official Realms designers the lowest form of humanity. And you've alienated any folk who may have thought your comments had some validity.

And that's how you respond. You laugh. No other explanation for attacking your cherished cause or the hard work of folk like Erik Scott de Bie or Brian James. You just laugh, name call, and sit back smugly waiting for my reply.

So why are you even here? How do you think whatever you say in conversation now will ever resonant positively with either fans or designers?

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  06:58:39  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Ok, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY SPOILERS but, for anyone who has finished The Companions I would like to know something: Is there any indication in the book that the map found on the inside cover is true/accurate? If so then all I can say is WOOT WOOT (well, at least partially).

Eh? What map? I didn't get a map.

Could you maybe scan and upload it?
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  07:16:09  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lmao! You are cracking me up, D-Turd!

quote:

You've just destroyed your basis for being here. You've called official Realms designers the lowest form of humanity. And you've alienated any folk who may have thought your comments had some validity.

And that's how you respond. You laugh. No other explanation for attacking your cherished cause or the hard work of folk like Erik Scott de Bie or Brian James. You just laugh, name call, and sit back smugly waiting for my reply.

So why are you even here? How do you think whatever you say in conversation now will ever resonant positively with either fans or designers?

Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  07:18:08  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lmao! You are cracking me up, D-Turd!

quote:

You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  13:54:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
deserk: I dont have a removable map. It's printed on the inside cover of the book itself. The reason I asked about it is because at the bottom of the map is an area marked Halruaa...and it's not pre-Spellplague map as it's very different from the original maps from the 90s. If I can somehow get it scanned I will do it...but it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I could upload one.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  14:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Arcanamach There is an area called Halruaa on the 4E Campaign Setting Map (here) If that matches what you're seeing, sorry.
On the topic of the original post, Therise, your assessment of The Companions has me very excited. I've tried to be very outwardly optimistic about The Sundering in hopes that it will inspire others to give it a chance, but there is a nagging little imp of doubt on my shoulder. Your review just zapped him into silence for a few months, at least. :) Thank you

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  14:30:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True fans of the hobby want as many people to participate as possible. 'Elitist attitudes' on any subject ("fake gamer-girls", anyone?) is destructive to the community as a whole - a community that is already niche. ANYONE who continues in attack-mode against other gamers (whether they actually play or not) is an ENEMY of the hobby itself, and if our little pastime dies-out in the next decade, you have nowhere to look but in a mirror.

quote:

deserk: I dont have a removable map. It's printed on the inside cover of the book itself. The reason I asked about it is because at the bottom of the map is an area marked Halruaa...and it's not pre-Spellplague map as it's very different from the original maps from the 90s. If I can somehow get it scanned I will do it...but it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I could upload one.
Okay, now you have me salivating...

I was supposed to be buying food to do a catering tomorrow (I wear MANY hats), but instead I will have to locate one of those mythical book stores and take a look at that.

So if the party is ruined, it will be all your fault Arcanomath... NOT mine.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2013 14:37:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  15:03:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

D-Turd.
I cannot be banned.
Lmao!

Incorrect. Threatening other members and launching personal attacks is a violation of the CoC.

So you are now banned.

quote:

Thanks, as soon as I see one of these names, it'll be banned, too.

quote:

Here's an idea: you think we're all so bad and that we moderators are horrible -- stop coming back! You've already proven to everyone that your only intent is to be a troll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2013 15:06:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  15:14:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm completely flabbergasted.

I've been active on Candlekeep for nearly eleven years, and this is the first time I have witnessed one member threatening another.

And to insult not only our regularly scribes... but Realms designers as well. That's just... wow!

I apologise on behalf of the Learned Scribe, Therise, for turning your otherwise pleasant discussion into an unnecessarily vile attack against this community.

Please, let us return to the actual intent of this scroll and give no more heed to what has recently transpired here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  15:31:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

...I apologise on behalf of the Learned Scribe, Therise, for turning your otherwise pleasant discussion into an unnecessarily vile attack against this community.

No need to apologize, it's not your fault. This too shall pass. Like a kidney stone, maybe, but it'll pass.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  17:23:49  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my two coppers, but could those messages from Learned Scribe be deleted from this thread, so we could continue with this great topic? Those messages disrupt scribes attention from the topic.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  19:04:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who got excited by the map I spoke about please accept my apologies. It seems the map is, in fact, the 4e map. That's what I get for not playing (or buying) much of anything in 4e. So sorry folks.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 10 Aug 2013 19:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  20:56:17  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

...I apologise on behalf of the Learned Scribe, Therise, for turning your otherwise pleasant discussion into an unnecessarily vile attack against this community.

No need to apologize, it's not your fault. This too shall pass. Like a kidney stone, maybe, but it'll pass.

Quote of the Day!

@Madpig: I think we should leave Learned Troll Lady Brace Hidden Deathstrike Lord Scribe Assassin King's comments right where they are, unedited and undeleted (barring profanity, threats, and personal attacks, of course). We benefit from seeing 'editorials' like this...as a reminder to us how we should not interact with each other, and of the sort of individual the Realms are better off without.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  00:49:10  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those who got excited by the map I spoke about please accept my apologies. It seems the map is, in fact, the 4e map. That's what I get for not playing (or buying) much of anything in 4e. So sorry folks.

Just looked at my newly arrived copy of The Companions. The map on the inside cover + end leaf is indeed the 4E Realms. The map is by Mike Schley and is of his distinct style (picture his color maps without the color). It's a nice line-work map that's pseudo-isometric when looking at geological features of great height (various mountains and the Plateau of Thay) or extreme depth (Underchasm & Land's Mouth). There's a pretty good if rough spacial visualization of Sadrarch's Splinter and Rathgaunt Mote (the 4E FRCG map was so vague I glossed over them).

In short, it's a map that would make any reader gaze longingly into its details and imagine visiting all those places. It's a lovely component to the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  07:41:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mournblade:

Classic Candlekeep.

It cannot be classic candlekeep because that is not what was said. One cannot just make something up and claim it suddenly is classic.

You need to pay attention to what is written. You have a habit of seeing what you WANT and not what the words actually mean.

Try harder to understand please.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  08:29:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Just looked at my newly arrived copy of The Companions. The map on the inside cover + end leaf is indeed the 4E Realms.
I just picked up my copy tonight.

Tell you what, that map could've replaced the original 4E map easily. People would've still complained, just not as much.

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews for this book. It better be good.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  23:26:26  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck of an improvement over the muddy looking 4E FRCG map I'd say (even in B&W). Nothing against the work put into the FRCG map (don't get me wrong, any map of such quality would require a good amount of work, art, and talent), but I think the orders from on high were to make it a bit rough and vague to promote that sense of newness and uncertainty. I feel the committee misjudged the desire for some baseline level of detail given the changes in Faerunian geography. Over time the style of maps representing the Realms in D&DI articles (as far as this non-subscriber sees) has been phased out in favor of more of Mike Schley's beautiful maps. I'd prefer something like Schley's maps (or just hire Mr. Schley) for 5E over the style used in 4E FRCG.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  14:08:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad I didn't run out an buy it then. I still plan to, but not such a rush now.

The fact that several of you have stated that the map is the 4e one... well.. that gives me no faith at all. The very worst aspect of the 4e Realms was the abysmal campaign map, and they've decided to highlight that in the very first Sundering novel?

Nope... they haven't learned a damn thing...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  15:45:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we can expect the geography to return to what it was pre-4e though, that would likely be just a dismal (story-wise) as all the changes that put them in this mess to begin with. So, I will withhold judgment as to whether they learned anything...for now. Let's remember, Ed is at the helm of this ship...and that gives me faith. Whether I lose that faith in the coming year or not is yet to be seen.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  16:15:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think we can expect the geography to return to what it was pre-4e though, that would likely be just a dismal (story-wise) as all the changes that put them in this mess to begin with. So, I will withhold judgment as to whether they learned anything...for now. Let's remember, Ed is at the helm of this ship...and that gives me faith. Whether I lose that faith in the coming year or not is yet to be seen.

I don't know. They are talking about separating Abeir and Toril again, so that could result in changes to the geography (again).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000