Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Regained faith in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  17:24:52  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished Salvatore's new book, the Companions.

It was so incredibly good, I have very few words. It was everything that a heroic fantasy novel should be.

For a long time now, I've been really sad about what happened and completely dubious about the future of the Realms. I wasn't sure that it could be "fixed" in any significant way.

But after reading this book, I can honestly say that I have renewed hope for the Realms. And I think I understand what the current design team is doing. They can't change the past, and for many reasons it wouldn't make sense to do so. But they can rebuild what was lost, brick by brick. It's slow work, but worth it.

So that's what they're doing. And it's really, really good.

That's all.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 08 Aug 2013 17:27:28

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  17:33:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, how caught up do I need to be on the 4th edition stuff by Salvatore before I read this?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  17:40:55  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just wondering, how caught up do I need to be on the 4th edition stuff by Salvatore before I read this?

This is a hard question, really, but honestly I'd say it's important to get caught up on all of his recent novels.

There are many things, I think, that just might not make sense without having the background.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:06:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The neverwinter trio, you will need to read, but I don't think you will need to read the one with all the king titles in it.

Everything else like luskan and the like, you can gleen from a quick google search and wiki input.

Edited by - silverwolfer on 08 Aug 2013 18:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:10:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I just finished Salvatore's new book, the Companions.

It was so incredibly good, I have very few words. It was everything that a heroic fantasy novel should be.

For a long time now, I've been really sad about what happened and completely dubious about the future of the Realms. I wasn't sure that it could be "fixed" in any significant way.

But after reading this book, I can honestly say that I have renewed hope for the Realms. And I think I understand what the current design team is doing. They can't change the past, and for many reasons it wouldn't make sense to do so. But they can rebuild what was lost, brick by brick. It's slow work, but worth it.

So that's what they're doing. And it's really, really good.

That's all.

This has been my understanding. I am purposely reading this book slow, I am savoring it, but all the while I realize where it may not be 1365 DR again, they will bring the realms back to what the fans of the realms wanted.

The change to the spell plague was unnecessary and unwanted, I think on a large scale. Realms activity dropped significantly from what i can tell.

This is a good way to allow the history of the spellplague to remain and bring the realms back to what the fans really want.

I think I might be able to get Murder in Baldur's Gate tomorrow as well because since we are such an ENCOUNTERS heavy store we are on the early release list. I have been enthusiastic for the realms agains since last GENCON.

I have also had the privelidge of meeting RA Salvatore at several book signings, and got candid conversations on the realms. That is why I took the position of "just you wait and see how awesome it will be," with skeptical realms fans.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:23:13  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I think you could read all the aforementioned King books and books 1 & 4 of neverwinter saga. Books 2 & 3 were quite dissapointing and unneccessary.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, do others think that you can get by with just books 1 & 4 of the Neverwinter Saga? Or is there too much connective tissue in books 2 & 3, even if they were disappointing?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Just wondering, do others think that you can get by with just books 1 & 4 of the Neverwinter Saga? Or is there too much connective tissue in books 2 & 3, even if they were disappointing?

As far as this book by itself...you might be able to just get by with 1 & 4. Although you won't understand much at all how they got to 4 from 1 without 2 and 3, and depending on how the story goes forward it might be very important to read 2 and 3 as well.

As always, it never hurts to read all of them, but this isn't the typical "Drizzt" book, that's for sure. Not to give out any spoilers but it fills in some time gaps in different spots from different points of view, and ends up meeting up (time wise) with the end of the 4th Neverwinter book once you finish it up.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:43:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your tight on money , as well go slow, from what I understand public libariys have sort of stopped carrying Forgotten realms books besides the avatar seris and various RAS novels.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:55:29  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the one hand, they have a set of fantastic authors writing the Sundering novels. And it seems that WOTC has taken their job very seriously for 5e. That gives me hope. On the other hand, I think too many fans just want an instant reset, which would be boring and lame. Bringing back every dead god and changing everything back to 2e doesn't excite me. The realms should be a changing world. I think too many fans want their favorite NPCs to never die, and their favorite kingdoms to never fall. In the long run, that's dull. But we'll see how it goes. As long as changes are explained in an interesting way, I'm good.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  19:17:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I highly doubt that they are going to revert the Realms to 2e. Many removed gods and nuked lands will be restored, but it is right IMO: the removal of some of those things was just as lame as you think their return would be, and the flavor and depth they added was replaced with nothing, resulting in a diminished setting. So yeah, while a full reset wouldn't be an attractive option because it'd turn away a non neglectable part of their customer, restoring valid elements and characters would be just good and a no brainer, if they wanted their old customers back.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  20:04:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they nuked what I considered interesting AND uniquely Realmsian cultures (Halruaa anyone?) and, frankly, I want them back. I know that may be too much to ask (restoring an area as large as Halruaa may not be possible without creating a strange story line to do it) so I am hoping for the next best thing...that some actually survived the nuking of those areas and that they return somehow, albeit forced to settle in a new area. We shall see. I remain hopefully optimistic...but I'm ready for the worst. Like I've said before, I've gone my own way since the advent of 4e and I'm not sure I will truly return for 5e. Cheers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  20:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the OP, and WoTC got the right man and the right book to lead in to the new Realms. If the following titles are even half as strong, this can be one RSE I can be content with.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:30:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
neverwinter saga is no trilogy it is 4 books total. personally I'm finding the last one boring.

I do hope companions is better

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:41:56  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5 RSE to bind them, 1 RSE to rule them all.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:42:03  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Well, they nuked what I considered interesting AND uniquely Realmsian cultures (Halruaa anyone?) and, frankly, I want them back. I know that may be too much to ask (restoring an area as large as Halruaa may not be possible without creating a strange story line to do it) so I am hoping for the next best thing...that some actually survived the nuking of those areas and that they return somehow, albeit forced to settle in a new area. We shall see. I remain hopefully optimistic...but I'm ready for the worst. Like I've said before, I've gone my own way since the advent of 4e and I'm not sure I will truly return for 5e. Cheers.

I absolutely want Halruaa back also, in some form.

It was an incredible waste, and insulting to fans of the novels set there, to just simply wipe it from the map.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  22:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I absolutely want Halruaa back also, in some form.

It was an incredible waste, and insulting to fans of the novels set there, to just simply wipe it from the map.
I agree, that was one of the most confusing decisions of the 4e design team.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  22:40:17  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am going to toss this out, as it is a really unoknown feat, but FAith of the heratic in power of faerun, is a really FUN feat to have as a cleric.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  23:45:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the thing that made the neverwinter books good was Artemis and Efferon.

I could have really done without Dalia the Emo Fighter. I just wanted her to die in every book.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The good reviews, the Sundering hype, and the nice cover art is working me over. Plus I saw the book for cheap on Amazon while picking up some other stuff. I'll probably also get Murder in Baldur's Gate given the neat map in there.

Also looks like I'll have someone to pick up the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle for me at Gen Con.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  02:07:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my copy of The Companions a few minutes ago. I have to finish another book first but I can't wait to read it.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  03:04:29  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am reading vendom in her vains right now, OMG I WANT MOREEEEE from this author.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  03:35:09  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Therise,

I must say, I am 50% of the way though the novel and I couldn't agree with you more. This is some of the best stuff since the 2E era. Here here.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  06:16:58  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that they aren't doing a reboot because it would "invalidate" the work of authors who have written in the post-spellplague setting. They didn't give much thought to "invalidating" the decades of work put into the old realms. I can only hope that means they've learned from their mistakes.

I wouldn't say my faith is restored, more like cautiously optimistic.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  13:35:59  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Also looks like I'll have someone to pick up the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle for me at Gen Con.

That was my plan as well, but then I missed the purchase deadline...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  18:39:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Lemur

Interesting that they aren't doing a reboot because it would "invalidate" the work of authors who have written in the post-spellplague setting. They didn't give much thought to "invalidating" the decades of work put into the old realms. I can only hope that means they've learned from their mistakes.

I wouldn't say my faith is restored, more like cautiously optimistic.

No work of a previous author was invalidated with the plague realms. If they did a reboot (As I would have liked) they would have invalidated some good work. See where the 4e realms were really poorly thought out and hamfisted, alot of the work by authors and developers AFTER the release have been good to read.

Since those authors put that good work into it (unlike the basic FR Campaign setting which was poorly thought out and just serving the gamist vision of the 4e developers) the material should be respected. The novels written, the dragon DDI articles are good stuff and well thought out. The writers deserve the respect of having their work preserved. They were given a mucky canvas to work with, and they still produced good art from it.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  23:16:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will (grudgingly) agree with Mournblade...but I don't have to like it!

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  01:35:23  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure it's just time to move past all the 4E hullaballoo. I hated 4E with a passion, I sent my message, and apparently they understood most of my feelings (and a lot of other fans' feelings) on that particular issue.

I would -still- prefer a complete reset to the end of 1E, where people could continue to ignore the Time of Troubles and all the subsequent nonsense. If they did that, it really wouldn't un-publish anything that prior authors have done. People were still paid, some things were liked and others disliked.

But it's exhausting and pointless to keep begging for that kind of reset when they've clearly chosen this path. I look at it like this: if it succeeds and they do end up wiping out all the things I hated from 4E, good enough. If it fails horribly, eventually I'll get my complete re-set. Depending on how much they "tone down" or outright remove of the 4E stuff, I -might- be able to use or re-frame a lot of the new material for my own use.

There's no reason, after all, for me to adopt any of the history, events, or other things I don't like - as long as the new material is sufficiently "returned in spirit" to what we all used to love. I can still have my Realms, which never had a ToT, a Spellplague, or a Timejump, ignore all the 4E stuff I hate like Abeir, earthmotes, and the Abolethic Sovereignty, and then just choose bits and pieces of the new material that I do like. Just like I did with a lot of the late 2E and 3E material.

Edited by - Therise on 10 Aug 2013 01:56:32
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  03:51:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY SPOILERS but, for anyone who has finished The Companions I would like to know something: Is there any indication in the book that the map found on the inside cover is true/accurate? If so then all I can say is WOOT WOOT (well, at least partially).

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:05:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Since those authors put that good work into it (unlike the basic FR Campaign setting which was poorly thought out and just serving the gamist vision of the 4e developers) the material should be respected. The novels written, the dragon DDI articles are good stuff and well thought out. The writers deserve the respect of having their work preserved.
Agreed. This is very refreshing to read too.

I hope the tentative faith some are feeling towards the Realms in the wake of Salvatore's latest will grow into full-on confidence as they take in each book in the series.

Should that confidence lead anyone to purchase a DDI subscription, I hope they'll remember they're buying access to all previous DDI content as well, for which there's a lost of Realms material that's been produced over the last four or five years that is of high quality, that fits the Realms properly and that can be easily added to a Realms game set in any era.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:36:01  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Since those authors put that good work into it (unlike the basic FR Campaign setting which was poorly thought out and just serving the gamist vision of the 4e developers) the material should be respected. The novels written, the dragon DDI articles are good stuff and well thought out. The writers deserve the respect of having their work preserved.
Agreed. This is very refreshing to read too.

I hope the tentative faith some are feeling towards the Realms in the wake of Salvatore's latest will grow into full-on confidence as they take in each book in the series.

Should that confidence lead anyone to purchase a DDI subscription, I hope they'll remember they're buying access to all previous DDI content as well, for which there's a lost of Realms material that's been produced over the last four or five years that is of high quality, that fits the Realms properly and that can be easily added to a Realms game set in any era.

I cancelled my DDI early in 2009. THen on here I think it was Matt James or Erik Scot Debrie who challenged me to go onto DDI and read the FR articles and honestly say they were poor quality. Well I did, and I read almost ALL of the FR articles, and they were ALL good. Even the earlier ones I won't use like Vaasa.

Alot of the DDI FR items I have used in my 1375 realms campaign, especially the article on the SHARN.

The articles are good enough that I am willing to pay $10 a month for a good realms article every three.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000