Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do we have rules on spoilers?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  22:11:29  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just realized this, but I imagine they are going to release the books in hardback before they do it in paperback, and most folks buy books when they come to paperback.

Do we have any rules in place to enforce and encourage folks to use spoiler markings when the sundering books come out?

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  22:56:09  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Candlekeep Code of Conduct has a request to put spoiler markings (i.e. "SPOLIER" in the post title) and spoiler white-space in any posts that discuss novels. But I wouldn't exactly call it a "rule" necessarily.

Generally, I put spoilery information into spoiler tags (i.e., surround text with [spioler] and [/spioler], where the word is spelled correctly), which is better than white space. It's too easy to accidentally scroll down and see something you don't want to see, or your browser may have different settings such that white space isn't sufficient.

There's also going to be a lot - this time around - that isn't just going to be limited to novels. So, personally, I'd recommend spoiler tags and putting "SPOILER" in the post title.

But no, it's not exactly a rule. It's more of a request to be courteous to other posters, really.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 06 Aug 2013 23:01:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  00:45:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What she said. Thank you for that answer, Therise!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  02:57:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Therise has covered the jist of it.

I'd only add that there are "generally accepted" time limits for when an applied SPOILER can be removed. Usually, the practice on Candlekeep is anywhere after twelve-months, especially when something is released in hardcover first. The twelve-month SPOILER limit then allows the release of the trade-paperback edition of the work, like a novel, and still provides those scribes who wait for this version, the benefit of not having to worry about happening across SPOILERS for just released hardcover products.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000