Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have Elminster and Drizzt...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  10:12:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...ever had a one on one conversation?

I was just wondering about this as I looked at the cover of Grand History of the Realms, thinking it might be better thought of as a depiction of a scene in one of the upcoming Sundering books.

So, if they haven't spoken to one another, you think there's a chance we'll see as much in a future novel?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  13:16:01  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the old convention games count where Ed and RAS both played there signature characters? Otherwise, I think the answer is no. I think a meeting between Drizzt and Elminster would be better done in a small Dragon or Dungeon article rather than a novel. I just can't really see an Elminster and Drizzt co-author novel. Maybe if they both made a cameo in a novel done by Ed and Bob, but featuring other lead characters.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  13:53:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I 'think' (if memory serves... but it might not) Elminster was mentioned off-hand in one of his MANY 'introspections' (those annoying italics parts in the beginning of some chapters).

From what I recall, it was in the tone of someone he has heard of (a famous mage to the east), rather then someone he ever met. Given his association with Alustriel, I would imagine he could have learned of El through her. By the same token, I am sure the Old Mage is aware of Drizzt (he is the ultimate busy-body, after all).

Drizzt has also interacted with at least two other of Mystra's Chosen, so he obviously has their attention.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  16:18:49  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I 'think' (if memory serves... but it might not) Elminster was mentioned off-hand in one of his MANY 'introspections' (those annoying italics parts in the beginning of some chapters).

I don't know about "MANY", for it's been a while since I've read the older novels, but Drizzt mentioned the Old Sage by name in what I call his 'journal' entry at the beginning of Part II of Road of the Patriarch.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  17:19:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you - that probably what I am thinking of.

For clarification: I meant he has had many 'journal entries', not that he has mentioned El any times.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  20:42:17  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe not a novel, but I could certainly enjoy a short story, that they do everynow and then releasing in groups.

If that was to happen thou, I want Pikel Bouldershoulder to meet Vangerdahast Aeiulvana
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  20:40:19  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once asked Ed in his interactive scroll, and he said they probably would've met, at some point.

But it has never been written about.

Drizzt has recognized Elminster thrice: twice in journal entries in Road of the Patriarch, P2; and The Ghost King, P2; and once when talking to Regis about the vorpal rabbits in The Pirate King, P1:C8.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  22:08:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

From what I recall, it was in the tone of someone he has heard of (a famous mage to the east), rather then someone he ever met. Given his association with Alustriel, I would imagine he could have learned of El through her. By the same token, I am sure the Old Mage is aware of Drizzt (he is the ultimate busy-body, after all).

Drizzt has also interacted with at least two other of Mystra's Chosen, so he obviously has their attention.

I know he has met Dove, but other than Alustriel, I don't recall him meeting any of the others. Who was it? Not Quilue, I know. (That was Liriel who met her.) Storm is the only other one I can think of that he could have met, but I don't remember him doing so.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  23:54:47  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt has met alustriel, encountered dove when has first came to the surface,and met kelben the black staff arunson.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  00:53:36  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reeeaaaally want to know, he was level 16 during the servant of the shard (3.5 E) , what level is he now with how many years he has lived.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  02:35:34  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eventually Drizzt walks freely in Silverymoon, so it'd be safe to assume that him and Elminster encounter eachother there.

I'd be much more interested in a long encounter between Drizzt and Quilue.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:22:36  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you'd count it, but The Grand Tour comic has Elminster describe Drizzt and mentioned divining his future (i.e., hinting at future novels).

Sad to say, they never actually met on the cover of Grand History, seeing as Drizzt was there first:
http://www.toddlockwood.com/galleries/new_art/05/grand_realms.shtml
And Elminster came along later. ;)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  05:52:31  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I don't know if you'd count it, but The Grand Tour comic has Elminster describe Drizzt and mentioned divining his future (i.e., hinting at future novels).

Hey, cool. I don't see why that wouldn't count. It makes perfect sense. I'd say that should count.

quote:
Sad to say, they never actually met on the cover of Grand History, seeing as Drizzt was there first:

Is there a Realmsian "Bro Code", like when guys are standing next to each other in a public restroom, and you just don't talk or even make eye contact? Just admire the view, but pass without talking?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  16:42:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd say that counts. Awesome.

quote:

Aha! I didn't know that. Well, El's invisibility spell had to wear off sooner or later.

Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:51:00  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dnt think a good drow would be much of a new thing to elminster. After all he has had drow apprentices( remember the drow bathing in the pond by his tower in the first drow of the underdark sourcebook.)

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:41:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

I dnt think a good drow would be much of a new thing to elminster. After all he has had drow apprentices( remember the drow bathing in the pond by his tower in the first drow of the underdark sourcebook.)

Susprina Arkenneld. I'm still wanting to know more about her, especially when it occurred to me that we don't even know her alignment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  03:16:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Susprina Arkenneld. I'm still wanting to know more about her, especially when it occurred to me that we don't even know her alignment.

Agreed.

Though, unfortunately [or fortunately, depending upon your viewpoint {I'm of the former because it means we may still learn something about Susprina at a future date}], Ed's confirmed that any new information pertaining to the Drow Lady Mage is barred by NDA.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Aug 2013 14:54:39
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:35:38  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is Nda?

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:40:48  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
non drizzit agreement, any mention of drizzit and he gets hit with some sort of disclosure based on contract he may have signed.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  06:03:20  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is Nda?
It means "Non Disclosure Agreement", which prohibits the disclosure of information related to a project (however old) initiated by the owners of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  06:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

non drizzit agreement, any mention of drizzit and he gets hit with some sort of disclosure based on contract he may have signed.

It's actually Non-Disclosure Agreement, where the signee agrees to not share certain information. Amongst those of us here at Candlekeep, WotC is infamous for its eternal and multitudinous NDAs.

Edit: And Jeremy beat me to it, gosh darn it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Aug 2013 06:07:27
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  07:36:18  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  19:29:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wools, do you have a guesstimate as to about how much of the stuff that gets cited as NDA ever sees the light of day, eventually? About how long do we have to wait on that, on average?

Or is "NDA" just code for "legal/literary black hole"?

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine their first encounter as Elminster getting his hands on Drizzt's journals and performing a dramatic reading at a packed inn while Drizzt fumes futilely in the room somewhere plotting his revenge prank.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:31:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Wools, do you have a guesstimate as to about how much of the stuff that gets cited as NDA ever sees the light of day, eventually? About how long do we have to wait on that, on average?

Or is "NDA" just code for "legal/literary black hole"?

My information is based entirely on comments from authors here, mostly Ed.

My guesstimate is that not a lot of it sees the light of day, and what does come out is determined entirely by WotC's production.

If there was an NDA on the parentage of Bahb the Fighter, for example, the NDA would be lifted by publication of that information.

But if WotC changes plans -- as has happened many, many times -- it's cheaper and easier for them to simply leave the NDA in effect until such time as they decide to revisit Bahb. It's cheaper and easier because they don't have to review the NDA to determine the relevant subject matter, then review their plans to make sure it doesn't affect anything else, then track down all the signees, and then issue the formal release.

A lot of people have complained mightily about NDAs, and I'll agree that it is frustrating for WotC to just sit on information they'll likely never use -- especially the stuff we'd love to see. But while some have assumed malicious intent, I don't see it that way -- like I said, once an NDA is in place, it's cheaper and easier to leave it there.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  22:29:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NDA also prevents anger , folks can be angry over what does happen, and can do fanfiction of stuff they wish to happen.

But if they relies something was considered but ignored folks get in a mighty uproar wanting it to happen and putting undue pressure on folks.

I think a good reaction to this was Lolth's trying to take over the weave.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  04:02:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a mass-letter/emailing/message boards writing campaign to WotC (started after the Sundering dies down and 5E's core rulebooks have been released) asking them to set aside a staffer to talk with Ed and others about standing NDAs and would be a good thing.

This way they can clean out the closet, so to speak, and maybe realize they've been sitting on content that would go great in whatever books they publish after the 5E Realms Campaign Book.

++++++++++++

Back on topic: so, for those who've read the latest Salvatore book, I take it no non-Salvatore characters show up (like Elminster)?

I just think it'd be interesting to see Salvatore wright Elminster and Greenwood to write Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  04:06:16  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I read Elminster showed up and admitting to Drizzit that he was really his father, at which point he screamed No, and suddenly realized he was half human, and that is why he was not pure evil like the majority of his race.

Edited by - silverwolfer on 09 Aug 2013 04:07:44
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  05:13:58  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

From what I read Elminster showed up and admitting to Drizzit that he was really his father, at which point he screamed No[...].

You know . . .

Drizzt also has a blue-glowing weapon that he got from someone else.

And there was also that one scene in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy" in which Drizzt took off one of his gloves, but still had one black glove on.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  05:56:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the rimshot smiley when you need it?

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  17:22:37  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy,

Perhaps this will help?

http://instantrimshot.com

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000