Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Silver Marches 3rd Edition clarification
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  18:16:43  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm using the 3e Silver Marches sourcebook for my campaign right now and in the city descriptions it lists data like the estimated population, the total resources of the city in gold pieces, and the "Gold Piece Limit",

For instance Silverymoon has a "Gold Piece Limit" of 100,000 gold pieces. What does this mean? Is it some kind of measure of item availability? Like is anything that cost less than 100,000 gp available? Any help with this is much appreciated, I could not find any explanation of this.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  18:32:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the book handy (I'm at work, and that's not one I have a pdf of), but I believe that on the first page of that section it explains what all the entries mean.

If I am remembering correctly, the gold piece limit does indeed indicate the availability of goods, and thus your characters should, under normal circumstances, be able to find just about anything that is 100,000 gold or less. This is of course subject to extenuating circumstances like war, famine, and DM fiat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Jul 2013 18:33:01
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  18:43:38  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I just re-read the beginning of the book, the Lay of the Land and the Cities of the Silver Marches section and didn't see anything. I'd guess that it appeared later in the errata or something.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  18:54:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the 3.5 DMG (p. 137)
quote:
Community Wealth and Population
Every community has a gold piece limit based on its size and population. The gold piece limit is an indicator of the price of the most expensive item available in that community. Nothing that costs more than a community’s gp limit is available for purchase in that community. Anything having a price under that limit is most likely available, whether it be mundane or magical. While exceptions are certainly possible (a boomtown near a newly discovered mine, a farming community impoverished after a prolonged drought), these exceptions are temporary; all communities will conform to the norm over time.

To determine the amount of ready cash in a community, or the total value of any given item of equipment for sale at any given time, multiply half the gp limit by 1/10 of the community’s population. For example, suppose a band of adventurers brings a bagful of loot (one hundred gems, each worth 50 gp) into a hamlet of 90 people. Half the hamlet’s gp limit times 1/10 its population equals 450 (100 ÷ 2 = 50; 90 ÷ 10 = 9; 50 × 9 = 450). Therefore, the PCs can only convert nine of their recently acquired gems to coins on the spot before exhausting the local cash reserves. The coins will not be all bright, shiny gold pieces. They should include a large number of battered and well-worn silver pieces and copper pieces as well, especially in a small or poor community.

If those same adventurers hope to buy longswords (price 15 gp each) for their mercenary hirelings, they’ll discover that the hamlet can offer only 30 such swords for sale, because the same 450 gp limit applies whether you’re buying or selling in a given community.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  01:57:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ashe for clearing that up. I'm using Pathfinder so that would explain why I missed that information.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  13:03:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Thank you Ashe for clearing that up. I'm using Pathfinder so that would explain why I missed that information.

Ah, a fellow Pathfinder!

Well, Pathfinder's equivalent are in the Gamemastery Guide (p. 204-205), but for any of the 3.5 material, stick with the DMG since the Pathfinder guidelines are tweaked differently and won't match up with how the 3.5 books were written.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000