Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 After life
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i wonder what happens with a faithful one in the after life and in the realms of the gods what is there towns..., could one travel there ?
And these armys they have what types of people\things are in them and could one die in the after life ?
I know about the servants of Death(from the prince of lies) a bit any way, but there must be more. Is that what the after life is being a servant ?

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when u die, ur soul belongs 2 the lord of the dead. unless another god smiles upon u n may save u from such an existance

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:47:13  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And *there*s the advantage of Lichhood, ladies and gentlemen. No gods'll be meddeling with *my* soul, that's for shure.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  00:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that after life is boring for the believers of Chuntea and her kind what do they do watching plants grow or Lathander's believers, they are dead what hope can exist in eternal piece. And what about the faithful of Bane or Loviatar or Talos I think they perish like in our hell for their God favors them while they are mortals and in death they will pay their dues.
But I think of the real of Tempus as Valhalla. Warriors fight till all but one die and they are resurrected by Tempus to join a grand feast at night. That seems like fun.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, a grand feast. We scribes already do that everynight.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  02:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lichhood sounds fun.. But as long as you have a nice diety.. Im sure they'd make your afterlife.. Somewhat rewarding.. Although Id much rather serve Vhaeraun when Im dead
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  02:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serving Vhaeraun is good, whether you're undead or alive

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:03:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

i wonder what happens with a faithful one in the after life and in the realms of the gods what is there towns..., could one travel there ?
And these armys they have what types of people\things are in them and could one die in the after life ?
I know about the servants of Death(from the prince of lies) a bit any way, but there must be more. Is that what the after life is being a servant ?

You may want to look into the 2e Planescape setting. It deals with most of these things, and also provides some handy hooks when dealing with the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  08:11:44  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah seems that the afterlife beckons and I must answer it's call.
Many things seem to exist, as for death in the afterlife, It would appear that there is perhaps only temporary or pretend death (as in the Wild battle that would rage around Tempus/Tempos and other war deities). There are theories from other D&D books that the consiousness is washed away, and the soul becomes a favored creature of their ogd (made into their god's own image as it were), such a soul loses all hint of self and is content, no, euphoric at serving the every whim of the deity. Some say they dwell with the deity in eternal happiness, or perhaps they join with their deity ( thus becoming 'one' with them and once again we lose all trace of 'self').

What is known is that, though souls of the departed are eternal, there are creatures that are able to devour the soul. Kezef (with the exception of the Faithless) can eat the soul, I believe Dendar (I think that the nightmare dragon's name) is able to destroy the soul, a swim in the Styx is certain doom... And perhaps falling in the line of duty in either the Blood War ( if you sides with Baatezu or Tanar'ri, which is the only true preservation of self in the afterlife) or the Great Conflict (if you sided with either of the fiends or Celestial hosts, again another way to keep 'self'). One absolute is that there are certain planes that, while taking it's time, actually digest the soul as it moves through said plane. eventually said soul merges with the plane as it loses all trace of self (the Gray wastes of Hades is a good example). These are all theories that (perhaps dangerously) border on Philosophy, Psychology and Theology ( the Trinity of life/human thought as I like to think of them. The Basic Sciences that all other sciences should and can support).

Before I go too far and begin a rant (or go to deep as to drown myself), we really can't be sure what happens to a soul (in FR or otherwise) until we cross that barrier... A great void we yelp in terror of and though it offers eternal peace (whether there is anything on the 'otherside' or not) a gate which we go to kicking, screaming, grasping, and clawing (physically, financially, spiritually, and mentally).

In the end though, getting more back to you Cyric, Yes... In most cases, the Afterlife of any faithful Faerunian is an eternity on bended knee, licking the boots of a power. Rather depressing really...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  13:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh i always tought that you live in the realm of your lord serving and live there in a town like keep with the other faithful serving in the keep or in the army like mortal life just as a divind being your self you do get more powerful right ?
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  14:32:05  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think that the Gods should be able to explain to their followers what will happen to them when they die.

: : Gets alot of hails from MSN : :
: : 15 minutes later : :

Uhhh.... where was I? Hmmm... I had something more to say, but I can't bemember what it was. Oh wll. It'll probably pop-up sooner, or later.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  21:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That book Sage could you just write the most importen ?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  02:18:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try and find the most relevant pieces of text for you Cyric. Then I'll summarise what is said and post it here. The information is spread across a number of tomes, so it may take a while...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  04:49:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, when the faithfuls die they go to their god's home; followers of Mask goes to Shadow Keep, Mystrrans go to Nirvana, etc. These followers just enjoy afterlife at their god's kingdom by doing what their god has designed for them. For example, Oghma's followers would just read and copy texts all day while Mask's followers would steal and kill each other from the shadows at Shadow Keep. The only one who has an army are Tempus and Torm. Torm's army was assigned by Ao to keep peace and control in the celestial and outer planes. Tempus's army is just bascially his followers fighting each other and enjoying themselves.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  09:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As one great sage (no not you Sage of Perth) once said, "Death is only the beginning."

So the mystery behind it all will be revealed once you die.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  10:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks DDH_101 that helped and am loking forward to you info Great Sage and by the way they cant really kill one and othere can they in the after life ?
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  13:58:58  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Mystras followers do? Cast spells at eachother all day?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  14:03:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

As one great sage (no not you Sage of Perth) once said, "Death is only the beginning."

Lina, was the next line in that quotation you just mentioned "Time is but a window"...? For some reason, this sounds awfully familiar to me... I can't remember where I have heard it before...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  20:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EcThelion

What does Mystras followers do? Cast spells at eachother all day?

Actually, they experiment with spells and components that would have been beyond their skill level in life.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  23:58:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, the followers can still die in the afterlife. I'm surprised you didn't know that! After all, it was Cyric that killed many of his followers during his search for Kelemvor's soul in Prince of Lies. Lol.

EcThelion, Mystra's followers also mess around with alchemy and create potions. They also do research and work with magical creatures such as magic golems or balisks.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Lina, was the next line in that quotation you just mentioned "Time is but a window"...? For some reason, this sounds awfully familiar to me... I can't remember where I have heard it before...

Common Sage muster up some brainpower. That's the only line of the quote I know. But I recall that next line you quoted. I don't think its the next one. Doesn't seem to fit in with it right. But then again most great poems/quotes/sayings don't often flow from one line to the other too smoothly. Their ideas jump around and they try to capture that on text before they forget it and it ends up being a real mess.

EcThelion, if the gods did tell their followers what was waiting for them in the afterlife would they still have any followers left?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The evil gods probably wouldn't, seeing as Bane and Cyric might end up worshiper-less because of all the hellish tortures..... However, I am still faithful to my lord Vhaeraun.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  11:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i doubt that torture and pain at the hands of the evil gods are what awits them , and i meant could they kill one and other and i have read no onley a god or very powerful magic could do that.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see now. I misunderstood you.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  14:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wel it is easy to misunderstand what i write so you are forgiven
Go to Top of Page

Fibura Gauntlet
Seeker

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  16:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Fibura Gauntlet's Homepage Send Fibura Gauntlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

If you're curious about roleplaying the dead, there's always Ghostwalk I suppose. It may not be Realms-specific but it does puport to be able to be integrated into existing campaigns

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in passing yet. Perhaps I'd better go and look for any old scrolls pertaining to it and read up on what more learned sages have had to say...

- Fibura Gauntlet
A scrib(bl)e on the margins of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  16:46:58  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]Lina, was the next line in that quotation you just mentioned "Time is but a window"...? For some reason, this sounds awfully familiar to me... I can't remember where I have heard it before...
[/quote]

You heard it on Gostbusters 2.

I think Selune or Tymora's realm would be the best to spend the afterlife, because they allow for more variety. The problem with most afterlives in the DnD Multiverse is that they are one-dimentional, a reflection of the gods' elemental nature.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  00:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think Cyric`s would be cool, but am not sure what to do there killing and stuff like that parhaps.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  05:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's getting tiresome, Cyric.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive always been very interested in liches

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:35:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

[/quote]

You heard it on Gostbusters 2.

[/quote]That is true lowtech, however if tou read the annotated novel on the movie, it describes that the quote was actually taken from an older latin phrase from the 13th century AD...I'll have to check the reference again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000