Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 who are the Wind Dukes of Aaqa?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  22:40:03  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
They seem a sort of vague tie ins, with various moments of ole lore, but can't seem to really base them on anything besides a sub power on the plane of air?

They seem to be on the gods side during the dawn war, and no real reason why.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  23:09:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were involved in an ancient conflict betwixt Law and Chaos, and used the Rod of Seven Parts to defeat the champion of Chaos, Miska the Wolf-Spider.

I don't know that we know all that much about them. They are D&D Core, not FR-specific.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  23:18:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So something that sort of bled into the background, but not really part of it?
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  23:24:56  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

So something that sort of bled into the background, but not really part of it?

It depends on how you want to include the history. Specifically, the ancient war between Law and Chaos played out in the history of Greyhawk and had some impact on that world.

But if you consider Planescape to include/allow crossover of the various worlds (and at the time of Planescape, they certainly did), the the War happened in Faerun's distant past as well. It's just that it (probably) had more of an impact on Greyhawk's history than Faerun's history.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  00:13:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wind Dukes of Aaqa:

Canon: a race that founded a cross-planar empire ages ago. They were at the forefront of the confrontation against the Queen of Chaos which culminated in a mighty battle on the Plains of Pesh (a place in Greyhawk). They still exist in very small numbers, and are part of the Planescape setting as well as still having a close tie to any world you use the Rod of Seven Parts in.

NOT Canon: I played the Wind Dukes as a very powerful Empire that had many mortal client Kingdoms/Empires stretching throughout the planes. In my own campaign, their primary mortal followers were the Alphatian "Followers of Air" who eventually defeated the followers of Flame in the Mystara Universe. I tied THAT Empire to the Suel (of Greyhawk) in minor ways, as well as the planes walking Empire of Imaskar...and others that I won't go into.

The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are individually very powerful, but fading. In their prime they were essentially a race of Demi-Gods capable of great and powerful feats. They are a rarity among air creatures in that they are EXCEEDINGLY lawful. Had it not been for the war of Law vs. Chaos, they might have remained one of the premier forces in the Multi-verse.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  14:33:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are based on Indian mythology (Vaayu), Maharsarpa camaign from Oriental Adventures had them. In the Realms that would be Malatra or the Utter East. I think the Vaati-obyrith war was before the planes divided into inner-outer.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  14:38:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the old Utter East thread over at WotC's forums, we tied them to the Sisters of Serentity - a group of mountains around Langdarma, which we felt were some sort of Archfey (powerful quasi-gods had a habit of becoming mountains in FR's past) that had 'gone dormant'.

And of course, as Quale pointed out, that all ties into Langdarma's (and the Utter East's) proximity to FR's 'Indianesque' region.

Back that far in (planer) history, there were less planes, perhaps only one, and the divisions between Outsiders wasn't as set-in-stone, so perhaps using terms like 'Archfey' and 'Elemental lord' (etc) doesn't really apply back that far. The Vaati were just one more group of powerful outsiders/Celestials. This is why they are so hard to define in current D&D terminology. They may have just been a very specific branch of Devas with elemental leanings.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jul 2013 14:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  17:07:59  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were/are LN, you're right about the Devas, I wish D&D detailed more types of devas, not just those based on theosophy. My version was that in areas like Semphar (inspired by Persia) they were considered fiends (daevas), while in Malatra they were a part of divine hierarchy. That's how there's good D&D asuras, and evil Pathfinder asuras.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  23:36:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are these Wind Dukes a legacy from the earliest AD&D era, before all material about Cthulhu was deliberately excised?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  00:00:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Are these Wind Dukes a legacy from the earliest AD&D era, before all material about Cthulhu was deliberately excised?

The Battle on the Plains of Pesh was from the early Greyhawk Era before there was a published Forgotten Realms setting from TSR.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000