Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A State of Affairs for discussing the 4e Realms...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:45:12  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

And remember, Matt James said it best:

quote:

...this site is decidedly anti-4e.

With all due respect to Matt James, who is of course entitled to his opinion, my experience here, and judging from many of the other scribes posting in this thread, suggests otherwise.

He is, however, on the mark with the following:-

quote:
It's best to decide if you want to pick up some of the content, read it for yourself, and figure out if you like it or not.
Which I've also heard from some of the Mods as well. And Alaundo.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:45:12  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D-brane, you are incorrect in all regards, especially regarding your latest inflammatory remark directed at Matt James.

Don't get me wrong, I love the faux-didactic approach. However, your "arguments" fail on all logical fronts.

Which I'm sure makes you feel well-at-home in Candlekeep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

D-brane,
I enjoy how you pull your Edit tags.

Edited by - Learned Scribe on 01 Aug 2013 04:48:23
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:49:05  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

D-brane, you are incorrect in all regards, especially regarding your latest inflammatory remark directed at Matt James.
So asking you to prove your claims is incorrect?

Regarding the bit I posted about Matt James... that was uncalled for. And I've since provided a more considerate reply.

See, that's what you're supposed to do at Candlekeep. Consider the feelings and opinions of others.

quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love the faux-didactic approach. However, your "arguments" fail on all logical fronts.
Prove it. Again.

quote:
Which I'm sure makes you feel well-at-home in Candlekeep.

Hey, I'm active on Wizards too, which is pro-4e. And I love that site as well. So what does that say about my also liking Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:52:07  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of my claims have been proven to the most rigorous standard.

In addition, all of of your arguments have been dis-proven.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:53:17  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the 4e Realms. That being said I do own several of the 4e novels (with the intention of reading them, unfortunately my que is a bit full at the moment) and many of the source books, and I am currently trying to find ways of adding the elements I like into my home campaign (Spellscars and Dragon-Descended) without all the RSEs and the fast forward in the timeline.

With that in mind, I find it hard to believe that many of the more well versed scribes here, mods or not, have not kept up with the changes of the Realms over time. This doesn't mean, that they will own or have thoroughly read absolutely everything...but I'm sure they've read reviews and at least skimmed all of the material when at a bookstore or their LGS. Just because someone may not like or currently campaign in the latest version of the Realms, doesn't mean they are totally ignorant of the changes.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:55:24  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the height of foolishness to offer a review of a author's work without actually reading the work.

quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the 4e Realms. That being said I do own several of the 4e novels (with the intention of reading them, unfortunately my que is a bit full at the moment) and many of the source books, and I am currently trying to find ways of adding the elements I like into my home campaign (Spellscars and Dragon-Descended) without all the RSEs and the fast forward in the timeline.

With that in mind, I find it hard to believe that many of the more well versed scribes here, mods or not, have not kept up with the changes of the Realms over time. This doesn't mean, that they will own or have thoroughly read absolutely everything...but I'm sure they've read reviews and at least skimmed all of the material when at a bookstore or their LGS. Just because someone may not like or currently campaign in the latest version of the Realms, doesn't mean they are totally ignorant of the changes.

Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  04:59:09  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What rigorous standard? Provide proof.
quote:
In addition, all of of your arguments have been dis-proven.
Firstly, you mean disproved. And where have they been disproved? Just saying they've been disproven/disproved doesn't make it so. You actually need to disprove them. Much like how I've already disproved your above claims earlier.

That's how you do it.

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:01:04  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is the height of foolishness to offer a review of a author's work without actually reading the work.

Agreed...but I never said anything about reviewing anything without reading it.

I have never once criticized or complimented a 4e novel, or any other book for that matter, that I have not read.

But I have read enough of the 4e gaming material, even ran a Game Day event at my LGS when 4e came out, to know that I do not like the 4e Realms, and I will not apologize to you or any of the authors for my opinion of the changes that were made.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:17:03  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D-Brane, please review the thread above.

I have disproved your claims. You claims have been disproven by the most rigorous standards. If this is unclear, please review the thread above.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:20:13  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I reviewed it. Twice, just to be sure.
quote:
I have disproved your claims. You claims have been disproven by the most rigorous standards. If this is unclear, please review the thread above.
No. You spoke a few words. I asked you to prove them. You didn't. You spoke similar words. I asked for proof again. And now you're still speaking a few words without any proof to back what you're saying.

So, again, I'm asking for proof. Please. Prove what you're saying. If it's all as you claim, then providing the proof should be fairly easy.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:22:07  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is correct. I have disproven your claims thoroughly. Or, as you may prefer, thoroughly disproven your claims.

If this is somehow in doubt, please review the thread, above.
(For the third time.)

quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

I reviewed it. Twice, just to be sure.
quote:
No. You spoke a few words. I asked you to prove them. You didn't. You spoke similar words. I asked for proof again. And now you're still speaking a few words without any proof to back what you're saying.

So, again, I'm asking for proof. Please. Prove what you're saying. If it's all as you claim, then providing the proof should be fairly easy.

Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:37:25  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your proofs to my earlier queries are already evident in this thread, then please direct me to your replies that include them.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:46:36  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those proofs which pertain to your stated queries are in the thread above.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  05:49:36  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those proofs which pertain to your stated queries are in the thread above.

I must have missed them.

Which replies are you referring to? Because I'm still not reading any actual proofs included in your replies to my queries so far...

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  06:04:04  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure...but these links seems to address the current situation in which we find ourselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_and_mouse ...

Then again...I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  06:15:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To your most rigorous standard -- which is to say, none at all.

quote:

A better question... Why haven't the Mods taken direct action to correct the error of their ways by appointing additional Mods who:

1.) Actually play D&D

Since this site focuses more on the lore of the game setting than the rules, I fail to see how this would have any bearing.

quote:

2.) Actually review the current material

I have purchased and read all of the 4E FR printed game material. I'm sure, though, that you will find some way to discount this.

quote:

3.) Review current material prior to assessing it...

See above. Also see the many, many times I've told people to check something out for themselves.

Oh, wait, you can't do that. It doesn't fit into your narrative of an out-of-date, out-of-touch mod who is only interested in forcing his opinion on the site as a whole. Damn those pesky facts!

quote:

Classic Candlekeep:

Scribe: I absolutely hate Realms Product X-Y-Z...
I haven't actually read Product X-Y-Z...but I heard someone on Candlekeep talk trash about it, so you know... it's trash.

Ah, yes, you are so bothered by all of this behavior (that you refuse to prove even exists) that you keep coming back for more. That makes sense.

Hmmm... You're decrying behavior you can't prove actually happens... So it must be something you heard. And by your standards, that makes it true. Gosh, I could have sworn I just saw someone complaining about people doing things like that...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  06:39:19  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wooly Rupert, I understand why you are being deceptive. It is deceptive.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  07:22:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is probably the funniest thread I have read at Candlekeep in years.

And it must be said, the person of many names is doing a better job of showing the moderators and Candlekeep in a good light than any 4th edition-haters ever could.

Oh, and by the all edition mod logic he presents here the site needs a conservative 1st ed. mod too. Any volunteers?

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  13:06:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Wooly Rupert, I understand why you are being deceptive. It is deceptive.

Yeah, using those verifiable facts is so deceptive! You just can't trust someone who tells you the truth, especially when you can look it up for yourself!

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  13:31:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i think you guys do a great job. I am firmly anti 4th edition, but thanks to everyone's efforts in not bashing it i have reconsidered my opinion somewhat. So thanks to you i had another look stole quite a few of the 4th edition rules and kept the 3rd edition lore. Now i get the best of both worlds.

I have never really encountered someone with such blatantly childish trolling behaviour on these forums before so if that isnt an indication of how much good work you do then i dont know what is.

Keep up the good work Sage, Wooly and everyone else who moderates and frequents the forums, without you guys i would have given up on the realms long ago.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  13:37:24  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I have purchased and read all of the 4E FR printed game material. I'm sure, though, that you will find some way to discount this.

I love how you try to subtlety hedge this comment by relying on an archaic form of "print".

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

3.) Review current material prior to assessing it...
See above. Also see the many, many times I've told people to check something out for themselves.

Oh, wait, you can't do that. It doesn't fit into your narrative of an out-of-date, out-of-touch mod who is only interested in forcing his opinion on the site as a whole. Damn those pesky facts!

Yes, see above for your failed attempt at being deceptive. Pesky facts!

Edited by - Learned Scribe on 01 Aug 2013 13:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  13:45:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, let's see, the majority of the source material for 4E is printed... At least one book has come out within the last year... And I have all of that material.

Yeah, so deceptive of me to refer to current material as current, or to refer to the majority of the material as proof I'm conversant with it.

Is that really the best you've got? Calling me a liar by narrowing the definitions as much as possible?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2013 13:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  13:58:39  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incorrect. You are being deceptive by narrowing the definition of "printed" material to that content which is available on paper; the majority (the VAST majority) of Realms content published after 2007 (i.e. the last six years) is digital content.

Edited by - Learned Scribe on 01 Aug 2013 14:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  14:10:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get the point you're trying to make. AFAIK, a moderator only needs to be impartial in judging whether posts are written accordingly to the CoC or not. Even someone who barely knows about the main subject of a forum could moderate the discussions in it.

The primary function of mods doesn't consist of providing info about that or reviewing products, being capable of it is only a plus.

NOTE: I'm not saying that our mods can't do that, I'm just talking about a generic context here.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Aug 2013 14:11:49
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  14:22:02  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point, Irrenan, is that the coercive nature of the Mod staff here would be best mitigated by replacing The Wooly Rupert with a new, impartial, Moderator.

As this will not occur, and the coercive, divisive moderation by the Wooly Rupert will continue, a compromise that will best serve Candlekeep is promotion of one the sites better scribes, like Jeremy Grenemeyer of Diffan, to the mod staff.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  14:42:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You were talking about how Wooly or Sage had to review and read all the Realmslore published in order to be able to mod, which is clearly not needed. As I said, even someone who is clueless about the FR could make sure that the CoC is respected.

Also, nobody tries to coerce people into anything here.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  14:47:32  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close. I said that content should be reviewed prior to assessing it.

You are incorrect regarding the role that coercion plays at Candlekeep, which is further evidence of just how pernicious The Wooly Rupert's moderation has been to the site.

Edited by - Learned Scribe on 01 Aug 2013 14:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  15:03:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Close. I said that content should be reviewed prior to assessing it.

Not only that. You said that mods who play D&D and review recently published material are needed. Moderating has nothing to do with it. It could be possible to appoint people dedicated to providing info and opinion on recent releases, but since many people (including the ones you suggest) do so, having ''official'' charges would change nothing.

quote:

You are incorrect regarding the role that coercion plays at Candlekeep, which is further evidence of just how pernicious The Wooly Rupert's moderation has been to the site.

I know what I read, and coercion was in none of the topic I've browsed. Also, your saying that I am not able to recognize coercion (which is what your statement about it playing a ''role'' at CK implies) could be easily received as an inflammatory offense to my intelligence.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Aug 2013 15:15:53
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  15:07:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to make you happy we should really get a moderator here that doesn't care about the game or the setting and only moderates according to how people act and post no matter who they are. That would be fun for you, eh?

And strangely enough throughout the years I don't think me and Wooly ever really agreed that much on anything and despite of that we have never had any issues at all. Its wonderful what you can do with a basic manners isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  15:16:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You posted while I was writing Irennan, my comment was to Mr. Happy above.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000