Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Spellfire and the rest of the Shandril Saga
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  03:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::grin:: I'll have to admit it's nice to hear that i'm correct every once in a while... hehe

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  04:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I agree that Spellfire, as published (both the first and second versions) has been so heavily edited (over one-third of the book is missing, folks) that the result is a bad book.

I can see this. It's good to hear that there are extenuating circumstances involved with the quality of the novel becuase, as I said before, I like the Greenwood! I must apologize if I had sounded 'trollish' in said post; it was not my intention (too much plum wine...ummmmm, plum wine) My intention was to reiterate Winterfox's review with my opinion.
The fact that I have 10$ in my pocket affords me a voice, whether I write prose, poetry, dirty limericks about ex-girlfriends on bathroom stalls at Mesa State College, or --heavens forbid-- nothing but my opinion. It's still valid.
Soooooo....
My opinion, Herr Dokter, is to skip the Shandril book. Do read Cormyr, though. It is a rich telling of the history of that realm reminicent of Michner.

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 'whining' (a curiously American term): any actual response to events, rather than total stiff-upper-lip schtumm, can be characterized that way, sometimes rightly of course, but we'll get nowhere arguing about it.

The cutting of Spellfire didn't hurt the book for me as much as it does for some; Malaugrym scenes were missing but I imagined what was occupying certain people; Knights scenes were cut but the idea of a mid-level band 'punching above its weight' by diplomacy and kindness remained in the book. It helps that I grokked the Realms mode pretty quickly after reading the first campaign set.

I like to imagine Ed's stories published in a Weird Tales. It's a proud tradition of writing, and I think the passion of Ed's Realms books takes them way past hackery. I also dig the use of the Heartsteel chapbooks etc. to poke fun. Sure, Elminster in Hell and the Aglirta books are technically better than his early work, but that's only part of what I get out of them.

Elminster in Hell and the prospect of the Knights books cheer me up from lost opportunities such as the impetus of Mirt as a protagonist being dispersed somewhat by his smaller appearances, and the continuing rejection of the picaresque and the egalitarian in favour of conventional structures and (even after the Lord of the Rings films!) lone heroes.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Feb 2004 16:48:09
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  18:26:56  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question, read the first couple of chapters. If you like the writing syle, you'll like the book. If you don't, you won't. Its really as simple as that.
Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  21:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herr about the best thing I can say about the books in any genre isn’t listen to others but try and make up your mind by yourself, read the first few chapters of the books if you don’t like it then set it aside.

Personally I like Greenwood, and the books are the definitive realms books you want to read what the realms is really about then read his stuff but it isn’t for everyone. You might like it you might not but you will not know till you try it.

Though got to address this whinny thing, I don’t think it is solely an American thing but it seems whenever you have a character that doesn’t trudge through everything with steel skin and iron resolve they are called whiny. I got to say learned a lot about character creation from Greenwood by reading his stuff. One character I have is sorta like Shandril, he is a street rat, a thief and an illusionist he thinks he knows everything about the hard life, he thinks adventuring will be great etc, after a few months of it he returns to his town in near shock taking several months to get over the very vile people out there, I guess you could call him whiny the way he deals with stuff but he is realistic. He is shocked by what he witnesses, by the inhumanity in humans and his faith in the human race being a goodly race is nearly shattered, and that is just the beginning of his tale. This is the one thing that does amaze me about fantasy fiction, main characters seem to have to always be able to shake off everything that happens to them and move on, the main hero comes upon a village everyone impaled on spears he has to shrug it off like it doesn’t bother him or he is whiny, since when did being a hero in a fantasy book entail being numb?

Got one question though, I got the first two books as they came out in the then I bought the new edition of hand of fire should I go back and buy the newer editions of spellfire and crown of fire because it has the edited stuff put back in? if the edited stuff was put back in I am definitely buying the books to see what was taken out, er after I get some cash that is.

I got to say one thing about Elminister in hell, that book probably saved my life and I am not kidding. I got the chance to read it before I had brain surgery and I couldn’t stop laughing when it came to Mirt or Torm and Rathan, specially torm and Rathan. The tower scene and the frying pan, oh god I was laughing so hard dropped the book. Anyways without the little bit of cheering up it kept me from thinking too much on what might happen and kept me in a good attitude about the impending brain slicing. Then when I got to meet Mr.Greenwood at GenCon just a month and a half after the surgery best time I ever had in my life. I had a few hours sleep over three days but I sure as heck didn’t want to miss the Spin a Yarn, you know I wonder if he still remembers Jitters the Blink Weasel.

Anyways Hooded One I saw you said you might pass on questions to Mr.Greenwood himself can ya tell him thanks from me for the book as well as the great time at GenCon 2002?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  22:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well over the past few months ive heard a lot of praise for Elminster in Hell so im actually quite looking forward to it. I havent read ANY of the Elminster Series to date so maybe I should give it a go. Your comments regarding Torm and Rathan put the icing on the cake, Josh, I always chuckled at those pair when I read their antics in Shandril's Saga

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  00:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about half way through the first novel in the series now, and Torm and Rathan are definetly two of my favorites.

I haven't encountered too much of this "whining" involved with Shandril. There were a few moments where she did some whining, but I wouldn't say whining over being doomed and within claws reach of angry fiends is not reasonable.

I had to skip some of the more spoilerific posts above, but thanks everyone for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  01:52:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Well over the past few months ive heard a lot of praise for Elminster in Hell so im actually quite looking forward to it. I havent read ANY of the Elminster Series to date so maybe I should give it a go. Your comments regarding Torm and Rathan put the icing on the cake, Josh, I always chuckled at those pair when I read their antics in Shandril's Saga

Elminster in Hell was, in my estimation, a good book, but not one I would rate too well. It's basically comprised of El's memories, and what's actually happening "now" in the story does not "pop up" too often.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  05:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the "Ed Greenwood intended for Shandril to be a naive/whiny/dreamy teenager", I reply: then no wonder she annoys the Nine Hells out of me. I've had to put up with more than enough whiny teenagers; the last thing I want to do is read about one.

Josh Davids said:

quote:
Though got to address this whinny thing, I don’t think it is solely an American thing but it seems whenever you have a character that doesn’t trudge through everything with steel skin and iron resolve they are called whiny.

What American what? *is Asian through and through*

In which case, my definition of "whiny" is certainly not that. The examples of the strong female characters I cited have their moments of weakness. Mara, for instance, loses her son and sinks into depression for a period of time. Morgaine angsts about Avalon, the fact that she has been made to couple with her half-brother unknowingly, and many other things.

Edited by - Winterfox on 05 Feb 2004 09:12:17
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  08:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well whilst reading Shandril's Saga, there were points where I thought Shandril did a bit of "whining"...... however, then I took a step back and thought..... hell, shes going through some pretty bad s**t, can you blame her?!!! it must be SO scary to be in that situation, she was only a maid after all!

Cut the girl some slack!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  15:07:16  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are better ways to convey this, Winterfox, but let me say just this much: If you were in my courtroom, and uttered that "Puh-leeze" when told (quite correctly, by the way) about obeying the law of this country, I would cite you for contempt and have you in a cell so fast you'd not know what had hit you.
The Internet is NOT a "legal-free" zone. You sound like a naïve teenager to me, and I hope that is the reason for your incredible attitude. Do all of us (including yourself) a favor: Grow up. Now. Before you get into REAL trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  17:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'm shocked here. And so disapointed that I'm not going to try for any in-character admonishment.

People, these forums are for quiet, informed, polite discussion. I recognize that it's sometimes hard to do so, since I've argued in the past myself. But this goes beyond acceptable.

Reading through this, I did not come to any conclusion that Winterfox was saying that Ed Greenwood was not a good author. Instead, she's just trying to show that she's irritated with the character in question. Yes, she considers it to be Mr. Greenwood's fault, but she has not said that Mr. Greenwood shouldn't be writing.

As for you, Winterfox, you are acting with astonishingly bad temper. I'm known for a draconic temper myself (one of the reasons I chose Bookwyrm as my avatar), but you are acting like there's no room for compromise. Please do not attempt to force your opinion on others. (Again, I know that's hard; I've been in your shoes many times. )

Hooded One, while I agree that people should know what they're talking about, that doesn't mean that Winterfox has to be a writer (which she says she is, and I see no reason to disagree) to criticise Ed Greenwood. It rather reminds me of a man who seemed to think that only someone in the military could criticise Senator Kerry, a Vietnam veteran. I'd guess that less than five percent of living Americans have been in the military, so that's absurd, even leaving aside the fact that what was in question was his ability to be president of this country. Similarly, I'd find it absurd that a non-writing reader isn't allowed to speak her mind about an author.

Even then, Winterfox has said she is a writer. So am I. I've studied the way others write; I'm highly critical about it, in fact. I've said numerous times that Tolkein himself would have hated me as an editor; for example, I get irritated at what I see as inconsistancies in the speech patterns of the Rivendell elves. I was highly unimpressed by Spellfire, and still am; however, I realize that it isn't the best example of Mr. Greenwood's work.

And finally, "A Gravel," I have no idea what you are talking about. Even if I did, I find your tone offensive as well. Winterfox isn't in your courtroom -- even if you are a judge, this is a free speech forum, limited only on subject matter and decorum.

Now, all of you -- calm down. This petty squable's making me disapointed to call myself a part of this forum.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  17:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious, Bookwyrm. How often in the past have you seen such behavior here at Candlekeep? Is this something that crops up now and again, or is it something that is fairly new to these boards?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  18:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I'm curious, Bookwyrm. How often in the past have you seen such behavior here at Candlekeep? Is this something that crops up now and again, or is it something that is fairly new to these boards?

Before the demise of the WotC novel forum, we hadnt really encountered this sort of behaviour. Admittedly, the odd irritation or trouble-maker would turn up but would soon be quashed.

It must have been hell over at the WotC boards, im glad I stayed here

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  18:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmmmm, 'twould appear that tempers are certainly becoming heated. Angering the resident dragon is a rarity and has severe consequences!

On a serious note, I cannot allow any further retaliations. I think its pretty clear now of the problems and views of a number of people here, so please lets let such issues drop.

Futhermore, any open attacks or negative critisism posted in a way deemed to be nothing more than trouble-making will be removed and the member will receive a personal warning...... after which, further offences will result in the member being suspended.

Candlekeep WILL remain a friendly place.

Now, if this discussion on Spellfire and Shandril is over, then lets move on....

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 09 Feb 2004 18:33:06
Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  21:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wise Alaundo speaks true. Let the matter rest. And I believe Bookwyrm was able to summarize the varied views most succinctly; there's no need to add more to this. I don't speak for the "transients" from the WotC board, but for my part I'd like all discussion to remain civil.

And the trees were all kept equal - by hatchet, axe, and saw. --Peart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  22:49:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, the use A Gavel made of the word "Puh-leeze" makes me think he was responding to another thread, where I told Winterfox it was probably wise if she took down a review on her Live Jounral where someone says Ed Greenwood advocates rape (because one of his villains does, in a book).
I apologize for any postings I've made that have contributed to this. I just get so angry at Winterfox continuing all the nastiness she indulged in for years as Darkmistress on the WotC boards, and want it to stop.
As Ed himself once told me, "In life, the worst fault (or, if you're religious, the worst sin) is unkindness."
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  06:53:37  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said Bookwyrm. Bravo

and enough of that anyway. To bring some decent life back into this I have some questions I have always wanted to ask about the novel, just please be patient with me, I know im slow...

1) There is a lot of mention of the Knights of Myth Drannor in the books. But I read some PDF (ahem) about the fall of Myth Drannor so I thought they were all dead. So is this a revival group, or the last fledling remnants of the odl empire?

2) In spellfire, or crown of fire (one of the them) she blasts a lot of beholders out of the sky. Now from reading Elminster making of a mage, I gather from the creature battle that beholders are more powerful than dragons, or, since that is greatly simplfied, that they have a good chance of defeating them. So is it because spellfire is especially effective against them that she defeats them, or just that she has unlimited supplies?

3) That demi-lich skull thing, he seems to be able to suck the spellfire from Elminster. What skill is that, in DND terms, or is it just a case of literary devices being used to enhance the story?

and finally...

4) Spellfire itself, I know there is not much information, btu what there is (that i have found at any rate) I dont quite understand on one point. If a person/chosen/being is gifted with spellfire, is it like magic in that there is a limited amount that can be used, or is it more like Cadderly's connection to his God where he can simply draw on as much as he wants and the God/weave/world at large pays the price? sort of, is it limitless? And is Mystra/Midnight the only being that can give the spellfire ability to anyone?

Thanks for any help

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  08:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuadDib (Dune fan?) said:

quote:
1) There is a lot of mention of the Knights of Myth Drannor in the books. But I read some PDF (ahem) about the fall of Myth Drannor so I thought they were all dead. So is this a revival group, or the last fledling remnants of the odl empire?

Myth Drannor is a ruined elven city; the Knights, from what I understand, are just a group of people following an ideal more than anything, if that. Some of them, as you no doubt know, are elven. Others are just random humans. I imagine more'll be revealed in the upcoming Knights of Myth Drannor novel, and the Hooded One can probably tell you a thing or two.

quote:
2) In spellfire, or crown of fire (one of the them) she blasts a lot of beholders out of the sky. Now from reading Elminster making of a mage, I gather from the creature battle that beholders are more powerful than dragons, or, since that is greatly simplfied, that they have a good chance of defeating them. So is it because spellfire is especially effective against them that she defeats them, or just that she has unlimited supplies?

In the same way that fictional characters can overcome impossible odds, like a mortal defeating a big bad evil ubervillain... In short, yes, spellfire is the ultimate deus ex machina in its literary form, even more than Tolkien's eagles. Try what Shandril did in actual PnP and the beholders will eat you for dinner. Her energy level simply is not enough to blast that many beholders to crisp.

Bookwyrm said:

quote:
As for you, Winterfox, you are acting with astonishingly bad temper. I'm known for a draconic temper myself (one of the reasons I chose Bookwyrm as my avatar), but you are acting like there's no room for compromise. Please do not attempt to force your opinion on others. (Again, I know that's hard; I've been in your shoes many times. )

I'm sorry for coming off that way, but you know, a single person can't keep a flamewar going.

quote:
I've said numerous times that Tolkein himself would have hated me as an editor; for example, I get irritated at what I see as inconsistancies in the speech patterns of the Rivendell elves.

Hohoho, I've always said that Tolkien needed a good editor, but that's another can of worms entirely.

The Hooded One said:

quote:
I just get so angry at Winterfox continuing all the nastiness she indulged in for years as Darkmistress on the WotC boards, and want it to stop.

Curious. I thought Aluando said "no retaliation." Unless, of course, saying that someone "continues to be nasty" is supposed to contribute to "polite" discussion.

Edited by - Winterfox on 10 Feb 2004 08:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  12:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
M'b,

1. The company took its name for its guardianship of the city after the elves left in the 1350s DR. The Knights of Myth Drannor are the heroes of Ed Greenwood's second long-term campaign, so published lore is vague about their actions in the official 'present' timeline, which the campaign hasn't reached. The Knights are the greatest heroes of the Realms, and I'm envious of and grateful to The Hooded One for her part. (The Fall of Myth Drannor is a legal free download.)

2. Beholders are on average roughly on a par with dragons; like dragons, if you see several working together they aren't of the mightiest sort. Shandril's anger-fuelled spellfire is just horrifically powerful, and its game writeups are game-balanced rather than fully mirroring the novels.

3. I don't think Iliph Thraun has been game-quantified in print. But he could be: Ed's game Realms is not distinct from his novel Realms in that sense.

4. The former, but pure magical energy is more efficient than the uses mortal mages put it to. Liken it to nuclear power if you like. Yes, only Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  13:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

In the same way that fictional characters can overcome impossible odds, like a mortal defeating a big bad evil ubervillain... In short, yes, spellfire is the ultimate deus ex machina in its literary form, even more than Tolkien's eagles. Try what Shandril did in actual PnP and the beholders will eat you for dinner. Her energy level simply is not enough to blast that many beholders to crisp.

About that:

3.5 (and 3.0 for that matter) spellfire is a supernatural ability. If those beholders had rounded their central eyes on Shandril, a score of angry Zhent armsmen could have hacked her down without much of a struggle.

Of course, if those beholders were intent upon using their eye rays on her, then she'd have the chance to fry a few... but as we all know, the novels and the game don't usually link up as nicely as we'd like.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  21:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suppose my comment with regard to this is "If it looks silly on paper - don't PUT it on paper."

I remember that part of the Shandril saga, her blowing apart beholders as if they were soaked in gasoline. It's beholder abuse; akin to someone "fooling" beholders with the ol' "Throw the rock in the opposite direction so that ALL THEIR EYES will turn away in order for the the badly-acted hero to sneak past!"

(Movie... anyone? Anyone?)

I go to the point of creation. If the mandate was "Include all the iconic FR NPCs in the book", surely there might be another way besides creating an all-encompassing "spellfire" to do such a thing. Winterfox's cry of deus ex machina isn't far off; spellfire is the ultimate superglue. It does everything! We should can it and sell it! You too can have your very own, stored above the pantry in child-proof plastic jars!

Spellfire fixes (explains away) things that really don't even need to be fixed. If you take it a step further, it may be the literary version of wagging the dog.

The spellfire concept was unnecessary. Heck, make her an amnesiac dragon stuck in human form - you'd have the interests of the Cult of the Dragon, as well as the iconic NPCs. Sure there are holes in the concept, but it wouldn't be this made-up, all-encompassing power.

Mr. Greenwood is a great writer. His "Cormyr: A Novel" remains, in my opinion, the benchmark others should aspire to. But I think by giving more praise to "Spellfire" over his other creations, you give the short shrift to the leaps and bounds the modest world-builder has taken as a writer.

I truly look forward to his collaberation with Elaine Cunningham.

And the trees were all kept equal - by hatchet, axe, and saw. --Peart
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  06:18:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Says

Indeed as, and I don't mean this as a slight at all, but the novels from Ed Greenwood that I've enjoyed the most, were collaberations rather than the ones he wrote stand alone.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  06:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All:
I'm not lecturing here. I'd like to make that clear at the outset. However, we don't want any repeats of the WotC mess, so it's best to head off any perceived trouble.

Winterfox:
It may take two to tango, but only one to break off the dance.

Tone down on your attitude; I think that's what most people are taking offense at. You directed a bit of that attitude towards me in another thread, so I can see how easily that can be taken out of context.

Hooded One:
Everyone has a clean slate here. I've never been to the WotC forum, and I frankly don't care what others have posted there. I've seen some examples of Winterfox's tendancy to condescend (or sound like it), and I can understand how that can easily be offensible. However, until actual insults are thrown around, or otherwise participates in disruptive behavior (such as how things were going here), she's allowed to say what she wants.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  06:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heck, make her an amnesiac dragon stuck in human form - you'd have the interests of the Cult of the Dragon, as well as the iconic NPCs.

I would love to read that story! Ooooh, plotbunny.

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Indeed as, and I don't mean this as a slight at all, but the novels from Ed Greenwood that I've enjoyed the most, were collaberations rather than the ones he wrote stand alone.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I liked Cormyr: A Novel. A lot.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  07:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's my favorite of Mr. Greenwood's novels.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  14:54:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
Yes, as a matter of fact, I liked Cormyr: A Novel. A lot.

If I recall correctly, during the Mortality Radio interview, Ed Greenwood mentioned that one of the things untouched that he's longed to do, was to really look at all the noble families in Cormyr. I believe I've heard such comments from either him or others in the past and with the changes that have swept through Cormyr, the time would seem ripe to take a look.

I doubt though it will ever be done....to realms specific.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  15:34:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've been able to weasel out of Ed about Elminster's Daughter, I think it will give us a glimpse of current affairs in Cormyr.
I repeat: a glimpse. Not a deep look at the noble families or the state of the realm or anything like that.
And for the record, I loved Cormyr: A Novel too, and I know Ed loved writing with Jeff. He hated doing the whole thing in about a month, but who wouldn't? :}
His favourite bit was editor Bill Larson telling him on the phone: "This was much, much better than I'd been led to expect."
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:42:31  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

He’s also a much better writer than anyone can tell who just reads his Realms fiction.

In support of this statement I will offer the fact that one of the short stories Ed wrote for me for one of the Eden zombie fiction anthologies landed on the honorable mention list for the prestigious Datlow & Windling Year's Best Fantasy and Horror. Ed can do a lot more than just write the Realms, and the things he writes outside the Realms are very different from his Realms work.

quote:
this wasn’t his fault in Spellfire, as Mr. Lowder has explained on the WotC boards and elsewhere

To give the quick summary of the original Spellfire fiasco--Ed was hired to write a book. What he was told at various times about the book's format and content, what he heard about said subject, and what the contract finally set in stone did not match up. There are arguments to this day about who told who what and when. (The lesson here being always get it in writing.) This confusion of expectations was aggravated by the fact that the editor who hired Ed to write the book was not the one in charge of TSR's Book Department when the manuscript came in. And the new editor would have requested a totally different book from the one Ed had written. But the book was on the schedule and had to come out at that time, so the book was made to fit the length required by the contract and other cuts reflected the new editor's desire to mold or eliminate certain aspects of the story. Whole subplots got cut. And since the TSR contract does not give the author any real editorial control, Ed had no control, at the end of the day, over what cuts got made; he had input, but not final say. (I wasn't the story editor on the project, though I did get assigned some proofing and copyediting late in the project, by which point all the major cuts and changes had been made by the story editor.)

Cheers,
James Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 13 Feb 2004 03:09:47
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  05:07:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

From what I've been able to weasel out of Ed about Elminster's Daughter, I think it will give us a glimpse of current affairs in Cormyr.

Did he mention a specific area readers might get a glimpse of? Arabel? Suzail?

Thanks again The Hooded One. You should call yourself Mercury with the wonderful messages you deliver so quickly.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000