Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "Divine" Mythals?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  15:31:07  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do "divine" mythals exist? Meaning mythals powered by divine magic? I could imagine that the concept could be plausible. A bunch of very high (perhaps chosen) level priests combining their divine energy (assuming they are from non opposing faiths) to create a mythal that is on par with any of the wizardly types. Of course there would have to be a good reason for it's creation...

Comments?

PS what about "Psionic" myhthals?

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  05:51:58  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope none.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  06:20:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is quite feasible for many high priests to cast in concert. But no known entity or group has ever attempted it, or at least not yet. Perhaps they do not deem it necessary or too complex, taxing, and requiring resources that could have otherwise been used in more practical ways.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  06:21:34  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only reason the elves did it , was becuase they were like rome. To much free time to be had and nothing to do.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  06:30:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not that the priests of other races are lazy or too busy to be bothered with devising ways to better protect their realms. I would rather stick to my above reasons.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  13:36:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The definition of a "mythal" has changed somewhat over the various game editions. When first revealed in the 2E 'Ruins of Myth Drannor' boxed set, we were told that they were created by the 10th level spell 'create mythal' requiring 9 41st level casters. This source also identified other mythal cities of the Realms, with one of them, Myth Lharast noted to be 'founded as a city of Selune-worshippers'.

The lore on mythals was subsequently expanded significantly by Steven Schend in his 'Lands of Intrigue' and 'Cormanthyr' accessories. This latter product provided greatly expanded mythal lore and 2E game mechanics for elven High Magic, noting that the weaving of a mythal was considered to be the pinnacle of this sort of spellcasting. The write up of Myth Lharast provides little detail on the creation of its mythal but it is emphasized that the city was devoted to the god Selune and her worshippers.

The advent of 3E saw mythals defined even more closely with the rules and game mechanics. 'Lost Empires of Faerun' saw Eric Boyd describe in detail the difference between the various types of mythals, noting that the term had become one of nomenclature and that there were various types of mythals, with the term generally describing a large ward of magic. He for the first time identified which mythals of the Realms were crafted by elven High Magic and which were not. Of the latter category, the 'mythals' of the Imperial Mount in Shoonach, Myth Iiscar (in Lantan) and Myth Lharast are noted as being crafted by non-elves using epic magic.

The game mechanics for the Mythal epic spell seed described in 'Lost Empires of Faerun' do not specify if the seed is usable only by arcane spellcasters, and I consider that it is accordingly usable by divine spellcasters also. Given this, I am of the view that there have indeed been 'divine mythals' created during Faerun's long history, the most foremost and famous likely being Myth Lharast in present-day Amn.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  13:47:30  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about that holy tree given to Gareth Dragonsbane by Bahamut? Or it was a gem that was buried & grew into tree. Regardless, wasn't that rather similar to a mythal; I can't recall exactly, but didn't it prevent demons/devils from entering within a certain radius? Now that I think of it, didn't Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet have a similar mythal tree given by the Seldarine?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000