Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What are on the moons?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  23:51:58  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What exactly are on the moon/moons over faerun?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  01:44:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
craters

moon dust
moon rocks
faerunian cheese

spell jammer stuff......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  01:54:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bunch of paranoid Leirans, and until the Spellplague, an illusion covering them.

I've never understood myself why there weren't worshippers of Selūne on the moon that bears her name and that she represents.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  04:04:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, there are people living on Selūne.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selūne at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say makes/made because, with the death of Leira, it isn't entirely clear the illusion still exists. We're currently waiting to hear back from Ed on the matter.

My own thoughts suggest that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be. It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift." Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  04:06:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We also know that most of Selūne's surface is comprised of "sprawling cities, huge lakes, and seas. Majestic mountains with molten peaks lie in huge ranges which stretch from north to south. Three such mountain ranges exist, with the middle one being the tallest and most formidable. The tops of the highest 12 mountains are molten."

From that, we see that most of the cities spread across the surface are connected by decorative streets and illuminated walkways.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:11:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what about the other moon - the one thats 'gone' now? If the Tears were part of that, what might have survived? We know from Rich Baker's Moonsea series that at least one has a Neogi base on it. If it was really Shar's 'dark moon', then maybe there'd be all sorts of cthonic/shadowy entities in that field.

Where was the 'Rock of Braal' - was that in the Tears?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:23:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So what about the other moon - the one thats 'gone' now? If the Tears were part of that, what might have survived? We know from Rich Baker's Moonsea series that at least one has a Neogi base on it. If it was really Shar's 'dark moon', then maybe there'd be all sorts of cthonic/shadowy entities in that field.

Originally, the Rock of Bral wasn't in any particular sphere. Steven Schend placed it in the Tears in a Dragon article.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:36:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Originally, the Rock of Bral wasn't in any particular sphere. Steven Schend placed it in the Tears in a Dragon article.

Ahhh, so we have Neogi and a Beholder-run bar.... sounds like the kind of region where all sorts of 'atideluvian' critters might roam. Where are the illithids in Realmspace? Or do they just fly around all the time?

I know in Greyspace (which I know better then Realmspace, sadly) they share a planet with drow - each lives on a different side, IIRC. I used a drow scholar from there to frame my Elven Netbook articles.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  17:25:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahhh, so we have Neogi and a Beholder-run bar.... sounds like the kind of region where all sorts of 'atideluvian' critters might roam. Where are the illithids in Realmspace? Or do they just fly around all the time?

It's been ages since I cracked open my copy of the Rock of Bral, or even Realmspace... So I don't recall if there are illithids on the Rock or not. I know there are some in a giant floating skull located elsewhere in Realmspace, though -- Skull of the Void, where the illithids particularly enjoy beholder brains.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  03:18:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, I think it was Lands of Intrigue.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  03:23:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, we know they are/were on Glyth -- thanks to Eric Boyd's tidbit in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  03:42:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Actually, I think it was Lands of Intrigue.

You may be correct... Though the article introduced Gamalon Idogyr and put him on the Rock, writing a letter to his bud Elminster... Lands of Intrigue then gave us much detail about Gamalon.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  21:15:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I know in Greyspace (which I know better then Realmspace, sadly) they share a planet with drow - each lives on a different side, IIRC. I used a drow scholar from there to frame my Elven Netbook articles.

Glyth is the 6th planet. Its surface is filled with acidic rain and smoke from raging fires the continually consume anything that grows there. Its also covered in some strange gelatin that's possibly nutritious. Its the same rough size as Toril (both are labeled size E). The illithids breed and educate their humanoid stock in order to get better flavored brains. Those that are more intelligent are allowed to breed. The others are either sold to other mind flayers as cattle or used as food. The ones that breed are told they are being trained to explore new worlds, until they are too old to breed anymore, at which time they become dinner.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  16:54:05  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great share
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  14:30:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here I am thinking about the moons, and how we know at least one is affiliated with Selune, and how the 'lost moon' may have been Shar's.

And now I am thinking there may be some sort of 'cosmic tramp-stamp' hovering just above the moons, that one can only see if they have some sort of 'true sight'.

Don't know why that bizarre thought popped-into my head... I may need another break from all this LOL.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jul 2013 14:30:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000