Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Compainons *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  20:13:34  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a small spoiler....Wulfgar, is a dick.

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  21:00:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Companions was a very good read. Looking forward to snagging my hard copy when it comes out in stores. I'd recommend refraining from actual spoilers since the novel isn't out yet in stores.

Edited by - Eilserus on 02 Jul 2013 21:04:42
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  21:53:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this was going to be some kind of review.

This was not a kind move as most of us have to wait until August for this. I would have preferred it wasn't posted at all. I know you warned for spoilers but many of us are actually looking for information, not unsanctioned teases. Let WOTC tease us with the stuff.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  22:31:42  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want hard info google the book andlook for good reads a few reviews on the site.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  22:58:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

If you want hard info google the book andlook for good reads a few reviews on the site.

Many Thanks

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  23:35:54  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another bit

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-companions-r-a-salvatore/1113784400?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000633-_-978078696371&ean=9780786963713&isbn=9780786963713&r=1

Barns is selling it at 40% discount, seems most are selling it at only 5% or 10% off.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  13:32:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we all knew that already.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  15:57:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I am thoroughly confused - doesn't 'The (New) Sundering' take place between 4e and 5e?

Why would Wulfgar even be alive? Did he also suck on a Shade? Or was he trapped in a magical bottle of alcohol for a hundred years?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  16:40:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic did it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  17:44:42  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I did warn on spoilers, basically a God says go back to the living or go to paradise everyone is like lets gohelp drizzit, then wolfy is my life sucked and goes to paradise instead.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  18:07:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt Cuckolded Wulgar.

He should go back and help Drizzt's enemies.

So this is how they are going to return to the 'golden age' of FR?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2013 18:09:28
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  18:15:48  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah they will die By the time the arc is done. I think it is just fan service.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  19:11:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Why would Wulfgar even be alive? Did he also suck on a Shade? Or was he trapped in a magical bottle of alcohol for a hundred years?

<Sting did it!>

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  21:06:03  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drizzt Cuckolded Wulgar.

He should go back and help Drizzt's enemies.

So this is how they are going to return to the 'golden age' of FR?

Spoiler from reading the reviews: Basically, from what I read in the reviews Mielikki gives Drizzt's companions a chance to be reincarnated or travel to their rewards in the afterlife. They can go back in exchange for fulfilling a promise to her, all of them save for Wulgar choose to go back. The book covers something like 25 years of time from the time of their reincarnated births till they find themselves in their 20's. They maintain all of their memories and identities, and as far as I can tell - are all reincarnated in bodies that appear similar to their old ones (though obviously younger).

There was no mention of the Sundering in those reviews. My guess anything Sundering related appears toward the end of the book, since it covers such a large time span, and is the first book in the series.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  02:06:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

<Sting did it!>

Very funny, BEAST!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  15:13:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

There was no mention of the Sundering in those reviews. My guess anything Sundering related appears toward the end of the book, since it covers such a large time span, and is the first book in the series.
From what I got out of last year's Gencon seminars, the series is not really about the Sundering - its a lead-in. Yes, the Sundering IS taking place somewhere, at some point, but isn't the focus for the story.

Its basically marrying the old FR story concept (small stories about local groups of heroes) to the RSE concept (blow crap up and makes fans buy more books!) The story ties-into to the Sundering, but not directly. Thats how they put it forth last year. I assume some stories will be tied more directly to The Sundering, while others will only get a passing nod (as authors with egos write whatever the hell they want, and just pretend the story is about what they were contracted to write).

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2013 15:23:11
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  19:24:07  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you think about it, it is possible that the book coming out in March will also be during the time frame of The Sundering.
The description of The Companions states the beginning of the rumbles of The Sundering.
Markustay is correct. They said that the stories would be dealing with the iconic characters dealing with the current shift and at the end, Ao will re-write the Tablets of Fate. In a sense, I think that will be full hit of The Sundering, so it will be more at the end. Of course, I doubt it will be a snap of the fingers in time for the folks of Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  20:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another bit

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-companions-r-a-salvatore/1113784400?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000633-_-978078696371&ean=9780786963713&isbn=9780786963713&r=1

Barns is selling it at 40% discount, seems most are selling it at only 5% or 10% off.

Anyone who preordered on Amazon is getting it for 9.99 apparently. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my order today!

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  23:59:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

If you think about it, it is possible that the book coming out in March will also be during the time frame of The Sundering.
The description of The Companions states the beginning of the rumbles of The Sundering.
Markustay is correct. They said that the stories would be dealing with the iconic characters dealing with the current shift and at the end, Ao will re-write the Tablets of Fate. In a sense, I think that will be full hit of The Sundering, so it will be more at the end. Of course, I doubt it will be a snap of the fingers in time for the folks of Toril.

Salvatore always writes his own stories. No doubt this story has been tweaked and shaped somewhat by the Sundering event to come, but I'm guessing that 90% of it is the book Salvatore was planning to write all along.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  05:20:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wulfgar is free to go to the Halls of Tempus. He wasn't a happy guy since he came back from being in Errtu's clutches, so he can be with his god. I've never been a big fan of him, anyway.

But oh, these promises the others make to Mielikki. I wonder what they could be. There is always a catch, ey? I hope it's nothing too serious.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  06:40:03  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mielikki : Hey can you all like make drizzit less broody? Really hard for me to get worshipers, if he keeps going around like an emo elf, fresh in the middle of high school, and just got done listening to an evanescence linkin park , mixed CD. So yeah... cheer him up, and let everyone think he is some bad ass drow and make me a cool goddess to follow me again? Okay?

Wulfgar : Screw you , the man stole my family, woman, and pretty much every reason to live, even replacing me as the son to my dwarven adopted father.

Regis: Yes Ma'am!

Cattibri: I WANT MY HUNK OF BURNING LOVE BACK!!!!*said in stereotype fashion*
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  09:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that proves it. Wulfgar's the smart one.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  12:23:49  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a small spoiler....Wulfgar, is a dick.

Telling us things we already know is not a "spoiler"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  12:32:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Well, that proves it. Wulfgar's the smart one.

This.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  13:14:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread just made me think of a new group for my own campaign - the Sons of Wulfgar. They are a group of barbarians whose main goal is to find and exterminate any Drow they find.

They are not good guys, and thye are not bad guys. They just have an agenda.

Its pretty sad that by the end of the Companions, instead of everyone making Drizzt happy, he made all of them Emo. Maybe thats what 5eFR will be like - No-one talks; they just stare at each other with angst.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jul 2013 13:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  13:33:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its pretty sad that by the end of the Companions, instead of everyone making Drizzt happy, he made all of them Emo. Maybe thats what 5eFR will be like - No-one talks; they just stare at each other with angst.

Do they actually get depressed Oo?

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  18:21:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mielikki : Hey can you all like make drizzit less broody? Really hard for me to get worshipers, if he keeps going around like an emo elf, fresh in the middle of high school, and just got done listening to an evanescence linkin park , mixed CD. So yeah... cheer him up, and let everyone think he is some bad ass drow and make me a cool goddess to follow me again? Okay?

Wulfgar : Screw you , the man stole my family, woman, and pretty much every reason to live, even replacing me as the son to my dwarven adopted father.

Regis: Yes Ma'am!

Cattibri: I WANT MY HUNK OF BURNING LOVE BACK!!!!*said in stereotype fashion*

BRUENOR: Doo Oi get t'whack some bloody oorrcs?

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  18:22:09  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe thats what 5eFR will be like - No-one talks; they just stare at each other with angst.

. . . angstily.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  18:54:31  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No you get a speech therapist .
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  03:37:26  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt makes ME depressed! I think lolth should send her order of myrlocar after him and put he out of his misery

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000