Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vampires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  04:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any word on how much blood a Vampire (3.5) must drain to function? A Natural attack drains 2 levels and Blood Drain deals 1d4 Constitution Drain but is there an actual amount?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  06:06:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No there is not an actual amount of blood taken per feeding or attack.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  06:10:21  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to be in Van Richten's.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  07:10:44  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick look in Van Richten's does not return a specific blood amount.
It just says that it's "limited" and that they are usually small wounds, so that the victims may stay alive to provide more food.
It then says that the definition of "limited" of course depends upon the size of the victim, which suggests that the amount IS a given quantity regardless of the victim. How much, though, I could not find.
Just keep in mind it was a very quick glance, I do not have the time for a thorough perusal, currently.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  14:41:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using the Constitution = Blood Drain model, I think that it isn't so much as a preset amount (per feeding), but more of a qualitative thing (because Constitution is variable - much more so then how much blood humans have).

In other words, the blood of a level 20 character might be much more 'nutritious' then the blood of a level 1 farmer, so where the vamp would have to almost completely drain the farmer for a decent feeding, just a little of the 'rich' blood of the PC might be satisfying.

A bit weird, I know, but it helps explain the constitution thin - higher lev characters have better CON (usually).

Actually, strike that - I got misdirected by my own thoughts. The level I am talking about should be Constitution itself. A farmer with a CON of 18 would be much more satisfying for a vamp then a young mageling with a CON of only 9 or so. If something had a CON of 25, several vamps should be able to feed effectively without even killing the being. Higher CON = more nutritious blood (which makes perfect sense, IMO).

On the avergae, higher level characters have higher CON, but not always, and therefor CON itself should be use to determine how much 'blood' a vampire can take (or needs to take).

I'm sure someone could take the average blood in a human and cross-reference it with CON scores and create some sort of chart determine actual amount of blood drain... I don't have the time ATM.

EDIT: Just looked it up - the average human has 10 pints of blood, so you could just add a decimal point to the CON score and say thats how much is being drained. For instance, lets say a person has an 18 CON score, and the Vamp need to drain 4 points of blood. The person's blood is 'worth' 1.8 points per pint, so the Vamp would only have to drain a little over two pints for a feeding. If the victim had only a CON score of 10, then its blood would only be worth 1 point, and the Vamp would need to drain 4 pints (which would probably leave the victim in critical condition, if not dead).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jul 2013 14:46:43
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  20:17:33  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you asking a specific amount for Role-Playing reasons, or are you asking in a purely Rules-curious manner?

If you have access to Libris Mortis, pages 8-10 are ALL about undead hunger, and sating such.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  21:55:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark , you have too much time on your hands. Also a vampire it appears drink in ounces, not pints.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  02:21:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Using the Constitution = Blood Drain model, I think that it isn't so much as a preset amount (per feeding), but more of a qualitative thing (because Constitution is variable - much more so then how much blood humans have). [...] EDIT: Just looked it up - the average human has 10 pints of blood, so you could just add a decimal point to the CON score and say thats how much is being drained. For instance, lets say a person has an 18 CON score, and the Vamp need to drain 4 points of blood. The person's blood is 'worth' 1.8 points per pint, so the Vamp would only have to drain a little over two pints for a feeding. If the victim had only a CON score of 10, then its blood would only be worth 1 point, and the Vamp would need to drain 4 pints (which would probably leave the victim in critical condition, if not dead).
Yup, it's not how much you have, it's how much you can give without being rendered incapable of running and how much without being rendered incapable of breathing. See also any of those "vampirism 101" classes.
Of course, it also may depend on Con. In that generally tougher people should more frequently survive being put "in critical condition". So this kind of adds up.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  12:53:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Mark , you have too much time on your hands. Also a vampire it appears drink in ounces, not pints.
My games have VERY hungry vampires.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000