Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Life in a Netherese Flying City/ Enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Guys, is there any information about life on a netherese city?
I mean in "canon" FR, either 2nd/3rd/4th ed.
I'm not referring about life before the Fall...

thank you for your help, as usual.

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  01:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read the Netheril boxed set? Also, while the novels themselves are atrocious, there was a trio of books written before, during, and just after the Fall that spend much of their time in enclaves. They might be useful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  05:32:01  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could any scribe list those titles down?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  08:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Play, Dangerous Games, and Mortal Consequences.

Sword Play takes place a couple hundred years before the fall, in Dangerous Games the characters are pulled forward in time to help Karsus complete his spell and kill everyone. They were so bad that I never got around to reading Moral Consequences, but I think MC takes place just after the fall. Somehow.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  14:35:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No. The events in Mortal Consequences took place before the Fall. Time travel, remember? Only the last part of that book mentioned the Fall.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  15:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take your word for it. Like I said, that series was so awful I never read the last book.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  16:36:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It’s not that bad. Though for a series that bears the name Netheril, it doesn’t have as much Netherese lore as can reasonably be expected. In fact, in Mortal Consequences, the only “link” to Netheril is Sysquemalyn and what’s contained in the epilogue. The rest is all about Sundull, er, Sunbright.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  19:04:15  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If with "boxed set" you mean "netheril empire of magic", i haven't found relevant informations about the post-Fall...

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  22:09:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always curious as to how their glass swords and armors were created. Would be neat if Ed would be able to detail out lore and other fun stuff for the city of Shade. I'm not overly fond of their super powers, but if toned down a bit, I think Shade and reborn Netheril could be a fun addition to play with. Especially with some superb crafted lore to go with it. And a pimp map. Needs us one of those too! heheh
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  13:10:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that a lot of what the Netherese achieved was copied from the Elves (and races before even them), right down to their weaponry and even the name of their city-wide energy grids (Mythal/Mythalar).

It may have been directly copied through 'ancient magical tomes' (like the Nether scrolls), or it could just be a simple matter of normal technological (in this case magical) evolution. I assume just as in the sciences, a sentient species would have to follow a certain path to reach each new height, and would therefor make similar achievements.

Lets look at Mythals - we could theorize that the Elves themselves learned this tech from the Nether Scrolls when they had them. That would mean Mythals aren't really Elven in origin... or are they? The Nether Scrolls were put together by three of the Creator Races (AFAWK), but they also encompassed all sorts of 'strange magical traditions' practiced by just about everyone and everything they encountered. Thus, the Fey may not have been involved in the creation of the scrolls themselves*, but their techniques may have been included in them.

Thus, 'city-wide, reality-altering, energy grids' may have been something the Fey had (and it sounds very fairy-ish), and it was recorded, and then later the Elves found the scrolls and 'rediscovered' those techniques (or possibly still had them, being from Faerie themselves). So we could have it both ways in this case - Mythals are definitely a 'fey thing', but at the same time, both the Elves and Netherese could have gotten their own knowledge from the same source. The same could go for armor and weapons.

*I personally believe that the Imaskarkana are at least based in-part on the original Nether Scrolls - the Skins of the World serpent - either through the Fey's own researches into the same things the other three Creators were working on, or perhaps the Fey were in on those scrolls, at least at the beginning, and then they broke-away from the others to follow their own path (so that their version of the scrolls became something more Fey-ish - something that could take the form of something else and have hidden powers).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  14:21:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote

On-Topic:
When I thought about it for a few moments, I had first envisioned the 'poor area' being closer to 'the edge' - you know, parents would have to worry about children "playing too close to the edge", etc. Then I thought, that ring would more likely be premium real estate, because it would afford the best views. Of course, this would probably depend on the Enclave itself - some fly so high as to be 'above the clouds' most of the time.

Regardless, I picture most enclaves setup as concentric rings, with both the innermost and outermost being the most important/affluent. 'The High Society' folk would live on the very edge (with mansions protruding scarily outward), and the administrative stuff (like the Magical Schools) would be near the center. So you have your Netherese 'middle Class' living in the central ring, with shops and what-not around that, and then you would have two thinner bands of 'lower class' folk in regions adjoining the the center and outer ring - the 'service folk'. Of course, those types (which may not even be human) could possibly even live below street level... to keep them out of sight. I imagine Netherese wanting to only see beauty wherever they look, and they would hide the less-nice necessities of life (hidden, extra-dimensional Toilets?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2013 14:23:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000