Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elven Prestige Classes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brin
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  04:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Brin's Homepage Send Brin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am a nooby and probable terrible DM compared to many of you, with a very unique and twisted style. I DM using more knowledge of what I've read in FR novels than actual knowledge of DnD rulesets (which gets me into trouble with some of my players).

Anyways I have a player who constantly wants to play the most out there race and class possible, once he played a half-celestial half-dragon. It gets pretty absurd.

In my current campaign it is set to begin in Evermeet composed of an all elf party and I am trying to come up with fun classes for everyone but I want it to fit in with FR lore.

So basically the short of it is I am looking for fun elf prestige/base class ideas to propose to my party to keep them within FR lore and away from the more out there classes.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  05:29:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is always the standard classes in the PHB for the 1 - 20 levels. For other classes, I'm a fan of the Duskblade, Swashbuckler, and perhaps the Tome of Battle classes.

For prestige classes, specifically elven ones......well there's the Bladesinger, Champion of Corellon Larethian, Eternal Blade which all require elf as a race. I also once made a warlock/cleric who went eldritch disciple of Corellon.
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  06:34:03  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Olin Gisir, Spellsinger and Arcane Archer are elven PrC IIRC. Not sure if they were updated to 4E.
Spelldancers must be partially elves too.

Go to Top of Page

Brin
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  06:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Brin's Homepage Send Brin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I should've mentioned it we're doing 3.5e. I can't stand the way wizards work in 4e. Bladesingers are fun and I tried to get him to go for that but he didn't bite :-/... Arcane Archer was dismissed. I've never heard of Olin Gisir? He tends to prefer caster types over the more martially gifted classes.
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  08:58:33  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Olin Gisir is described in the Lost Empires of Faerun, and it's a lore-centered, spellcasting PrC.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Olin_Gisir

Edited by - Ze on 26 Jun 2013 08:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  13:44:07  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Feywarden (Specialty Cleric of Corellon Larethian)

Hit Die: d8.
Requirements: To qualify to become a Feywarden, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf.

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 7 ranks, Concentration 8 ranks, Craft 5 ranks, Diplomacy 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.

Feats: Fortify spell, Spell penetration.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 5'th level Divine spells. Must have either the Elf, Magic or War domain.

Special: Must have Corellon Larethian as a patron deity.

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana/Religion/History/Nature/The Planes), Profession, Scry, Spellcraft .

Skill points at each level- 2 + Int mod.

Class Features: Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Feywardens's gain no proficiency with small or light weapons.

Spells per day: A Feywardens's training focuses on divine magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of MP, she gains new spells per day as if she also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Corellon's grace: At 1'st level the Feywarden can use Cat's grace as a spell like ability once per day. The bonus to Dexterity is 1d4+2 and is cast at the PC's total caster level.

Improved Enchant weapon: At 1'st level the Feywarden can add her Wisdom modifier +1, as a bonus to her weapons attack and damage rolls once per day. This ability lasts 1d4+1 rounds.

Corellon's touch: At 2'nd level all creatures of evil alignment receive a -2 penalty to saving throws they roll against spells cast by the Feywarden.

Wrath of the Creator: at 2'nd level the Feywarden can use Greater Turning three times a day.

Maximize turning: At 3'rd level the Feywarden can automatically achieve the maximum possible result on a turning damage roll, twice per day.

Wardens immunity: At 3'rd level the Feywarden gains immunity to the paralyzing touch of Ghasts and Ghouls as well as a +2 divine bonus to saving throws against other forms of paralysis as well, such as the touch of a Lich or the various Hold spells.

Divine focus: At 4'th level the Feywarden may attune her longsword into a focus for her spells. The focus sword can then replace any material component of less than 200 gp value in the casting of her spells. The Longsword must be in hand to be used in this way. The Feywarden gains +1 caster level with any spell cast through her sword focus. The Feywarden may only have one Focus sword at a time.

Corellon's Holy aura: At 4'th level the Feywarden gains the spell like ability once per day. It functions the same as the Holy aura spell with the exception of +5 to AC, +5 resistance, and SR 25 against all spells cast by evil creatures.

Banishment: At 5'th level the Feywarden gains Banishment as a spell like ability once per day.

Starbolts: at 5'th level the Feywarden gains this ability. It works the same as a Magic Missile spell, except that 5 Multi-colored Starbolts fly forth from the fingers, and upon impact the targets are affected as if by a Plane shift spell. Each different colored starbolt sends target to a separate plane. Creatures can make a Will. save to negate. This spell can be cast one time a day, and is cast at total character divine caster level.

(All spell-like abilities are cast at total character caster level)
CL -BAB -Fort- Ref- Will- Special - Spells per day
1'st - +0 - +0 - +2 - +2 - Corellon's grace, Improved enchant weapon - +1 level
2'nd - +1 - +0 - +3 - +3 - Corellon's touch, Wrath of the creator - +1 level
3'rd - +2 - +1 - +3 - +3 - Maximize turning, Wardens immunity - +1 level
4'th - +3 - +1 - +4 - +4 - Divine focus, Corellon's holy aura - +1 level
5'th - +3 - +1 - +4 - +4 - Banishment, Starbolts

Any and all comments are welcomed. Thanks! ;)

CEV
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  15:46:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i figured 3e. The 3e warlock has a prestige class called Eldritch Disciple that fuses the cleric and warlock together. The requirement is that you must worship a chaotic deity. Corellon is definitly chaotic and it fits well with strange magic theme.

EDIT: I also forgot, the Duskblade and Swashbuckler are 3.5 too and I think it was posted here about racial substitutions for both classes. The one for the duskblade turn it into a Bladesinger style character and the swashbuckler get more defensive stuff for better Dexterity.

Elves also make excellent Warblades, espically Sun Elves with their bonus to Intelligence.

Edited by - Diffan on 26 Jun 2013 15:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Brin
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  01:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Brin's Homepage Send Brin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately it was all for naught. He's playing an Arcane Hierophant with a celestial/familiar/animal companion that is a giant eagle. He's taken the vow of poverty and plans to fly around as a giant eagle himself, while shooting sorcerer spells from his talons.
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  22:58:12  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brin

Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately it was all for naught. He's playing an Arcane Hierophant with a celestial/familiar/animal companion that is a giant eagle. He's taken the vow of poverty and plans to fly around as a giant eagle himself, while shooting sorcerer spells from his talons.

Well… yeah.

For the sake of (not necessarily total) completeness:

• Book of Exalted Deeds: Skylord
  • Champions of Ruin: Justice of Weald and Woe
  • Complete Divine: Seeker of the Misty Isle
  • Complete Warrior: Bladesinger, Darkwood Stalker
  • Dungeon Master's Guidebook: Arcane Archer
  • Lost Empires of Faerûn: Olin Gisir
  • Player's Guide to Faerûn: Evereskan Tomb Guardian
  • Player's Handbook II: Duskblade
  • Races of the Wild: Champion of Corellon Larethian, Wildrunner
  • Races of Faerûn: Bladesinger, Elven High Mage
  • Unapproachable East: Master of the Yuirwood
  • Unearthed Arcana: Elf Paragon Class

Prestige Classes specifically tailored for the needs of Drow Elves were ignored for the purpose of compiling this list.

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.

Edited by - MisterX on 03 Jul 2013 22:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  05:20:35  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By all means, AVOID allowing the 3.0 PrC Deepwood Sniper with an elven 3.5 Ranger...unless you don't mind your characters decimating your campaign. A friend allowed me to run one. by level 15, he couldn't throw anything at him. Lone survivor of Maure Castle.

After I retired that character voluntarily, he made a house rule, which I have adopted as well. If you want to be a deepwood sniper, you can only combine it with the 3.0 Ranger (big difference in the two).

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000