Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I need a generic Shade NPC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  18:25:04  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking for a generic shade NPC for my PC's to battle. CR should be above 10. 3ED or 3.5ED only please. Race don't matter. I look forward to any help and any posts. Thank you. CEV.

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  20:30:36  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Race don't matter.

Im confused. If you want a shade npc...wouldnt the race be shade?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  22:01:23  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

Race don't matter.

A Shade is a Template in 3ED and 3.5ED
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  22:16:13  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

Race don't matter.

A Shade is a Template in 3ED and 3.5ED

Yes I knew that. I apologize, I thought it was a human-only template, but I rechecked FRCS and realized it was any humanoid. I would love to play around with encounter creations, haven't done that in a while. But as-is your request opens up a wide spectrum of options. anything to narrow what your looking for a bit? especially a specific CR?

EDIT: Infact, looking at the shade template in the FRCS, there is a sample shade. Leevoth, shade captain who is a human/shade wiz3/ftr8 (CR13)

Edited by - lordsknight185 on 25 Jun 2013 22:20:16
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  00:07:57  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I seen that, but didn't want to fight Leevoth himself. Just a generic shade.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  01:00:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I seen that, but didn't want to fight Leevoth himself. Just a generic shade.

Slap a new name on him, bump him up or down a level or two, and boom, you have your own generic Shade.

Heck, all you really have to do is change his name and how you use him, and you're golden. It's pretty unlikely any of your players would ever know.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  11:25:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Slap a new name on him, bump him up or down a level or two, and boom, you have your own generic Shade.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to present "The Lazy DM's Guide to DMing"

I wrote that book btw lol.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  13:06:33  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to present "The Lazy DM's Guide to DMing"

I wrote that book btw lol.

If you are custom building every single throwaway npc in your campaign, your DMing wrong. big difference between "Lazy" and "Why am I spending three hours on this?" >.>
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  14:27:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, just a joke. In my gaming I've taken plagiarism to all new levels...it's become an art form.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  16:51:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can try here http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14465&SearchTerms=NPC,generator

As im sure to have created a few along the way
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  17:44:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Heh, just a joke. In my gaming I've taken plagiarism to all new levels...it's become an art form.

I don't recall what it was in, but I recall reading in a 2E book where it described taking some existing critter's stats, and simply changing the appearance of the critter, to throw off players... Since then, I've been a big fan of the "file off the serial numbers" approach. I see it as a wise use of available resources.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  18:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SKR recently wrote a PF supplement that does that: File Off the Serial Numbers.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  08:07:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading something like that Wooly and began doing the same thing years ago.

Hawkins, that link gives examples of changing monsters into an NPC with class levels. In the old article Wooly mentions, you change the appearance of a monster while keeping its stats. For instance, making a 'new' monster that looks like, say, an albino gorilla with demonic features that, for all intents and purposes, is a troll (in so far as the stats are concerned).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000