Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Threskel, Bane, and the Cult of the Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2018 :  09:05:58  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is not much in canon to base the following on but connecting the sparse bits and pieces related to Mourktar I offer these speculations.

Bane's clergy in Mourktar around 1E and 2E amounts to almost 1/5 of the total population of the city, and that's just the clergy. King Theris and his most trusted advisors were staunch followes of Assuran, supported by a "strong" military, yet as soon as Theris disappeared, the faith in Assuran quickly declined and left space for the Banites.
The overall history of Threskel and the fact that King Theris was the last heir of the line of war leaders that won Mourktar its independence lead me to believe that the region had always strongly autarchic and independentists vibes, with indipendence from both Unther and Chessenta (at least the Chessenta united under Tchazzar) always fought for and a perpetual state of war readiness and a "siege syndrome" that fueled the veneration for war leaders and tyrants. This was obviously fertile soil for Banite worship, but the ancient ties of the royal family with the worship of Assuran (and the old dogma of supporting the Tyrant and not being the Tyrant of the Banites of old) kept the Banites in check and as a very strong but ancillary faith to the central power of Assuran, directly bound with the royal line of war leaders.

After the ToT, after the death of King Theris (last of the line of war leaders) and after all the upheaval inside the church of Bane (or "Bane"), the situation changed and Telthaug resolutely established the already predominant faith of Bane as the de-facto government of Mourktar.

Now, what has all this to do with the Dread Imperceptor's field commander?
As you noted, the Banites had no champion in the Games for the succession for King Theris, I think this was not because they were actively shut out by the King and his advisors (seems too antagonistic of an act to do to the largest faith in your city, unless you are fishing for civil war) and we know there were other champions directly related to other faiths (an Osirian paladin and a champion of Gilgeam among the favourites, the latter surely more despised by independent Mourktar than any champion born in Threskel could ever be, even if of the "wrong" faith).
The explanation I found dives into a bit of a paradox and is based on the rules of the tournament as reported in Old Empires (page 67): It is open to both human and half-elven men and women; women are forbidden to compete in boxing and wrestling and thus labor under a handicap.
These rules imply that women have no chance of winning (since without a score in 2 of the competition is practically impossible for them to get one of the two top scores) and that everyone that's not a human or an half-elf is banned. Now the paradox I was talking about, despite the evil and brutality of Bane's dogma I cant remember if it actually states anywhere that the Tyrant has to be human, thus the Banite church could be more egalitarian than most since it doesn't matter what race or ancestry you had, but if you were the strongest then you were the rightful Tyrant.
This long and convoluted way is to say that in my view the Church of Bane could not take part in the Games because their champion was not eligible and this opens open quite a few possibilities, going from basic to wacky:
- a female human or half-elf every bit as competent as the war heroes of the region (but this may sound like a rip-off of Scyllua Darkhope);
- an elf, half-orc or dwarven champion of dubious ancestry, taken in as an orphan by the Banites and developed into an utterly loyal weapon of conquest;
- a duergar or troll (or an half-) or half-drow from the Riders to the Sky Mountains personally raised by the Dread Imperceptor or bought as a slave after his/her raiding party was destroyed by the Banites patrols and later indoctrinated.

As for Pryollus, since we don't know the name of the leader that won the independence from Unther in 823 I think it's a reasonable assumption that the only geographical feature in the area named after someone should be named after the first of the line of war leaders from which King Theris descended.

Edited by - Demzer on 03 Aug 2018 10:01:59
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2018 :  10:32:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your suppositions about threskel (especially pryollus, I will be using that idea.

I would be more tempted to make the banities absence from the tournament be about subterfuge and politics.

Perhaps have the banites protest against the bias against women and the prohibition of demi humans, not because they care but because they want to appear to represent the people and fairness.

Then a series of accidents befall the banites athletes, poisonings, injuries, sudden withdrawal, disappearances, etc.

The end result is that the games go ahead, it becomes a farce of cheating and politics. By the end the champion is discounted and the banites look like the good guys.

When king theris dies the people select kabarrath to rule.

What no one realises is the banites poisoned and injured and blackmailed it's own athletes to remove them from the games, it then aided the cheating of others (supplying performance enhancing magic to athletes through black market agents they paid, and provided assassin contacts to those wishing to eliminate rivals).

So the baddies make themselves look like goodies and get chosen by popular outcry to rule the city when theris is dead. After all the banites are not outwardly evil, they just want a strictly lawful and regimented society that their leaders can exploit to their own advantage.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2018 :  14:00:26  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it has been mentioned here yet, but I mostly follow Eric L. Boyd "apocryphal" Old Empires timeline extension (available somewhere in these forums).

In it there is a lot of backstabbing and cheating in the Games that ends up with the Osirian paladin winning and in the space of some years being assassinated by the Banites which then proceed to take control of the ruling council of the city that substitutes the monarchy.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2018 :  14:08:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I likewise follow that timeline. Sounds like a perfect double fake; eliminate all your own participants to make yourself look like the victim and gain popular support, then secretly manipulate events so a loser (red wizards) hires an assassin to take out the winner thus nullifying the result of the games and invalidating that method of succession.

Then when the king dies everyone thinks the banites should be in charge.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2018 :  18:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I likewise follow that timeline. Sounds like a perfect double fake; eliminate all your own participants to make yourself look like the victim and gain popular support, then secretly manipulate events so a loser (red wizards) hires an assassin to take out the winner thus nullifying the result of the games and invalidating that method of succession.

Then when the king dies everyone thinks the banites should be in charge.

While I have no objections to the events of the timeline, I still believe that if the option of winning the games outright had been available to the master of the Black Lord's Cloak, it would have been a lot less trouble, risk and expense. Not to mention that entering a competitor would not have prevented them from putting an alternate plan into effect if he didn't look like their man was going to win.

It is, of course, possible that both the faiths of Assuran of the Three-Thunders and Bane, the Black Lord, sent competitors that were not notable enough to be named among the four major contenders in Old Empires. There were, after all, a total of 64 competitors.

But I think it would be more credible that King Theris' vision from Assuran specifically called for the priests of the civil faiths of Mourktar, Assuran and Bane, to continue in their roles as the strong pillars of the Mourktar throne and act as disinterested judges of the contest.

Either Assuran or King Theris would have realised the damage it would do to Mourktar if the churches of Assuran and Bane started to quarrel for ultimate power in Mourktar. King Theris seems to have had the loyalty of the army and enough pull in politics to get the guilds to agree to a plan for the succession that they considered, frankly, insane. Yet King Theris didn't try to leave his throne to a devouted servant of Assuran, which suggests, to me, that he realised that after his passing, the Black Lord's Cloak wouldn't accept the continued supremacy of the church of Assuran, not without the legitimacy of descent from the royal family. The tournament seems like it might have been an attempt to prevent civil strife by raising up a ruler who had ties to neither church.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 06 Aug 2018 18:58:56
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2018 :  00:59:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

There is not much in canon to base the following on but connecting the sparse bits and pieces related to Mourktar I offer these speculations.

Bane's clergy in Mourktar around 1E and 2E amounts to almost 1/5 of the total population of the city, and that's just the clergy. King Theris and his most trusted advisors were staunch followes of Assuran, supported by a "strong" military, yet as soon as Theris disappeared, the faith in Assuran quickly declined and left space for the Banites.
The overall history of Threskel and the fact that King Theris was the last heir of the line of war leaders that won Mourktar its independence lead me to believe that the region had always strongly autarchic and independentists vibes, with indipendence from both Unther and Chessenta (at least the Chessenta united under Tchazzar) always fought for and a perpetual state of war readiness and a "siege syndrome" that fueled the veneration for war leaders and tyrants. This was obviously fertile soil for Banite worship, but the ancient ties of the royal family with the worship of Assuran (and the old dogma of supporting the Tyrant and not being the Tyrant of the Banites of old) kept the Banites in check and as a very strong but ancillary faith to the central power of Assuran, directly bound with the royal line of war leaders.

After the ToT, after the death of King Theris (last of the line of war leaders) and after all the upheaval inside the church of Bane (or "Bane"), the situation changed and Telthaug resolutely established the already predominant faith of Bane as the de-facto government of Mourktar.

Now, what has all this to do with the Dread Imperceptor's field commander?
As you noted, the Banites had no champion in the Games for the succession for King Theris, I think this was not because they were actively shut out by the King and his advisors (seems too antagonistic of an act to do to the largest faith in your city, unless you are fishing for civil war) and we know there were other champions directly related to other faiths (an Osirian paladin and a champion of Gilgeam among the favourites, the latter surely more despised by independent Mourktar than any champion born in Threskel could ever be, even if of the "wrong" faith).
The explanation I found dives into a bit of a paradox and is based on the rules of the tournament as reported in Old Empires (page 67): It is open to both human and half-elven men and women; women are forbidden to compete in boxing and wrestling and thus labor under a handicap.
These rules imply that women have no chance of winning (since without a score in 2 of the competition is practically impossible for them to get one of the two top scores) and that everyone that's not a human or an half-elf is banned. Now the paradox I was talking about, despite the evil and brutality of Bane's dogma I cant remember if it actually states anywhere that the Tyrant has to be human, thus the Banite church could be more egalitarian than most since it doesn't matter what race or ancestry you had, but if you were the strongest then you were the rightful Tyrant.
This long and convoluted way is to say that in my view the Church of Bane could not take part in the Games because their champion was not eligible and this opens open quite a few possibilities, going from basic to wacky:
- a female human or half-elf every bit as competent as the war heroes of the region (but this may sound like a rip-off of Scyllua Darkhope);
- an elf, half-orc or dwarven champion of dubious ancestry, taken in as an orphan by the Banites and developed into an utterly loyal weapon of conquest;
- a duergar or troll (or an half-) or half-drow from the Riders to the Sky Mountains personally raised by the Dread Imperceptor or bought as a slave after his/her raiding party was destroyed by the Banites patrols and later indoctrinated.

just to note, Kabbarrath's name was apparently updated to two B's in dragons of Faerun.

Hmmmm, that's an interesting concept... so possibly Imperceptor Kabbarrath Telthaugh himself couldn't compete because he wasn't a human or a half-elf... and maybe that's why the clause was added. Maybe they knew he wouldn't put forth another champion, because he wanted to be the ruler himself. I just checked both Faiths and Avatars and Dragons of Faerun. Neither of them actually specify his race (or even his class or level). Just to throw some options out there...

Another godson of Bane birthed on a devil, such that he's a tiefling?

Another Banelich, thus why this temple was still able to worship "Bane" despite his death (though we do know that the temple also changed its colors to black and green)?

Some other kind of undead, such as a vampire, a mummy, etc... (noting here that the Black Lord's Cloak is a strange blood drinking cloak once worn by Bane, so vampire COULD fit if he was turned by the power of the cloak)

From F&A regarding the Temple of the Black Lord's Cloak
The temple is named for its only relic, an animated black cloak once worn by Bane himself that became a sentient monster that envelops people from time to time and sucks them dry of all blood.

Maybe he's a half-dragon? In fact, if Assuran of the Three Thunders is an ascended blue dragon as many of us have asserted, and if Assuran ascended with the help of Bane..... maybe the price was his firstborn child.... hmmm, and to make things REALLY weird.... maybe he was birthed upon Ishtar, and this was what made Ramman chase Assuran out of Unther. Or if you don't want to get all freaky-deaky just a regular half-dragon, but birthed from one of the blue dragons serving Alasklerbanbastos... or even possibly Alasklerbanbastos himself (how long can half-dragons live anyway? This would put Kabbarrath Telthaug at probably more than 350 back in 1357 since Alasklerbanbastos converted in 1018 DR).

Just to note as well, Alasklerbanbastos apparently converted to a dracolich at the same time that a rage of dragons occurred, since this is when Gargauth was released down in Peleveran. Its also the same time that Tchazzar the red dragon ascended by "disappearing".

Maybe some other non human or non half-elf.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2018 :  03:43:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, after writing up the above... I decided, just for fun let's get REALLY Freaky with it..... and it actually turns interesting.

Assuran is an ascended blue dragon. Alasklerbanbastos is his child (grandchild maybe?).

Gilgeam did in fact have a child. It was with a succubus created from the soul of a former priestess of Inanna who had served Gilgeam as a lover when she was alive. This daughter was Gilgeam's secret shame, but he could not bring himself to kill her. He kept this daughter secret.

When Tchazzar was rallying northwestern Unther, he captured Gilgeam's daughter. Tchazzar used Gilgeam's daughter to force Gilgeam to not join in the fight against Chessenta.

Determined to force Gilgeam to destroy his enemy, Alasklerbanbastos steals Gilgeam's daughter from Tchazzar. However, Alasklerbanbastos was unprepared for the magically seductive nature of a god-born child from a succubus of a former priestess of Inanna. Alasklerbanbastos is wooed by Gilgeam's daughter, but as a dragon he also refuses to let her leave him, coveting her as if she were treasure. A child is born of their union. This part dragon, part succubus, part divine being would come to be called Kabbarrath Telthaugh, and he is born with his mother's natural ability to polymorph himself due to his diluted succubus blood.

1000 DR (source demihuman deities)
Priests of Abbathor, dwarven lord of Greed, follow a trail of golden coins that they believe were placed by Abbathor. They enter a trapped dragon's lair, which they traverse for some time before penetrating the lair.

1001 DR Year of the Awakening (source demihuman deities and Power & Pantheons)
The dwarven priests of Abbathor discover the ghost of a great red wyrm named Ragflaconshen, Spawn of Mahatnartorian. The dragon had died defending its lair from the avatar of Abbathor. The priests of the god of Greed are directed to spread word to the other clergy of his faithful throughout the cold lands that they are to bring their hoards to the dragon's lair in order to set the ghost to rest.

Somehow the Cult of the Dragon Archmage, Tuelhalva Drakewings, hears of this undead dragon, however the information he is given indicates that it is in the Cliffside City of Peleveria down in the Shaar. Tuelhalva Drakewings discovers the Dark Pit of Maleficence and hears "a reptilian voice" who promises him power if he will free him from the pit. Tuelhalva sees this as a means to break away from Algashon and his Banites who have started taking control of the Cult of the Dragon. Tuelhalva begins a 17 year long ritual which will eventually come to release Gargauth.

1018 DR (sources Cult of the Dragon, Demihuman Deities, and Powers and Pantheons)

Tuelhalva Drakewings calls for a secession from the Cult of the Dragon in Sembia, and numerous Cult mages, dracoliches, dracohybrids, and dragons come to Tuelhalva's side in Peleveran. Tuelhalva frees Gargauth (and his great blue wyrm mount Rathguul) from the Dark Pit of Maleficence in the Cliffside City of Peleveria in the kingdom of Peleveran in the Shaar (a city built into the Landrise). He is rewarded with an army of baatezu, which he uses to seize the throne of Peleveran. Many mages of the Cult of the Dragon

The King Killer Star draws near. Dragons throughout Faerun begin feeling the effects of the rage.

The priests of Abbathor bring enough of their hoards to the lair of the lair of the ghost dragon, Ragflaconshen, Spawn of Mahatnartorian, that the spirit of the dragon can finally rest. Abbathor directs them to build Aefarn, the House of Gold, his greatest temple in Faerun on the site.

Gargauth approaches members of the Cult of the Dragon in Urmlaspyr in the guise of an aged wizard and whispers that Tuelhalva Drakewings has killed "an ancient undead dragon king". This is "confirmed" when their divinations "reveal" that a powerful dragon spirit has been "destroyed". Enraged, Algashon and 20 other mages of the Cult summoned all their dragon, dracolich, and dragon hybrid allies together into huge a flight of dragons.

Seeking to escape the dragon rage, Tchazzar enters into a pact with some divine being (Bane? Gargauth? Tiamat?) to ascend as a demigod. He disappears from Chessenta.

In a fit of dracorage, Alasklerbanbastos kills Gilgeam's daughter. Seeking to escape the dragon rage before it can affect him again, Alasklerbanbastos hears of the Cult of the Dragon descending on Peleveran. He contacts members of the Cult as he is given to understand that dracoliches are not affected by the dragon rage. A group of Banite priests of the Cult of the Dragon separate themselves from their mission in order to create a new dracolich. Enjoying the beliefs of the Cult of the Dragon that undead dragons would come to rule the world, especially given his part dragon status, Kabbarrath Telthaug leaves his home to travel with the cultists and learn their secrets.

Within a month of Tuelhalva's coronation, a Rage of Dragons descends on Peleveran, and when it had passes not a trace of that nation nor Tuelhalva remain.

Drakewings, his followers, and the handful of dragons and dracoliches they control were all destroyed, but the Sembian faction#146;s victory comes at a price. Beyond decimating the Sembians'#146; ranks of draconic might, Algashon, high priest of Bane, falls in the climactic confrontation with Drakewings. Algashon and Tuelhalva meet high above the smoking ruins of Peleveria, each atop a mighty dracolich. The name of Drakewings#146; mount is lost, but Algashon rode Shargrailar the Dark into the fray. Of the four, only the Sacred One, as Shargrailar demanded to be called, survived.

A whispering voice tells Kabbarrath Telthaug where he can find an artifact of Bane, the Dark Lord's Cloak, on the body of Algashon, former High Priest of Bane and head Cult of the dragon. Kabbarrath Telthaugh convinces several banite priests of the Cult of the Dragon to serve him. They proceed to establish the temple known as "The Black Lord's Cloak" in Mourktar.

Kabbarrath Telthaugh, with study of the ritual to make dracoliches and his studies of Bane, decides that he will seek to become the first draco-banelich, and thus he will become the first undead dragon to rule with a fist of the tyrant.

So, the half-dragon, half-fiend, with blood of a god, turns draco-banelich, using the artifact known as "The Black Lord's Cloak" as his phylactery. Similar to how liches must "rejuvenate" themselves with larvae, his phylactery must periodically drain blood from the living in order to maintain Kabbarrath's lich state.

Kabbarrath Telthaug becomes regent of Mourktar after the fallout from the death of King Theris.

Alasklerbanbastos reaches out to his son, Kabbarrath, to help him rule Threskel and fight off against Tchazzar.

Spellplague - Mourktar and much of Threskel transfers to Abeir. On Toril, a new city is built on the coastline of Threskel, and it is named Mourktar by those who survived.

While in Abeir, Kabbarath Telthaug, grandchild of Gilgeam, convinces the Mulan descendants that he is actually Gilgeam. The spirit of Bane that survives within him speaks to him of gaining greater divinity by absorbing the power of a primordial being. "Gilgeam"/Kabbarrath begins leading an army of Mulans to hunt down and kill the primordial lord Karshimis, "the despot of Shyr". The sundering occurs befor he can kill Karshimis, bringing Kabbarrath/"Gilgeam" back to Toril.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Aug 2018 04:11:05
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2018 :  23:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dread Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug's age

How old are scribes imagining Dread Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug?

He was the high priest of the Black Lord's Cloak before the Time of Troubles, which means that in 1357-1358 DR, Imperceptor Kabarrath had amassed the personal power and learning of a 12th+ level priest, as well as the political influence, support and network of favours within the church of Bane to become the master of the largest, most powerful temple to the Black Lord in Faerun.

Of course, Imperceptor Kabarrath might have been the master of the Black Lord's Cloak for decades before claiming the title of Dread Imperceptor.

At minimum, I'd expect Kabarrath to be in his forties when he became the high priest of the Black Lord's Cloak. This means that at the absolute youngest, he could be 57-60 years old in 1373 DR. To me, that feels a little too young, but it's within the realm of possibility.

To take a more likely guess, if Kabarrath was in his mid-fifties when he became the master of the temple and he had held that position for a decade or two before the Time of Troubles, he'd be more than eighty in 1373 DR. I like that age, I think.

Any thoughts?

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 07 Aug 2018 23:40:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  01:05:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

He was the high priest of the Black Lord's Cloak before the Time of Troubles, which means that in 1357-1358 DR, Imperceptor Kabarrath had amassed the personal power and learning of a 12th+ level priest, as well as the political influence, support and network of favours within the church of Bane to become the master of the largest, most powerful temple to the Black Lord in Faerun.

Of course, Imperceptor Kabarrath might have been the master of the Black Lord's Cloak for decades before claiming the title of Dread Imperceptor.

At minimum, I'd expect Kabarrath to be in his forties when he became the high priest of the Black Lord's Cloak. This means that at the absolute youngest, he could be 57-60 years old in 1373 DR. To me, that feels a little too young, but it's within the realm of possibility.

To take a more likely guess, if Kabarrath was in his mid-fifties when he became the master of the temple and he had held that position for a decade or two before the Time of Troubles, he'd be more than eighty in 1373 DR. I like that age, I think.

Any thoughts?

Depends on what race he actually is. You are assuming human. He could be several hundred years old for all we know.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  02:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Depends on what race he actually is. You are assuming human. He could be several hundred years old for all we know.

I'm assuming human because Faiths & Avatars p. 20 states, for non-human clergy, priests & followers, that if non-human clergy are allowed, it would be specifically mentioned in the individual deity write-ups. Bane contains no such mentions.

The text then further suggests that the player and GM communicate clearly about their needs and desires, how to make both persons happy without introducing silly characters, plot elements or SpecialSnowflakeRainbowUnicorns of Fashionable Faith into the Realms. Which, if everyone affected is cool with, is just fine.

But it leads pretty firmly to the interpretation that a priest of a human deity is human, unless otherwise specified. And the more politically influential a priest is, the better the odds on him being ethnically, culturally and racially acceptable to the majority of the devout.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  05:08:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any thoughts?

It's not inconceivable that he could be younger, assuming he was prodigious enough to rise quickly through the ranks.

Admittedly, priestly Palpatine works too.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  12:17:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm assuming human because Faiths & Avatars p. 20 states, for non-human clergy, priests & followers, that if non-human clergy are allowed, it would be specifically mentioned in the individual deity write-ups. Bane contains no such mentions.

The text then further suggests that the player and GM communicate clearly about their needs and desires, how to make both persons happy without introducing silly characters, plot elements or SpecialSnowflakeRainbowUnicorns of Fashionable Faith into the Realms. Which, if everyone affected is cool with, is just fine.

But it leads pretty firmly to the interpretation that a priest of a human deity is human, unless otherwise specified. And the more politically influential a priest is, the better the odds on him being ethnically, culturally and racially acceptable to the majority of the devout.

FRC1 Ruins of Adventure

The temple is currently under the sway of Mace, a half-orc who is also a 4th level cleric of Bane. He has a substantial following of orcs who consider him to be divinely guided and who obey him slavishly.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  13:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

FRC1 Ruins of Adventure

The temple is currently under the sway of Mace, a half-orc who is also a 4th level cleric of Bane. He has a substantial following of orcs who consider him to be divinely guided and who obey him slavishly.

I don't object to the occasional exotic priest of Bane edisting in the Realms, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that unless otherwise specified, priests of human deities are human. FRC1 specifies otherwise. Faiths and Avatars does not.

And I also believe that there is a world of difference between being a bandit orc chief with minor clerical abilities from Bane and rising to lead the largest temple of Bane in the Realms. Success in clerical politics correlates with success in temporal politics. Either way, make sure you select the right parents, ancestors, relatives and connections. That means being born to local aristocrats who can help your church career, not to monsters living outside civilised society.

For a real-world analogy, look at the Roman Catholic church. There are a fair number of priests who have belonged to ethnicities other than those forming the Italian aristocracy, but look at how many of those have made Pope. Disregarding the early history of the Church, as the reliability of evidence for the age, ethnicity and even gender of Popes that far into the past might fairly be called into question, for about the thousand years, the Pope has nearly always been a middle-aged or older Italian guy with lots of noble relatives, and even when he wasn't, he was still a highly educated and well-connected middle-aged or older white guy indistinguishable from an Italian to most of the planet's populace.

Edited by - Icelander on 08 Aug 2018 13:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  14:15:25  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For a real-world analogy, look at the Roman Catholic church.

Assuming real world religions as analogies for the Realms is a recipe for disaster, in this case because the Pope gets elected (and there are countless ways in which this election can and has been manipulated) while we have no clue what's the process of selection for most of the churches of the Realms.
In the case of the Banite church, the titular head of the church (their "Pope") was directly indicated by Bane himself and we don't know what ways it took to ascend the various ranks.
An election of any kind seems completely out of the style of Banite practices so I would avoid any analogy with elective offices.

Edited by - Demzer on 08 Aug 2018 14:16:13
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  14:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

For a real-world analogy, look at the Roman Catholic church.

Assuming real world religions as analogies for the Realms is a recipe for disaster, in this case because the Pope gets elected (and there are countless ways in which this election can and has been manipulated) while we have no clue what's the process of selection for most of the churches of the Realms.
In the case of the Banite church, the titular head of the church (their "Pope") was directly indicated by Bane himself and we don't know what ways it took to ascend the various ranks.
An election of any kind seems completely out of the style of Banite practices so I would avoid any analogy with elective offices.

It's not like the 'election' was all that democratic. The new Pope was co-opted by an oligarchic inner circle of the church, usually with a lot of bribery, horse-trading and unofficial power-sharing agreements behind the scenes. I expect that to be the practical reality for many faiths in the Realms, regardless of what the process is called.

From what I could tell from the power struggles in Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster between 1300-1372 DR, the church politics of the Black Lord's Altar and the wider church of Bane were actually very analogous to High Medieval to Renaissance church politics.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  14:59:29  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I expect that to be the practical reality for many faiths in the Realms, regardless of what the process is called.

Why would that be? All Churches of the Realms were explicitly designed to be different from real world churches, so why do you assume they should follow the same (or similar) routes?
This is why I'm warning you about making analogies, it may work for your games but it's a way of seeing the churches of the Realms which is biased at the start by you implying any connection with the real world while we know that the creator of the Realms designed the faiths to be different (beside the simple fact of the proved existence and power of the various gods in a fantasy setting, which in itself shapes the world in a completely different way).

quote:

From what I could tell from the power struggles in Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster between 1300-1372 DR, the church politics of the Black Lord's Altar and the wider church of Bane were actually very analogous to High Medieval to Renaissance church politics.

Care to quote or point me to any relevant material?

In the Realms we have examples of deities directly appointing people or duels, conflicts and general backstabbing as promotions into higher positions. There have been a couple of examples of lenght of service or seniority that pretty much disregarded actual divine power wielded by the individuals (meaning clerical or analogous levels, judged by access to more powerful spells and like abilities).

Even a rigged oligarchic election is a moment in which several notables/high ranking elements of the church/organization congregate and collegially decide who gets to rule/lead. To my knowledge there is nothing even remotely similar to that ever reported for any faith of Faerun (although I expect some of the more goodly faith to have something like that), and I'm pretty sure it's not the case for the Church of Bane that actually doesn't recognize at any point any kind of collegial or shared responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  15:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I expect that to be the practical reality for many faiths in the Realms, regardless of what the process is called.

Why would that be? All Churches of the Realms were explicitly designed to be different from real world churches, so why do you assume they should follow the same (or similar) routes?
This is why I'm warning you about making analogies, it may work for your games but it's a way of seeing the churches of the Realms which is biased at the start by you implying any connection with the real world while we know that the creator of the Realms designed the faiths to be different (beside the simple fact of the proved existence and power of the various gods in a fantasy setting, which in itself shapes the world in a completely different way).

Because oligarchic co-option is probably the most common system for the transfer of power that isn't coup or civil war.

Whether you call the process an election, appointment, hire or divine selection, the reality behind a transfer of power is usually an informal process of the existing oligarchy coming to accept someone as the new master, usually one of their own. This doesn't just apply to religious institutions, it applies in pretty much any kind of corporation, organisation or social club.

quote:

Care to quote or point me to any relevant material?

See the Curse of the Azure Bonds and Ruins of Zhentil Keep. Bane doesn't step in to directly appoint the head of the Orthodox or Transformed Churches to lead his faith and the strife between them takes the form of legalistic wrangling, politics, intrigue and propaganda to convince the important people within the church to follow them.

The strife between High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon, High Inquisitor Ginali and Imperceptor Fzoul Chembryl was in many ways similar to the Popes of Avignon and Rome, not to mention the strife for the papacy between the de Borja/Borgia family and the Della Rovere family, or the Orsini and Colonna families. Not to mention that the First and Second Banedeaths, as well as the inquisitions after the return of Bane, had plenty of parallels to real history, which probably don't need to be spelled out.

quote:

In the Realms we have examples of deities directly appointing people or duels, conflicts and general backstabbing as promotions into higher positions. There have been a couple of examples of lenght of service or seniority that pretty much disregarded actual divine power wielded by the individuals (meaning clerical or analogous levels, judged by access to more powerful spells and like abilities).

We know that dueling for the position is not an option that was open to any of the claimants in the Moonsea for the past century or so. Nor was open warfare likely to succeed.

quote:

Even a rigged oligarchic election is a moment in which several notables/high ranking elements of the church/organization congregate and collegially decide who gets to rule/lead. To my knowledge there is nothing even remotely similar to that ever reported for any faith of Faerun (although I expect some of the more goodly faith to have something like that), and I'm pretty sure it's not the case for the Church of Bane that actually doesn't recognize at any point any kind of collegial or shared responsibility.

It doesn't really matter whether the organisation recognises collegial responsibility, the fact is that in order for any one person to exercise authority over a large organisation, he or she needs the tacit acceptance of the established order. All the indispensable bureaucrats, middle managers and every other cog in the organisation have to decide to support the new master, or at least not to actively resist him. Otherwise, any title, divinely granted or not, would be empty.

Besides, from what I can tell, Bane selects his High Imperceptor from those who can already muster support from a lot of clergy and lay worshippers. Bane didn't select some holy child of pure faith, he selected the veteran victor of about a century of religious strife and office politics in the Moonsea, even if there were extremely legitimate concerns about his loyalty.

So, yeah, I view Bane's selection of his High Imperceptor as working very much like acclamation quasi afflati Spiritu Sancto, i.e. the divine selection usually just happens to fall upon the candidate with the best connections, support within the church and political acumen.

In ordinary times for Bane's church: "The High Imperceptor is selected from among all the Imperceptors at a special council called in Mulmaster when the previous High Imperceptor enters the afterlife or retires" (from the Ruins of Zhentil Keep). This is pretty much identical to a papal conclave and a pretty good reason to assume that oligarchic co-option is known within Bane's church.

That being said, Bane has only directly selected his High Imperceptor and then only when he returned from the death. All other titles within the faith are self-bestowed, as long as the prospective candidate can convince a higher-ranking priest to recognise the title.

That suggests to me that becoming the master of a Banite temple upon the death of the last high priest usually involved getting the approval of the sitting High Imperceptor or of one or more of the nearest Baneliches who were former High Imperceptors. As there was only one High Imperceptor and 35 Baneliches, I think that that method was more common.

Steven Schend made sure that not all 35 Baneliches were destroyed in the Tyrantfog, as it stretched from Zhentil Keep to Starmantle and the Sunset Mountains to Tsurlagol, with a second area of fog appeared between Mintar and Saradush. That leaves the area around the Black Lord's Cloak wide open and I would tend to assume that at least one and probably several Baneliches are associated with that temple.

The most probable way that Kabarrath Telthaug became the high priest of the temple is through acceptance by these Baneliches, which, in turn, was heavily dependent on their appraisal of his political support within the church, as they have no interest in a tyrant who cannot lead his own temple.

Edited by - Icelander on 08 Aug 2018 16:08:38
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  16:09:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do love your realism take on the realms as it closely matches how I portray mine.

The only comment that may be off is about warfare not being a viable option. There were a number of wars in the moonsea region (although they got little mention) I think zhentil keeps entire navy was destroyed 3 times in 30 years. While the overt reason for war may not have been religious in nature, the side that attained victory may well have gained an upper hand in the struggle for religious dominance.

I do fully intend to visit the church of Bane fracturing from a more humanist point of view as it is really interesting and drives political feuds for the foreseeable future.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  16:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do love your realism take on the realms as it closely matches how I portray mine.

The only comment that may be off is about warfare not being a viable option. There were a number of wars in the moonsea region (although they got little mention) I think zhentil keeps entire navy was destroyed 3 times in 30 years. While the overt reason for war may not have been religious in nature, the side that attained victory may well have gained an upper hand in the struggle for religious dominance.

I do fully intend to visit the church of Bane fracturing from a more humanist point of view as it is really interesting and drives political feuds for the foreseeable future.

Oh, using warfare as a political tool to further your career within the Church of Bane is every bit as legitimate as it was within the Roman Catholic Church for about half the Popes between the 10th and the 16th century.

It's just that you can't go to war and demand that you be made Pope/High Imperceptor when you win. You have to be a bit more subtle than that and provide a legal figleaf of some sort.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  20:11:36  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See the Curse of the Azure Bonds and Ruins of Zhentil Keep. Bane doesn't step in to directly appoint the head of the Orthodox or Transformed Churches to lead his faith and the strife between them takes the form of legalistic wrangling, politics, intrigue and propaganda to convince the important people within the church to follow them.

Of course Bane doesn't step in, the Orthodox church already had a head at that point, from Ruins of Zhentil Keep we know that Szchulan Darkoon, 8th High Imperceptor rose to the seat in or shortly after 1224 DR (death of Brist, 7th High Imperceptor). It was probably a mistery to contemporary Banites while Fzoul was allowed his open defiance but we have the benefit of knowing that he was destined to great things (and the spiel about "strife is good" which I personally find distasteful but fits with the old Banite dogma) and Bane didn't care about "appointing" the head of the Transformed Church (or maybe he implicitly did allowing Fzoul's rise to power, but that's beside the point) because he already had a living head of his church. We will never know if Bane would have done something in a direct showdown because wisely both contendents avoided that and preferred the political maneuvering that you outlined.

quote:

The strife between High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon, High Inquisitor Ginali and Imperceptor Fzoul Chembryl was in many ways similar to the Popes of Avignon and Rome, not to mention the strife for the papacy between the de Borja/Borgia family and the Della Rovere family, or the Orsini and Colonna families. Not to mention that the First and Second Banedeaths, as well as the inquisitions after the return of Bane, had plenty of parallels to real history, which probably don't need to be spelled out.

In which ways was it similar to the Avignon Papacy? The real world historical events were dictated by the influence of the dangerous situation in Rome and the high pressures from Philip IV of France, threatening a much greater schism. Fzoul decided of his own volition to disregard the authority of the High Imperceptor and actually split the church.

In which ways was it similar to the power struggles of the Borgia, Della Rovere, Orsini and Colonna families? All of these families were already powerful noble families with extensive holdings and connections to other noble families and royalty all over Europe, something that was automatic in the society at the time with the second male child of every catholic noble family sent into the ranks of the Roman Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church actually being it's own kingdom (with the added benefit of the Pope interfering with the affairs of foreign kingdoms on "moral grounds", albeit at his own peril). No kingdom in the Realms has such extensive connections between a single church and the nobility (even in the Old Empires it was the other way around with priests automatically being pushed up the social ladder, not nobility falling into the church as a backup because they would not inherit) and it isn't said anywhere that either Fzoul or Szchulan (... which have mighty similar names now that I wrote them one next to the other, at least in the way I think they should be pronounced ...) were of noble birth, not them nor any other High Imperceptor.

The Banedeaths were Cyric's idea and the pogroms after the Return of Bane were against Cyricists so I don't see any connection to the initial problem of how does a cleric of Bane way before the Time of Troubles get his temple (the case of Kabbarath Telthaug).

quote:

It doesn't really matter whether the organisation recognises collegial responsibility, the fact is that in order for any one person to exercise authority over a large organisation, he or she needs the tacit acceptance of the established order. All the indispensable bureaucrats, middle managers and every other cog in the organisation have to decide to support the new master, or at least not to actively resist him. Otherwise, any title, divinely granted or not, would be empty.

If the head of the organization can casually smite to death with his divinely granted powers the opposition than you have to be sure to be as powerful as them (without counting your own divine power, in case it gets taken from you since you are going against your godly appointed leader) before opposing them. The analogy would be with a Prime Minister with power of life and death over the members of Parliament from his own political party. Or in other words, a tyranny.

That's why Telthaug did his own thing unopposed, he was mighty powerful by himself and probably favored by Bane in the same way as Fzoul but he didn't push the issue with the High Imperceptor and minded his own business so there wasn't much open strife between Mourktar and Mulmaster (geographical distance helping the High Imperceptor in overlooking Telthaug exception).

quote:

Besides, from what I can tell, Bane selects his High Imperceptor from those who can already muster support from a lot of clergy and lay worshippers. Bane didn't select some holy child of pure faith, he selected the veteran victor of about a century of religious strife and office politics in the Moonsea, even if there were extremely legitimate concerns about his loyalty.

Which doesn't imply anything regarding royalty, nobility or being deeply invested in the political power of the region. Most of the High Imperceptors of the past are remembered because of the expansion of the Church in territories where the open worship is deeply disliked (if not persecuted) and the killing of their enemies. They are remembered not because they were attending banquets and balls and signing treaties with rulers but because they were creating plagues and killing Harpers.

quote:

That being said, Bane has only directly selected his High Imperceptor and then only when he returned from the death.

Wrong. Bane did indeed only select the High Imperceptor, but before the ToT, after his Return it was only Fzoul, Chosen Tyrant of Bane (you can find it in Faiths & Avatars and Faiths and Pantheons).

quote:

All other titles within the faith are self-bestowed, as long as the prospective candidate can convince a higher-ranking priest to recognise the title.

That suggests to me that becoming the master of a Banite temple upon the death of the last high priest usually involved getting the approval of the sitting High Imperceptor or of one or more of the nearest Baneliches who were former High Imperceptors. As there was only one High Imperceptor and 35 Baneliches, I think that that method was more common.

Steven Schend made sure that not all 35 Baneliches were destroyed in the Tyrantfog, as it stretched from Zhentil Keep to Starmantle and the Sunset Mountains to Tsurlagol, with a second area of fog appeared between Mintar and Saradush. That leaves the area around the Black Lord's Cloak wide open and I would tend to assume that at least one and probably several Baneliches are associated with that temple.

The most probable way that Kabarrath Telthaug became the high priest of the temple is through acceptance by these Baneliches, which, in turn, was heavily dependent on their appraisal of his political support within the church, as they have no interest in a tyrant who cannot lead his own temple.

This is correct and extremely spot on, Telthaug had to be appointed by someone, probably of great power given the importance of the temple he took over, and one or a council of indipendent minded Baneliches sounds about right.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  00:29:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, given that Bane is willing to have a half-orc, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a half-dragon or a half-fiend as a priest in his service (or even a fiendish half-dragon or half-dragon tielfling.... for I can easily see an alu-fiend or tiefling and a dragon pairing just as much as I can see a dragon and a human pairing... and Unther is known for their tiefling population). So, if we accept that, then Kabbarrath Telthaug could be centuries old.

Throw into this factor that I can't see a temple of Bane existing in Threskel while Gilgeam ruled. I also kind of don't see one during the reign of Tchazzar as ruler of Chessenta in human form, unless it were Bane that helped raise Tchazzar to godhood initially. Ironically, in the original Draconomicon, it says that there's a "Banespear" which is separated into parts that can kill Gilgeam, and its known to Maldraedior, the Millenium dragon beneath Dalath in Unther. It kind of makes me think maybe Tchazzar had this weapon, and this is why Gilgeam was afraid to face him (possibly this weapon is another artifact of Bane's like the Black Lord's Cloak). Maybe after Tchazzar's death is when the spear was separated into pieces (perhaps Gilgeam's worshippers even took one portion and worshippers of Bane have the other).

Anyway, IF Kabbarath Telthaug is say a half-dragon, he could be old enough that perhaps he FOUNDED the temple of the Black Lord's Cloak (noting not all half-dragons have lizard heads... some just have reptilian eyes, exaggerated teeth, bits of scaley skin. He might even be a half-dragon dracolich/banelich with the Black Lord's Cloak serving as his phylactery. Maybe he's slowly gained political power over time, and only in the mid 1300's did the Black Lord's Cloak grow as big as it did. I do like the idea as well that maybe he got the Black Lord's Cloak off of Algashon following the fight with Tuelhalva Drakewings, and having this artifact may have helped him form the temple... maybe even with some of the Cult of the Dragon members who came down to destroy Peleveran supporting him.

From 3e FRCG
Regions: Tieflings are most common in Mulhorand because the Mulhorandi deities sometimes beget offspring with mortals. They are also found in Unther and Thay, lands with long, dark traditions
of infernal dealings.

From the original draconomicon
The Banespear: Maldraedior knows of a spear, separated into shaft and head and hidden apart, which can slay the vile tyrant Gilgeam with a single strike into the side. Both parts are carefully hidden and protected by monsters and traps of great power and peril. This is suitable only for PCs of high level, and only if you can handle the turbulence caused by a successful assassination of Gilgeam.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  17:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course Bane doesn't step in, the Orthodox church already had a head at that point, from Ruins of Zhentil Keep we know that Szchulan Darkoon, 8th High Imperceptor rose to the seat in or shortly after 1224 DR (death of Brist, 7th High Imperceptor). It was probably a mistery to contemporary Banites while Fzoul was allowed his open defiance but we have the benefit of knowing that he was destined to great things (and the spiel about "strife is good" which I personally find distasteful but fits with the old Banite dogma) and Bane didn't care about "appointing" the head of the Transformed Church (or maybe he implicitly did allowing Fzoul's rise to power, but that's beside the point) because he already had a living head of his church. We will never know if Bane would have done something in a direct showdown because wisely both contendents avoided that and preferred the political maneuvering that you outlined.

My interpretation of these events is that it was no mystery to contemporary Banites. This kind of political maneuvering has always been a part of the Banite church, just as the office of High Imperceptor has been.

quote:

In which ways was it similar to the Avignon Papacy? The real world historical events were dictated by the influence of the dangerous situation in Rome and the high pressures from Philip IV of France, threatening a much greater schism. Fzoul decided of his own volition to disregard the authority of the High Imperceptor and actually split the church.

The situation in the Moonsea and the military tension, if not wars, between Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster, allowed Fzoul Chembryl to operate for almost century without the High Imperceptor being able to rein him in.

quote:

In which ways was it similar to the power struggles of the Borgia, Della Rovere, Orsini and Colonna families? All of these families were already powerful noble families with extensive holdings and connections to other noble families and royalty all over Europe, something that was automatic in the society at the time with the second male child of every catholic noble family sent into the ranks of the Roman Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church actually being it's own kingdom (with the added benefit of the Pope interfering with the affairs of foreign kingdoms on "moral grounds", albeit at his own peril). No kingdom in the Realms has such extensive connections between a single church and the nobility (even in the Old Empires it was the other way around with priests automatically being pushed up the social ladder, not nobility falling into the church as a backup because they would not inherit) and it isn't said anywhere that either Fzoul or Szchulan (... which have mighty similar names now that I wrote them one next to the other, at least in the way I think they should be pronounced ...) were of noble birth, not them nor any other High Imperceptor.

Fzoul Chembryl is from a noble family in Zhentil Keep. I've always assumed that Szchulan Darkoon was, as well, albeit probably from a Mulmastran family.

Note that in early Realms material, surnames were only possessed by those of gentle birth. Commoners had only one name, with possibly a nickname or appelation related to their profession or date of birth. So anyone listed with two actual names in 2e Realms material, like the Ruins of Zhentil Keep, is clearly of the upper classes.

Tomar of Bane and Brist of Bane, therefore, are not identifiably noble, but were probably raised within the faith, perhaps with parents in high positions within the hierarchy. Strife, as the ward of a High Imperceptor, raised as her heir, is obviously effectively aristocracy, in much the same way as the Pope's 'nephews and nieces' were accounted aristocracy in the historical Papal States. The rest of the High Imperceptors seem to be of noble families.

quote:

If the head of the organization can casually smite to death with his divinely granted powers the opposition than you have to be sure to be as powerful as them (without counting your own divine power, in case it gets taken from you since you are going against your godly appointed leader) before opposing them. The analogy would be with a Prime Minister with power of life and death over the members of Parliament from his own political party. Or in other words, a tyranny.

It's important to recognise that the theoretical power to execute anyone who displeases you doesn't really translate into the ability to rule through daily executions. If nothing else, it means that before long, nobody in your service knows where things are in the pantry, not to mention no one having the institutional memory to exert effective control outside the direct visual range of the tyrant.

From G. Julius Caesar on, the rulers of Rome were technically 'tyrants', in that they had the ability to have people executed, whether through the position of the Dictator, like Caesar, or the combination of proconsular powers and the tribunican powers, like future Emperors. Yet this did not free them from the necessity of political maneuvering, building consensus, maintaining the support of their underlings and worrying about public opinion.

To take a modern example, Putin certainly doesn't appear to shy away from murdering political opponents, but anyone who studies the political situation in Russia cannot help but notice how much work he has to do on placating various entrenched interests, building a consensus and catering to oligarchs and apparatchiks.

Broadly speaking, there is a wide range between active revolution against a tyrant and simply not doing enough to enable that tyrant to rule effectively and if a tyrant has no public support, no connections and no political base, he'll find that his authority is effectively limited to people within his direct line of sight, because no one tells him the truth about anything that is happening further away.

quote:

That's why Telthaug did his own thing unopposed, he was mighty powerful by himself and probably favored by Bane in the same way as Fzoul but he didn't push the issue with the High Imperceptor and minded his own business so there wasn't much open strife between Mourktar and Mulmaster (geographical distance helping the High Imperceptor in overlooking Telthaug exception).

Sure, geographical distance helped, but with the Transformed Church of Bane, the Orthodox Church of Bane, the Risen Cult of Bane, the True Church of Bane, the Old Church of Bane and so on, one does get the feeling that schism and strife was more the rule than the exception within Bane's church, even before the Time of Troubles.

Bane seems to have encouraged his servants to strive for position and not interfered in the political maneuverings that resulted. Dread Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug was not indulging in an atypical act when he claimed the self-bestowed title of 'Dread' Imperceptor, he was doing what most senior servants of Bane have done. Once a priest of Bane gets a whole temple listening to him, it's a pretty short path from there to him thinking that his path represents the true faith of Bane.

quote:

Which doesn't imply anything regarding royalty, nobility or being deeply invested in the political power of the region. Most of the High Imperceptors of the past are remembered because of the expansion of the Church in territories where the open worship is deeply disliked (if not persecuted) and the killing of their enemies. They are remembered not because they were attending banquets and balls and signing treaties with rulers but because they were creating plagues and killing Harpers.

The church of Bane has had a position in the power structure of Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster pretty comparable to the Catholic Church in the Papal States for a long time. We don't know how long it has had a similar position in Mourktar, but it has it now, at any rate, along with Mintarn and a growing number of other places.

quote:

Wrong. Bane did indeed only select the High Imperceptor, but before the ToT, after his Return it was only Fzoul, Chosen Tyrant of Bane (you can find it in Faiths & Avatars and Faiths and Pantheons).

quote:
Originally posted by The Ruins of Zhentil Keep

The High Imperceptor is selected from among all the Imperceptors at a special council called in Mulmaster when the previous High Imperceptor enters the afterlife or retires.

Edited by - Icelander on 09 Aug 2018 17:27:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  18:05:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call on the surname thing for commoners, it was common practice in medieval England as well I believe. I shall endeavour to stick to it in my realms stuff

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  20:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, given that Bane is willing to have a half-orc, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a half-dragon or a half-fiend as a priest in his service (or even a fiendish half-dragon or half-dragon tielfling.... for I can easily see an alu-fiend or tiefling and a dragon pairing just as much as I can see a dragon and a human pairing... and Unther is known for their tiefling population). So, if we accept that, then Kabbarrath Telthaug could be centuries old.

To be clear, I don't think Bane, personally, has any objections to the species or race of his worshippers. I simply think that achieving political power, whether within the faith of Bane or elsewhere, is a lot easier if you're born to privilege, connections, wealth and noble status.

The Forgotten Realms are not the modern Western world. There is no widespread belief in all men being born equal. Even in 'goodly' kingdoms such as Mulhorand or Cormyr, commoners have few rights compared to nobles. In pretty much any organisation in the Realms, noble blood and connections with the highest in the land are extremely important.

There are some heroes and villains in the Realms who cater to modern Western sensibilities, by being self-made and not scions of privilege. But for these to retain any kind of impact as characters, we must be careful to keep in mind that the 'normal' state of affairs is that the elite of old, established lands are mostly descended from those who have held power there before.

And Untheri culture is not accepting of non-humans of any kind. It's not even accepting of anyone who is not a Mulan of the purest blood and oldest families. From what I can tell, Chessentan culture is barely more egalitarian, with War Heroes cherished, granted, but most power still residing in the hands of old, established noble and royal families.

It's theoretically possible for a tiefling or someone with dragonic blood to rise to a position of political importance in the Old Empires. But they'd have to be able to conceal their heritage completely, have plenty of noble connections and influence, as well as possessing immaculate (if false) records of respectable bloodline.

Besides, I don't see any good dramatic reason to make Kabarrath Telthaug non-human. There are many factions in the area which are inter-related, but not identical; the Cult of the Dragon (comprising the Mourktar Cell as well as other cells) and the faith of Tiamat, the church of Bane (with its manifold divisions), the Zhentarim, etc.

If Kabarrath Telthaug were made dragonic, he'd be at a great risk of becoming simply an adjunct of Alasklerbanbastos, the Great Bone Wyrm, in a dramatic sense and in the sense of the factions represented. If, on the other hand, he represents the human, Mourktari worshippers of Bane, open to making use of the Cult of the Dragon, but not himself tied to it, then he is both more interesting and more useful in a dramatic sense.

As for making him of some fiendish bloodline, why would that be desirable? From a dramatic point of view, what would then distinguish the Mourktar church of Bane, dominated by a fiend-blooded master, from any Xvimlar cult?

quote:

Throw into this factor that I can't see a temple of Bane existing in Threskel while Gilgeam ruled. I also kind of don't see one during the reign of Tchazzar as ruler of Chessenta in human form, unless it were Bane that helped raise Tchazzar to godhood initially.

I would imagine that the history of Banite worship in any area generally features secret priests and places of worship long before the faith becomes powerful enough to exist in open.

quote:

Ironically, in the original Draconomicon, it says that there's a "Banespear" which is separated into parts that can kill Gilgeam, and its known to Maldraedior, the Millenium dragon beneath Dalath in Unther. It kind of makes me think maybe Tchazzar had this weapon, and this is why Gilgeam was afraid to face him (possibly this weapon is another artifact of Bane's like the Black Lord's Cloak). Maybe after Tchazzar's death is when the spear was separated into pieces (perhaps Gilgeam's worshippers even took one portion and worshippers of Bane have the other).

I'm in favour of the Banespear having been known to Tchazzar, but in the history, we need to account for the fact that Tchazzar didn't actually die when he faked his death, so he would have had no reason to lose a precious artifact at that time.

On the other hand, since Tchazzar was himself a powerful creature who would have had little reason to fear most mortals and their weapons, and who was more powerful with his claws and jaws than wielding any kind of weapon, I can see why he'd want to hide away the powerful Banespear, as opposed to using it himself in his human form (and open up the possibility that when he took dragonic shape, someone could seize it and slay him).

So Tchazzar could have hidden it himself, separated into shaft and blade.

quote:

Anyway, IF Kabbarath Telthaug is say a half-dragon, he could be old enough that perhaps he FOUNDED the temple of the Black Lord's Cloak (noting not all half-dragons have lizard heads... some just have reptilian eyes, exaggerated teeth, bits of scaley skin. He might even be a half-dragon dracolich/banelich with the Black Lord's Cloak serving as his phylactery.

I do not like this idea.

For one thing, note that all the 35 Baneliches gave up their direct power in the church of Bane when they became undead. Baneliches are meant to protect, support and advise the living servants of Bane, not rule them. The fact that the Baneliches themselves had some trouble understanding this is why Bane stopped creating them.

For another, if Kabarrath Telthaug has been one of the senior servants of Bane since time immemorial, it becomes pretty hard to justify why he'd never made any attempt to impose his authority over the church in Sembia, the Western Heartlands and the Moonsea. It's a lot more plausible that he's simply focused his efforts on the eastern Inner Sea if he's had one human lifetime, instead of many centuries.

quote:

Maybe he's slowly gained political power over time, and only in the mid 1300's did the Black Lord's Cloak grow as big as it did.

I agree that the Black Lord's Cloak must have grown enormously in power and numbers after the time of the tournament to succeed King Theris, if only because that adventure was written without any mention of Bane or a temple to him in Mourktar and seems to have been written before the decision was made to place it there (or at least by an author who had no idea that it was there).

So, I'd place the official founding of the actual army of the Banite temple after 1357 DR, if only because I don't see any city-state with an army of 500 men and militia of 2,000 men allowing a temple not under the direct authority of the ruler to maintain an army of thousands.

quote:

I do like the idea as well that maybe he got the Black Lord's Cloak off of Algashon following the fight with Tuelhalva Drakewings, and having this artifact may have helped him form the temple... maybe even with some of the Cult of the Dragon members who came down to destroy Peleveran supporting him.

What's wrong with some predecessor having done so?

Making every villain ancient, non-human and utterly unconnected to the society and culture around him just makes the Realms feel like an MMORPG setting.

Edited by - Icelander on 09 Aug 2018 20:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  21:35:25  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My interpretation of these events is that it was no mystery to contemporary Banites. This kind of political maneuvering has always been a part of the Banite church, just as the office of High Imperceptor has been.

Apologies, I was not clear, mistery in the sense that they couldn't explain such a brazen and open rebellion, not that they didn't know about it.

quote:

The situation in the Moonsea and the military tension, if not wars, between Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster, allowed Fzoul Chembryl to operate for almost century without the High Imperceptor being able to rein him in.

And this has no similarity with the Avignon Papacy, which was a change of seat of power prompted by two external factors (the dangerous situation with the noble families in Rome and Italy, too dangerous for the Pope to live in and the threats of Philip the IV of separating the catholic church of France from the catholic church of Rome) that spawned timid reactions and much political maneuvering (with the Italian nobility trying to reclaim prominence through short-lived "AntiPopes"). Except for one, the Popes that reigned during the Avignon Papacy recognized the situation as temporary and actively worked to restore order in Rome and the Italian peninsula to get back to their ancient seat of power. In the Realms, Fzoul decided to split his branch, did it and then had no intention of uniting back again with the Orthodox Church, trying instead to win even more supporters to his cause. The High Imperceptor couldn't reign him in because Fzoul was too deeply entrenched to be easily dealt with, the Popes didn't return to Rome because Philip the IV would have carried on with his threats and the political scene in the Italian peninsula was too hot. As soon (relatively speaking, it took about 70 years) as France was busy fighting the Hundred Years War and the situation in Rome was not as bad as before, the Pope returned to it's own seat. The shorter (about half the time) period of strife referred to as the "Western Schism" was caused by the fact that the same cardinals that elected the Pope of Rome disliked him so much that they then elected a new one that established himself in the vacant seat at Avignon. Fzoul decided by himself, openly defied and challenged the authority of the High Imperceptor and went on his own business without all the secular influences that went on in the strife during the Western Schism (please don't try to equate Zhentil Keep to all the monarchies of Europe choosing their favourite Pope each one for its own political reasons).

quote:

Fzoul Chembryl is from a noble family in Zhentil Keep. I've always assumed that Szchulan Darkoon was, as well, albeit probably from a Mulmastran family.

Note that in early Realms material, surnames were only possessed by those of gentle birth. Commoners had only one name, with possibly a nickname or appelation related to their profession or date of birth. So anyone listed with two actual names in 2e Realms material, like the Ruins of Zhentil Keep, is clearly of the upper classes.

Tomar of Bane and Brist of Bane, therefore, are not identifiably noble, but were probably raised within the faith, perhaps with parents in high positions within the hierarchy. Strife, as the ward of a High Imperceptor, raised as her heir, is obviously effectively aristocracy, in much the same way as the Pope's 'nephews and nieces' were accounted aristocracy in the historical Papal States. The rest of the High Imperceptors seem to be of noble families.

I couldn't find any explicit mention of Fzoul's noble lineage, he was always cited as a member of the church of Bane and his accession to Lordship was through his raising in the ranks of the church and through his allegiance to Manshoon.

Your assumptions about surnames in the Realms is incorrect and disproved by the Volo's Guide ... series of 2nd Ed by the Realms creator. I could start a long list of people that are not nobles and have surnames but you can look them up for your own in the "Folk of ..." sections of any Volo's Guide ... at your disposal, to name a few: the farmer Ambratha Suren, the mage Argol Marammas and the druid Draguth Endroun in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, Battle-Chaplain Gordon Stakaria and Gulmarin Reldacap, priests in Volo's Guide to the Dales, Tchandrae Euinwood the gifted girl of Volo's Guide to the North, ...

quote:

It's important to recognise that the theoretical power to execute anyone who displeases you doesn't really translate into the ability to rule through daily executions. If nothing else, it means that before long, nobody in your service knows where things are in the pantry, not to mention no one having the institutional memory to exert effective control outside the direct visual range of the tyrant.

From G. Julius Caesar on, the rulers of Rome were technically 'tyrants', in that they had the ability to have people executed, whether through the position of the Dictator, like Caesar, or the combination of proconsular powers and the tribunican powers, like future Emperors. Yet this did not free them from the necessity of political maneuvering, building consensus, maintaining the support of their underlings and worrying about public opinion.

To take a modern example, Putin certainly doesn't appear to shy away from murdering political opponents, but anyone who studies the political situation in Russia cannot help but notice how much work he has to do on placating various entrenched interests, building a consensus and catering to oligarchs and apparatchiks.

Broadly speaking, there is a wide range between active revolution against a tyrant and simply not doing enough to enable that tyrant to rule effectively and if a tyrant has no public support, no connections and no political base, he'll find that his authority is effectively limited to people within his direct line of sight, because no one tells him the truth about anything that is happening further away.

Sometimes you got a real knack at underplaying the possibilities of someone divining your betrayal with a thought, killing you by snapping his fingers and sending the images of your body exploding to all other riotous underlings without any possibility of reprisal. That or you think everyone in the church of Bane wants to be a martyr and a freedom fighter. Putin doesn't even come close. It's useless to argue this point further since it seems our views of what powerful (both politically and magically) individuals can do are completely different.

quote:

Sure, geographical distance helped, but with the Transformed Church of Bane, the Orthodox Church of Bane, the Risen Cult of Bane, the True Church of Bane, the Old Church of Bane and so on, one does get the feeling that schism and strife was more the rule than the exception within Bane's church, even before the Time of Troubles.

Bane seems to have encouraged his servants to strive for position and not interfered in the political maneuverings that resulted.

The Orthodox one was the High Imperceptor and "official" one, the Transformed one was Fzoul's and the only one that I know actually contested and opposed actively the work of the High Imperceptor and claimed him a fraud, the True one was Telthaug's one and beside asserting it's indipendence I'm not aware of any claim on the Moonsea or other far regions of Faerun, they just wanted to be their own masters, the others are more obscure (maybe one was the name of the Banites during the Cyric/Xvim times, I don't know).

Anyway, as I already said, before the Time of Troubles Bane was apparently chained by his portfolio of Strife meaning that he actually enjoyed when powerful (not just all random nobodies) Banites vied for the top positions. Despite my personal disliking of this trait, it is canon that he allowed and nurtured strong opposition inside his own church. Luckily for me Bane 2.0 after his Return settled things straight and actually made his church behave like the true united fist of Tyranny that I like.

quote:

Dread Imperceptor Kabarrath Telthaug was not indulging in an atypical act when he claimed the self-bestowed title of 'Dread' Imperceptor, he was doing what most senior servants of Bane have done. Once a priest of Bane gets a whole temple listening to him, it's a pretty short path from there to him thinking that his path represents the true faith of Bane.

All fine, except that the temple needs to be big and the followers fervent, otherwise every back country priest of Bane leading a shrine and 3 thugs would be his own church of Bane and we know this is not happening.
We already agreed that at some point during his rise to power Telthaug was authorized by someone to reach the top ranking position.

quote:

The church of Bane has had a position in the power structure of Zhentil Keep and Mulmaster pretty comparable to the Catholic Church in the Papal States for a long time. We don't know how long it has had a similar position in Mourktar, but it has it now, at any rate, along with Mintarn and a growing number of other places.

The power structure of Mulmaster makes no mention in the canon Realms sources that I could find (Forgotten Realms Adventures, The Moonsea, Misteries of the Moonsea, the 1E and 3E Campaign Settings) to any direct influence on the ruling of the city by the Banites before the alliance between the High Blade and Fzoul after the Return of Bane. In Mourktar the influence of the church of Bane on the city's politics is proven only after the death of King Theris in 1358 DR, Mintarn was conquered by the Banites in 1362 DR.
At the time of Fzoul's schism (1263) Zhentil Keep alone is not a good analog to the Papal States, not to mention the political influence that the Roman Catholic Church had over the rest of Europe (extending well beyond the Papal States), something that the Church of Bane would trade anything for in an heartbeat.

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ruins of Zhentil Keep

The High Imperceptor is selected from among all the Imperceptors at a special council called in Mulmaster when the previous High Imperceptor enters the afterlife or retires.

Sigh ...

From Faiths & Avatars, (page 38, top of right column): The High Imperceptor was in theory the supreme living servant of Bane (numerous former High Imperceptors survive as Baneliches) and was formerly directly recognized as such by Bane

From Faiths & Pantheons, (page 15 bottom of the right column and continued on page 16 top of the left column):
Before the Time of Troubles, Bane's church was riven by internecine strife, divided into the Orthodox sect (commanded primarily by clerics) and the Transformed church (dominated by wizards). Bane himself encouraged this struggle, appreciating the value of dissension even when applied to his own servants. His long dormancy seems to have cleared his mind on the matter, however, as he has acted personally to eradicate this divisions, even going so far as to name Fzoul Chembryl, the ruler of Zhentil Keep, as his personal Chosen Tyrant and infallible mortal representative. The formerly fractious Banites have made common cause in vicious pogroms against those clerics who turned to Cyric after Bane's "death" and who have not returned to the fold; their increased cooperation can only lead to foul tidings for the rest of Faerun.

To me both these passages and the one in Ruins of Zhentil Keep can live together: the Imperceptors around Faerun did indeed congregate in Mulmaster and Bane selected his chosen among them during prayers, rituals and whatever we want to imagin high ranking priests of Bane do when they get together, this occasionally led to someone feeling slighted and setting up his own schism once back in his home turf. After the death of Bane anything goes, after the Return of Bane Fzoul is the undisputed boss.

But if you really want to turn this into a battle of which canon is better that without a single hesitation I would go for Faiths and Avatars above and beyond the other two sources simply because it was penned by Eric L. Boyd.
But there is no need to go this far and seeing as how Julia Martin, the other lead author of Faiths and Avatars, edited Ruins of Zhentil Keep, I prefer to see both works as true and concile them in the easy way I presented (or any other easy way of keeping both sources valid you or anyone else might devise).

Edited by - Demzer on 09 Aug 2018 21:38:02
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  21:37:24  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good call on the surname thing for commoners

Except that it is wrong (see my mention of the Volo's Guide ... series in my latest reply to Icelander), but you can run however you want in your own Realms.

Edited by - Demzer on 09 Aug 2018 21:41:00
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  21:42:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no ruling that people that have last names in the realms are of the upper classes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  21:46:13  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fear this whole "Telthaug is not human" thing may have been sparked by my whacky ideas for his champion. While I can readily see an half-orc, duergar, half-troll or whatever as the battle leader and strong-arm of the Banites of Mourktar I have to agree with Icelander that nothing that we know of Threskel or Mourktar suggest that Telthaug was anything other than human (maybe half-orc or half-elf, but that would be stretching it).

I definitely don't see him as having any draconic heritage due to how his 1370s dealings with Alasklerbanbastos and its servant dragons make no mention of his affinity to them or any difference between his treatment and that of the other human rulers.

Edited by - Demzer on 09 Aug 2018 21:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  22:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Old Grey Box

General guidelines on naming
are as follows.
Common Humanity. The greater bulk
of humanity takes a single name, such
as "Doust" or "Mourngrym", with a secondary
name added if there is confusion,
either from profession ("Doust the
Fighter"), location ("Doust of Shadowdale
"), or lineage (the latter in particular
if some legendary figure was in the
family line, such as "Doust, Grandson of
Miniber the Sage").
[...]
Human Nobles and Gentry. These
individuals tend to retain the "family
name", a name usually derived from the
individual who established the family's
fame, position, or prowess. Such names
are retained even after the nobility has
fallen from grace or power.

Surnames are certainly possessed by many individuals in the Realms currently not in a position of power or influence, but using a surname is generally a claim to gentility.

Also, farmers who own their own land, i.e. yeomen, are very close to gentility already. Common folk are those who work the land of others.

Edited by - Icelander on 09 Aug 2018 22:20:38
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  22:30:57  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see any conflict between canon in Faiths and Avatars and other sources. Nowhere does it state that Bane names the High Imperceptor, merely that Bane recognises him.

Combined with the text in the Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Faiths and Pantheons, that implies to me that Bane recognises as his supreme servant the one who can convince the rest of the church that he is the rightful High Imperceptor. Hence, the oligarchs of the church pick a High Imperceptor and Bane recognises that individual.

Note that the Code of the Harpers p. 33-34 explicitly mentions senior priests locked in fierce rivalries choosing a weak man as High Imperceptor, in order to serve as a figurehead (from context, this is Szchulan Darkoon). To me, that suggests that Bane was usually perfectly content to allow his priests to run his church and simply recognise whomever they picked as High Imperceptor, and did not make a practice of interfering in order to ensure that the strongest, most powerful or most deserving was chosen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000