Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  00:11:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, good stuff. I was interested to see what use they made of Eric's material.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  01:37:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

I'd love to see maps you did if possible!
Since parts of that map are still (IMO) property of Eric Boyd (and those who helped him with lore), and the Daggerford Anew product may yet be released in some other form (perhaps as a 5e regional guide), I am not at liberty to share those maps with anyone... unfortunately. Probably some of my best work. Like I said, it looks like Mike Shley made them all the better, which is great, and until I am able to purchase a copy myself, I have no way of knowing what was included and what was left-off. Until I know more, and the rest of it becomes 'public' somehow, it is what it is. Like I said, a couple of locales made it onto my map of the North (I couldn't help myself), but thats about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

I will check when i get home what key it use but IIRC it use numbering. I'm pretty quite sure the maps are based on the one contained in N5 Under Illfarn, which had both a regional map and a city map, the regional one had less notable sites on it though.
My interest in the numbering system stems from my having to create a fairly simply ID system for every single building, using a letter to denote district and a corresponding number (because you try putting three-digit numbers on buildings that small, and still have the whole thing look attractive!)

So my system was a letter followed by a number, rather then just numbers (which I felt streamlined things for a DM trying to find the right info). All you need do is look at the first letter and you know what part of the map to look at.

We had toyed with using the original numbering system, but the two different versions (1e/2e) used different numbering, and even moved the buildings around, so we decided to start fresh.

I still can't figure out why the largest boat-building business was located inside the gates, instead of alongside the river. Then again, the city is know to flood regularly, so perhaps they just waited for the next flood.

Anyhow, thats a great region to explore and adventure in - lots of things to do around there. You even have gnome, dwarven, and elven ruins all in the area (and hags, and dragons, and Castle Dragonspar, and several 'lost kingdoms', the High moor, Larloch directly to the south, etc, etc). Hell, you have Waterdeep just to the north, and the 'eastern reaches' of the Duchy of Daggerford includes the western border of fallen Athalantar, where Elminster was born.

Adventure Awaits.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2013 01:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  19:50:14  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghost of Dragonspear is now available in PDF at www.dndclassics.com

http://www.dndclassics.com/product/123270/Ghosts-of-Dragonspear-Castle-%28D%26D-Next%29

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  13:53:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a bit much for a pdf - I remember buying physical books for $12!

How many pages is it? I thought it was a simple adventure, but if it has more 'meat' then that, then I can justify that cost.

{sigh} Guess curiosity will make me take the plunge.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2013 13:55:04
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  14:21:39  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its over 200 pages with a portion being D&D Next rules and the other being 4 adventures and a small section on Daggerford & Area.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  02:32:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay - I hadn't realized it has so much; then that price is more then fair.

Go to Top of Page

The Wizard Wildcard
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  15:26:19  Show Profile Send The Wizard Wildcard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi old gamer, new member - first post(be kind please).

I was very fortunate to get a copy of The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. Thanks to a very cool friend/player and E-bay.

So in our campaign, I am DM. I've worked hard over the years to keep the same "alive" feel to the Forgotten Realms as some of you have too. So saying this looking at The Sundering, i.e. D&D Next introduction chronology. In our game we converted/started it in Nightal 1479, and then later proceeded to start the module The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle on Midsummer 1480. Looking at the chronology of the last novel The Herald, by literary great Ed Greenwood in The Sundering series, which at least in part takes place in 1487 - Year of the Rune Lords Triumphant.

So riddle me this oh Sages. Does this jive, with Realms Cannon? When does The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, officially take place?

Happy Gaming Everyone!

Edited by - The Wizard Wildcard on 01 Jun 2014 15:31:08
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  15:03:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what's actually in the module, but there has been nothing really cannon about dragonspear castle in FOREVER. Unless they were trying to make it not fit, sliding it into 3rd/4th or 5th E should be no problem.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  21:28:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I'm working on Under Illefarn Anew again. It's 99% done. I'll have the writing done in 1-2 weeks. Hoping for one more map from a certain mapper. Then I'll give it to a few folks to look over. Then I'll figure out a way to get it out there.

Current page count: 301
Current word count: 229k

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  21:54:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woah! Nice Eric. Looking forward to it.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  23:20:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Writing complete. Yeah!

Needs one more simple map, if only I can figure out Campaign Cartographer again. Sigh.

Anyhow, getting so close to done I can taste it.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  02:25:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Writing complete. Yeah!

Needs one more simple map, if only I can figure out Campaign Cartographer again. Sigh.

--Eric

Eric spoke too soon. I sent him some more stuff this morning.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:09:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but it was brilliant and explains the presence of hags throughout the North!

In all seriousness, the writing is done, although George and I may putter with the Realmslore a bit more. I just have to finish the last bloody map!

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Writing complete. Yeah!

--Eric

Eric spoke too soon. I sent him some more stuff this morning.

-- George Krashos

--
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  22:22:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maps are off.

And no Krash, I haven't forgotten about Impiltur. The newer work I have been doing has actually made me dissatisfied (AGAIN) with my past work, soooooo....

I had a wacky/busy/disastrous sort of summer, and I am only now recovering, and I am starting to take care of projects promised, but it will be slow going. One of the things that happened was a computer crash, which made me go out and buy a new one (which I really couldn't afford), and then I realized I still had to repair the old one or else loose everything I've done up until this point (which is what happened when my house burned down). So now I've gotten the old one running well again, and I have a new one, so I can at least back-up my work from now on.

Anyhow, the 5th edition rules are pretty good, and I am looking forward to another edition of having fun with FR.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Sep 2014 22:24:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  23:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maps are off.

And no Krash, I haven't forgotten about Impiltur. The newer work I have been doing has actually made me dissatisfied (AGAIN) with my past work, soooooo....

I had a wacky/busy/disastrous sort of summer, and I am only now recovering, and I am starting to take care of projects promised, but it will be slow going. One of the things that happened was a computer crash, which made me go out and buy a new one (which I really couldn't afford), and then I realized I still had to repair the old one or else loose everything I've done up until this point (which is what happened when my house burned down). So now I've gotten the old one running well again, and I have a new one, so I can at least back-up my work from now on.

Anyhow, the 5th edition rules are pretty good, and I am looking forward to another edition of having fun with FR.

You couldn't just swap the hard drive, or slap it into an enclosure?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  23:28:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maps are off.

You couldn't just swap the hard drive, or slap it into an enclosure?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  05:33:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably, but it was a little more then that.

I have several programs heavily customized, GIMP being the major one of those. Part of what I do is create tons of textures, symbol sets, gradients, etc. When i lost PS the last time, I lost EVERYTHING - not just the files, but the tools I created to do maps.

My plan was to simply put the files in the new machine, but then I decided I really wanted to just get the old one running again, because I hate having to re-teach windows how I work (all my saved passwords, favorite sites, etc, etc).

Anyhow, thanks to Erik Boyd and the new 5e rules, I am really getting into FR lore again, which is always a good thing. Its like running into an old friend you haven't seen in awhile.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2014 16:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  15:02:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on a map that will combine the Neverwinter and Phandelver ones, along with older sites/lore (like the Mere of Dead Men series from Dungeon Magazine). I've come up with a newer way of presenting the maps, that I think will be more useful (to playing the game - my old ones were better for 'FR aficionados').

I should have that up in a few days, if anyone is interested. This isn't one of my usual 'wait forever' promises - I am using it for my home game.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  15:22:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think everyone is always interested in the maps Markus. You post a link and i will download it and file it away forever, lovingly pouring over every detail like some mad, obsessed hermit (which i am).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page