Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  19:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20130524

Color me curious. A classic FR site, a new edition. I hope the art of that massive fortress is supposed to be Dragonspear though.

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  21:52:10  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
brave adventurers must protect the town of Daggerford against an insidious foreign threat

Foreign?
In Daggerford?

What do you make of it?

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  22:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea, but I have to correct my initial post - I do not hope that the fortress on the cover is supposed to be Dragonspear Castle.
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  22:30:43  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I agree that they don't look like
quote:
the crumbling ruins of the legendary Dragonspear Castle

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  22:47:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sucks that it's going to be a GenCon exclusive... I want to go, so badly!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  00:40:59  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting stuff!

I hope that sometimes after Gen Con, Ghost of Dragonspear Castle will be available for sales in either paperback or PDF format. A level 1-10 mini campaign and an overview of Daggerford is a product i would buy in a snap.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  00:44:48  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here an article on Forbes www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/05/...

And a FAQ about the adventure http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2259

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 25 May 2013 00:45:19
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  06:01:14  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in four adventures pc's go from 1st to 10th level? Yeah, I'll be sticking with 2ed.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  07:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those adventures could take a long time, though (not saying it's true).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  07:32:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the artwork for the cover. It's majestic, the flag is awesome, the castle looks cool and the characters(?) in the foreground are detailed and keep my attention.

This is the kind of artwork I want to see for the Realms.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  07:47:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting.

At first I had Daggerford confused with Daggerdale...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  08:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I really like the artwork for the cover. It's majestic, the flag is awesome, the castle looks cool and the characters(?) in the foreground are detailed and keep my attention.

This is the kind of artwork I want to see for the Realms.

I agree that the art is really good, epic even-but I do wonder what that superstructure is supposed to be!
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  09:37:47  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I'm pretty confident that the castle in the art is the ghost of dragonspear castle.
I like the fact that they should be Tordek & co.

I am rather worried about the flying cross-shaped white object that seems to hover above the castle.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  09:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sundering = the second coming :p
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  10:00:51  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, wait. It looks as if the artwork of the heroes is only one half of the painting - on the Daily D&D main page you can see the superstructure in the background with a dragon in the front AND a tower top looking more like what Dragonspear could have.
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Daily.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  10:58:33  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good catch.
So now we know what Tordek's jumping at.
And if the tower in the foreground is part of the ruins of Dragonspear Castle (I guess part of its roof is also the black object in foreground above the word "DRAGONSPEAR" in the cover), the grey castle in the background can still be its ghostly counterpart.

Edited by - Ze on 25 May 2013 10:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  19:09:02  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what's with the symbol on the flag? Is it related to Dragonspear?

Also, it looks like some of the characters have symbols or markings on their armor or clothes. Could this be the first example of Schindehette's 2012 Gen Con commentary about showing all the details of the Realms?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2013 :  17:01:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph.

If THAT is what I think it is, I already have it. At least, a VERY early draft, or something that was based-upon. I was expecting this last year, but they probably had to polish it to make it canon (and find a way better cartographer then I).

If it is what I think it - or at least a precursor to the product I saw - then this is FILLED with all sorts of awesome (and very much 'old school').

The only problem is that the original (once again, if it is what I think it is) was written to take place in the 2e era, but using 3e rules. If they've moved the timeline forward, then it will be a very different product then it was originally (but if the history parts stay intact, still worth it for all FR fans).

If the flag is anything, it is flag of the Duchy of Daggerford, which is a LOT more extensive then we ever knew (and includes many other lords and holdings - GREAT STUFF). It may also be a flag of one of Daggerford's baronies (and thats probably more then I should have said).

As for the 'foreigners' - well... this will be a precursor of 5e. I imagine all sorts 'ghosts of the past', as well as 'recent arrivals' (folks from Laerakond) will be finding the Swordcoast and interesting adventure locale. I am only guessing here - even it is related to an unreleased product I was privy too, it would still be set in a completely different time-period.

Matt, Brian, or Erik... snag a copy for me. I'd like to see where they went with it. Then again, it looks like (as of right now) there is a very slim chance of me making it there myself. Maybe this time I'll have time to talk to Ed for more then a few seconds (although I doubt it - the guy's time is more precious then gold).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2013 17:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2013 :  14:16:02  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of feel this is crap what they are doing...

This could really be a highly anticipated adventure and the only way for many people to get it is by travelling thousands of miles, well for me hundreds.

This looks like a great adventure but I feel cheated. Look if I could go to Gencon I would I do not need an adventure as motivation. I am not opposed to gencon exclusives except for something of this magnitude. Why not just make a hardcover or special artwork for the adventure for those that attend? WHY make the entire adventure exclusive? Now my group of players doesn't have a chance to "change the realms?" Because their players are not at GENCON?

I am tempted to just buy a copy and complain to GALE FORCE 9 that I planned to attend but could not...

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  14:53:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thinking (based soley on the conjecture that this is based upon something I saw in its very early stages) is that this adventure is a lead-in to the far larger sourcebook (the product I saw was something like 300 pages, IIRC... and growing...)

What that means is that this is an adventure, designed to to be a precursor of the real product, which will be filled with so much awesome I am already drooling over it (and here I may just be 'wishful thinking', because I REALLY don't know anything - just taking shots in the dark).

Thats what I would do - so long as the adventure has tons of 'spoilers' (more like hints) to the lore that will be forthcoming, it will have fans lining-up at the door to get the sourcebook when it comes out. They just better not drop the ball with the adventure itself - we need pure win from this point on, not mediocre crap. This is a great way to gauge the fanbase, and also generate lots of 'positive buzz'.

I am actually already aching to see a new Mike Shley map of the region...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  16:47:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what Markustay is alluding to, but I'm not sure how translatable that is to a post-Spellplague 5E Realms. Sure the lore and history can be used, but not much of the game stuff, and there would have to be a significant lore-gap filled in also. I'm unhappy that I can't get my hands on this adventure but I'm guessing that something will be made available to the general public in due course.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  13:11:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I see it George, the adventure itself can be post-plague (canonically), and yet, still be able to be used in any era (at least, from about 1370 0n). The title could simply be a more poetic way of saying "Return to Dragonspear" - something that has been done with other modules in the past.

So it could be connected to a theoretical sourcebook for the region - one designed with the 5e 'usable in any era' design aims. From what we've both seen (of that unpublished gem), a LOT of that could be used in any era, since a good deal of it is history. For the adventure part, you could simply change the names to suit the era your in (or leave them be - home campaigns don't have to adhere to canon). Anyhow, my point is, just because an adventure is set in a specific period (and we don't even know that), doesn't mean a follow-up product could be set in a different period (or no particular period at all... still waiting to see how they manage that one).

And if it is connected, a wee tiny bit of Dragonspear castle lore that I created may see print. Not much... just a suggestion... but it would be awesomely cool (its just something I noticed geographically, to tie it to other local lore).

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2013 13:15:48
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  15:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/ghosts1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  02:01:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I didn't know that Talona was the goddess of rot and corruption. Learn something new every day.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  04:35:52  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny that this comes out only after I scoured every possible source for Dragonspear cannon, then spent months on my own tell-all adventure about it. I don't know whether I hope it's awesome or it sucks.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  11:46:44  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle Excerpts: Adv 2 The Cursed Crypts of Ambergul

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/ghosts2

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  13:20:54  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle Excerpts: Adv 3 The Fall of Illefarn

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/ghosts3

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  15:16:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its sounding more and more like its tied to that (yet) un-released source.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  15:44:10  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorram I wish I could afford to go to Gen Con....

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  01:17:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its sounding more and more like its tied to that (yet) un-released source.

Yep, considering I came up with the Ironaxe clan name.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  05:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of these days you'll be PAID for your efforts George. Here's to hoping that day comes soon.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000