Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Must Read post sp books?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  17:11:38  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what would you say is the must read books of spell plague era ?

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  18:48:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers. (Though technically, the events happened before, during, and after the Spellplague.) I can’t praise it high enough. I maintain this is Richard’s best to date.

The Brotherhood of the Griffon series by RLB. The first three are set in several realms in the east who are essentially at war (Chessenta, High Imaskar, Threskel, etc.) and have a plot that’s not entirely related to the two books that follow, which focus more on Rashemen and the Eminence of Aurant.

I’d have said The Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy by Bruce Cordell, but I only read the first book, Plague of Spells. I liked it, but probably not that much that I didn’t feel compelled to read the rest immediately. Though I will, eventually.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  18:54:16  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dang I have done all of those already.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  19:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to learn about Mystra's return then Ed's Elminster books are a must. If you are following Drizzt then Bob's Neverwinter books are a must too. Personally I don't think there are any MUST post sp novels.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  20:01:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Blades of the Moonsea trilogy by Richard Baker. They are: Swordmage, Corsair, and Avenger. They detail a bit of the politics going in/around the Moonsea region as well. I also liked the Neverwinter series by R.A. Salvatore. They are: Gauntlgrym, [i]Neverwinter, [i]Charon's Claw, plus one additional one that comes out this year.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  20:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Erik Scott de Bie's Shadowbane novels (Downshadw, Shadowbane, and Shadowbane: Eye of Justice) as well as Erin M. Evans Brimstone Angels novels (Brimstone Angels and Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils).

The following series are tied directly into the Sundering event:
R.A. Salvatore Neverwinter Saga (Gauntlgrym, Neverwinter, Charon's Claw, and The Last Threshold) (I haven't read these yet)
Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale series (Shadow's Witness, Twilight Falling, Dawn of Night, Midnight's Mask, Shadowbred, Shadowstorm, and Shadowrealm) (all pre-Spellplague)
Erin M. Evans Brimstone Angels novels (Brimstone Angels and Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils)
Ed Greenwood's Sage of Shadowdale series (Elminster Must Die, Bury Elminster Deep, and Elminster Enraged) (I also haven't read these yet)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000