Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Lore and Politics of the Sundering (FR 5E)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  18:48:57  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:

Hmmmmm.. what if 'Abeir' is actually the reason why the Realms are 'Forgotten'? What if when the world was Sundered, that's when Toril became 'out of sync' with Earth (and perhaps many other worlds).

If that was the case, we wouldn't have so many mages of power who have made their way to Earth, in various Dragon magazine articles. Off the top of my head, Elminster, Khelben, Laeral, Qilue, the Simbul, and Shaan the Serpent Queen have all been to Earth.
Yes, Mages of great power go wherever they want, all the time, and not just Torillian Mages. I wasn't talking about using magic.

I was talking about the 'naturally occurring' connections between Toril and Earth - 'the ways' that have been Forgotten. Paths that can be wandered-through by ordinary people, sometimes without even an inkling they have left their own world behind. There are still some around (Ed has mentioned this is the reason why there are so many 'Earth' animals on Toril, and where some of our Crytids come from), but they are small and extremely hard to find. The ones that were once better known are the ones that are no longer active.

At least one of the articles specifically mentioned Elminster using an existing gate, not his own magic.

quote:

In one of Elminster's visits to Ed, he noted that some local (Earth) girls had the potential to become skilled wielders of the Art, and the following exchange indicated that there is a group intent in keeping magic use on Earth limited -- it is not illogical to assume that this group may be responsible for making sure knowledge of the ways to the Realms were lost.

Ah, and here we arrive squarely in my campaign wheelhouse! Lol.

I too would love to see something done with the Earth-Realms connections and the 5E Realms (I was sort of hoping it might make it into 'Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms' as it is an aspect of Ed's home game). As we've all heard many times, this aspect of the Realms was downplayed in the 80's and 90's owing to the 'Satanic Panic' and TSR's concerns about the mainstream marketability of the game.

However, we clearly exist in a different age now. Recent statements from WoTC are a clear indication that they are keenly interested in opening up the game to a more diverse (in gender, racial, and sexual orientation terms) set of gamers. The old school concerns about a conservative backlash against the game are clearly no longer standing in the way of integrating 'real world' elements into Toril (and, by extension, vice versa).

As I've been up to this sort of thing for some time, my campaigns by necessity deal with the nitty gritty rules on issues such as: common methods of cross-world travel (gates versus spells versus something else), what sorts of magic can be used here on Earth (and why they all can't be), why there are such frequent visits (or were during a certain time frame, if you notice such visits haven't happened since the Spellplague...) here from powerful Torillian wizard folk, the migration of various Earth races/beings/gods to Toril, and the doings/destiny of people from our world in visiting Toril (which serves as the heart of my campaign).

Being a lawful sort, I strive to stick to cannon (such as it is) as often as possible when dealing with the answers to such questions, and like Markustay with his game, I have developed a complex cosmology to explain and govern it all. As you might imagine, it has become fairly detailed.

I'll give you one simple example... When they sought refuge in the Realms the 'old gods' of Earth made a compact never to meddle in the affairs of people from their former world, either by extending their influence back to Earth OR by interacting overmuch with Earthers traveling to the Realms. As a consequence, one of my players, who had become a Ranger after arriving in the Realms, sought to worship Mielikki (who has a history in the Finnish mythos) to obtain spells and was somewhat surprised to discover such a connection wasn't allowed.

Anyway, I'm hoping WoTC gets over their past reluctance to embrace the long standing Earth-Realms connections Ed built into the world of his creation and take a page from the Pathfinder playbook before Paizo figures this out and once again eats their lunch. After all, an upcoming volume of the Pathfinder Adventure path not only deals with connections to Earth, it embraces them wholesale!

"Rasputin Must Die!: The search for the Queen of Witches finally ends when the Dancing Hut travels to Baba Yaga’s homeland of Russia on the planet Earth. The year is 1918, and the First World War rages throughout Europe. The heroes find themselves in the wilds of Siberia, where they must face Russian soldiers armed with 20th-century technology to infiltrate an ancient monastery and rescue Baba Yaga from her estranged son, Grigori Rasputin. Can the heroes kill the “Mad Monk,” who has already cheated death once before, and free Baba Yaga, or will they too fall before the horrors of modern war?"

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  14:01:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah,I'm noting that the island called the "ship of the gods" is gone from the 4e maps (it was also gone from 3E though). Now, granted, it did explode at one point and cause massive tidal waves in 1369 DR (hmmmm, planar brushing... we believe it also had something to do with Iakhovas and the 12th Seros war... hmmm, Iakhovas as a primordial, put that thought aside for another time). Could this have been their method of coming into Toril (or perhaps the method of one of the Mulan Pantheons), and perhaps this explosion was also the first transfer preceding the spellplague?
I like that idea - that Iakhovas was on Abier before he appeared on Toril. There is a lot that can be done with that. 'The Ship of the Gods' could be a deity-level trans-planer transportation device; an artifact capable of punching-through normally closed barriers (which is precisely what it did when it brought those pantheons to Toril). That would make it one of the very few things that could allow travel between Abeir and Toril.

quote:

I don't know what happened to Semphar in 4E, but since the Teyla Shan / Godswatch Mountains are where the "official" place that the Mulan deities came across.... maybe that section went over? Is it documented anywhere?
From what I understand, both Semphar and Murghôm are still there, and are now dragon-ruled lands (which is why I found Larakond unnecessary and redundant - why travel across an ocean when I have all of that flavor just east of the UE?)

I had started doing a mock-up map of an idea I had: To have Semphar become a Shou vassal so that K-T had an active port that lead directly to the SoFS (because I actually don't like the portal in The Dragonmere - I find such "its magic!" explanations tiring at this point). Suppose a very large population of Dragonborn appeared in Semphar, and their was civil unrest? Obstensibly it was still a Tuigan vassal during 3e, but all the did was pay the Tuigan off. If they had real troubles, the Tuigan probably would have abandoned their cash-cow, leaving room for Shou Lung to step in and restore order. Then they never left. The Semphar (Persian) flavor could remain, but the 'elite' would be the Shou governors, and their would be very large Shou neighborhoods in all the towns now. You can see by that link that I had envisioned a canal connecting the east with the west (and getting rid of the Quoya, which is highly redundant).

Heres the thing - we never really did lose Mulhorand; Murghôm has basically the same flavor, and was a vassal-state of Mulhorand (more like a province). Now, I really hate the return on the Imaskari, perhaps more so then the return of the Netherese (seriously - they get rid of Halruaa and bring back Imaskar... just what was the POINT of all that?), but if they insist on keeping them around in 5e, we can have our (nasty) cake and eat it too - Murghôm becomes new Mulhorand (although, to tell you the truth, I think it would actually work better if the Mulhorandi returned to Mulhorand - less confusing that way - and 'chased' the Imaskari into Murghôm). Thus Mulhorand goes back to being an Egypt knock-off, and Murghôm becomes more of the Stygia-like country we need (which Thay was once, but that place has gotten very messy, flavor-wise).

I found Unther boring after Gilgeam died, so I can live without it. I liked the idea of a country ruled by a 'God King', but the whole 'Gilgeam' thing was WAY too derivative. Perhaps a new, more FRish God King could fix things there. As for the Genasi, stick them down in Calimshan - or Zakhara - where they belong. I still can't understand the 4e mindset that to use something, you had to stick it 'right next door'. That may be true of regions, but not of races. In fact, they would have seemed far more exotic if they came from 'a far-off land'. If 5e is going to be known for 'the Sundering', 4e should be remembered for 'the cluttering'.

I'm not against this idea, however, I more like the one where Tam is booted from Thay and a coalition of "returned" powers rebuilds Thay. Then, have the people of Mulhorand and Unther return (as a united group), and these people of Murghom see Mulhorand as the return of the natural enemies of Tiamat. Perhaps some want Mulhorand to come save them. Perhaps others want to start a war. Meanwhile, the people of Mulhorand are an entirely new generation, unused to this new world... trying to figure out what's going on... Maybe Murghom becomes a fight between the forces of Set (yuan-ti, Sarrukh, nagas, and other beasts) and Tiamat, to even more give it that Stygian feel.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  15:57:15  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally think that using the Dred rings against Tan to bind him would be the way to go. I mean given what I read in Unholy, and the Neverwinter saga, he seems to be connected in some way to the things. Not so much that someone else couldn't have done the ritual, but enough that he can easily utilize their powers for miner things. By miner, I mean something lesser than he full fledged ritual. Given that the things seem interconnected, all the "heros" would have to do is gain power over one to minipulate the entire network.

This way, Tan's out of the picture temporarly, but can easily come back in some sort of climactic show down later, when the stacks, at least for him, are much, much higher.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  20:38:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have Tam trying to break out of his agreement with Bane by changing the governance of Thay back to the Red Wizards some how.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  07:16:51  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am going to drag this up , but I have a theory that helm is not going to be restored through some weird storyline or such, but basically look at the gods and say. You know what, during the time of troubles I only could trust one person, and the rest of you are idiots, look at what you have done. I am going to bring back helm, and make him protector of *blah blah blah* and fix all ths crap you did again.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  12:26:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that Ao is the one going to fix the Realms with its almighty notepad is bad enough in my eyes (it's like ''Magic did it''), what you say about Helm would suck even harder, IMO ofc.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  13:38:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is one thing 4e has taught me (I should probably stick this in THAT thread), its that it is NOT the lore itself - its the presentation.

You can sell me (and us) on just about anything, if you spin it the right way. In other words, the designers need to put away their 4e sledgehammers and write some quality stuff that ties the new lore to the old. Its what FR was always about, and what 4e lost.

So, for me anyway, the success of 5e is not so much about the facts themselves, as it it is about the story behind them. I can get on-board with anything they do, so long as its explained logically, makes sense, and it improves FR as a whole. How many of us on this site have participated in threads where someone (a fan) has come up with a better explanation for a 4e change? An explanation that made us see the 'new lore' in a different light, and dare-I-say, even take to it? So many things I hated about 4e I have gradually come to like, just because someone (here) has given me interesting ways to use it (and tie it better to the old lore).

They need to learn, its not about the destination, its about the journey. What 4e did was give us a non-stop flight to the destination; how the hell were we supposed to enjoy THAT? If they had just taken the time to tell us what we 'saw along the way', it all may have gone down differently.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  14:15:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TBH, my opinion is that the actual content and the way it is presented have equal influence in determing the enjoyability of what I read.

They say that their intention is to give more ''importance'' to mortals when it comes to shape the Realms, yet the bulk of the ''fixing'' is coming from a god -and not even a ''normal'' one, but the equivalent of what some people call God IRL, who snaps its finger to repair all the wrong stuff-.

IMO, people should be the ones who find ways to rebirth the Realms, gods should have more flavourful and fitting stories for their return (like it happened with Mystra, and is going (?) to happen with Helm) rather thank ''Ao wrote my name on some notepad'' and so on...

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Jul 2013 14:22:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  16:54:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

TBH, my opinion is that the actual content and the way it is presented have equal influence in determing the enjoyability of what I read.

They say that their intention is to give more ''importance'' to mortals when it comes to shape the Realms, yet the bulk of the ''fixing'' is coming from a god -and not even a ''normal'' one, but the equivalent of what some people call God IRL, who snaps its finger to repair all the wrong stuff-.

IMO, people should be the ones who find ways to rebirth the Realms, gods should have more flavourful and fitting stories for their return (like it happened with Mystra, and is going (?) to happen with Helm) rather thank ''Ao wrote my name on some notepad'' and so on...

How could mortals possibly fix what was done by -- and to! -- the gods?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  18:15:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've found that Super Glue and duct tape do wonders!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  19:28:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mortals can fix what was done to the gods: the followers of a disappeared god could keep working for what (s)he stood and breath life in what's left of him/her, or put in action some backplan their deity prepared, or rebuild churches or something along these lines. I'm just annoyed by the fact that the gods will be back 'cause Ao said so, and not because of a compelling and fitting story.

As for mortals fixing what the gods did, well it depends on what the Sundering is going to change. Surely the Abeir stuff couldn't be handled by people (even tho, tbh, I'd be kinda fine with Abeir staying or moved to leave space to what it swept away) but they can totally rebuild (for example I rember reading about a Lantan-Atlantis idea, which would be extremely better than ''Magic put it back'').

Furthermore, the idea of allowing enormous quantity of damage and death happen in a whole world just to teach the gods a lesson --which is the reason why Ao just kept standing and watching this mess and only recently decided to take some action-- sounds like something anyone with a brain would stay away from, IMO.
Also it could give the impression that a ''superior entity'' is needed to keep Toril ''healthy'', like if without it the world would crumble because its people or deities need guidance in order to be able to handle themselves (or make choices with good results), which is something that I personally dislike.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Jul 2013 19:31:26
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  20:47:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to submit a secondary idea.

5e is bringing back spelljamer, dragonlance, planescape , you know all that.

What if it is not our realm sphere that is messing things up, but some outside force from another sphere, that messes up timelines or whatever, that becomes a whose who of past books and storylines, which leaves you with one thing, if these other things come back , what comes back with that, that can affect the faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  21:07:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn the Council of Cross-Time Kangs! Damn them all to Hell!

I knew we shouldn't have let Manshoon hangout with those guys.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  22:23:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

I've found that Super Glue and duct tape do wonders!

The realms doesn't have those things... nor do they have air bubble plastic packing... what will they do <shudder>!

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  23:03:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The realms doesn't have those things... nor do they have air bubble plastic packing... what will they do <shudder>!

Drow wands of viscous goo + strips of parchment! I'm sure a gnome could work something out!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  23:22:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Drow wands of viscous goo + strips of parchment! I'm sure a gnome could work something out!

I liked those wands. Did they survive past 2E?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  00:02:09  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what properties did they have, and I can answer you.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  02:15:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I liked those wands. Did they survive past 2E?

Gamewise, I wouldn't know.

But Jarlaxle still uses his in RAS's books. He stuck an Ashmadai body double of Dahlia to the wall of the Cutlass inn in Gauntlgrym.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  14:15:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a viscid glob spell in the 3rd edition FR Underdark supplement. It was 4th lvl. So, yes, there could be wands of viscid glob in 3rd edition.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  14:46:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first, after catching-up with this thread, I was wondering how we got so far off-topic.

NOW, I am wondering how someone managed to misinterpret bubble-wrap as fly-paper.

Go to Top of Page

Bionic Man
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  22:16:01  Show Profile Send Bionic Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So based on the info out there, am I correct in assuming that the primary change coming as a result of the Sundering is going to concern the gods? What exactly is causing this event?

Thanks.

It's a ::rolls dice:: pleasure to meet you!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  00:06:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao got tired of his little game of letting the gods to their own things (so that they could ''learn their lesson'') and of watching the World being repeatedly exploded. So he/she/it decided to fix the ''main'' disaster (Abeir colliding with Toril) and prevent the deities from causing more of it with their pointless drama (i.e. rewrite the Tablets of Fates, restoring many (?) gods and giving each of them a defined role/place/duty in order to stop their meddling).

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  02:19:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At first, after catching-up with this thread, I was wondering how we got so far off-topic.

NOW, I am wondering how someone managed to misinterpret bubble-wrap as fly-paper.

Go back and read the previous two posts to that one. I was talking about super glue and duct tape as a humorous way to "fix" the Realms 4E's problems.

Sleyvas said that sadly the Realms has neither those things nor the marvelous modern contraption of bubble wrap. Oh noes!!!

To which I suggested how the first two items, at least, might be duplicated with Realms materials.

I wasn't confusing my items (super glue & duct tape) or your suggestion (fly paper) with Sleyvas's (bubble wrap). I was only responding to the first part of Sleyvas's comment.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  06:42:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it does..

they call is sovereign glue , a stasis spell, and wish spell.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  14:19:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

So based on the info out there, am I correct in assuming that the primary change coming as a result of the Sundering is going to concern the gods? What exactly is causing this event?
To my understanding (of last years Gencon talks and other things that have been implied since) that the 'changes to the gods' are really a type of 'soft reset' mechanism (rather then a full-blown, ST-type reset), and other things WILL change as well (like the return of certain cultures, lands, and even individuals), but all of that will be a direct result of the 'shakeup in the heavens' (which is The Sundering, which is the re-organization of FR's deities into something closer to what it used to be).

So YES, The Sundering itself is something happening to 'the gods', but it then cascades downhill and affects everything else.

quote:

Go back and read the previous two posts to that one... <snip>
LOL - you really needn't have explained all that.

I was reading and having on of those, "what the heck are we even talking about now?" moments (that happens so often on the Internet).

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jul 2013 14:51:34
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  14:47:04  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really hope they find some way to bring back the Halruuans, Crinti and Luiren. WotC absolutely demolished the Shining South in 4E. I don't see why they had to leave it a big gaping hole in Faerun. It's an idea that's very easy for DMs to come up with and decide, but it's not as easy for a DM to come up with country concepts that are unique, distinct and have a rich history.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  14:53:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love it if they did what I did - move all of that north, around The Inner Sea - much more useful to me that way.

However, I understand that the 'traditionalists' among us would probably hate that, and want them right back the way the were (nearly useless, because they are so far away).

But I do agree that what was done to them in 4e was completely unintuitive and counter-productive. Why remove stuff just for the sake of doing it? It improved NOTHING.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jul 2013 14:54:01
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  02:05:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would love it if they did what I did - move all of that north, around The Inner Sea - much more useful to me that way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't mind them moving things around a bit but how would they reasonably explain such moves? The last thing I want is arbitrary changes to the Realms AGAIN. And honestly, this needs to be the last RSE evereverever.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  08:38:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, I understand that the 'traditionalists' among us would probably hate that, and want them right back the way the were (nearly useless, because they are so far away).

But I do agree that what was done to them in 4e was completely unintuitive and counter-productive. Why remove stuff just for the sake of doing it? It improved NOTHING.

I'd like to see the Halruaan refugees come down from the clouds and form a new little country in 5E. An island nation would be a good option, that way their skyship dynamic could remain intact. They would simply have a new home base on terra firm.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  10:24:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this island nation idea; also the process of rebuilding Halruaa offers good plot hooks for campaigns and novels.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000