Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Paper Armor for Kara-Tur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  02:07:19  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Paper Armor, courtesy of the Mythbusters
A New Armor Choice for Kara-Tur
By Joebing
In the ninth season of the Discovery Channel’s popular series Mythbusters, the build team tackled the myth of paper armor and that it was just as good as metal armor. They discovered it was first used during the Tang Dynasty (around 600 B.C.) and used until the 18th century A.D. After researching methods of how it was made, they built a suit and put it to the test against what appears to be a piece of lamellar armor. It worked as well as metal against all forms of attacks except bludgeoning. Even ballistics against antique firearms, such as flintlock pistols, the paper armor stopped with the same efficiency. With bludgeoning weapons, it only did slightly worse than metal. The only major drawback was that it became tattered after use, meaning it would need constant repairs. They also ran a series of tests involving speed, stamina, and agility. In the speed test, it faired slightly better, while being almost twice as good in stamina and agility.
Paper armor is similar to leather scale mail, only stronger and lighter. The stats below should be an accurate representation of how paper armor works.
Armor Type Cost AC Max Dex Check Penalty 30’ Mv Rate 20’ Mv Rate Spell Fail Wt
Paper Light 150 GP +5 +6 0% 30’ 20’ 10% 15#

Paper armor is made from Mulberry paper, folded into 28 layers thick. Holes are drilled through, then cord is used to bind and overlap the individual scales. It looks bulky, but weighs half as much as standard scale mail and gives better agility due to the weight and slight give of the paper.
Item Cost Weight
Mulberry Paper, sheet 1 gp 10/lb

When attacked with a bludgeoning weapon, the attacker gains a +1 bonus to their attack roll due to the lack of a solid hard surface that is struck by the armor. This +1 bonus will apply, even if the paper armor has an enchantment of +1 or greater. Lacquering the armor in any manner (other than wax, see below) will make it more brittle to all forms of attack, with a 50% chance it will shatter after a few blows, though lacquering a folded component can create an improvised shuriken, inflicting similar damage as a shuriken at half the weight.
Weapon Type/Size Cost Damage Crit Range Weight Damage Type
Paper Shuriken Exotic, Tiny 1gp 1 x2 10’ 20/lb Piercing

Paper armor must be well-maintained. After a battle that involved a hit on the wearer, the armor must be checked, and worn pieces must be replaced. Paper armor can absorb about 160 points of damage before becoming severely frayed, cutting the AC in half until the armor is repaired. Moisture, like rain and snow, on the paper armor, can cut this number down to 120 points of damage.
Attacks from fire and acid deal double damage to paper armor, frost damage weakens it as above. Paper armor can be made water resistant and frost resistant by using beeswax; doing so uses 5 lbs of wax, adding 50 gp to the cost of the armor, 5 lbs to the weight of the armor, and 2 days to make. Doing so will negate the double damage for 6 rounds, and frost damage will weaken the wax by making it brittle, but not the paper. This does not apply to the breath weapon of a dragon older than adult. On the Elemental Plane of Fire, the double damage is only negated for 4 rounds. Paper armor is so carefully constructed, it is always considered masterwork

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Edited by - Joebing on 23 May 2013 02:17:24

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  02:08:43  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my copy-paste on the tables did not work. Also, this is for the 3.5 ruleset, as it seems that is the preferred choice among DM's.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Edited by - Joebing on 23 May 2013 02:15:29
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  02:17:18  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if a druid could use this (in games where they can't use metal armor...)
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  02:21:47  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I wonder if a druid could use this (in games where they can't use metal armor...)

It would make sense that they could. Technically, paper comes from wood, so if a DM dictates a druid is more like a real-world druid, in where they do not harm trees, then no. But otherwise, I would rule yes. I already know the rogue in my party is interested, because of the high armor rating for light armor. I am certain the druid might as well, but the interesting part will be how they handle the upkeep. That is very important. In the Mythbusters episode, after several hacks with a scimitar, a spiked mace, and about 6-8 longbow shots, it became pretty frayed in one area. This armor costs a lot to upkeep in the long run.

Edited by - Joebing on 23 May 2013 02:26:30
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  03:45:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Druid and paper, they would not have to harm trees, fallen lumber and branches is good enough a base material to make paper out of.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  12:26:31  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

As far as Druid and paper, they would not have to harm trees, fallen lumber and branches is good enough a base material to make paper out of.

Good point there.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  13:25:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, nicely done. I may have a use for this (and even if I don't, its still pretty cool - I saw that episode). Second...
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Sorry, my copy-paste on the tables did not work. Also, this is for the 3.5 ruleset, as it seems that is the preferred choice among DM's.
Use the {code} and {/code} tags to keep text formatting, but use brackets instead of those braces.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  03:01:41  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

First, nicely done. I may have a use for this (and even if I don't, its still pretty cool - I saw that episode). Second...
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Use the {code} and {/code} tags to keep text formatting, but use brackets instead of those braces.

Thanks Markustay. BTW, where would one stick Frostsilver on your map of the North and Silver Marches? Running a campaign up in that region and using your WONDERFUL maps and the Fall of Frostsilver from WWGD 07.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000