Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A Dwarf Artificer in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ViniciusZoio
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send ViniciusZoio a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail mighty sages of Candlekeep!

This is my first post in your steemed library, and I would like to share some doubts and musings on a Forgotten Realms adventure I'm about to DM.

First, I think I should introduce myself, and before you continue, may I warn that I am know for somewhat lengthy posts :P. I hope this doesn't stop people from reading this

---

Though I have been playings D&D (and RPGs) for almost 15 years, I have only become closer to the Realms much recently. My first contact with it was through the Neverwinter Nights games by BioWare, but back then, my english was worse than it is today - everything was new and I didn't yet grasp the size and scope of the Realms.

When 4th edition came (and I migrated), I took part in the RPGA adventures and so, became more familiar with the 4e Realms. Many of my players enjoyed the setting then, but since I'm usually interested in the history of the things I like, not only did I start to delve in 4th edition Realmslore, I also began reading the previous lore of the setting.

I'm very interested in the history of Dungeons & Dragons and I'm very attracted to many of its settings. I tend to read a bit here and there about many of them, enough to know some reasonably well and to understand their "gist".

The Forgotten Realms have an interesting story behind their creation (evolving from Ed's home game to a full blown setting), and ultimately, it was Ed's articles in the "Eye on the Realms" columns in Dragon magazine that slowly steered my interest towards his setting.

Although my campaigns have always been set in "homebrew settings", I'm always interested in DMing "mini-campaigns" and short adventures in published settings. I'm about to DM one such a game, and that's why I need to help of the sages of Candlekeep! ^^

---

The adventure

In this FR "mini-campaign", I'll have the honor of introducing new players to the hobby. Most have played videogames and some trifle sessions of RPGs here and there, and are eager to start the campaign. Only one of them could actually be considered a "long time RPG player" - my own sister, in this case.

After conferring with the group, we have decided to play 4e Dungeons &Dragons around the 1372 DR, the "present time" in 3rd edition Realms. They'll be entering the famous dungeon of the Mad Mage - Undermountain.

Since they're coming from a bad experience with another DM (and this was set out to be a short adventure), I decided I wouldn't interfere with their character choices and would allow the full breadth of 4e to be open for them.

I ended up with these characters:

-Elf Avenger
-Pixie Hexblade
-Goliath Barbarian
-Dragonborn Paladin
-Dwarf Artificer

I then made sure to talk with my players and come up with good backgrounds for these characters that wouldn't hurt the setting.

-The elf avenger will come from the High Forest. Although his class is named "avenger", a devote elf of Corellon garbed in religious clothing and wielding both divine magic and a weapon will certainly be viewed "in game" as cleric of his church.

-The pixie hexblade will also come from the High Forest, since, if I understood correctly, this forest holds a significant population of such fey folk.

-The goliath will be a former Uthgardt barbarian of the Elk Tribe. I think his race of "giant men" wouldn't be too "off putting" in the barbarian tribes of the Spine of the World (please, do correct me if I'm wrong...)

-I'll be using the dragonborn lore of when they were first presented in 3rd edition - an individual who makes a ritual to become a champion of Bahamut. In this case, I think the Sisterhood of Essembra, in Battledale, would make for an appropriate home for the dragonborn characters, as Dragons of Farūn state that the sisters help such individuals who have undergone the Bahamut ritual.

-That leaves with my final PC, the dwarf artificer played by my sister. And she is the one I'm finding difficult to mesh into the setting...

---

About the Dwarf Artificer

The artificer is a class first presented to us in the Eberron Campaign Setting. It could be summarized as a "spellpunk mage", using "arcane magic" from a more "scientific point of view". In 4th edition, the class main capabilities are the creation of magic itens and constructs. Its powers usually give temporary boosts to itens or summon constructs to the caster. A brewer of potions and enchanter of magic itens.

My first thought was "easy one, I'll use 'Lantan'", but then, after reading more on the subject, I was not as convinced.

I was able to find little lore on Lantan - but it seems gnomes (and the worship of Gond) are a mainstream there. The "gnome artificer" prestige class in 3rd presents a decent "engineer" or "technophile" to use in a Realms campaign, but it was limited to gnomes or humans - and that would indicate that dwarves were not capable of pursuing this craft.

Further, in the short description of Lantan in the 3rd edition campaign setting, I've bumped into the following phrase:

"Folk hear tales of Lantan, 'where Gond is worshipped and magic shunned'".

So, from everything I read, Lantan's artificer are much more "mechanical" in their craft, and magic is not meshed into the process at all. The portrayal of "Lantan's artificer" and the "Eberron's artificer" are similar, yet significantly distinct that stating the dwarf was a "Lantan artificer" could feel forced into the setting.

So I began looking for alternatives and, having not find any that pleased me, turned to the librabrians in Candlekeep for answer :). Here's what I've managed so far.

-The character she has built has no "construct summoning" powers or rituals. So, her portayal "in game" is of a dwarf clad in leather armor, wielding a shield and hammer, who uses arcane magic to enchant magic itens, create potions and so forth. Overall, such a character could easily be viewed as a "mage" who focuses on creating and enchanting magic itens (perhaps with an odd choice of attire). However, the player seems more interested in keeping the "full flavor" of artificers, so, if possible, I would prefer to find a more "artificey" origin for her...

-It would appear that the imaskari in 4e would be the nation who would have such "eberron artificers" in their ranks. However, if I'm not mistaken, the remaining descendant of the imaskari live hidden deep underground during the 3e era, right? Worst, I think that maybe the "artificer lore" was stuck on the imaskari, and perhaps no such characteristc exists in the "deep imaskari" of 3e?

-In Neverwinter Nights 2, the player eventually encounters a great "guardian construct" of Illefarn. In that game, it was the actual catalyst for Illefarn's fall. Would there be "eberron's artificers" in Illefarn past? If so, the dwarf could have stumbled or studied lore on that ancient empire. Also, are the games "canon"? :P

-I was reading on the various dwarven citadels on the north and stumbled upon Sundabar and its "Everfire". 3rd edition campaign guide states (or estates? Or something else? How should this be spelled?) that this is "the source of some of the finest magic weapons in Faerūn" and maybe this could be an interesting home for a dwarf who enchants itens. Would they have artificers?

-If possible, I would also want to know what would the dwarven view on arcane magic. I know a "dwarf wizard" was not possible in 2e, but since they're possible in 3e, I would guess they eventually learned arcane magic. But how would the dwarven community view a dwarven artificer?

-If everything fails and the player seems too keen on keeping the "artificer lore", she may be an "odd case", and be one of the few individuals studying some new type of arcane magic. Lame, but at least it lets the players keeps the lore she wants - even if it may not fit greatly in the Realms.

So, to summarize my questions: What would be a good place in the Realms to serve as an origin for a "Eberron-loresque-type" dwarven artificer?

---

Bonus questions

Well, I might as well take the opportunity to post some unrelated doubts that have been bugging for some time. They're about two images :).

http://img1.mlstatic.com/vendas-parancini-box-forgotten-realms-campaign-set_MLB-O-2710236240_052012.jpg << This is the cover of the old Forgotten Realms Campaign Set. It has an awesome image of a "mongolesque rider" atop his horse. My guess is that this would be a member of the tuigan horde, but I would not be sure. Perhaps even Yamun Khahan, the leader of the tuigan horde defeated by King Azoun IV. Does anyone knows what it was supposed to represent? And if indeed this is Yamun Khahan, where can I read more about him and King Azoun IV of Cormyr?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SniTwfm5BwE/SwGd0pqR-NI/AAAAAAAAB0M/kCWnauEOhys/s1600/Forgotten Realms v4 campaign setting.jpg << This is the cover for 4th edition's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Who the hell is this girl? What is her mount? My guess would be a shade of the "returned Netheril" atop a wyvern, but does anyone know who is she supposed to be?

---

Well, thank you for your precious time, Candlekeepers. Hope you can help me! ^^

Are threatening me master jedi?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  17:17:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
artificers from the great rift would easily fit the realms. If the artificer had picked up say some books recovered from ancient Raumathar, that might cover any special construct interests (Raumathar was one of the kingdoms that fell out of Imaskar's fall, and they produced the Raumathari battlemages and they also had some interest in construct creation... in fact, there's hints that they also created living spells as seen in Eberron and some have hinted that they may have created warforged of sorts).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ViniciusZoio
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  04:07:38  Show Profile Send ViniciusZoio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was exactly what I needed, thank you Sleyvas! :D

Great Rift would be an excellent origin - I'll mix it up with Raumathar as well :). Perhaps her golden dwarf family is powerful because one of her acestors managed to get a hold of forgotten enchanting and creation magic in the ruins of that old kingdom? :)

What about the images - hazard any guesses? ^^

Thanks again! :D

Are threatening me master jedi?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000