Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Red Aegis RPG by Vorpal Games
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  23:37:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys,

I thought I would come here and let you all know what Brian and I have been up to. We've been toiling with several major ideas for the better part of multiple decades and have taken the plunge into seeing them to publication. Last year, we formed Vorpal Games LLC in hopes of realizing our dreams of making our kind of game. Later this summer, we plan to Kickstart the project and bring it to the masses. We are calling the game Red Aegis and it will provide us an outlet to let our continuity and world-building tendencies to soar. I can't give you too much information on the actual game just yet, but I wanted to let you know that some big names will be helping out. So far we have announced Realms authors Erik Scott de Bie and Ed Greenwood as contributors. There are more names, but I don't want to flood the gates just yet ;)

Anyways, Candlekeep has been a home for Brian and I over the years and I thought you all would be interested in hearing this kind of news.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  00:05:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt, I am just glad to hear you are doing well.
I wish you and Brian good luck on your new venture.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  00:12:22  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kentinal!
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  00:52:09  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hope that all goes well on your latest venture, anything that let's the crative juices going is good in my book. I'll definately keep my ears open for the future developments.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  03:26:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to both you and Brian for this new venture, Matt.

With such talent already declared at the helm of this project, I'm certain this will be one Kickstarter I'll definitely support.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  04:10:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I echo the wishes for good fortune, and the eagerness to see the fruit of your efforts. Continuity and worldbuilding are high priorities for me too, so I'm excited. Looking forward to seeing more.

A question... and if you can't answer yet I can just shush and endure the suspense. Are you planning a pen-and-paper RPG, a single-player game like NWN/Morrowind, an MMO, or all of the above? Plus novels I assume?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  17:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This first venture is a pen-and-paper RPG, but our aim is to include digital tools (such as a character builder) from the outset.

Also, as Candlekeep is a veritable wellspring of loremasters and paragons of creativity, it should be no surprise that Matt and I have designs to enlist several members of this community for our mad schemes.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  17:39:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweeeet!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  18:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds quite interesting. I am looking forward to hearing more.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  01:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck. Matt! With you and Brian as the masterminds and Ed and Erik on board, it's sure to be great.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  01:59:29  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard! It means a ton to us for you to say that. :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  13:36:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very, very nice.

I've had similar goals in-mind for the past couple of years (and have already been tentatively approached in this regard). However, I think my ultimate goal is quite a bit different from yours... or maybe not.

We should have a talk.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  17:11:15  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel blessed to have joined the team on Red Aegis. Looking forward to seeing/showing what's in store.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  18:23:21  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're very happy to have you onboard, Eytan!

Edited by - Matt James on 04 Jun 2013 18:23:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  04:45:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now Eytan?

This Vorpal Games initiative is very quickly becoming one of my most anticipated projects for 2013!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  14:57:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I am going to have to register my own company at some point.

Not that I intend to make money with it - just to protect my own material (although you can't really Copyright ideas - only the actual text). My concept is to create a fully-realized fantasy world for gamers that is 100% FREE (along with an eventual system that only uses D6's... which can be obtained from any boardgame).

You want to bring D&D to the masses, you got to give it away. Its the only chance we have for its survival.

Why would I waste so much time, money, and effort on this? Simply because I can... and in the long run, having an IP with an established fanbase WILL lead to profitable things (novels and toys). Think like a drug dealer - get them hooked, then reel 'em in.

And thats my sideways way of 'giving advice'. Also, pre-release an insanely great fantasy map about a year before, and then GIVE THAT AWAY (that was my plan that never saw fruition). You need people to see something and go, "I want to know more!" By 'give away', I mean maybe a thousand copies at Gencon... then have it available for free download at a website. Someone walking around Gencon with a drool-inducing map will create more 'Buzz' then any advertisement ever could. By the end of the con you'll have folks begging to be your (future) customers.

And never bad-mouth you competitors, or 'other editions'. That just pisses people off (although I shouldn't have to tell any of you guys that). If anything, strive for cross-compatibility.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jun 2013 15:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  21:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^^^
I know a cartographer you guys could use. He is ofttimes irascible and cantankerous, but he does quality work and can well hold up his side of a conversation.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  23:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've already contracted Mike Schley to illustrate the maps for Red Aegis, but that doesn't mean Markus is off the hook. I value Mark's insights as a world builder and we'll be in contact soon Mr. Taylor. :)

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  01:46:08  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian beat me to it, we have contracted Mike Schley to do our maps (and more). He is absolutely my favorite cartographer in existence! If you want to put us in contact with your guy, Hawkins, it never hurts to add quality artists to the roledex. If we get off rolling, we'll need to hire even more contributors.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  13:23:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I finished my own world maps, MY plan was to also contact Mike Shley to do the 'release versions'. I know my limitations - my maps are great for homebrew stuff, but Mike is a true artist (and if you want to sell a world, you need to knock their socks off). I made sure to introduce myself to Mr. Shley at Gencon... I used that opportunity to do some 'networking'.

Anyhow, you guys seem to be on a good course - the idea is to build anticipation (which is the opposite of 'dread', which is what a certain other company inadvertently created...) Being something 'new' is good - it works in your favor. No preconceptions, and no "feelings of entitlement". People will judge it on its own merits. I sometimes feel FR is already too weighed-down by its own grognardise.

As for your 'picks' - good choices. Both Ed and Erik were on my eventual contact list as well. Erik Boyd & Steven Schend are two other 'must haves'.

Have you got an idea for the setting yet? I had a hard time picking between two - the one I went with is more 'traditional' (large, monolithic Empire with lots of outlying 'wilderlands', and a southern region of older, 'decadent' kingdoms). The other, however, is an idea I got from a map request (not of me) over at the Cartographer's Guild for a PBeM game (IIRC), and it is INSANELY good (so good I almost scrapped everything I already had for my world and started over).

Give me a shout - if you like something a bit 'out of the box', then I have a world for you. Even if Mike Shley has already started on it, the conversion is crazy-easy (its such a simple idea, I have to wonder how no-one ever came up with it before).

Oh... and BTW... immensely flattered you guys even had me in mind for anything.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jun 2013 14:26:21
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  19:09:31  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, you can track a lot of what we're doing through either of the following sites. We just had a great meeting yesterday with Ed, ESDB, Eytan Bernstein, Erik Nowak, and Brian and I.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorpal-Games/525374257514744
http://www.loremaster.org
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  13:56:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik Nowak looks scarey.

No info other then who's onboard? No hints at all? Or are you guys waiting for Gencon?

Anyhow, eagerly anticipating with you guys come up with. Its always good to have a 'Plan B'.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jun 2013 13:57:17
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  22:38:47  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Erik Nowak looks scarey.

No info other then who's onboard? No hints at all? Or are you guys waiting for Gencon?

Anyhow, eagerly anticipating with you guys come up with. Its always good to have a 'Plan B'.

The Kickstarter is going to launch around early/mid July. There'll be some more information about the world and game within it, but we want to ensure we don't get ahead of ourselves. Luckily we have an amazing team that is already hardworking to ensure we reach all the right tones for what we want to do.

It's also a good sign when Ed Greenwood, one of our team-members, says that we're embarking on a design-space that hasn't really been explored extensively.

We also just did our announcement of Mike Schley. Head to the site or Facebook to see his "rough" draft map of the continent the game begins on. He is truly gifted!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  17:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, check Facebook for a message. I cannot send you a reply from Candlekeep as my mailbox is full.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  14:43:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL... can't teach you younglings nuthin'...

I have thousands of replies in my box... you just hit the user's name and write a new one (rather then hit 'respond').

Rules are made to be broken - thats MY motto.

Anyhow, checking Facebook now - I barely go on that anymore (its Ebilllllllllll!)

Message sent via Facemail.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jun 2013 14:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  14:59:02  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EN World spilled a few beans today about Red Aegis in their news feed. Get the first glimpse of how the game might work ;)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?970-Season-of-Sexism-2-The-Fake-Geek-Girl-plus-Origins-Award-Winners-and-Red-Aegis-designer-dream-team!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  17:44:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. You don't play a character, you play a dynasty.

Wonder if something like this could be ported into the Realms? Cormyr and its nobles, for example.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  18:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly Jeremy. One of the inspirations for RED AEGIS are the novels Evermeet and Cormyr where alternating chapters move the story forward centuries at a time. With a little rules tweaking you'd be able to play the Obarskyrs from the founding of Cormyr up through the present day and beyond.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:37:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dynastic angle is cool. Some players get attached to a PC to a degree that makes them risk aversive, which can be detrimental to an adventure game. But if the PC you're running in any particular session isn't going to be around next time anyway, that eliminates the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The idea of a campaign where hundreds of years can pass and we see the grand sweep of the history of the imaginary world is also potentially very cool.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:16:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zomg.

This sounds like it could be the perfect framework to run my Mulhorand campaign in. Want!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000