Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Crystal Shard Whereabout?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  07:22:59  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the latest/last known Crystal Shard Whereabout?

Yan
Playtester

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  07:36:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crenshinibon was destroyed by that red dragon, and the aftermath of it all can be seen in RA.s book the Ghost king, which basically the spellplauged F#@# up the shard, turned the dragon undead and a bunch of other things happened as spirits were trapped in it.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  14:41:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's basically a RAS-character reunion... but not a bad read at all. It ties up all the pre-4e plot hooks he had going (including the main one - Crenshinibon - which we all thought was already wrapped up). The ending was somewhat depressing, but it is about Drizzt so what else should we expect? No happy ending for everyone's favorite angsty Drow.

EDIT:
Thinking further on this, there is no reason why this plothook couldn't again be resurrected. The shard is, in fact, 'less destroyed' then it was the first time (it is 'contained', but thats all I can say without spoilers).

So it technically still exists in 4e, albeit in another form.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 May 2013 14:45:36
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

What is the latest/last known Crystal Shard Whereabout?

In 1385 DR, just as the Spellplague was hitting Faerūn, the Shard was fused with the carcass of the red dragon Hephaestus, and the mind of the illithid Yharaskrik (The Ghost King). In the end, the combined monstrosity, a dracolich suffering multiple personalities and known as the Ghost King, fled from the Material Plane in the vicinity of the ruins of the Spirit Soaring cathedral in the Snowflake Mountains near the town of Carradoon on the Impresk Lake, into the Shadowfell (TGK).

Its current whereabouts are unknown.

Jarlaxle hypothesized that the dracolich was bound to that particular planar rift, so if it were to return, it would have to do so in the vicinity of the cathedral ruins. But Jarlaxle was not so sure of his speculation (TGK).

Theoretically, nothing is stopping the Ghost King (complete with the now-even-more-demented Crystal Shard in its forehead) from returning to the Prime Material Plane through another portal or rift.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 15 May 2013 20:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  00:41:21  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  03:03:42  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
give me back my cadderly :(. Even if it is just ghost stories, I want him to do something rather then a sad ending
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  17:41:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally felt the ending of the Cleric Quintet was very poignant.

Then he had to go an ruin it by 'fixing' Cadderly.

He kinda nuked his own ending - the second time I read it wasn't nearly as good. When Heroes die being heroes, thats important - you should never take that away from them (Superman being a prime example - I briefly started reading comics again when he died).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  19:10:09  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what do you mean fixing it? I thought he was a ghost trapped in the old holy library
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  21:11:39  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

what do you mean fixing it? I thought he was a ghost trapped in the old holy library

He's talking about how RAS reversed Cadderlys's aging process in the novels that followed "TCQ": Passage to Dawn and Servant of the Shard. The personal sacrifice that Cadderly had made to erect the Spirit Soaring in honor of his god kinda fizzled when he got to have his cake and eat it, too.

I was angrier that Cadderly ever wanted to sacrifice himself, and that his god appeared to be willing to let him do it, for a time. What a waste that would've been.

I guess that TGK just goes to show that ol' Cadd' must be predisposed toward giving himself up for others, no matter the edition or cause.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 17 May 2013 21:14:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  21:39:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

He's talking about how RAS reversed Cadderlys's aging process in the novels that followed "TCQ": Passage to Dawn and Servant of the Shard. The personal sacrifice that Cadderly had made to erect the Spirit Soaring in honor of his god kinda fizzled when he got to have his cake and eat it, too.
DING DING DING... we have a winna!

Precisely. I hated that Cadderly died (or was going to die) at the end of the series. I hated it even more when he appeared in the Drizzt novels - it was a real WTF? moment. I do not like to have my emotions toyed with.

I guess - in retrospect - RAS realized his mistake and gave Cadderly the meaningful death he deserved. Too bad that by that point, I just didn't care anymore.

I also hate his kids (Cadderly's, not RAS's lol). Bunch of idiots, IMO. Guess even though they live on Toril, and have access to one of the greatest libraries on the planet, they still never heard of 'The Underdark'.

"Hey! Lets run away from the undead and travel deep into the bowels of the earth, where its safe!"

Oh, BROTHER.

Can anyone tell I really did not enjoy TGK? Had way more here, but like usual, it didn't do anything positive or contribute to the thread in any manner, so I'll just leave it at that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000