Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Netheril empire extension
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darth_Sentinel
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  19:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Darth_Sentinel's Homepage Send Darth_Sentinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all!

I'm running a 3E campaign with the Pathfinder ruleset at 1372DR centered on Cormyr, specifically really close to Arabel, northern Cormyr.

I want to add some Netheril ancient things like some scrolls, books and artefacts.

Trouble is, I'm reading the history from "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and I can't figure out if the Netheril empire went all the way south to the Sea of Fallen Stars or if it was located only on present Anauroch land.

Do you have any idea what was the extension from the Netheril empire, around the Silver or the Golden age, before Karsus, after Ioulaum?

Thanks!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  21:06:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the Netherese enclaves stayed in Netheril proper, but we know some went further afield -- two crashed in the Sea of Fallen Stars, and there is rumored to be one in Firedrake Bay, in Tethyr. With their ability to go just about anywhere, you can conceivably drop Netherese artifacts or ruins wherever convenient.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  23:17:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netherese artifacts could be scattered anywhere from here to Halruaa. I suppose there wouldn't be a large number of actual magical items, but now-dormant quasimagical items were as commonplace to the Netherese - and all the peoples they traded or interacted with - as equivalent techno gizmos would be to everybody in our modern society. Quasimagical items are similar to magical items proper in terms of physical construction; that is, they would always be the purest and most refined materials of the finest quality worked by master craftsmen ... such exquisite quality is usually a treasure in its own right and encourages the possibility of such items being preserved, collected, hoarded, and even perhaps reenchanted.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  20:36:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Netherese diaspora of it's fall spread the survivors (and what scrolls, books and artifacts they could carry) across Faerun, so as has been said, the items could be anywhere you want

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  22:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, using Markustay's Stonelands map (which includes northern Cormyr), I suggest the following, all along the Eastern Stormhornts:

North of Castle Kilgrave along the mountains or in the foothills surrounding them, within the Redwoods proper, or within the Helmlands.

There are soooo many options it's almost baffling. It depends on how far away you want to get, with the Redwoods/Castle Kilgrave within about 50 miles or so, while the destinations from there would be within about 30 or so. This allows you to stay near arabel proper, but still go out for adventuring.

Also, if I recall correctly (although I could be wrong). , that the Stormhorns is also home to at least one Aerie for Avariels (possible, but not cannon to my knowledge) and/or Aarakocra (certainly, per Races of Faerun), which could be quite fun to toy with, especially if part of the reason they are there is that they are either guarding or being guarded by said artifact.

Hope this helps.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  22:38:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - the southern portion of Netheril (a region I assume fell-out within the former Realm of Thaeravel, the land of Alabaster Towers) went as far as the Stonelands, which is also part of northern Cormyr, theoretically. That's where you'll find the overlap. The Stonelands should have various Netherese ruins (IIRC, at least one was mentioned in the Spellfire novels).

From a (not so) purely homebrew PoV, the village of Collinwood (originally Colin's Wood) has a small keep on a hilltop... a keep which has one corner tower made of alabaster. What nearly no-one knows is that the tower survived the destruction of Thaeravel, being on the frontier and well hidden within the depths of the Dragonwood - the forest that once covered ALL of Cormyr. The same family has held the keep since before the first Obarskyr sat his throne, and they are considered one of Cormyr's 'secret weapons'. The village itself made it into canon, the rest is still part of my original. Make of t what you will.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 May 2013 22:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  23:14:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, nobody likes the idea of (re)enchanting a dormant quasimagical item? A character basically gets a magical item which, in effect, becomes a more powerful magical item within the radius of an active mythallar. In practice this basically means items used by or against the Shadovar would become most potent when used near their cities.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:42:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would have any power at all outside of a Mythallar, unless it was some form of new, hybrid type of item.

Given that many Netherese Wizards (not the Archwizards) did business outside the cities, and often had to travel to remote locations means that they should have had some non-psuedomagical devices at their disposal. I would imagine a few hybrid items would have been developed, like a psuedo-magical device with a 'battery pack' (gemstone?) that could be tapped when outside the Mythallar.

I believe there are some stones mentioned in Dwarves Deep that would work perfectly (and that could be a Dwarven/Edwardian name for what we now know as Chardalyn, especially since the term 'Glowstone' now refers to something a little different).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 May 2013 15:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  18:19:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, a chardalyn just holds a single spell, and only until the gem is shattered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  20:04:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one thing I never really understood about the chardalyns. The Sarrukh and through the terraseer's influence the Netherese went nuts for Chardalyns. Wasting massive effort to recover caches of these stones which don't really seem to me that much better than a potion or a wand.

Maybe the stone required no gold or xp expenditure to imbue it with the spell, but that still doesn't warrant the entire army sent to Old Owl Well in order to recover a few magic rocks.

Does anyone know something about them that I missed?
Was there a master plan involving these stones that I haven't read about yet?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  20:28:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Natural chardalyn stones can absorb, store, and later discharge any spell directed at them. I think Netherese archwizards would be very interested in anything which could augment their spellcasting power ... or worse, anything which could counter it. Imagine how powerless Netheril would be vs their enemies (orc hordes, elven strike teams, dwarven trade unions) if each enemy carried a number of chardalyns on his person. Imagine the advantage Netheril would gain against foes like the phaerimm if they could negate spells used against them and subsequently study or deploy them at their leisure.

And what Netherese archwizard wouldn't be interested in multiplying his spell array or mass-producing charged magical receptacles for his armies?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  01:32:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Tempest Valley in northern Cormyr would make a good area for some Netherese ruins. Any one know the story behind the naming of that valley by the way? I'm guessing storm giants, but I'm rather fancying something with Talos myself.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  01:50:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a look at Dungeon #88 and the adventure "The Door from Everywhere".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  11:37:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

That's one thing I never really understood about the chardalyns. The Sarrukh and through the terraseer's influence the Netherese went nuts for Chardalyns. Wasting massive effort to recover caches of these stones which don't really seem to me that much better than a potion or a wand.

Maybe the stone required no gold or xp expenditure to imbue it with the spell, but that still doesn't warrant the entire army sent to Old Owl Well in order to recover a few magic rocks.

Does anyone know something about them that I missed?
Was there a master plan involving these stones that I haven't read about yet?

You look at the cost of 9th level spell scrolls (lets say averaging at 4000 gp)? Now make it use activated and you're talking 8000 gp. Then factor in that the Netherese had access to spells above 9th lvl, and factor in that you can create these items without the scribe scroll feat. Also factor in that they have a good chance of absorbing an incoming spell cast at the holder and they make a good defensive item in Netheril. Even non-mages may like them for that.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  14:28:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And also don't forget the number one reason mages often go after 'lesser' mages - to keep stuff out of tother people's hands. The Chardalyn may not have been all that great to the all-powerful Netherese, but it would have allowed others to use the stuff against them (the spell-absorbing properties especially).

And then we have the fact that the archwizards all had their own agendas. It could have just been one or several Enclaves that sent troops out for these things, and the rest could have not cared a wit. When dealing with the Netherese, we have the tendency to read something as 'all of them', and in the case of the Netherese the opposite is usually the case. The Archwizards each created their OWN flying cities because they couldn't stand listening to the others.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I recall, a chardalyn just holds a single spell, and only until the gem is shattered.
Well, my idea was to combine the old Ed-lore with the chardalyn stuff, so we didn't have two different gemstones with very similar attributes. The other problem is that the name itself - Glowstone - was commandeered for a fairly common magical item with different properties.

On the other hand, IIRC, the Dwarven Glowstones were not natural - they were manufactured somehow. They may have been a type of 'artificial Chardalyn' (improved?) that the dwarves developed using their own Rune Magic.

I guess all of this is fixable, with a little added lore. The Dwarven Glowstones could have been the 'Cubic Zirconia' version of Chardalyn, and the modern glowstones could be a slimmed-down (reduce in function) version of the dwarven ones. I think the dwarven ones could also explode, which means they were unstable, which gives us a good reason why they may have changed them (and made them less powerful in 3e). I could be misremembering that last bit, getting it confused with something else.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 May 2013 14:36:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000