Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How much do slaves cost?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  06:56:31  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
They seem like good business in the realms. Like in Calimshan? And special slaves, how much do they cost? Harem slaves or eunuch slaves or slave soldiers definately cost more than typical work slaves. I am especially interested in slave soldiers. Brainwashed and totally loyal. Janissaries, Mamluks, Morocco's Black Guard & A Song of Ice and Fire's Unsullied. I think humanoids are of better use alive than dead. Better to keep them alive and make them useful than to just outright killing them. Is there a sourcebook or a novel covering their price? I see a lot of slavery but no prices.

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  12:37:06  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinders Adventurers Armory went that far... They listed the prices as follows (and they are as good as any):

Slave, common 75 gp
Slave, hard labor 100 gp
Slave, household 50 gp
Slave, slip (halfling) 100 gp
Slave, specialized 500 gp

Slave Common: A slave judged to have no really distinguishable positive characteristics or is being sold for simple tasks (the equivalent of a modern cash register job). Essentially a slave being sold because someone has need of a warm body for a task but the task itself doesn't require much in the way of training.

Slave, Hard Labor: Typically a slave with above average Strength and probably Constitution (for endurance), though weaker slaves could be used instead if you do not mind the reduced productivity and replacement costs. Hard Labor Slaves can also be used as a way to get rid of or punish undesirable population units. For instance enemy soldiers captured from battle might be sold into Hard Labor as a precaution, or may be political enemies who do not quite warrant death.

Slave Household: Probably at least an average charisma score as this is a slave that you and your family are going to be interacting with frequently. A household slave is going to at least in part be define by their personality. A docile or timid personality is more likely to be selected as a household slave rather than an aggressive slave that hasnt been broken yet. Overall a slave is more likely to be selected as a household slave if it has a professional skill such as cooking, sewing or something similar.

Slave Specialized: Essentially what it says a slave that is not easily replaced. An especially beautiful/Handsome slave for brothels, a slave with low PC levels (I suspect that Bards as entertainment, or Fighters as bodyguards would be popular). Other popular choices would be Experts who could train your children, Adepts who could provide low level healing on demand and the like.

Unsullied are specialized I think. Adjust the price for a slave soldier slightly upwards if you want a slave army of a warrior race, like hobgoblins, orcs or dwarves, and downward if you make an army of a prolific small race, like goblins.

Remember, the logistics of such an army won't change because they are slaves, they still require food, shelter, occasional repairs and medical aid, and so forth.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  14:21:52  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bladewind, what a great find! This is as good as any info I was looking for. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  14:58:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can usually get a good deal on used slaves.

You try to get them from private owners, though. The ones you can get from a 'Use Slave Lot' usually have some damage, or hidden problems.

Plus you have to deal with those gawd-awful 'used slave salesmen'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  15:04:48  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha. They'll do anything for a sale! Might even throw in a dog.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  15:07:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always look at the teeth before buying.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  15:11:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always use Slavefax to find out your slave's history.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  15:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that this isn't darkly humors, but to get back to the OP, I think those Pathfinder prices are going to be too high in a lot of cases.

Unfortunately, I think the true price is going to vary a great deal, depending on the situation. How common is slavery in that land? How common is the slave type? How far did the slaver have to bring the slaves, and how much risk was involved? Those prices might be good for an area with not a lot of slavery, or risk involved, but I'm guessing that in major slaving areas (ie: Calimport and Thay), slaves would go for a lot less. Unless, of course, a bidding war starts at auction, in which case, who knows.

It might be worth doing some research on how much slaves in the US pre-Civil War sold for, and what that would be in today's money. It would at least us a real-world comparison for agricultural and skilled labor slaves to base our musings on.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  16:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. After doing some research, I may stand corrected, at least if we're going to use the antebellum south as a reference.

Here's a link with probably more than you ever wanted to know about the subject: http://www.measuringworth.com/slavery.php

The short answer is that if you just adjust for inflation, the average $800 slave in 1850 is today about $12,000. But if you factor in a more realistic assessment of what the wealth actually meant, it's more like $80,000 or more.

Given those numbers, I think it would be more realistic to accept something in the general area of the Pathfinder numbers, though again I think it would depend a great deal on where the slave is being sold, and where the slave came from, among other factors.

Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  16:57:53  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never knew they sold for that high. That's some serious stuff right there. I'd think it'd be cheaper if they just paid them regular wages as free workers. Glad that slavery was abolished.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  16:59:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Not that this isn't darkly humors, but to get back to the OP, I think those Pathfinder prices are going to be too high in a lot of cases.

Unfortunately, I think the true price is going to vary a great deal, depending on the situation. How common is slavery in that land? How common is the slave type? How far did the slaver have to bring the slaves, and how much risk was involved? Those prices might be good for an area with not a lot of slavery, or risk involved, but I'm guessing that in major slaving areas (ie: Calimport and Thay), slaves would go for a lot less. Unless, of course, a bidding war starts at auction, in which case, who knows.

It might be worth doing some research on how much slaves in the US pre-Civil War sold for, and what that would be in today's money. It would at least us a real-world comparison for agricultural and skilled labor slaves to base our musings on.

Well actually I believe those prices are too low. Though actual pricing clearly depends on age and health of the slave.

An unskilled worker gets paid a silver a day (which is barely enough to feed self)which works out to about 35 to 40 gold a year. The unskilled worker clearly provides more value then paid, say even 10 percent. In many ways I would expect a higher return.
In any way, in 5 to 15 years an owner would get return on investment, depending on age get another 20 to 35 years in profit.

The point of how common slavery is, if a cultural norm the cost to oversee would tend to be low. In a case of raity clearly a slave master work need to be hired, those though would likely be used for either a large number of unskilled or a select few higher earning slaves. The craft slaves that can produce 10 to 30 gold a week.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, looking at the list, it kinda looks like a menu for vampires.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:09:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another site, a while back (like seven years or more) I managed to scrounge-up an actual price list for slaves from the early Americas.

Here's the thing: YES, it might actually be cheaper for you to pay a normal person wages for entire lifetime then buy one slave... but slaves breed. The idea is to buy a bunch and breed them, and then the new ones are 'free'. That's how it becomes cost-effective

And children sell for more then adults, for various (unsavory) reasons, so you don't even have to feed them for 16+ years to get your investment back. One reason is that 2nd+ generation slaves are more 'docile' and easier to manage.

Its an ugly business, but one that's been around a LONG time (the second oldest profession?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Apr 2013 17:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:28:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I did try to reply only in game terms, D&D does not do economics well.

Real World, slavery still exists in many ways.

Looking to the past there were different types of slavery.

The Roman empire allowed slaves to own money, limited but certain rights, they could buy their freedom because they could have money.

New England of the US had indentured servants, basically a 7 year contract for transport to the New World, however that 7 years could extend to 20 to life because of housing charges etc. that the contract owner had to spend on behalf of the servant.

The plantation South of the New World, the slaves owned nothing (could not buy their freedom) and were subject to whims of the owner, no civil or legal rights at all.

It paid in the past to have them and it still pays now if you are so inclined and can get away with it.

Edited typos

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Apr 2013 17:29:03
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second oldest profession is the spy.

Third oldest profession is the priest (or more specifically, the shaman).

But I could see slave being the "unofficial" fourth oldest profession.

Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:42:42  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and they can be inherited. Looks like a great investment. Orcs probably make great slaves if you break them mentally. And there's even not much to break.
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:45:02  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haitian voodoo slave zombies work the plantations.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  17:48:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Professions, I suppose is how you define them. A collection of skills or something trained for.

Becoming a slave clearly IMO is not a profession, rather such is an infliction.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  18:03:46  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm copying and posting this here. About five years ago I wrote a lengthy post (which others helped expand) on the WotC forums. It was about the different types of slavery that you might find in a D&D Setting. It is not Forgotten Realm's specific, but it is relevant to the discussion, and a lot of people found it useful.

quote:
For the purposes of this thread slavery shall be defined as: A person who is forced into servitude to a specified individual, organization or group, and is therefore considered unfree.

To most people the word slave conjures up images of Chattel Slavery. This is the stereotypical form of slavery that most people associate with the concept. In this form of slavery most people view the slaves as having poor living conditions, being treated worse than animals, enduring frequent whippings and having poor nutrition. This is obviously a very limited and narrow view of slavery that does not take into account the complexities that most societies build around the slave. Additionally, D&D offers new types of slavery not possible in the real world.

Therefore, for the purposes of this thread, I'd like to talk about and discuss other forms of slavery aside from Chattel Slavery.

----

Note on Slave Breeding: As a general rule it should be assumed that many (but not all) cultures that embrace slavery also embrace a form of breeding among slaves. In this way, the slaves become self-sustaining and the culture of slavery becomes inbred into the children (it is all they've ever known). The slave can then be treated like a farmers crop and 'harvested'.

* Magic/Mental Slavery: D&D introduces magic into the slave equation, something not possible in real life. A common form of slavery that may take place in a standard D&D world is mental slavery. In this form of slavery these individuals are forced into bondage by entirely magical means. They have no free will, they're not treated as "less than animals" as in the Chattel system but are considered nothing more than useful tools. As tools, they can be well cared for, depending upon owners and culture, and may be assigned to specific and specialized tasks. This type of slavery would be the most common among creatures with mental domination abilities such as Illithid and Beholders, but could also be extended to the killing of living subjects and animating them as undead.

An undead slave would have benefits that a mentally dominated slave does not - for example, the undead slave does not need to eat, breathe or sleep and can unless otherwise instructed continue to perform a certain task indefinitely. Such slaves could be useful in mining, because breathing conditions are often a concern for living creatures.

For breeding purposes the note on slave breeding would apply normally. However, in a society that embraces undead slaves this obviously means keeping some slaves alive. Such societies may also attempt to 'modify' their slaves magically to either produce more slaves per-birth and may dabble in magical fertilization. Additional modification methods may be attempted on the unborn children - for example, attempting to make them naturally stronger so that they may handle tasks that are more strenuous. They may also attempt to breed various beings that would otherwise not be genetically compatible.

* Religious Slavery: Some nations that are theocracies may outlaw all forms of slavery, but may allow a certain religious group to keep slaves. These slaves, unlike typical slaves, may serve a cultural purpose. For example, in a lawful society based on a strict code of conduct, breaking that conduct may result in you temporarily losing your freedom in order to "redeem" yourself. The type of work you do may vary depending on the religion and the culture. You may have to serve the church for a defined period of time (a year or so perhaps) after which you are once again a free and absolved of your sins.

Such religious slavery may also be required for individuals who wish to become part of a people or larger group. In such cases, this type of religion might heavily embrace a certain race, tribe or nation. Like the above, you would serve for a period of time, proving your worth, and then at the end of your servitude be made an honorary member of the race / tribe or full member of the nation. That in turn would allow you the same privileges as any other member of the race / tribe or nation.

Finally, Religious Slavery may engender other forms of slavery, but the Church may be the only organization legally allowed to engage in it.

This may not be the only forms or types of Religious Slavery.

* Subservient Child: While this may be controversial to point out, depending on perspective the way children are handled in the modern western world (at least in the United States) may be viewed as a form of child servitude and by some groups a form of child slavery.

Words to describe children are often used such as: "Who does that child belong too?" The word belong is the key word. (Used in the same context: "Who does this chair belong too?" or "Who does this dog belong too?") No one looks at an adult and asks if they belong to anyone, and thus the child is seen as the parent's property. If the child runs away they are located and brought back. The child is expected to obey their parents, and should they disobey, the parent is fully within their rights to punish the child. There are very few methods in which a child can escape their parents until they reach adulthood.

This is brought up so that alternative family structures may be discussed.

In contrast to the society in which the family unit (parent and child) is the core, there may be other cultures and societies in which everything is shared with the rest of the community. That would include the raising of children. I would imagine Elvish Cultures perhaps taking this type of view for two reasons. First, Elvish Culture is said to embrace individualism and thus a higher worth may be placed upon the individual and therefore the child. Second, the age at which an Elf is considered an adult. As a result of seeing their children as separate from their parents, neither owned nor subservient, Elves would therefore likely view the method at which Humans raise their families disturbing if not down right oppressive.

I could also imagine Halfling and Gnomish culture following similar trends as the Elves.

An interesting point to bring up, though not really related, is the method in which the aforementioned cultures survive without the labor produced by their children. This may produce an interesting thought exercise.

* Slaves-As-Children: I also brought up the above to introduce this form of slavery. In some societies it may be possible to own a house hold slave, though they may be viewed by the family as something similar to a child. As there are laws protecting children against abuse in the real world, likewise, in a society that views slaves as something similar to children may have laws that protect them from abuse.

A slave in this type of society may be seen as subservient to even the children of the house, but at the same time, may be viewed as a member of the family. I guess, perhaps, the better way of thinking of it is as the family dog. The dog is loved and cared for by the family. The family may never consider harming the dog and be appalled by the idea. They view the dog as a member of the family and treat the dog as such, though there are obvious limitations. The dog is expected to be subservient to everyone in the home. He is expected to behave. In some cases the dog is expected to guard the home when the family is away, and in others the dog is expected to provide enjoyment and pleasure for the family.

Likewise, a slave in this type of culture may be viewed very similarly.

Additionally, in virtually every case, the slave would have to be viewed as inferior. The reason I call this method Slaves-As-Children is due to the mindset behind the slavery. The slave, like a child, would be viewed as someone who was so inferior that they lacked the ability to make good decisions and choices. As such, the family who has the slave is actually doing the slave a service (in their minds) by shielding them from things that could harm them, much as parents view themselves as shielding children from a world that is difficult for them to understand.

However, unlike a child, a slave never "grows up" and is forever in this "inferior" state. In almost all cases this type of slave would have to come from at least a moderately different culture (likely more barbaric than the slave-keepers) or of a different race entirely.

It might be possible for a particular type of Elf culture to embrace this type of slavery. They could view humans as inferior to the point that they are doing a service by "caring" for them.

* Slaves-As-Prisoners: In many cultures it is possible that a prisoner may be taken and their freedoms stripped away. In our own culture if you break the law you lose your freedom and are placed in jail. This may be common in other cultures as well.

Prisoners could potentially fall into any number of the above categories, however by definition they are unfree. They may be captured during wartime, and then forced into a type of Religious Slavery as outlined above in order to integrate into their new culture and society. Alternatively, they may simply be turned into chattel slaves, enslaved through magical / mental slavery, or perhaps some of the more desirable slaves may become Slaves-As-Children.

Alternatively, they could simply be left to rot like in our prison system and be forced to serve whatever governing body currently holds them. (Such as working in government owned fields.)

* Indentured Servant: In this type of slavery the slave typically enters into slavery willingly to pay off some debt. However, it would not be uncommon for someone to be forced into this type of slavery in order to pay off the debt. Generally speaking, this is only for a limited period of time until the debt has been paid, after which the slave is allowed to go free.

* Feudalism: Any feudal kingdom will have serfs and peasants which are slaves. Serfdom is a condition of slavery that involves enforced labor on the part of the serf on the land of a landowner. In return the landowner provides protections and the right to work on their land. It includes everything from agriculture, forestry, mining, transportation and pretty much anything else you can name. The entire system revolves around landownership, and technically speaking the serf is part of the land, thus if the land is sold so is the serf.

This type of slavery is common in most D&D games as Feudalism plays a critical part of the medieval atmosphere.

* The Caste Slave: There are could be types of Caste systems in which someone may actually want to become a slave. Becoming a slave in such systems may actually give you power over most free people and make you an important member of society.

* Concubine Slavery: Concubines are defined as slaves whose sole purpose is for either carnal gratification and/or breeding. The type of concubine may range from culture to culture and it may or may not be widespread through a culture. A king, for example, may take the most desirable girls and young women of a kingdom to serve as his personal Concubine. However, in some societies such as that of the Drow where a single sex dominates the term might also apply to a "spouse" or multiple "spouses" to indicate an inferiority in the relationship.

Additionally, this type of slavery could be combined with religious slavery if the religion in question embraces sexual gratification and hedonism as key tenants of the faith. Particularly beautiful and attractive slaves may be kept to serve either as attractive objects to look at as well as prostitutes to serve the priests (and priestesses) of the faith and other faithful.

* Conscription Slavery: This type of slavery is defined as individuals who are conscripted into a military or other similar service against their free will. They may serve a nation, a lord or a church and the length of their service may be temporary or permanent. Though, however, it should be pointed out that conscription slavery is dangerous if they are used as soldiers in a battle as it involves arming them, and they may use their weapons to turn upon their masters.

Drow who practice chattel slavery but arm their slaves to fight in battle thus have converted the slave to a conscripted slave. A lord in a feudalistic society who conscripts his serfs into a makeshift militia is likewise embracing a conscript form of slavery. A draft that is issued by a republic or democratic government also falls under this definition, as well as any mandatory military service based upon age and/or gender.

It should be noted, however, that conscript slavery goes beyond a military. An order of Wizards who has a strong influence throughout a nation or kingdom may conscript all who have arcane abilities into their order, forcing them to become members and undergo training.

* Inter-Societal Slavery: This includes all individuals within a society that lack either the mental nimbleness or personal power to avoid a lower position within its society. Such a position may be obtained due to an inability to organize successfully, an inability to cope with leadership when it is attained by a stronger individual or group, a lack of ambition due to lackluster mental ability, a lack of ambition due to fear of failure (and likewise an inability to imagine success), and an inability to compete in societal politics.

This may be one race or culture dominating another, but it is always defined as a co-existence of two separate and distinct groups within a society in which one group is clearly subservient to the other.

A race or culture that lacks the proper leadership, or has ineffective leadership, can doom themselves to subservience in a society.

* Demigod Slavery: This is the implied and obvious superiority of a single individual who can issue any order unquestioned to the group as a whole, thus enacting a form of slavery against the larger group. Dragons are perhaps most notorious for this, although fiends are very close behind. The society operates within its own spheres and can usually operate without the governing entity's direct influence; but all wealth, sweat, and blood the society produces are at the immediate call of its imposing patron.

---

None of this actually touches on the daily life of a slave or the long lasting impacts of slavery as both are irrelevant to this discussion. I am interested in expanding this list and getting feedback.

If you can think of a type of slavery not listed here you are encouraged to post.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  20:34:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hmm. After doing some research, I may stand corrected, at least if we're going to use the antebellum south as a reference.

Here's a link with probably more than you ever wanted to know about the subject: http://www.measuringworth.com/slavery.php

The short answer is that if you just adjust for inflation, the average $800 slave in 1850 is today about $12,000. But if you factor in a more realistic assessment of what the wealth actually meant, it's more like $80,000 or more.

Given those numbers, I think it would be more realistic to accept something in the general area of the Pathfinder numbers, though again I think it would depend a great deal on where the slave is being sold, and where the slave came from, among other factors.

I was just about to respond to your other thread. Yeah, slaves weren't cheap. If slaves were cheap, why the hell would slavers bother with it. I mean, you have to capture these people at peril to your own life, transport them without getting caught, meanwhile feed them and encourage them to go to the auction block without dying. Slaves should cost a heck of a lot. This would be why free people in slave states would be very hesitant to break the laws, because the local government is apt to take criminals who broke minor laws and put them to work in dangerous situations that they wouldn't want to inflict upon expensive slaves. Its also why these visions northerners have of nearly everyone in the south owning slaves are ludicrous. The few people who were "lucky" enough to own a slave treated them very well.

This would be why in Mulhorand, slaves were the property of the state via their temples. Slaves in Thay would be one of the few instances where slaves might be a little cheaper, and that would be because the "ruling class" themselves stoops to the level of gathering slaves (i.e. the red wizards will enslave any people they can capture) and doesn't care what shape they're in, because any that die make good skeleton/zombie workers (as opposed to slavers who generally won't deal with old folks, kids, the weak, if transporting over great distances)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  20:44:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On another site, a while back (like seven years or more) I managed to scrounge-up an actual price list for slaves from the early Americas.

Here's the thing: YES, it might actually be cheaper for you to pay a normal person wages for entire lifetime then buy one slave... but slaves breed. The idea is to buy a bunch and breed them, and then the new ones are 'free'. That's how it becomes cost-effective

And children sell for more then adults, for various (unsavory) reasons, so you don't even have to feed them for 16+ years to get your investment back. One reason is that 2nd+ generation slaves are more 'docile' and easier to manage.

Its an ugly business, but one that's been around a LONG time (the second oldest profession?)

That's a really good point, and one that doesn't get thought about much in role-playing because they're always portraying slave countries as working slaves to death. I submit that Thay would be one of the few places willing to take on old slaves or broken slaves that other slave taking countries would do away with. They'd do it because if you just want someone that you can do some magical experiment on, might as well do it on a slave you can get for cheap because noone else wants it... and when you're done, animate the body. Take the flesh of the slave and use it to feed your soldiers or beasts.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2013 :  21:49:38  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friend (and player in my campaign) who is getting his doctoral degree on the subject of slavery in the Americas. I've sent him this thread so he might comment. I thought he'd have some interesting and useful thoughts on the economics of slaves and slavery.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  03:33:57  Show Profile Send Obie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the aforementioned friend of Kris, and I think for the most part y'all are on the right track. But there are some things I would like to note before getting into a discussion of the actual price of slaves (which is a topic scholars have spent the last forty odd years discussing and debating) and what they might be in the Realms.

First: chattel vs. non-chattel slavery. The reason that chattel slavery was so popular in the Americas was twofold: first, slaves had little recourse for gaining their freedom, and second, it tended to cross generations; meaning that if a child was born to a slave -- and survived until adulthood -- it continued in the status of its mother (we'll get to more on this later).

For the vast majority of slaves in history, slavery was not of the chattel variety. A couple of you mentioned Roman slavery, and at least one of you noted that slaves in the Roman Empire had the ability to own property and gain status within that society. In part, this was because their slavery was less onerous than New World slavery. Owning property was a hallmark of Greek and Roman slavery, because for most slaves in the Roman Empire their slavery as not inherently a permanent status. Slaves in the Roman Empire had a higher rate of manumission, and were more likely to be able to purchase their freedom than slaves in the Americas. Slaves in the Roman state could become great military leaders, and Their children also generally did not inherit the status of slave. In part this is because there was no racial stigma attached to slavery; European ideas of intellectual and civil superiority did not come into being until the eighteenth century.

Now, while chattel slavery tended to produce new slaves, it was very rare that a slave society -- at least in the modern era -- was ever able to capture a net natural growth in the slave population. In fact, the only slave society in the modern era that had a net growth in the slave population through reproduction prior to 1819 (when the international slave trade ban -- negotiated by the Congress of Vienna in 1815 -- went in to effect) was the United States. In part this was because the USA produced a relatively benign cash crop in cotton. Sugar, coffee, mining, and the other forms of labor that slaves did in the Caribbean and South America tended to be more deadly than cotton and tobacco cultivation. The United States imported somewhere around 300,000 slaves from 1619 until 1809, but by 1820 the slave population in the United States was 1.5 million. For comparison: Brazil imported 5.7 million slaves from 1600 until they abolished slavery in 1888, but their black population at the end of slavery was only 2 million. (The Brazilians, along with Spanish Cuba continued to import slaves after the international ban, and usually Spanish and Portuguese/Brazilian slavers had to slip past the British African Squadron whose job it was to stop this sort of human smuggling, else the 2 million number would be much lower)

Second: indentured servitude. As Kentinal mentioned, indentured servitude was very close to slavery, and the entire practice illustrates the complexity of defining freedom and slavery in the early modern period. For most people coerced labor was a common facet of day to day life, but not many would describe themselves as 'slaves.' Serfs and villeins were tied to the land and had little control over their economic freedom, but they had certain legal rights and recourse should they suffer abuse from their social betters. For indentured servants though, the rules tended to be less clear. Their initial indenture was usually for a term of 5-7 years, but could be extended for infractions against their master, or infractions against society (drunkenness was a common cause for indenture extension). It was also a much more prevalent activity in the American south, than it was in New England or the Mid Atlantic. Indentured servants tended to be treated just as poorly as slaves, and throughout the seventeenth century most former indentured servants called their term of labor 'slavery' as opposed to 'indenture' as a symbol of protest against this hard usage. There was little incentive for the owner of a indentured servant to keep them alive, as they were usually entitled to a parcel of land (50 acres generally) that came out of their master's holding.

Third: Human Necromancy. Kentinal also mentioned: 'Always check the teeth' of slaves. One thing that historically, slave traders tended to do was 'shine up' their merchandise. They tended to feed their slaves better when they were about to be sold, they attempted to cover up signs of disease or infirmities. Slave traders were generally a scummy bunch, who did everything they could to sell the people they kept in their ward, and cover up any defects that might have lowered their price. Slave buyers were wise to check the teeth of slaves as missing or rotting teeth usually pointed to other problems or suggested slaves might be older than advertised. Other known things to look for: yellowing of the eyes, scarification, tattoos (these related to the region from Africa that slaves came from, and some slave owners swore by/against various 'tribal' groups), and 'firmness' of muscle for men, breasts and buttocks for women. In the Realms, I would expect that any slave trader worth his salt would have either access to rudimentary magics that might improve the look of their slaves, or would at the very least keep a supply of potions around to make their merchandise more appealing.

So, when discussing slave prices one has to take into consideration what kind of slavery a society (Thay, Calimshan, etc.) uses, and the sort of labor that they carry out. If the labor that the slaves are carrying out is particularly onerous, it is likely that they are going to die off more quickly, and prices are going to be higher. You might also have to consider how the slaves are acquired. Traditionally slaves were acquired through warfare -- which is where the vast majority of slaves in the Realms come from I would assume --but in the case of the Americas, slaves were transported from Africa to the American colonies in vast quantities. This tended to both A: lower the price of slaves, and B: make them more expendable in colonial society. One also needs to consider the race of slaves, and racial animus as a real motivator for the treatment of certain enslaved individuals. Orcs are going to be treated worse than Humans (or, if the Humans are in the care of Orcs, vice versa). Humans are going to be more likely -- probably -- to keep slaves of one race, but abhor the keeping of slaves of their own race. Perhaps skin color, or religious difference, can enter into it in certain isolated areas but I imagine that most slavery in the Realms falls along racial lines, and that -- as most of you said -- certain skilled slaves and more intelligent races probably earn a better price.

That's it for the first part; part two will look into historical prices and attempt to put them into Realms terms. I suspect I'll have time to put that together sometime this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  05:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. I'm glad Kris brought you in on this, Obie. Always good to get informed opinions on things. I look forward to your second (and any other) parts.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, we must also consider the fantasy-aspect of slavery on this site.

Some of those more onerous tasks would be better suited to elementals, golems, undead, etc. For instance, in my current 'Misbegotten Realms' campaign, Thay uses triremes rowed by Undead. You don't have to feed them, and they don't get tired. It has nothing to do with their caring for the 'human condition', or whatever, but rather, its just more economical.

Mining, for instance, is much more easily accomplished with a few wizards around to move/disintegrate dirt (amongst other things), and I am sure a fair amount of magic gets dedicated to these utilitarian purposes (but goes mostly undetailed by designers because it simply is not relevant to a D&D game, except as flavor/backdrop).

When you consider all the alternatives to 'chattel slavery' in a fantasy milieu, I would suspect most of FR's (human) slavery is of the 'nicer' variety, like house-slaves. The only other type - one we never had to deal with RW (except by nut-jobs) was magical experimentation, which Sleyvas addressed in his last post. Thay would be one of the few 'major importers' of poor slaves because they are just going to be killed anyway. It would be akin to selling a horse to a glue factory because it was no longer useful (which DID happen).

You also have 'press gangs', which are in the Realms, but I can't recall where I read about at least one instance of that. It was used extensively for army-building (conscription), but also for navies (called 'Shang-haiing). That is a very specific from of slavery, and one that (most people are unaware) prompted the War of 1812. From what I understand, this horrible practice may yet continue today. Sadly, we also still have human-trafficking, which is an uglier variety of an already-ugly business.

You know, this entire subject would make for a great article by Ed, in his current series.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Apr 2013 14:49:48
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  19:36:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot economic slavery, the kind that is still practiced in our society. The poor are effectively enslavedby thier lack of resources and desperation and forced by society and thier need to survive into sweatshops, like the one that sad collapsed in Bangladesh. That's slavery too because if they didn't have to choice between starvation and working in that whole no one would have.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  20:03:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

You forgot economic slavery, the kind that is still practiced in our society. The poor are effectively enslavedby thier lack of resources and desperation and forced by society and thier need to survive into sweatshops, like the one that sad collapsed in Bangladesh. That's slavery too because if they didn't have to choice between starvation and working in that whole no one would have.

I do not believe many of us are forgetting this issue. It though is not directly a Realms issue. While RW clearly has been a factor in how the Realms work, Candlekeep is not designed for sole Real World issues.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  13:49:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know, one thing that occurs to me only now after thinking about it. Slave transportation tends to be a dangerous business. At the end of the road, you end up with some dead slaves. I submit that Thay would be one of the few places which is probably known for paying decent money for this class of slaves that generally no other country wants. I know we've discussed corpse thieves in the past, but its never really been mentioned that slavers might would be contacted for dealing with the dead. I can see some village being hit with a plague, and their enterprising leader paying someone who shows up to transport the bodies off for disposal, and said person then turns around and sells the bodies in Thay for a small profit. There may even be certain portals in their enclaves which allow the transport of dead material only, which would allow for transport of foodstuffs in the form of cattle, fowl, pigs, etc.... and dead slaves.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  15:50:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zombies with the plague would make for excellent biological warfare.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  16:25:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and thank you Obie for the information about slave reproduction, and the mention of slave owners having issues with slaves of their own class. Given the Mulan people's feelings of superiority over their fellow humans, it can be seen why human slavery exists in their societies (though slavery of other races is also rampant in Thay). I see the Mulhorandi slavery being the kind that would allow for small growth in population, but it would be chattel slavery with no chance ever of release. Thus, the slave importation into Mulhorand would be nowhere near the numbers as goes into Thay, but the quality of slaves bought would be much better. Thus, slavers probably show up in Mulhorand first, try to get a good price from the temples, and then move over to Thay with whatever's left. Slaves are probably at least more receptive to being picked in Mulhorand too, knowing where their next stop will be.

Also, I find some of this from old empires particularly interesting, as Mulhorandi slaves can possess money apparently AND they're required to worship the Mulhorandi gods:

All slaves must take an oath to obey the gods and whatever master the gods see fit to give them. It is not uncommon for a master to pay his slaves when they are returned to their priesthood; this often favorably impresses the priests who own the slaves. Life as a slave in Mulhorand is not easy or particularly pleasant, but it is better than a slave#146;s life in other lands, especially Thay.

Now, when it comes to slavery in Calimshan, that will definitely be different than Mulhorand or Thay. They do not consider themselves racially superior, but rather culturally superior. Owning slaves is more a status symbol than a means to get things done. Consequently, I'd imagine that slaves in Calishite society are garnered more for their looks than anything.

Below from Empires of the Sands:

Nearly anyone who can afford a slave has one (or more). Slaves are used in Calimshan primarily as personal servants, #151;cooks, food servers, maids, clothes washers, nannies, gardeners, and the like. Many businesses also use slaves, especially those that need a large amount of manual labor. Trade in slaves is brisk in Calimshan, and any race, human or non-human, can be found in the ranks of slaves. Slaves are frequently imported from other parts of the Forgotten Realms as well.

Servants are more common than slaves, because they are less expensive. A servant only has to be paid a wage, while slaves must not only be bought, but also housed, fed, and clothed. Servants are exclusively of the domestic variety, handling household chores and other menial tasks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  04:07:14  Show Profile Send Obie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the tardiness in getting this reply written, I had a bit of a problem last evening in getting on to Candlekeep, and have had a couple of other unexpected things come up. But, now, part II: How much did slaves cost historically, and how can we extrapolate these prices in to the Realms?

To begin with: I take much of my data from David Eltis, "The Rise of African Slavery in the Americas,"; Trevor Burnard, "Mastery, Tyranny, & Desire,"; Seymour Drescher, "Econocide: British Slavery in the Era of Abolition,"; Laird W. Bergad, "Slave Prices in Cuba, 1840-1875"; Peter C. Mancall, Joshua L. Rosenbloom, and Thomas Weiss, "Slave Prices and the South Carolina Economy, 1722-1809,"; and David Eltis, Frank D. Lewis, David Richardson, "Slave Prices in the African Slave Trade, and Productivity in the Caribbean, 1674-1807,"; David Eltis and David Richardson, "The Price of African Slaves," and I will be using in-text citations where I take from any of the aforementioned works. I will also (unless I specifically mention otherwise) be using British Pound Sterling as the default currency for this discussion.

In 1674 a slave in the Caribbean cost on average 19.86. By 1807 that same slave had an average price of 73.17, a threefold increas. (Eltis, Lewis, Richardson, 679). The price in the early years of the nineteenth century was a factor of inflation as much as a steady increase in demand. In 1855 in Cuba, slave prices were greatly inflated: 581 pesos, which shot up to 673 pesos by 1870, constituting a fifteen percent increase in the cost of slaves in fifteen years(Bergad, 637). In the Carolinas, prices also tripled from $110.37 in 1722 to $349.49 by 1807 (Mancall, Rosenbloom, and Weiss, 620). These average prices suggest a couple of things about the cost of purchasing slaves we might consider instructional for when we attempt to transfer these prices to the Realms: prices seem to have increased irregardless of gender division (as the slave trade went on, more females were carried to the Americas, eventually making up somewhere around 40% of the total number of slaves transported by the last years of the trade), or any real reference to skill or other notable attributes that individual slaves may have had. In other words: there was little differentiation in the price of a skilled slave in 1807 or 1674 once one takes into account inflation and other factors.

Now, while these averages provide a useful baseline to guess at the price of slaves over the course of two hundred years, it does little to explore what individual pricing looked like on the ground. Trevor Burnard's extremely readable "Tyranny, Mastery and Desire," provides a good idea of how much the average slave owner paid for their property. Thomas Thistlewood -- the subject of Burnard's monograph -- lived in Jamaica from 1750 until 1786. During this time, according to Eltis, Lewis, and Richardson the average price of a slave was 30.90 in 1750 and up to 60.23 in 1789 (Eltis, Lewis, Richardson, 679). Thistlewood, though, rarely paid anything approaching the average price, and tended to pay a premium to acquire his slaves in Jamaica. Thistlewood's first slave, a boy named Lincoln, was purchased for 43 l in 1756. Nine years later in 1765, Thistlewood paid 54 l for a "man-boy", and by 1775 was paying "59 l plus duty" for any slave -- male or female. These slaves were slaves that had just arrived from Africa. By contrast, slaves who had survived the seasoning fetched a greater price still. Thistlewood acted as the executor of a neighbor's estate, and was able to fetch as high as 111 l for a skilled slave, and averaged 73 l for the slaves he sold (Burnard, 55-56).

How do we reconcile this anecdotal evidence with the averages produced by Eltis and others? First, we must take into account that Thistlewood lived on the island of Jamaica. Jamaica, being about three hundred miles from the Windward islands, was a secondary stop for slave traders coming from Africa. Most slaves were sold to Barbados -- or at least offered there -- first, before being taken to Jamaica. This meant that while Barbadians received a discount on their slaves, slave owners in Jamaica paid a higher price. At the same time, the extra travel time usually led to a higher mortality rate for the slaves transported. Also of note: 1756 was the beginning of the Seven Year's War, and 1775 was well into the American Revolution. Times of war tended to jack up the price of slaves as the replenishment of the colonial population of bonded labor was usually interdicted by pirates, and Thistlewood's purchases reflect that.

Slave prices were not constant in the early modern Atlantic. Prices fluctuated due to many factors: war, availability, certain attributes related to the slave, and local demand, to name a few. Because of this, it is difficult to simply discuss 'slave prices' as if they were a static price point, and instead some historians (notably Eltis, Lewis, and Richardson) have attempted to calculate the relative 'value' of a slave to its master. These calculations are rather complex, but, the evidence that Eltis et. al. provide suggests that slaves tended to cost -- on average -- 5% more than the total production they carried out in a year. Towards the latter years of the slave trade, slaves produced on average 112% of their value, but this was mostly due to technological improvements in sugar production (Eltis, Lewis, Richardson, 679). (In fact, if you have access to JSTOR and want a really good chart of the development of price to production over the long eighteenth century, just look up Eltis, Lewis, Richardson's "Slave Prices in the African Slave Trade," it does an excellent job of illustrating the point I am trying to make as to the nature of price fluctuations)

Finally, what can we extrapolate from these numbers? How do the prices from the eighteenth century relate to slavery in the Realms? If we look at the ratio of price to wealth created posited by Eltis, one might suggest a calculation between the average 'production' a slave should produce during his lifespan (which might in turn give the GM a way to consider how much a slave should make for a PC/NPC owner), and charge 105g for every 100 produced. And if those slave prices are set in the 'second edition' era, then by the years depicted in 'fourth edition' (I know, heresy) would be 315g for every 300 produced. Slavery in and of itself -- when carried out by a small number of slaves -- is not exceedingly profitable.

EDIT: Edited to fix numbers. I do math good.

Edited by - Obie on 01 May 2013 17:56:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000