Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why do we suddenly lack female leads?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  18:51:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Shar became their go-to evil deity of choice in 3E, and the heavy focus on Lolth is due entirely to one of their main cash cows being a guy that disliked the way Lolth ran things. That's been WotC chasing the "kewl" while disregarding everything else.

What I meant is that when 4e kicked in, powerful female characters were mainly negative examples, w/o the positive figures that had provided balance in representation before 4e.

I wasn't saying that WotC wanted to send the message that women in charge are a negative thing (although I should have clarified better), but characters representing women in charge were mostly negative. Heck, the iconic matriarchy--the drow--was an horrible society, which had used to have a bright and hopeful counterpart, but that was nowhere to be found in 4e--and its lore had been warped to give it some *truly* ugly and unlikeable traits--to the point of leading you to question their morals--by the novels that had led to its removal (novels that--although techinically part of the end of 3e--were admittedly part of the plans for 4e).

The only positive powerful women that I could think of, were Ilsevele and Storm, and the former didn't get much spotlight either AFAIK.

In short, I don't think that the changes were deliberate (although I cannot exclude it either), but the result was the same.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Apr 2017 23:38:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  01:51:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, the result was the same, and with that end result, one could readily come to (what I assume were) incorrect conclusions about why it was done.

I still think, though, that the larger mistake was going the ALL SHADOW, ALL THE TIME! route they did -- not only were there suddenly Shades, Sharrans, or both, under every rock, it grossly oversimplified the ever-shifting power dynamics of all the myriad groups of the Realms. It was more a caricature of the setting than a logical progression of it.

The Lost Vale best exemplifies that attitude, to me... A near-deity, flying directly over the Lost Vale and specifically looking for it, couldn't find it. And yet the Shades somehow found it, and for no reason that I can fathom, destroyed it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  07:02:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, there's also that...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000