Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Arabel following Cormyr's Goblin War
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  15:26:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's the Year of Wild Magic, and my PCs will shortly be passing through Arabel.

I know Arabel suffered much devastation during the previous year's Goblin War, but I'm looking for suggestions as to how it should be portrayed to the PCs.

It's been a long while since I read 'Death of the Dragon' and Denning's 'Return of the Shade' trilogy. I know they have some relevant lore on this subject, but the details are hazy.

If I recall correctly, Denning described Arabel as almost completely destroyed, but with rebuilding taking place swiftly with the aid of the Shade. It struck me at the time that this take seemed overly extreme, and I'm interested to hear the opinions of other sages.

Are any significant landmarks (particularly inns or taverns the PCs might visit) known to have survived the destruction?

Furthermore, would Arabel be considered 'safe' territory so shortly after the war, or would there still be a danger of small goblinoid bands hiding out amongst the ruins?

As ever, my thanks for your input.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  15:51:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that sections of the city furthest away from gates and major thoroughfares would be the least damaged. Stuff nearest the gates (or any breaches in the walls) would be the most damaged, unless heavily fortified, and damage would spread from there among major streets, becoming less the further you go from the gates, and also becoming less the further you go from the roads leading to those gates.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  16:45:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'blow everything up today and its all back to normal tomorrow' schtick is pretty-much a running theme in The Realms.

{sigh}

I am kinda divided on whether I'd like to see Tilverton back in 5e, just because of this phenomena.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2013 16:45:57
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  06:28:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello MalariaMoon,

this post is a quick summary of Cormyr after the war, though not Arabel proper.

This post from Ed expands on that summary.

There was another post by Ed that talked about Cormyr after the Dragon War that discussed other details, but I can't find it as yet. Will keep looking.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 02 Apr 2013 06:28:35
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  08:58:22  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links Jeremy. They're really useful.

Although I'm still interested in hearing the envisionings of other scholars on how Arabel appears, as the existing lore is light.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000