Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is FR actually your favorite setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  02:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
570 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  02:30:02  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes for 1st and 2nd edition but I've always had a deep and abiding love for Darksun. It's one of the most interesting and under rated settings out there. Greyhawk has been growing on me but I can't keep all those petty kingdoms straight and it tends to buckle under the weight of it's own pretentiousness.
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  01:07:25  Show Profile  Send Austin the Archmage an AOL message Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've explored enough RPG settings that one being my "favorite" really says much, but I loved the Scarred Lands. It was a very fleshed out setting. Loads of fluff in the supplements, and things like three monster collections, two magic books, a player's guide series examining exactly how each class fits in the setting really give the setting an individual identity.

I'm big into good versus evil, and that setting has a ton of evil for players to fight. Monsters everywhere, and the setting tended to use it's own monsters more than the ones in the Monster Manual. They're all iconic, but to be honest I think the default monsters feel a little bland to a lot of the ones you get in other supplements.

In any DnD type setting, I prefer the gods to be active, and a core part of the Scarred Lands is the effect the gods have had on the land, with the conflict with their parents the titans being the reason the lands are scarred in the first place. There's eight main deities with the rest being demigods, many of whom don't show up much. I kind of like that. Compared to the Forgotten Realms, where there are so many deities it seems like it'd be hard to keep track of them all.

I love magic, and it's also a very magic heavy setting. At the same time I don't think magic completely dominates the campaign. There are many different traditions of magic, and many just waiting to be rediscovered by the players. Every spell in the books have a brief description explaining their history and how the spell is usually used, something that gives them a lot of flavor.

The last thing I really like is that I feel that despite how grim the setting is on the surface, it's actually very optimistic. Evil may be widespread, but it's never unopposed, and you feel like you really can make a difference.

Aaand it was discontinued after three years of publication, and is a fairly obscure setting these days. Bah. Why must everything I love wither and die?
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  01:18:56  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms is my favorite FANTASY setting, so I voted yes. However in general it's a tie between FR and 40k, FOR THE EMPEROR!!!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  02:11:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are other settings?
Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  06:32:11  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR are my Favorite Setting (even if i play them with Rolemaster Rules) cause it has so many Books with Informations on Cities,Areas etc. that i can use as an GM.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
ME i just like to KILL THING
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000