Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cosplay as Realms characters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rufus
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  03:12:42  Show Profile Send Rufus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Moderator comment: I've removed the original content of this post, since it was simply spam. The spammer in question has been banned, and another scroll he/she/it started has also been removed.

However, Kris's comment below shows that while the original content was spam, a Realms-related discussion can still be had. So I'm leaving this thread here, for people to discuss dressing as Realms characters.

Accordingly, I've also renamed the topic.

-- Wooly Rupert, Spahambuster of Ill Omen

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Mar 2013 05:05:02

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  04:14:11  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@DD - Methinks it is someone trying to sell us something. Lol.

I have to assume that's some sort of ToS violation or whatnot, but bots will be bots.

This does raise the question...cosplay and the Realms...aside from a rather amusing "Edminster" photo or two here, there, and everywhere (and what I must assume is about a million Drizzt costumes) have there ever been any concerted attempts at Realms cosplay at GenCon or other events that people remember fondly (or even better yet, have photos of)? At the last GenCon I did a 'standard fancy pants/quasi-evil wizard' thing in honor of my Play Yourself character and my wife did her PYS 'sorceress' character, but I didn't see a lot of attempts at Realms specific costumes. One more area in which the folks at Paizo are eating WoTC's lunch (with their specific 'dress up as one of our iconic Golarion characters and win a prize' yearly contest). There are tons of good regional costumes and characters of note (Seven Sisters anyone?) to choose from, has anyone seen a really good one?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  05:04:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At some point, when time and money permit, I should like to get a nice set of wizard's robes made for myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  06:11:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been slowly trying to pull together an authentic Danilo Thann cosplay design based on something he wore in Elfshadow. But it's difficult finding a) the appropriate material, and b) a tailor interested in helping me put something like this together.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  11:25:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Red robes, of course. Telamont’s attire looks good too, but it’ll be quite “heavy.”

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  16:30:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget all those wimpy wizard robes, I haven't seen many people hurling fireballs from their bare hands in the real world. Plus I wouldna want to look like some Harry Potter reject.

A nice suit of armor and a big sharp sword, however, would be functional in any place and time. Titanium plate over aluminum chain, perhaps underlaid with a leathery aramid-polyfiber synthetic mesh to stop bullets and sharkbites and such ... and I think I'd like a nice folded-ceramic-fiber sword or two. And a crossbow with infrared laser sights. I suppose I'd be shooting at guys in bright robes, mostly.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:04:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep day-dreaming about decking myself out in the ultimate Bruenor get-up. I look at all my notes on the old guy, and I can visualize the definitive Clan Battlehammer royal set of armor and arms.

I have no idea how to justify the cost of custom pseudo-armor and axe, though.

And then I imagine I'd feel rather silly, if I ever did somehow follow through with it. That's a lot of money and time just to play dress up for a little while.

But if I could get PAID to dress up like that and actually play the bearded one . . . HOO-AH!!!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:22:15  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Ayrik - That's why I wear BLACK robes. Lol. Anyway, humorous point taken.

@Wooly - That's exactly what I did. I was lucky enough to find a talented local seamstress through one of my gamers (some of whom LARP so need costuming skills) and got to design the robes from scratch and have them made from the ground up to fit me. I'd post a photo, but this the Keep seems to lack that functionality. Lol. The bottom line is that finding the right person to make what is in your head a reality is the key thing. The cost, if that is someone you know instead of someone who does this for a living, is actually not as bad as you'd think. Fabric is the main hit, and you can get an excellent assortment of fabrics for not too bad a price at a place like JoAnn's Fabrics. My outfit is three layered (full mantle cloak, robes, tunic and pants), with cotton for the pants/tunic, a type of satin for the robes, and matte black velvet for the mantle cloak. All that fabric only cost around $300. The buttons, clasps, trim and what not ran around another $150 (because I hand picked some pretty obscure stuff from separate internet based merchants). Way less than I'd have thought for the insane level of detail I ended up getting.

@Sage - Sounds cool. As I mentioned, the fabric ends up being not that hard to find (there are also plenty of one off stores on the net who do neat fabrics) it's the maker that's key. If you are were anywhere near NYC/CT I'd introduce you to mine, but alas you are a world away!

There is one internet based vendor from of all places, Eastern Europe, that does a damn good job of producing period pieces they make themselves that aren't too crazy expensive, but since I'm not looking to turn this thread back into the functional equivalent of a spam email I'll just say google 'armstreet' if you want to know more.

My wife would love to cosplay the Simbul, and I was sort of surprised a google search of same yielded absolutely nada. Must be the lack of long silver wigs...Lol.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:29:05  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Beast - Halloween Party? Lol. Seriously though, I myself was surprised to see how big of a deal cosplay had become. I thought it was just teenagers running around in homemade anime outfits and LARPers in bedsheets until I went to DragonCon in 2011 (and GenCon in 2012). The level of detail and complexity in some of the costumes I saw was amazing and it was people in the mid 20's to mid 40's age bracket that had the best stuff (since we tend to have a bit more income to dump into such nostalgic pursuits). If you want an idea of what I mean take a peek on Flickr and search 'GenCon cosplay' or 'DragonCon cosplay'. The fun part for many is the little details/accessories that tie the costumes together more so even than the general costumes themselves. I bet you that someone out there has done a fitting armor and axe for Bruenor. Lol.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  19:34:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how much LARPing has to to do with Cosplay, but her was me about 5 years ago in my half-plate

http://zine.angaron.org/files/0107/armor1.jpg

Ah, good times!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  19:58:50  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Diffan - Nice armor. I was just saying that there seems to be an increasing amount of crossover between the LARPing and cosplay communities these days. People get in the habit of (and acquire the skills for) generating super detailed costumes for a LARP or a convention and discover those same traits are useful in the other community. There are some really impressive amateur fabricators out there now (in greater numbers than in the old school SCA/Ren Faire only days). I personally have no such skills, but I admire those that do. My wife, while not a costumer, is great at 'nick nack' production and so made me the wizard staff to go with my robes for example. Scrapbooking and other general handicraft skills can easily be turned to more nerdy (and Realmsy) pursuits.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:35:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

@Sage - Sounds cool. As I mentioned, the fabric ends up being not that hard to find (there are also plenty of one off stores on the net who do neat fabrics) it's the maker that's key. If you are were anywhere near NYC/CT I'd introduce you to mine, but alas you are a world away!

There is one internet based vendor from of all places, Eastern Europe, that does a damn good job of producing period pieces they make themselves that aren't too crazy expensive, but since I'm not looking to turn this thread back into the functional equivalent of a spam email I'll just say google 'armstreet' if you want to know more.
Hmmm. I hadn't actually considered sourcing fabric from an online vendor. Thanks for the suggestion Kris.

[A quick online perusal here at work has brought up several possibilities... and one very near locale that I can probably check in with during my lunch break. Woot!]

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  14:25:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

@Diffan - Nice armor. I was just saying that there seems to be an increasing amount of crossover between the LARPing and cosplay communities these days. People get in the habit of (and acquire the skills for) generating super detailed costumes for a LARP or a convention and discover those same traits are useful in the other community. There are some really impressive amateur fabricators out there now (in greater numbers than in the old school SCA/Ren Faire only days). I personally have no such skills, but I admire those that do. My wife, while not a costumer, is great at 'nick nack' production and so made me the wizard staff to go with my robes for example. Scrapbooking and other general handicraft skills can easily be turned to more nerdy (and Realmsy) pursuits.

Thanks, and I totally agree. Many of the people I know in the LARPing community also do Cons and Ren-fairs and SCA stuff too.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  16:32:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I suppose if bikini chainmail is involved then perhaps I'd consider participating in these costume events. To admire the craftsmanship and attention to historical details, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  18:09:49  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage - Not a problem! You can also take a plain patterned fabric and kick it up a notch simply by adding a dynamic trim pattern (and some cool clasps, buttons, etc) to it. My robes are solid black throughout, but I added some detail by using a gold metallic Celtic griffon theme on the trim, buttons, and clasps. It enhanced the style by a factor of ten.

@Ayrik - You are absolutely incorrigible, but then I'm sure you know that. I'm also sure you know that bikini chainmail isn't just for 1980's TSR module covers anymore either. You can't swing a dead cat at a convention without hitting a chainmail vendor who has done their own version of the stuff. It's not exactly my thing (fighters are made for meat-shielding wizards, not for wizard eye candy, for that we have thieves), but it's an inescapable trend.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  18:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Hmm, well I suppose if bikini chainmail is involved then perhaps I'd consider participating in these costume events. To admire the craftsmanship and attention to historical details, of course.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  01:30:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To admire the craftsmanship and attention to historical details, of course.
That's how I justify my reading of the Red Sonja comic book with the Lady K.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  03:27:32  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes to the bikini chainmail.

No to Ayrik "participating in these costume events" (bikini-mail fests). That's something that I just don't wanna see.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  16:47:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, the Red Sonja tomes you mention sound like they're worthy of some diligent scholarly analysis.

[Edit]

Or at least you can try that line on your Lady K.

@Beast ... Ayrik at bikini-mail fests ... I was once surrounded by a harem of rather scantily clad princess Leia clones, but, uh, what exactly did you have in mind?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Mar 2013 16:51:47
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  20:23:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Beast ... Ayrik at bikini-mail fests ... I was once surrounded by a harem of rather scantily clad princess Leia clones, but, uh, what exactly did you have in mind?

When you said "participate in said events", I thought you might actually participate by donning said attire. I promptly proceeded to throw up in my mouth, just a little.

But hey, getting swarmed by such lovelies sounds like fun for all!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  22:44:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I believe we can agree that I shall not be donning any bikini chainmail at such public events. Nor for any foreseeable private events. Unless perhaps a goodly number of equivalently armoured young Princess Leias are involved.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  01:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been mulling Realms cosplay for the next GenCon, but haven't settled on a particular character quite yet.

The first thing that springs to mind for female cosplay are the Seven Sisters, but as a small thing, I don't think I could pull off the 6' aspect. Aside from that, The Simbul, my favorite, also has this hair that is constantly moving. That just doesn't translate well to the real world. And if I can't be The Simbul...

My next thought was a drow female character. I've come across some really great directions for stage makeup (face and full body) and think I could do a respectable job at that. But which one? Liriel Baenre is a favorite of mine but I have to admit that cosplaying an evil drow has its allure... One that comes to mind is Yyssisiryl H'tithet, the late chief negotiator for the drow faction of Mantol-Derith.

I like to choose characters to CosPlay that fit my general body type (5'4" and athletic but with some curves) and have some element that is unique and recognizable so that someone familiar with the character might realize who I'm trying to look like. I've only started reading FR literature in the last year or so and the characters I know aren't jumping out at me as good options. Can anyone throw me some ideas for something that might fit that bill?

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)

Edited by - Emma Drake on 08 May 2013 01:23:02
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  02:16:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think a lot of FR characters are immediately recognizable to the population at large, or if they are then it is most likely through their representations on bookstore cover art.

Alias of Westgate jumps to mind as an example of a character people familiar with the Realms would instantly recognize by appearance. An older example - I've found generational gaps in Realms fans, everybody tends to remember their "first" D&D edition (and associated Realms setting) as the "best" one and have little interest in characters from elsewhere.

These days it seems to me that most of the FR titles out there involve scantily clad drow dominatrix-priestesses doing sinister things. Seems to sort of fit your body type, although I'm just a dirty old barbarian pervert so feel free to ignore my suggestions, lol.

[Edit]
Having said that, if you do require assistance with proper application of body-covering blue paint then you'll find my quarters in the east wing, my door is the one buried with post-its and a grand disarray of naughty scrolls stolen from Sage's secret shelves of forbidden knowledge.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 May 2013 02:22:29
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  01:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly agree that most FR characters aren't recognizable to the population at large. GenCon has a unique (read: awesome) composition of attendees, however. Any event that has enough Realms-lovers to warrant its very own Candlekeep Seminar is sure to draw a considerable number of realmslore devotees who would recognize certain characters. I'm predicting a crowd with a more refined fantasy palate than the average joe.

I'll have to check out the Azure Bonds books. Those are some that I have not yet read.

Thanks for the offer, but I have people for that. Yes, you heard me correctly. ;)

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  02:11:20  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azure Bonds, bah humbug. Better a sorceress than a fighter (chainmail bikinis notwithstanding) any day. I bet the Candlekeep crowd would instantly recognize and enthusiastically embrace any one of the Seven Sisters (your favorite included) despite your vertical mismatch.

You know who I'd like to see, The Shadowsil. Now if we only knew exactly what she looked like...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done the main character of my novel Ghostwalker before, though it was sort of a modern take on it.

I agree with the bit about the Realms not having instantly recognizable characters, though. Drizzt is the closest thing we've got, and of course many of us see drow and go "oh, D&D!" I'd recognize Alias, but mostly because of the blue tattoos or the unfortunate boob window.

The key to having recognizable characters would be to put them in a visual medium: more Realms CRPGs (with visuals on the level of Dragon Age or Mass Effect), comics, TV, or even movies. How many people used to cosplay A Song of Ice and Fire before the show came out? Etc.

I'd also love to see more artists produce their take on Realms characters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:38:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I've done the main character of my novel Ghostwalker before, though it was sort of a modern take on it.
Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on this "modern" take, Erik?

Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  16:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on this "modern" take, Erik?

A picture (if you don't mind) of that cosplay would give us that "visual medium." :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000