Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ptolus - Back to the Spire!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  05:33:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ptolus, City by the Spire, is back in print.

I got my copy while they were still fairly easy to find... But if you didn't get it then, now is your chance! It's a massive tome, with a lot of niftiness in it.

Mod Edit: Fixed URL coding.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2013 07:28:01

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  06:47:13  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see this monster is coming back.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking of getting rid of mine.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  07:35:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this book! And I especially love all the awesome extras that came with it.

Monte Cook really provided a fully workable setting that can stand equally well enough on it's own, or as a massively extensive part of some pre-existing world.

And I like that I can still thumb through its many hundreds of pages even today... years after it's initial release, and find little gems that are just begging for inclusion/expansion elsewhere.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2013 07:37:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  15:04:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That book is chock-full of great stuff... My only complaint about it (other than the fact that my arms got tired of holding the book, when I was reading it!) was that to me, the idea that adventurers could start at level 1 and ascend to high levels without ever leaving town just doesn't work. Yes, in Ptolus it is possible, but I can't picture playing an adventurer who never wants to leave town.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  15:05:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Well, the amount of money you'd get for doing so just went down.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  22:20:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Heh, probably so. I can't imagine getting much for it anyway, as the place I sell my books off too pays only a small percentage of what Amazon charges for books (they use Amazon as a price guideline).

The good news is this same place (Rasputin's) charges at most a few bucks for large hardcovers.

Hopefully some kid new to D&D finds that book and uses it like crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  22:32:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Heh, probably so. I can't imagine getting much for it anyway, as the place I sell my books off too pays only a small percentage of what Amazon charges for books (they use Amazon as a price guideline).

The good news is this same place (Rasputin's) charges at most a few bucks for large hardcovers.

Hopefully some kid new to D&D finds that book and uses it like crazy.

IIRC, I got my copy off of eBay, for a little under the cover price.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  11:48:08  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a used copy of The Banewarrens for my Sigil campaign, I think if they print a Pathfinder version, it would sell.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  18:46:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my boxes all set to go to the book seller, and I took the Ptolus copy out and put it back on the shelf.

I blame Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  19:06:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had my boxes all set to go to the book seller, and I took the Ptolus copy out and put it back on the shelf.

I blame Wooly.

MWAHAHAHAHA! My diabolical plan is working!

(Now I need to go figure out what that plan is, and how this helps accomplish it... )

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  21:50:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is "Ghoulworm"!

One of the nastiest nasty things ever!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  22:13:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what they should have done for Waterdeep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  22:32:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Would that be out of the question in the future? Do you think something like that could be pushed through the powers that be? With this transition to a new edition...no time like the present eh?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  22:41:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Mmmmm, big book of Waterdeep lore... Mmmmm </drooling Homer Simpson>

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  16:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

-- George Krashos

Would that be out of the question in the future? Do you think something like that could be pushed through the powers that be? With this transition to a new edition...no time like the present eh?

Sounds brilliant to me. "Waterdeep: City of Splendors," 500+ pages of lore, schemes, NPCs, campaign/adventure hooks, etc. . . .

Great. Now you've got me brainstorming. Thanks for that. (I *also* blame Wooly.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  19:00:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Sounds brilliant to me. "Waterdeep: City of Splendors," 500+ pages of lore, schemes, NPCs, campaign/adventure hooks, etc. . . .

Great. Now you've got me brainstorming. Thanks for that. (I *also* blame Wooly.)

Cheers

Only 500? I thought we were going for something like the Ptolus book...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  21:29:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to a trilogy of books...each with 500 or so pages.

Book one: the city

Book two: the under-city

Book three: the lands around

EDIT for itchy trigger finger

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 13 Mar 2013 21:33:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:36:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My vote goes to a trilogy of books...each with 500 or so pages.

Book one: the city

Book two: the under-city

Book three: the lands around

EDIT for itchy trigger finger

Something like the format for the original Iron Kingdoms RPG would be neat. Two books -- each around 300+ pages, and dividing the treatment of Waterdeeep between game mechanics in one book, and pure setting material in the second book.

Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  16:25:11  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I'd sooner they gave you the gig for a 300+ pages for Impiltur first George.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  17:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only 500? I thought we were going for something like the Ptolus book...
Hey, I said 500+. That + can easily be another 500 pages.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  01:18:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

quote:

-- George Krashos

The "Shut Up and Take My Money" internet meme would seem appropriate here.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  22:05:42  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big books of this size are not the extreme outliers they used to be. Paizo has a 400-something page anniversary edition of their Rise of the Runelords adventure path, Frog God games has two mega-dungeon adventures well in excess of this.

On the city setting front we have Ptolus, and presently Green Ronin is trying to kickstart their 500+ page Freeport hardcover.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  23:41:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

quote:

-- George Krashos

Paul, I appreciate the sentiment. I'm not sure I could do something like that on my own given the time constraints in my life, but a trip to GEN-CON next year might likely galvanise me to finish off the Impiltur Lineage, a few more swords from Soargar's Legacy (although the one I posted as a Xmas present on my thread didn't raise a ripple - I might need a new "shtick") and an Impiltur timeline. I do after all have to bring gifts!

And if WotC did come calling for an Impiltur book, well I think I would just have to find that time. It would be an opportunity too good to miss.

Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  03:33:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw this on Facebook... I've no idea how long the sale will last, so I recommend jumping all over it now -- The pdf of Ptolus, The City by the Spire is on sale for a mere $20!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  05:51:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just saw this on Facebook... I've no idea how long the sale will last, so I recommend jumping all over it now -- The pdf of Ptolus, The City by the Spire is on sale for a mere $20!

That's a great deal, and it's the perfect opportunity for those not already familiar with the awesome work Monte's put into this beast, to get copies for themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  23:14:19  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went for the Ptolus sale yesterday. It's actually a bundle with more than just the main Ptolus book. It also contains some smaller PDFs of related products, I think the players guide, the Banewarrens dungeon, the Chaositech supplement, etc. I haven't downloaded it yet because the download client bugged out from traffic last night.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  03:31:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Went for the Ptolus sale yesterday. It's actually a bundle with more than just the main Ptolus book. It also contains some smaller PDFs of related products, I think the players guide, the Banewarrens dungeon, the Chaositech supplement, etc. I haven't downloaded it yet because the download client bugged out from traffic last night.

Yeah, it took me multiple tries to get it to download.

I think the bundled stuff was on the CD that came with the Ptolus book -- because I already had most of it. I just didn't have the pdf of Ptolus, City by the Spire.

I've been wanting it for a while, but it's been rather cost-prohobitive. Until last night.

Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  17:02:59  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, I like this
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:24:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a new Kickstarter for Ptolus; the book is being redone for 5E and the Cypher System.

Ptolus: Monte Cook's City by the Spire

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2020 :  04:31:31  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a new Kickstarter for Ptolus; the book is being redone for 5E and the Cypher System.

Ptolus: Monte Cook's City by the Spire

Argh...I would love to pitch in for this, but I've already exhausted the missus' Kickstarter good will with backing Arcana of the Ancients. I think (from this point forward) unless a 5th Edition Kickstarter has its roots in either the Realms or Birthright (the two TSR worlds she knows I love), I am going to get exactly zero sympathy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000