Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Last Threshold (Spoilers BeWare)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Onyx1978
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  18:25:24  Show Profile Send Onyx1978 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I really got the book although Amazon told me that it would arrive on the 12th of March... just great. Even in good old Germany. ;-)
And no, I do not think that his death is final. But still itīs a dramatic change and scene. And I donīt think that his "murderer" was, how can I express it in English, that she was beneath him? I mean a lot of people say: Oh no, why Dahlia, she is just (fill in any insult you like). But I think dying for his principels fits more than dying in some great battle, going down in a bolt of glory or whatever. Not fighting back because you still at least care for the person that attacks you (ok, I know one person who is able to do it - my beloved husband... but of course we only fight with words, swords only in reenactment) - that is a moral victory. And thatīs the way Drizzt lived. So I am still sad, but somehow it also comforts me.
First reaction when I saw the book: I read the last pages with my husband, read it out loud. Drizzt was a companion not only for me for the last 19 years..... Second reaction: I am not ashamed to say I have dropped a little tear. Third: I cuddled one of my cats. That helped me somehow.....
Sorry for spelling or grammar, Iīm no native speaker.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  20:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...I just finished the book. And if that is really how Drizzt dies. For the first time since I began began reading Bob's books....I am highly disappointed. I can accept him dying a heroic death. Not the way it ended..through an act of cowardice (not by Drizzt). The Companions rectify this I hope.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  22:42:35  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure he'll be brought back for The Companions. This is "The Death of Superman" for the Realms. It will be undone!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  23:40:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'm sure he'll be brought back for The Companions. This is "The Death of Superman" for the Realms. It will be undone!

A cyborg Drizzt, a younger clone Drizzt, an energy-based Drizzt, and a powered-armor Drizzt?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  23:50:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know Dahlia has a tendency to kill her lovers (look out, Entreri!), so it's not too surprising, but disappointing. Still, better than having his guts ripped out by Errtu or something.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  01:21:10  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work. I cheated and read the back. I had to know!!!
I will say, some of the end is wonderful and moving. As far as the death....I don't want to give any more spoilers. Part of it did rip at my heart, but there are things that make me go "hmmmm". Just from what I read, I can get a sense maybe of The Sundering.
There does seem to be so much going on in this book. I will be delving into it this evening, unless my husband makes me wait so that I don't stay up all night reading. Which I tend to do with Drizzt books.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  02:37:10  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A cyborg Drizzt, a younger clone Drizzt, an energy-based Drizzt, and a powered-armor Drizzt?

No, that's not until they make the action figures!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  03:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

To be honest, what you say sounds like the reasoning of some child who wants to break the other children's toys because (s)he can't have what (s)he wants.

You wish to see Drizzt ''owned'' by Obould? Fine, that can easily happen in your Realms without any problem. People who want to read (even) more about the character are going to have a much harder time writing novels featuring him.

Same thing goes for many aspects of the Realms that some people don't like and thus want to see destroyed forever, even tho others enjoy them. Anyway, I'm digressing here.

What I am is vocal.

See, ever since I got into the realms I've had to listen to every other realms fan tell me how everything I enjoy about the realms is trash. About how it's horrible, poorly written garbage that needs to be retconned and flushed down the toilet.

Meanwhile I sit and listen to them talk about how much they love every aspect of the realms I hate, how they want to see more of it, how they hope it goes in every way I don't want it to go. This one big happy love fest of...I don't even know what to call it.

So, I take it upon myself to be the dissenting voice. To be the one guy who speaks up, who lets Wizards, the developers, the writers, and Ed know that there was one guy who thought killing Drizzt was a good idea, who thought the spellplague was a good idea, who thought killing Mystra was a good idea.

I do this in the vain hope that when 5e rolls around I don't have to sit back and watch everything I love about this setting circle the drain. I've watched too many settings ruined by that.

My opinions aren't always popular. I'm often in the minority on these issues. But they're issues I care about because I care about the setting, so I'm going to speak up about them.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  05:36:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work. I cheated and read the back. I had to know!!!
I will say, some of the end is wonderful and moving. As far as the death....I don't want to give any more spoilers. Part of it did rip at my heart, but there are things that make me go "hmmmm". Just from what I read, I can get a sense maybe of The Sundering.
There does seem to be so much going on in this book. I will be delving into it this evening, unless my husband makes me wait so that I don't stay up all night reading. Which I tend to do with Drizzt books.

My copy should arrive within the next day or so. I'll probably get teary-eyed at the end, but it doesn't sound like this is the end. What I am worrying about now is Guen's fate. I'm also curious to see if Valas is in it (though I hope it doesn't lead to his death) since BD seems to be back in action. But I would hate for Drizzt and Guen to be separated for life (at least until the true end of Drizzt's life). The answer RAS gave in and interview has me worried for the poor panther. I've always loved Guen. I'm a big animal lover. I'm not so much worried for her death (since she's technically an immortal being), but I am worried about her connection to Drizzt. I wish the Companions was coming out sooner! Bob said it was finished, but I guess it's a marketing technique. Let LT bring in cash and make fans wait.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  06:10:02  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

To be honest, what you say sounds like the reasoning of some child who wants to break the other children's toys because (s)he can't have what (s)he wants.

You wish to see Drizzt ''owned'' by Obould? Fine, that can easily happen in your Realms without any problem. People who want to read (even) more about the character are going to have a much harder time writing novels featuring him.

Same thing goes for many aspects of the Realms that some people don't like and thus want to see destroyed forever, even tho others enjoy them. Anyway, I'm digressing here.

What I am is vocal.

See, ever since I got into the realms I've had to listen to every other realms fan tell me how everything I enjoy about the realms is trash. About how it's horrible, poorly written garbage that needs to be retconned and flushed down the toilet.

Meanwhile I sit and listen to them talk about how much they love every aspect of the realms I hate, how they want to see more of it, how they hope it goes in every way I don't want it to go. This one big happy love fest of...I don't even know what to call it.

So, I take it upon myself to be the dissenting voice. To be the one guy who speaks up, who lets Wizards, the developers, the writers, and Ed know that there was one guy who thought killing Drizzt was a good idea, who thought the spellplague was a good idea, who thought killing Mystra was a good idea.

I do this in the vain hope that when 5e rolls around I don't have to sit back and watch everything I love about this setting circle the drain. I've watched too many settings ruined by that.

My opinions aren't always popular. I'm often in the minority on these issues. But they're issues I care about because I care about the setting, so I'm going to speak up about them.

You opinion is wrong!!!

Kidding. I'm the guy who was apparently the only person on the entire Internet who wanted Entreri to die in the last one. I'm happy I get to see him back now, although I'm only 1/3 of the way in so far. But I still would have loved to see that death in Charon's Claw. I know a thing of two about dissenting opinions.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  20:28:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just finished it and.......well crap....ive rarely finished a novel and felt the way i do about this ones end......

I don't care if there is more. Everyone told me to have faith, Bob is going to handle this one in a way that you'll be happy. What a sucker I am.

before this novel: Hyped to read the companions

after: bitter taste in my mouth and ready for a long, long break from the realms............how sad.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  20:30:59  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that i have read LT i am non too certain that D-boy even got wasted. I think he got "saved by the bell". Otherwise i have mixed feelings about the book. Some parts of it were great, others were not. My main issues are with IWD part. What bothers me most is that Wulfgars heirs should have gotten some air-time atleast like 3-6 pages. Also LT could have benefitted from 20-30 extra pages. (I know WOTC rules about pagelimits).
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  20:58:09  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

just finished it and.......well crap....ive rarely finished a novel and felt the way i do about this ones end......

I don't care if there is more. Everyone told me to have faith, Bob is going to handle this one in a way that you'll be happy. What a sucker I am.

after: bitter taste in my mouth and ready for a long, long break from the realms............how sad.

Now I want to read this. But come on, you really think the Companions won't undo all the bad done in The Last Threshold? Have faith that the next book will get us all back on track in The Realms. Because 4th edition/Spell Plague/Time Jump did to me what this book did to you.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  21:07:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:

Now I want to read this. But come on, you really think the Companions won't undo all the bad done in The Last Threshold? Have faith that the next book will get us all back on track in The Realms. Because 4th edition/Spell Plague/Time Jump did to me what this book did to you.

Dont get me wrong .....Im not upset because he "died"

Im fine with any characters death if its well done(now isnt that subjective).......but once again with my man Bob, it's how it went down, just brutal. When Wulgar was denied his rightful plkace with his god and ancestors, i was disappointed, but was like ok I guess....then when Cattie and Regis were given their unbelievable fates....I was like no , never again.....but yep, he did it again

And Im sure you and many others are right with whats to come with the companions, and I was kinda ready for that. But now, Im not sure I care.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 06 Mar 2013 21:08:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:22:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What I am is vocal.

I didn't want in any way to say that you can't express your opinion, that'd be extremely stupid. What I meant is that the Realms should be comprehensive and vast: there's no need to ask for the destruction of some element, or to say how trash something other people enjoy is, you can simply focus and pick what you like. I don't think you'd be happy if Asmodeus was killed in some ridiculous way and Baator imploded, the reason of it being ''we need to shake things, stuff like Baator is so old school''. If wizards started listening to everyone who wished some concept s(he) disliked to be obliterated, the whole FR would be gone by now. The setting has got enough space for a wide spectrum of preferences.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Mar 2013 00:37:36
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  01:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

What I am is vocal.

I didn't want in any way to say that you can't express your opinion, that'd be extremely stupid. What I meant is that the Realms should be comprehensive and vast: there's no need to ask for the destruction of some element, or to say how trash something other people enjoy is, you can simply focus and pick what you like. I don't think you'd be happy if Asmodeus was killed in some ridiculous way and Baator imploded, the reason of it being ''we need to shake things, stuff like Baator is so old school''. If wizards started listening to everyone who wished some concept s(he) disliked to be obliterated, the whole FR would be gone by now. The setting has got enough space for a wide spectrum of preferences.

And yet, plenty of people would love for Asmodeus to be killed off and Baator to explode- mainly in backlash for the whole, killing Azuth thing, but still.

I get what you're saying, but I believe that sooner or later, characters need to die. There's a point where a character's story needs to end. Sometimes it's when you've said all you've had to say with them, sometimes it's because you've reached the natural conclusion of their tale.

Now, I don't know what the motivation for killing Drizzt is. Maybe it's a set up for a big come back or a series of planeswalking tales that I won't read. Or maybe Bob honestly feels it's time to put the character down to rest. If Bob feels that Drizzt has run his course then let him put him down.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  01:49:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LT came today, and I told myself I would not look at the last page, but...I did. I haven't read the rest of the book, so I can't build up a whole lot of feelings about the book yet, but...hmm. I have other Realms books I want to read, so I'm going to try and get through LT quickly (as quickly as college will let me), and get to something that makes me happier.

I hope the Companions is indeed about Drizzt, and maybe deals more with Iraduun. I have said my case several times already (sorry if people are getting tired of it), but there are still things that need to be addressed. Zak's spirit told Drizzt they'd meet again, is Iraduun a part of the Deep Wilds (I think that's the name of Mielikki's realms as of 4e), what will happen to Guen? Poor kitty is alone now, and she loved Drizzt. These are things I want addressed.

It's funny, during the last few books, a part of me wanted Drizzt to die, because I felt the story was going on too long and Bob was getting tired of writing about him. But now that it's happened...I want there to be more, even just one more book. I want more things to be explained, and then I might feel better. It could have been worse, but it could have been better, too. I am an idealist, and I could list out my idea of a perfect ending that still involves the death of Drizzt, but I won't, unless people want me to.

This just makes me hate Dahlia more, but...she does have a habit of killing her lovers, so it's not entirely unexpected. Still, I won't cry over her death. Even Entreri could do better.

@CoA: you and I disagree on a lot of things, and we like/hate different things about the Realms. I do, however, feel like I'm in the minority sometimes, and I wonder if WotC listens to most of us, anyway *shrugs*

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:17:09  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read this thread beyond the first couple of posts, so I know Drizzt "dies" but I don't know how...but I have no willpower and can't seem to stay away. All I want to say is that Drizzt isn't going to stay dead. There is no way that WotC or RAS for that matter would kill off their biggest money maker, especially when they are trying to kick off and boost sales for the newest new era of D&D. Killing Drizzt would give you a one time sales boost, but screw the company (and RAS's future royalties) for future books. Yes there would be some people happy, but the vast majority would be upset and sales would wane. There is also this about the Sundering:

This latest installment in New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore's beloved fantasy saga, The Companions moves Salvatore's signature hero Drizzt into a new era of the Forgotten Realms. As Drizzt's fate hangs in the balance, he reflects on the lives of the trusted allies who stood by his side throughout his early life--the friends now known as the Companions of the Hall. Meanwhile, the first stirrings of the Sundering begin.

And Drizzt and Gwens pictures are on the cover. So I don't know the details, but they will be back....oh and probably some or all of the rest of the CotH (as I speculated several months ago in a previous post), mark my words. :)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:18:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Jornan: I hope your right, but I do agree, based on the Companions, that this isn't the end. And you're right, Drizzt and Guen are on the cover.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:35:20  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who have read the book: I let my husband read the epilogue. He says it does not read as though someone is dead and gone for good. Of course, he might be saying that to appease me.

Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  08:40:44  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

For those who have read the book: I let my husband read the epilogue. He says it does not read as though someone is dead and gone for good. Of course, he might be saying that to appease me.

Well finally somebody agrees with me. I am actually quite surprised that everybody says that Drizzt got wasted. It is never stated in LT that he did. I admit that LT ending surely could be conceive as death.
Go to Top of Page

Raknirok
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  11:09:55  Show Profile Send Raknirok a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it says right in the book dalhia had slain him if you read it
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  15:46:21  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raknirok

But we've seen words appearing as definitive as those before not prove to be true. I'm not going to commit to either speculative camp here, not only because I don't want to look like a fool later on, but because I really don't care. Maybe "i don't care," isnt quite the right expression, since I dont mean it as a flippant "it doesn't matter, I haven't liked the last few books or enjoyed the direction he's been heading in for the entire Neverwinter saga anyway." I'm much more interested in The Companions, having finished this, than I was before. All of the event hinting at what's coming with the Sundering were some of the better parts of this novel, in my opinion. The ending did give me a pretty decent sense of everything returning to the beginning, mainly in the Errtu battle in Icewind Dale. I'm not sure how I felt in terms of the sudden 18 year gap, and Tiago's role/being the new hero of Ten-Towns. But I know I didn't hate it. If he is dead, I'm cool with that. On the one hand, I've had enough of Drizzt stories as we know them, with his heroics as the focus of the tale. On the other hand, it doesn't mean I won't miss him entirely, and in that respect I won't mind at all to find out he's not really dead (or to have him back in whatever capacity, if he is dead). I'll take whatever we're given in the next book, and don't have a fraction of the strong opinions regarding the end of this one like I did with the last.

Another thing I thought was kind of cool, was the part where Drizzt was Draygo Quick's captive, shades of the time way, way back when he was trapped in the illithid hive. Mot at least that's what it felt like to me.

It's by no means my favorite book of this series, that distinction goes to the second book for probably the same reason, as one of the things I liked least about this one. The combat scenes. Now, bear in mind this disclaimer: I think RAS does combat scenes, particularly melee, better than most I've had the experience reading. They drew me in before any of the characters ever did, for what reason I'm not entirely sure. Now, toward the last dozen or so books, I've skimmed a lot of them. After having read so many of them, they sort of started to blend together and I found myself picking out words and phrases that became ultra-respetitve to me pertaining to that specific book. Wulfgar slamming the hammer home, being the first example. The use of the word circuit in this book, if I were going to point out another. The introduction of Afrafrafarfafaane (man, why was he the one who survived? parbid is so much easier to spell), and the focus on monk combat style was kind of cool, but none of it held that last hurrah of magic that I was hoping I'd feel (obviously, not arcane or any other school of magic, but "magic" in that intangible sense, giddiness felt as a reader as a totally awesome fight sequence plays out). In contrast, I wholly fell for it in the battle where Drizzt and Entreri are fighting together after so friggin' long, once again, and not as enemies, so on and so forth. I liked that a lot. I wasn't expecting, demanding, or even wishing that Drizzt would die in the most epic of epic battle scenes or anything. But I do tend to measure a good deal of my opinion on my own perceived quality of the battle scenes, and they were too few and far between, involving either new characters I dislike (I'm thinking Tiago at the end), or while Jarlaxle's rescue in the Shadowfell initially did bring a smile to my face, it ended so quickly without real resolution (but then again, that has always been Jarlaxle's way) that my face resumed its normal, dour* expression.

I only poke fun at those reccrimg words and phrases (*dour being used to describe Entreri six times) out of light-hearted fun. It's kind of like how when I used to watch Law & Order, I used to mentally keep track of how often those bronze lion statues would reappear as props in the offices of different suspects throughout episodes. Hey, I'm making fun of myself, too. I mean, I don't think I'm always scowling, but I swear I must hear a sarcastic "wow, you look thrilled to be here!" or similar comment on a regular basis to think that maybe there was some truth to the whole "you keep making that face, eventually it will stay that way" thing. Hah. Now, with that in mind, ten points to the person who can guess what one of my favorite Entreri-Jarlaxle exchanges may be?

Edited by - Yoss on 07 Mar 2013 15:54:01
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  18:40:38  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really didn't like the whole "kimmuriel mind wipes jarlaxle absolving him of all possible wrong doing in the Artemis/Shade debacle".

While I think it is possible and likely that Kimmuriel and Matron Quenthal would help the Netherese get the sword back from Artemis to avoid being destroyed or Jarlaxle being destroyed; that Kimmuriel would go ahead and MINDWIPE Jarlaxle's memories (how would he even do that with the eye patch?) to stop him from rescueing Artemis is just plain old plot contrivance. And poor contrivance at that.

The use of Kimmuriel as a Deus Ex Machina for Bob is starting to grate.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  00:35:01  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drizzt believes that to be the case.
But...I do not want to go into it more in case of spoilers. I mean, the book has been out 2 days.
But I will say, usually blood alone is not enough to prove a death. And if this was a video game, there is no loot to pick up.

But, I agree. I could be wrong. We will find out when we see how his life is in the balance in The Companions (come August).

I have seen how this story is such a replay of his life. I cannot remember the name of the elf he saved on his blooding excursion, but he did not kill her for the same reason. He was saved by his friends, even when he was being dumb.
I cannot wait until August. I have a lot to chew on.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  01:43:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

LT came today, and I told myself I would not look at the last page, but...I did. I haven't read the rest of the book, so I can't build up a whole lot of feelings about the book yet, but...hmm. I have other Realms books I want to read, so I'm going to try and get through LT quickly (as quickly as college will let me), and get to something that makes me happier.

I hope the Companions is indeed about Drizzt, and maybe deals more with Iraduun. I have said my case several times already (sorry if people are getting tired of it), but there are still things that need to be addressed. Zak's spirit told Drizzt they'd meet again, is Iraduun a part of the Deep Wilds (I think that's the name of Mielikki's realms as of 4e), what will happen to Guen? Poor kitty is alone now, and she loved Drizzt. These are things I want addressed.

It's funny, during the last few books, a part of me wanted Drizzt to die, because I felt the story was going on too long and Bob was getting tired of writing about him. But now that it's happened...I want there to be more, even just one more book. I want more things to be explained, and then I might feel better. It could have been worse, but it could have been better, too. I am an idealist, and I could list out my idea of a perfect ending that still involves the death of Drizzt, but I won't, unless people want me to.

This just makes me hate Dahlia more, but...she does have a habit of killing her lovers, so it's not entirely unexpected. Still, I won't cry over her death. Even Entreri could do better.

@CoA: you and I disagree on a lot of things, and we like/hate different things about the Realms. I do, however, feel like I'm in the minority sometimes, and I wonder if WotC listens to most of us, anyway *shrugs*

Well if I find out Dahlia is not in the companions, I will read for sure. I've had my fill of that character. It's different for every reader, but for me she is the least developed of any of bobs characters I can remember. Everything about her feels forced and contrived. When she was first introduced I had the thought that she was strictly created to be the death of Drizzt, and that turned me off her from the start

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Mar 2013 19:56:45
Go to Top of Page

Raknirok
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  02:18:45  Show Profile Send Raknirok a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was disappointed there was little or no story told from the perspective of Entreri some of my favorite reading is getting inside his head
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  03:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It also says Artemis "killed" Drizzt in Neverwinter when they meet up ( referring to the battle in The Silent Blade). So it still really can't be taken seriously yet. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  04:45:01  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was disappointed there was little or no story told from the perspective of Entreri some of my favorite reading is getting inside his head

Amen. And while it may just be cos I'm biased towards that character in general, I felt like he got shafted at times. There was one quote where he sounded like Entreri, whereas the rest was a lot more telling than showing--constantly calling his expression dour, referring to him as the dangerous man. And he did a lot of quiet talking to Dalhia as Drizzt observed. There were a good half dozen points toward the end where the two of them were talking to each other quietly, what on earth were they talking about? I understood the scenes where they were together and mostly just sitting, because that strikes me as entirely in character for them. I'll accept that they had private conversations, but I can't imagine they were always discussing their pasts as they travelled along the road, having deep, revealing conversations with such possibility of interruption. But they did a lot of talking, and I want to know what was said.

I mean, I realize the book wasn't about Entreri. I'm not saying it should have been. But I would have liked to see him as a little bit more than furniture, filling out the group.

The other thing that dawned on me a little while ago...what of the loose end with the succubus? She cast that enchantment on Entreri to spy on him (dude got...um...quite a bit of action in this one...cough wink cough immature cough) them we never saw her again throughout the rest of the book. Going to file that one away out of curiosity to see if anything ever comes of it.

Edited by - Yoss on 08 Mar 2013 05:19:06
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  05:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yoss: She actually did show up when Effron saught her out to find the group. But you're right no other mention of her connection to Entreri.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000