Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Last Threshold (Spoilers BeWare)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  21:58:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle is a very popular character, and I certainly wouldn't complain if he became a lead character. I love Jarlaxle, but I'm not quite ready to let go of Drizzt yet.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  23:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
But now that it's actually happening...I change my mind. I guess the extent of the impact will depend on how he dies, and what happens to him afterwards. If he ends up with his friends, I'll cry but smile. If it just says "and then he died, and there was darkness", well...I might want to throw the book (I don't actually throw books, though). But, oh, I worry for Guen too.

All that said, I am so excited to see Jarlaxle again

I've always thought it'd be interesting if Jarlaxle took a more definite chaotic good/neutral path and kept Guen as his own. She'd be kind of his guide to the "path of light/neutrality" and a connection to an old, now gone acquaintance. Mind, since I finished Ghost King, I haven't read any but the first few pages of Gauntlgrym. I'm still too sad over Regis' death, so if things have progressed so this isn't likely, I apologize.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  00:34:31  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Drizzt and all the Companions of the Hall will be back in the Companions. Come on now. Let's be serious.

Anyway, Love that Jarlaxle is back. Can anyone tell if Kimmuriel is prominently featured in The Last Threshold? I was waiting for the Companions to pick up with Drizzt again but if Kim is in it I'll get this one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  01:00:03  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'm sure Drizzt and all the Companions of the Hall will be back in the Companions. Come on now. Let's be serious.

Anyway, Love that Jarlaxle is back. Can anyone tell if Kimmuriel is prominently featured in The Last Threshold? I was waiting for the Companions to pick up with Drizzt again but if Kim is in it I'll get this one.

I do not know if Kim is or not, though I wouldn't mind seeing him again, either. I'd like to see Valas, again too. If Bregon D'earthe is featured in LT, then it is a possibility Kim will be present. Oh, what Jarl and Entreri might do if/when they see each other again! That will be interesting in itself.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  03:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a reader on another site posted some some encouraging reviews. The ending in his words doesn't seem as as definitive as I was lead to believe. Kind of brightens my day a bit. :-).
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  04:57:53  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible for you to post the link to that site? This has been on my mind a lot (yup, I'm invested in Drizzt, and the Realms as a whole), so anything that might lessen the pain would be nice. I'm dreading LT yet really want to read it at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  05:20:10  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given all the drow trying to settle Gauntlgrym, and the reemergence of Jarlaxle, I would be certain that Bregan Daerthe is involved. In all likelihood, Jarlaxle called on Kimmuriel to get him out of whatever plane he and Athrogate were trapped in.

And not to burst your bubble, but ever since Road of the Patriarch, I've hoped Entreri would have the chance to kill Kimmuriel. I enjoy Kimmuriel's interactions with Jarlaxle, and I love psions, but Kimmuriel is the one character in RAS's stories who has never been put in his place. He's just so smug and condescending, especially to Entreri.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  07:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would it be possible for you to post the link to that site? This has been on my mind a lot (yup, I'm invested in Drizzt, and the Realms as a whole), so anything that might lessen the pain would be nice. I'm dreading LT yet really want to read it at the same time.

http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/6107/Pleas-tell-Last-Threshold-HEAVY-POSSIBLE-SPOILER?page=2#.UTL8inQo7qA

I'm not sure if you can see all the comments without being registered (sometimes I I can't withouth being logged in). But the poster (Drayen) hae been a long time poster. So I take his review positively. I'm pretty sure what happens ...happens. But now I'm not as convinced it's a permanent thing:-)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  11:25:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am holding on to the hope that Drizzt will be resurrected during the Sundering.
There should be plenty of opportunities for RAS to accomplish that.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  11:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that I honestly, truly hope this is true, and that after the Companions Drizzt is laid to rest so we can finally move on.

But no one listens to me, anyway.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  13:47:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^You will be able to move on even if Drizzt is somehow brought back (which, honestly, would look a bit like the 'He's dead...aaaand he's back' kind of stuff IMO. But I know basically nothing about the matter, so I may very well be wrong). This 'the Realms are yours to use' thingy has been repeated so many times that it has become some kind of motto.

However, if there many people are still interested in Drizzt's story and if the author can write valid and interesting plots, I see no reason to get rid of this character.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Mar 2013 14:08:20
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  14:30:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping the reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated and it is truly his monologues that have died forever and ever.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  16:40:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

quote:

http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/6107/Pleas-tell-Last-Threshold-HEAVY-POSSIBLE-SPOILER?page=2#.UTL8inQo7qA

I'm not sure if you can see all the comments without being registered (sometimes I I can't withouth being logged in). But the poster (Drayen) hae been a long time poster. So I take his review positively. I'm pretty sure what happens ...happens. But now I'm not as convinced it's a permanent thing:-)

I might have to contirbute to that thread. I'm a member of that site, but I rarely go on. Hey, maybe when Drizzt does die he'll see Zak again! When his spirit came to him in Passage of Dawn, he said they'd meet again.

As I said, it will depend on where Drizzt spirit goes that will either lessen the pain or increase it. But, it does sound like the Companions will feature Drizzt, so...let us hope LT isn't the end.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  18:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

^You will be able to move on even if Drizzt is somehow brought back (which, honestly, would look a bit like the 'He's dead...aaaand he's back' kind of stuff IMO. But I know basically nothing about the matter, so I may very well be wrong). This 'the Realms are yours to use' thingy has been repeated so many times that it has become some kind of motto.

However, if there many people are still interested in Drizzt's story and if the author can write valid and interesting plots, I see no reason to get rid of this character.

People who like Drizzt have never cared what I wanted. Why should I care what they want? I will profess my desire to see him rot until the day I die and celebrate his demise with an ice cold beer when I read the book.

As it stands, none of us are getting what we want. For Drizzt fans, he dies. For me, Obould doesn't come down from Nishrek and mount Drizzt's head on a pike. At least I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen, because RAS has never gone out of his way to please me before.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  20:54:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, what you say sounds like the reasoning of some child who wants to break the other children's toys because (s)he can't have what (s)he wants.

You wish to see Drizzt ''owned'' by Obould? Fine, that can easily happen in your Realms without any problem. People who want to read (even) more about the character are going to have a much harder time writing novels featuring him.

Same thing goes for many aspects of the Realms that some people don't like and thus want to see destroyed forever, even tho others enjoy them. Anyway, I'm digressing here.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Mar 2013 21:13:12
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  22:22:44  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I'm hoping the reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated and it is truly his monologues that have died forever and ever.

Maybe the nib on his quill finally wore all the way down?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  01:41:52  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

Given all the drow trying to settle Gauntlgrym, and the reemergence of Jarlaxle, I would be certain that Bregan Daerthe is involved. In all likelihood, Jarlaxle called on Kimmuriel to get him out of whatever plane he and Athrogate were trapped in.

And not to burst your bubble, but ever since Road of the Patriarch, I've hoped Entreri would have the chance to kill Kimmuriel. I enjoy Kimmuriel's interactions with Jarlaxle, and I love psions, but Kimmuriel is the one character in RAS's stories who has never been put in his place. He's just so smug and condescending, especially to Entreri.

What about that jerk in Sojourn that killed one of Dove's friends, hunted Drizzt like a dog to the ends of the earth, and other than being humbled by Drizzt and Bruenor walked away scott free? Dove never tracked him down for killing her friend and other atrocities? Kimmuriel, by Drow standards, isn't so bad a guy. By drow standards. Which admittedly, are pretty low :) But yeah, I hope you're wrong and Artemis and Kimmuriel don't fight. I like both of them!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  04:32:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm pathetic. This stuff is affecting my sleep

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  13:05:41  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wish the topic read as "The Last Threshold (heavy spoilers ahead)" rather than the current one which begs to be opened. I can't help but think the OP purposely made the topic obscure so he can spoil that for the people here.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  13:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

I really wish the topic read as "The Last Threshold (heavy spoilers ahead)" rather than the current one which begs to be opened. I can't help but think the OP purposely made the topic obscure so he can spoil that for the people here.

No. Within the first couple of sentences of my first post explains what the spoilers were pertaining to. I am positive I gave fair warning before readers chose to continue reading. No misdirection was intended. Readers proceeded to read by choice. :-)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  16:58:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too wish The Last Threshold had been in the title of the scroll.....i would have read it the previous day!

But in all seriousness.....I dont have to time to read every new scroll, usually just those that catch my eye.....and I know I had passed this one over on a visit here, but luckily next time I came back i had a bit more time to dig around.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:29:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizztsmanchild, I read Dryen's review (well, the end of it anyway. I wanted some surprises), and it was a little comforting. If anyone wants the link, I can give it.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:41:43  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy is on it's way and will be here tomorrow. I have a feeling I am going to cheat when it gets here though.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:45:05  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is on it's way too. I have a bad habit of looking at the last page...

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:54:33  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually don't. I have skipped through Drizzt books and read the essay's first on occassion. But usually I read it cover to cover. But this time, I may not be able to help myself.
Of course, this time...
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  04:14:32  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol. I left a review of the book the other day on Bob's site. had it for awhile, but could not start reading it until i finished the wheel of time finale. Which was more than worth the 20 years I spent reading that series.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  04:16:57  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you manage to get the book early? And the Wheel of Time is an awesome series! I have Memory of Light, but haven't read it yet. There are some more FR books I want to read first.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  06:26:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and is Valas Hune in there by any chance?

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  07:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How did you manage to get the book early? And the Wheel of Time is an awesome series! I have Memory of Light, but haven't read it yet. There are some more FR books I want to read first.

Reviewers often get a copy of the book early. And sometimes retailers put the book out early as well.Lucky bastiches I'm jealous. Lol. Here it is 2:39 am march 5 and I'm still waiting for Kindle to "auto deliver wireless" on my phone.

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 05 Mar 2013 07:42:11
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  18:01:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a kindle, but I prefer my Realms books to be in physical form. Some are on my kindle though

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000