Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What was your favorite Realms-Shaking Event?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  13:09:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
In order to be more positive nowadays, I bring you the following question. We all have talked about what we don't like about RSEs, but what RSE DID you think was good/fun/etc.?

Choices:

Abolethic Sovereignty
Abyssal Plague
Death of King Azoun IV
Death of Mask
The Rage of Dragons
Reclamation of Myth Drannor
The Spellplague
Time of Troubles
The Tuigan Horde
Other (please descibe below)

(Anonymous Vote)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:38:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before I vote, a question... can we instead choose our 'least hated' RSE?

I think the entire Tuigan Horde affair could have been handled better (both by the designer/authors and the in-game NPCs). I didn't hate it, but I think there was plenty of room for improvement.

And yes, that is the best thing I can say about any of the above (and I am oblivious to a couple of them, since they appeared in series I did not read).

Strangely, the Spellplague might come in at #2, only because a lot of what I said about the Tuigan Horde could also be applied to the 3e/4e transition.

EDIT: LOL - I just re-read your post and realized I totally blew your 'lets be positive' approach. Sorry.

At least I didn't bash the Spellplague - I find it a very useful tool for DMs to hand-tweak their Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2013 15:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  16:49:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't consider anything other than the Time of Troubles or the Spellplague to be true RSEs.

Of the two, I like the Spellplague more because it gave us a chance to see the Realms grow and change, and so we've gotten a lot more history and lore about places like Waterdeep and Cormyr. We've gotten a lot of information detailing the Realms in the Year of the Ageless one, as well as the time in between (to a lesser degree), that the Realms seems more alive to me then ever

One thing I liked about the ToT were the post-ToT novels in the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy. Those were good reads (I still have my original novel copies) and I liked the Rangers Three. I hope we get to learn more about them someday.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  17:08:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh, Im with Jeremy in that the ToT and the SP are the only true RSE listed IMO. Of those two I actually liked the ToT but disliked how it 'ended' (I generally have a problem with mortals becoming greater deities overnight). Unlike Jeremy, however, I absolutely hated the SP and all its retconned changes to the Realms. Sorry I couldn't be more positive sir.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  17:58:40  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Markus I voted for 'least hated' RSE. My vote was for the Reclamation of Myth Drannor. I disagree with Jeremy and Arcanamach, in that I consider all the things on the list RSE's.

I liked the *CONCEPT* of Elves returning to reclaim Myth Drannor. I just disliked everything about how it was handled and executed, mainly because I can't wrap my mind around the humans in the region openly accepting a militarily powerful group just showing up and establishing a nation right there in their midst.

Throw on top of this that Sembia has a historical dislike of Elves...

...just ugh. In my Realms, it happened but there is severe tension between the Elves, the Dales, and Cormyr (which has conquered Sembia). I drew VERY loosely from the Israeli and Palestinian conflict in the real world, and did my best to make things not appear so cut and dry. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' side - both sides have legitimate complaints against the other, and there are various groups who work diligently to provoke further conflict.

The Eldreth Veluuthra are major players in the region, especially within Myth Drannor. Suffice it to say, the region is very unstable - Cormyr is the counter balance that keeps Myth Drannor in check - but it's Imperialistic ambitions also endanger the freedom of the Dales. The Dales themselves are forced to navigate very unfavorable political waters, constantly striving to keep both their independence and their freedom.

That's just the way I like it. Ugly, messy, and complicated. Such a sad missed opportunity in the canon Realms, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  18:48:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the listed choices...

Abolethic Sovereignty -- I didn't know this was a RSE. I don't like the addition of the Sovereignty into the Realms, so I'm voting against it

Abyssal Plague -- I know nothing about this one. I'm inclined to vote against it, because of my general dislike of almost everything post-4E

Death of King Azoun IV -- I'd not call this an RSE, but it was fairly well handled -- except for the part where Vangey was in that odd dimension. I didn't care for that part at all.

Death of Mask -- See the Abyssal Plague

The Rage of Dragons -- My only complaint on this one is that it did not, to me, feel like it was affecting all of the Realms. It felt too localized.

Reclamation of Myth Drannor -- This one I enjoyed, save for the way the epilogue wrapped it up

The Spellplague -- Oh, let me count the ways in which I do not like this one!

Time of Troubles -- I came aboard the Realms while this was happening, so I've not had any issues with it.

The Tuigan Horde -- I enjoyed this one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  19:13:09  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm

Abyssal Plague, was that a FR thing or just a WOTC writing books together from various crystal spheres?

Ab Sov - I kind of loved, but felt it did not do much, but I did enjoy watching the explanation of the new warlock system, and the dream mage girl.

Dead King- Havent seen

Death Of mask - Pissed me off,as it made me start to love mask, as I saw him less as the typical LE gods of pickpockets and more of a LN deity that viewed theift as a matter of minor issues of morality rather then highly evil act. I am looking forward to him being added back in 5E, but the writer of that seris seems to have left WOTC payroll.

Rage of Dragons -- No biggie, no love or hate, just unmemorable , but it gave me brimstone the vamp dragon and the only part I cherish is that creature .

Myth Drannor - give me books please to read up on it

Spellplauge -- did not enjoy the time jump, but enjoying the new tools writers have now, for outside the box magic systems.

Time of troubles -- What I love about FR is that the gods are stomping around the realms all day long, instead of being loftey and only prayed to.

Tuigan horde - The empires books ...are a balance between decent and utterly sucking.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  19:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am bouncing between Tugian Horde and Reclamation of Myth Drannor. Eventually I will vote for one of those two.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  22:43:12  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Reclamation of Myth Drannor. As much as I enjoyed being a player and entering Myth Drannor (and all its inherent dangers) or being a DM and subjecting my players to the same, I was also happy to see it restored to "elvendom."

The one I liked the least was the Spellplague, because it did away with much of what I thought was the Realms. In hindsight, it game me the impetus to come up with my own homebrew world (and the four campaigns in that world), as well as my current Realms campaign, where the players are trying to stop Shar and Cyric, though they don't necessarily know what they're doing yet...

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  22:48:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the choices above, I'm going with the Spellplague. Not only is it the one that suppoerts my favorite edition of the game, 90% of the changes I agree with (aside from the time jump).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  00:38:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abolethic Sovereignty -- I thoroughly enjoyed this saga, but I attribute that more to my love of the aboleths and Bruce Cordell's work on the Realms.

Abyssal Plague -- I've yet to read the books featuring the Abyssal Plague Saga, so I can neither say "yay" or "nay" regarding my interest in it.

Death of King Azoun IV -- Another favourite, but I'm not so sure it qualifies as an RSE. Rather, I'd see it more as a CSE [Cormyr Shaking Event].

Death of Mask -- Again, not a saga I'm familiar with at the moment, so my answer for the Abyssal Plague applies here as well.

The Rage of Dragons -- A particular favourite, due in no small part to Byers' masterful way with Realmslore.

Reclamation of Myth Drannor -- I'm all over the place with this one. There are parts I really liked, some that left me scratching my head, and others that I felt needed more elaboration.

The Spellplague -- Similar to my thinking on the "Reclamation," but, perhaps, with a little more interest in the parts I really liked.

Time of Troubles -- For most people, this set the standard for the "typical" RSE in the Realms. It's for that reason that I see it in a special way.

The Tuigan Horde -- Probably my second favourite RSE in the Realmslore. This entire saga was both expertly handled, and I loved the way for almost a decade afterward, the Realms was still feeling the effects of the Horde. Good stuff!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  01:12:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
voted other

the only RSE i like was the decision to run as much of new realms design as possible by Ed ...that is the only thing that gives me hope.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  02:20:04  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Time of Troubles because of several reasons. I first made my steps in the Realms in this era of publication. I also like the philosophical implications it had on Faerun, as the gods walked the surface and therefore are unrefutable in their presence in the Realms. It's storyline was also responcable for the greatest CRPG of its time, the Baldurs Gate series, which played with the Time of Troubles premise in a wonderful plotline.

The Tuigan Horde & Death of Azoun I don't know enough about, but it definately happened in my homebrew FR campaigns. The Rage of Dragons and Lolth's Silence never happened, and probably never will.

I have a morbid interest in the Spellplague. It brought about a couple of very interesting large scale ideas, but in doing so often ripped apart the delicately balanced local realmslore that came before. I think with proper attention to detail the rich tapestry can be rewoven over the Realms' meriad interesting locations. My FR campaigns haven't passed the 100 year timegap, and probably dont need to for awhile.

Abolythic Soverignity, the Twilight War and the Reclamation of Myth Drannor are other ones I approved of and have incorporated into my 1374 DR+ campaigns, and the Abyssal Plague might have some planar metaplot and lore that I can salvage for my future campaigns.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  06:13:59  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted "other". I've yet to find a RSE I liked, sadly. I had major issues with all of them. The Horde invasion probably the best of the bunch.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  07:37:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No vote, and my "RSE" preference would be the return of Shade, the Shadowstorm, Shadow Weave, Shadowcetera. A new (evil!) player crowding the map and a measured dose of deific influence without resorting to sloppy (and repetitive) exploding of gods and continents. Thay and the Zulkirs and Old Szass Tammy interest me as well, but their grand aspirations are always thwarted and have little lasting effect on the Realms beyond troubling a handful of heroes within their local borders.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Feb 2013 08:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  11:09:22  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Death of Mask, as it was set during my favorite trilogy and was the most poignant event of all.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  12:25:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Other: The Return of Shade. Must I count the ways?

The Twilight War, I also approve of. Though it's more localized than Realms-spanning.

Rage of Dragons is fine, too, except that when I think of it, I remember a handful of characters in the novels that I didn't particularly like.

The Abolethic Sovereignty, I have mixed feelings with. I found the return of ancient aboleths to be interesting, with a promise of great adventures for those dedicated to stop them. But the books didn't exactly "wow" me.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  12:28:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

The Death of Mask, as it was set during my favorite trilogy and was the most poignant event of all.
I don't think of it as death. It's more like a necessary "reboot" for a future "upgrade."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  12:59:18  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I don't think of it as death. It's more like a necessary "reboot" for a future "upgrade."

Well of course , Mask always has a plan.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  15:07:42  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 'other' to mean in my case, none. I don't like the concept.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  16:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the Invasion of the Tugian Horde since I think that it caused the least amount of continuity issues.
I did really enjoy the Reclamation of Myth Drannor, but there were a few continuity issues with it. In my opinion, if there is going to be an RSE, it should resolve continuity issues, not cause them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 21 Feb 2013 16:41:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  23:32:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reclamation of Myth Drannor. Something good came out of it.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  00:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think even listing the Abyssal Plague here is kind of realms-centric; it wasn't focused on the realms, didn't have a big impact on the realms, just kind of touched on the realms and moved on. Might be considered a Nerath-shattering event, but not a realms-shattering event.

Honestly I think we need to drop the term completely. They're crisis crossovers, nothing more, nothing less. They're not unique to the realms, nor are they any more common in the realms than in any other given setting.

Ok, with that little rant over, I'm going to vote for the Spellplague. Minority opinion, but I thought the good that came of it outweighed the bad, in quality if not quantity.

And while everyone has the right to their opinion, I think there's more than a little nostalgia coloring the ToT for it to be in the lead.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  02:03:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose other:

Fall of Netheril

It opened up a great deal of dungeon territory and created a cool feature of the Forgotten Realms (that being a giant honking desert).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  04:21:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

And while everyone has the right to their opinion, I think there's more than a little nostalgia coloring the ToT for it to be in the lead.

I'm disinclined to agree. The Horde Invasion wasn't too long after the ToT, and it's not getting any love. If nostalgia was the only factor, the second oldest RSE listed should be a lot higher.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  12:16:02  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was a bit shocked as well, and I'm going to chock it up to nostalgia. After you see something like the Spellplague and the time jump that accompanied it, it tends to make horrific events like the ToT more acceptable by comparison. In fact, I think the Spellplague and the time jump have impacted people to such a degree that it's redefined RSE - making some of the smaller RSE (by comparison) seem insignificant.

Just using the second most popular RSE on the list as an example, the Reclamation of Myth Drannor might seem like a small regional event. But that's only if you lack an understanding of how interconnected the Realms is and gloss over the short and long term implications. Just the simple act of it happening marks the end to an entire era for the Elves of Toril, which have been in retreat for centuries. It might even seem like a big deal, until you consider the geopolitical and economic impact it'll have on the entire region. Unfortunately, that seems to have been largely danced over.

I mean just try to envision how this would play out in the real world. Let's say that something magical suddenly happens. Over the course of a few months Great Britain and it's citizens are transported to a newly created magical area in the very heartland of the United States. There is no destruction or damage caused. The land simply parts out in the wilderness, roads are magically lengthened as necessary, and a large inner sea is created where Great Britain is now magically located.

Okay, we like the British. They are our allies - perhaps one of our closest allies. We have a very good relationship with them. Everyone even speaks the same language. Yet, I dare say if the British showed up in the middle of the United States, things would become rather interesting rather quickly, and not in a good way. Virtually immediately, disputes would break out. Who controls the air space? Is it against international law for the United States to fly spy drones over London?

Now, let's imagine that the United States couldn't simply curb stomp Great Britain militarily speaking. Let's assume that they were an equal if not greater military force. So, now you have an equal if not greater military force right there in the middle of the heartland. Oh, and by the way... there are some people in Great Britain who are having second thoughts about the Revolutionary War. After all, the United States once used to be their colony; just because it rebelled does that mean it's 'legally' independent, or does that just make everyone who doesn't submit to British rule traitors and therefore criminals?

I'm not saying that a war would break out. I'm just saying things would be.... problematic for everyone involved.

With the Elves of Myth Drannor, you have a powerful military force establishing itself as your next door neighbor. They're just showing up and claiming those lands. They believe those lands belong to them, despite having not controlled them for centuries. There really is no long standing prior relationship, no real shared culture, no reason to really trust one another. On top of it all, you've got groups on both sides who'd LOVE to see an all out war. On the Elven side you've got the Eldreth Veluuthra, and on the human side you've got the Sembian's who have a long standing dislike for Elves due to bad past relationships with the Myth Drannor of old.

So, you'd have the natural tensions that would arise - even if everyone was the greatest of friends - and you've got people who would exploit those tensions to the hilt. Now, I'm not saying there would be a war, but it would be... problematic for everyone involved.

What seems to have happened, of course, was that someone happened to look at the alignments. "Oh, well these Elves are mostly of good alignment, and everyone likes people of good alignment right? LOL! Of course they do! They'll be total BFF's! They'll establish trade, and all of their neighbors will welcome a military powerful group of good aligned elves with open arms! I mean, there might be some ugly evil aligned orcs in those woods or something, right? (You can tell they're evil because they're ugly, and not pretty like the Elves. Pretty people aren't evil, don't have self-interest, and would totally never stab you in the back... or the face. It's a known fact.)"

Okay, that was a bit off track. The good news, I guess, is that everyone who loved the ToT will hopefully love the Sundering since as far as I know they're billing it as ToT v2. I won't bother to list all the objectionable things that took place during the ToT that always seem to be widely criticized. I guess there are just more Cyric fans than I thought.
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  23:50:27  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other. Does the War of the Spider Queen constitute an RSE?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  00:17:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

quote:

I was a bit shocked as well, and I'm going to chock it up to nostalgia. After you see something like the Spellplague and the time jump that accompanied it, it tends to make horrific events like the ToT more acceptable by comparison. In fact, I think the Spellplague and the time jump have impacted people to such a degree that it's redefined RSE - making some of the smaller RSE (by comparison) seem insignificant.

Just using the second most popular RSE on the list as an example, the Reclamation of Myth Drannor might seem like a small regional event. But that's only if you lack an understanding of how interconnected the Realms is and gloss over the short and long term implications. Just the simple act of it happening marks the end to an entire era for the Elves of Toril, which have been in retreat for centuries. It might even seem like a big deal, until you consider the geopolitical and economic impact it'll have on the entire region. Unfortunately, that seems to have been largely danced over.

I mean just try to envision how this would play out in the real world. Let's say that something magical suddenly happens. Over the course of a few months Great Britain and it's citizens are transported to a newly created magical area in the very heartland of the United States. There is no destruction or damage caused. The land simply parts out in the wilderness, roads are magically lengthened as necessary, and a large inner sea is created where Great Britain is now magically located.

Okay, we like the British. They are our allies - perhaps one of our closest allies. We have a very good relationship with them. Everyone even speaks the same language. Yet, I dare say if the British showed up in the middle of the United States, things would become rather interesting rather quickly, and not in a good way. Virtually immediately, disputes would break out. Who controls the air space? Is it against international law for the United States to fly spy drones over London?

Now, let's imagine that the United States couldn't simply curb stomp Great Britain militarily speaking. Let's assume that they were an equal if not greater military force. So, now you have an equal if not greater military force right there in the middle of the heartland. Oh, and by the way... there are some people in Great Britain who are having second thoughts about the Revolutionary War. After all, the United States once used to be their colony; just because it rebelled does that mean it's 'legally' independent, or does that just make everyone who doesn't submit to British rule traitors and therefore criminals?

I'm not saying that a war would break out. I'm just saying things would be.... problematic for everyone involved.

With the Elves of Myth Drannor, you have a powerful military force establishing itself as your next door neighbor. They're just showing up and claiming those lands. They believe those lands belong to them, despite having not controlled them for centuries. There really is no long standing prior relationship, no real shared culture, no reason to really trust one another. On top of it all, you've got groups on both sides who'd LOVE to see an all out war. On the Elven side you've got the Eldreth Veluuthra, and on the human side you've got the Sembian's who have a long standing dislike for Elves due to bad past relationships with the Myth Drannor of old.

So, you'd have the natural tensions that would arise - even if everyone was the greatest of friends - and you've got people who would exploit those tensions to the hilt. Now, I'm not saying there would be a war, but it would be... problematic for everyone involved.

What seems to have happened, of course, was that someone happened to look at the alignments. "Oh, well these Elves are mostly of good alignment, and everyone likes people of good alignment right? LOL! Of course they do! They'll be total BFF's! They'll establish trade, and all of their neighbors will welcome a military powerful group of good aligned elves with open arms! I mean, there might be some ugly evil aligned orcs in those woods or something, right? (You can tell they're evil because they're ugly, and not pretty like the Elves. Pretty people aren't evil, don't have self-interest, and would totally never stab you in the back... or the face. It's a known fact.)"

Okay, that was a bit off track. The good news, I guess, is that everyone who loved the ToT will hopefully love the Sundering since as far as I know they're billing it as ToT v2. I won't bother to list all the objectionable things that took place during the ToT that always seem to be widely criticized. I guess there are just more Cyric fans than I thought.

Just a note, you're stating that the elves were gone from Myth Drannor for centuries. That may be true that they were gone from that particular section of the woods for that long (which noone was there pretty much that was sane because it was overrun with nasties). However, the elves left the forest in what 1357? They returned in 1374, clearing out a bunch of very bad neighbors in the process. So, not even a full human generation passed, and they had never fully left the forest (there were still elves who stayed behind). So, as I see it, the surrounding nations had never really made any real inroads into the area, and when the elves left the forest only got worse with dark elves, fey'ri, and others moving in..... so yeah, I can see them being kind of happy the elves returned and it not being a major issue. It'd be like your neighbors that you thought were odd but quiet moving away and renting out their house to a bunch of criminals, but then the original neighbors returning. Would there be bumps in the road? Sure. When aren't there bumps in the road?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  00:34:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the ToT just because it was a unique experiment for its time. That's not to be confused with liking the outcome. I hated the idea of Bane, Leira, and Myrkul being gone when they'd only been introduced to us.... what maybe a 1.5-2.5 years before? I must admit, I wasn't as upset with Waukeen and Bhaal disappearing. But, it was interesting to see the gods as avatars for a novel, because it hadn't really been done before in D&D. Maybe that's also why I liked the concepts put forth with Thay and Mulhorand and Unther's history and interactions (i.e. wizards facing off against God-Kings and their zealot armies for the right to freely research magic).

It was later that I truly began to dislike where they were heading with some of the godly plotlines. For instance, the whole making Kelemvor a deity of death who is in love with the goddess of magic...... we've already god Osiris and Isis, why mirror it in the Faerunian Pantheon. Then, while I could appreciate the idea of trying to make Cyric a tricksterish god like Loki.... I'd have rather had Loki.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  03:18:05  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the list only the ToT and the Spellplague were true RSEs, and I might even argue ToT was rather tame by comparison especially as the years rolled on and in-game events started to reverse the legacy of the ToT. As an RSE I find it interesting, but I started following the Realms after the ToT, so really it’s my first impression of the setting and not having read the novels it seemed alright for the most part.

The Spellplague was purposefully disruptive. Short of the Sundering completely bamfing in entire nations, continents, gods and peoples unchanged, some of those changes are here to stay. Which is a shame in my opinion as I liked the areas removed and don’t like what replaced them as much, nor the hoopla used to implement the changeover.

Abolethic Sovereignty and Abyssal Plague, don’t know much about them, thus they seem like non-events to me. I haven’t even heard the same level of griping about them as with other RSEs, which shows how much impact they’ve had. I will say the use of Aboleths was unfortunately. As an OGL creature, Paizo also used them as setting plot catalyst, except they integrated the Aboleths from the beginning of their setting publication and as a whole they seem better suited to Golarion. Likewise, Kobold Press’ Midgard setting developed a significant piece of setting lore around this time and integrated the Aboleths far better than anything I’ve read of the Realms’ Abolethic scourge. Basically FR had it’s Cthulhu-thunder stolen twice in the span of one edition. FR might have better luck with Mindflayers and Beholders, both product identity and iconic monsters of D&D.

Death of Mask, if a deity dies in the Realms, does anyone really care anymore? Besides, with gods death is a temporary status affliction, they’ll get better when they wake up in the morning.

Death of Azoun IV: never saw this as an RSE because it’s the kind of thing that happens in fantasy and didn’t disrupt much outside of Cormyr. I like that some of the implications and complexity of the situation was reflected in the 3e FRCS.

Rage of Dragons should have been much bigger, but because of the constant RSEs and the lack of integrating the changes to later products, this one never had the impact it was supposed to have.

Reclamation of Myth Drannor: I strongly disagree with this event. Nothing against the characters or story, but I feel it tied things up too neatly and closed out one of the most iconic adventure locales while not offering anything similar in return. Sure Myth Drannor still contained adventure opportunities, but it wasn’t the same as an untamed ruin/dungeon.

Tuigan Horde: probably my favorite. It was characters (rather than gods) in the setting doing something. When it resolved, it still left its mark on the setting evident for years, but at the same time didn’t have to break much to make its point.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  08:43:52  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just a note, you're stating that the elves were gone from Myth Drannor for centuries. That may be true that they were gone from that particular section of the woods for that long (which noone was there pretty much that was sane because it was overrun with nasties). However, the elves left the forest in what 1357? They returned in 1374, clearing out a bunch of very bad neighbors in the process. So, not even a full human generation passed, and they had never fully left the forest (there were still elves who stayed behind). So, as I see it, the surrounding nations had never really made any real inroads into the area, and when the elves left the forest only got worse with dark elves, fey'ri, and others moving in..... so yeah, I can see them being kind of happy the elves returned and it not being a major issue. It'd be like your neighbors that you thought were odd but quiet moving away and renting out their house to a bunch of criminals, but then the original neighbors returning. Would there be bumps in the road? Sure. When aren't there bumps in the road?

To be fair, I'm not an expert in Elven lore. So, someone more knowledgeable than me can come along and correct me if I mess things up.

However, basically this is how things went down (checking sources, which I will list).

Myth Drannor fell to the Army of Darkness in 714 DR the Year of Doom. (Grand History of the Realms, pg. 99)

The Elves return in 1374 DR the Year of Lightning Storms (Grand History of the Realms, pg. 154 - 158).

That is an absence of 660 Years.

Now, it's true that the entire forest wasn't abandoned. However, I think to state that the Elves had any serious presence there or interactions with the humans is an over statement.

Reading from the Ruins of Myth Drannor, pg 7 & 8 - under "The High History of Myth Drannor":

"Having paid such a high blood price for reclaiming their land, the elves were not eager to welcome intruders who might bring danger anew - and humans and halfling brigands grew more numerous, the elves closed the woods to those not of their kin, and swallowed up Myth Drannor behind a cloak of elven magic - and the seeking points of elven arrows. Myth Drannor became lost to men, and its legends grew.

The Elven Court slowly grew strong again, and held its own as men pushed past, settling the Dales and then the Moonsea shores. ...

So it was, and for many years none but elves were welcome in what had become known as the Woods of Cormanthyr. ...

It seemed that Myth Drannor would sleep forever cloaked in the forest, until less than twenty winters ago, when the elves of the Elven Court decided that the human hold on the region, with the gathering evils in Zhentil Keep, Mulmaster, Vaasa, and Scardale, and the soaring population and hunger for wood (as a fuel and building material) of rich Sembia, made their own survival ultimately impossible - and The Flight of the Elves began.

In the Year of Moonfall (1344 DR), the High Council of wise and elder elves, who ruled the Elven Court, reached the fateful decision to abandon their woodland realm after over five hundred summers of deliberation - and began to empty their realm, sending their people to fabled Evermeet, the island realm and refuge of the Elves."

So, according to the lore above - yes some Elves remained behind. It's not clear how many, but the population was certainly much smaller than Myth Drannor. I'm guessing maybe a couple thousand, maybe five thousand at the most. That might sound like a lot, until you realize that they would be scattered among multiple settlements and in even more remote and isolated areas of the forest.

However, what is important to note is that they actively worked to keep non-Elves out of the forest. This means that they didn't have an active diplomatic relationship with the humans. Sure, they might have befriended some Harpers, and wilderness types - such as human druids. However, the average Dalelander and Sembian? Most definitely not. Their relationship with Sembia was horrifically poor, and I'd imagine that they made more than a few enemies in the Dalelands as well.

Keeping in mind, of course, that some of those left behind were also members of the Eldreth Veluuthra. So, you can imagine some of the tensions and "examples" they made over the years.

When the remaining Elves decided to leave in 1344 DR (30 years prior to their return to reclaim Myth Drannor), a small handful were still left behind. I'm willing to bet that a sizable chunk who decided to still remain behind were members of the Eldreth Veluuthra, or at least sympathetic to the cause.

Overall, the average human in the region likely knew Elves lived in the forest, and would kill anyone who wasn't Elven who tried to enter. That was probably the extent of their relations - Harpers and the like excluded - we're talking about average Joe Dalelander.

So, yeah. Now we have a powerful military force in reclaimed Myth Drannor, and we're supposed to believe that everyone just welcomed them with open arms. No serious conflict, despite all of those who have a strong interest in creating such a conflict?

I don't buy it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000