Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 help running a part of the avatar trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wwanno
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  12:12:25  Show Profile Send wwanno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! This is my first post (and the reason I registered in this forum). I'm italian, so please forgive me for my English, and when you'll respond to my questions try to be as clear as you can.

Now to my question.
I'm willing to run a campaing in the vales adapting some AD&D adventures to 3.5. This is the plan:

1357DR
– The Doom of Daggerdale (TSR 9391). The PCs meet Randal Morn for the first time.
– Falled Hopes (from TSR 1120 - Ruins of Zenthil Keep Boxed Set). The PCs meet Lanseril Snowmantle for the first time.
Both adventures merged togheter (and both already converted to 3.5).

1357DR
– Beneath the Twisted Tower (from TSR 1085 - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting - Revised. Already converted)

1358DR
– The time of Trouble, Zentharim attack on Shadowdale (as described in TSR 9247 - Shadowdale, first part of the Avatar trilogy). The PCs meet again Lanseril Snowmantle (of the Knights of Myth Drannor) during the battle for Shadowdale. The PCs are hired to chase Midnight and Cyric (no conversion to 3.5 needed).

1369DR, Hammer (Gennaio)
– The Sword of the Dales Trilogy (TSR 9484, TSR 9485, TSR 9488. Only the first episode converted to 3.5, two more remains)

Now I would like someone who explain me what appened in "Tantras", I read the trilogy (only "shadowdale" and first half of "tantras", to be honest) but it seems to me that Cyric and Kelemvor appear abruptly (I don't recall them in "shadowdale"), and I don't understand the reason for Kelemvor decision to chase the two fugitive friends (In the beginning of "tantras" they were presented as a party, or maybe I understood wrong). I would like to know the motivation of these NPCs so I can play them accordingly. While I can present the three of them as a party from the beginning, I MUST understand the motivation for Kelemvor's betrayal.

Thanks in advance, and again sorry for my grammatical errors.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  13:29:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok - so your first issue is that having them chase Midnight and Cyric is not really how the modules were written so it would take some changing.

In Tantras was the trial and escape. The Lhaeo gives them all their stuff back (Midnights spellbooks, etc. and they boat down the River Ashaba.
When they get to the Pool of Yeven, they meet Yeven who was dead and sent back to kill them. He resists, tells them that Bane knows what they are doing, and crumbles away - after which they are attacked by undead. Under the pool they find a statue of Mystra that heals and restores magic, Azuth appears and warns them from moving it. A little later, Elminster pops in for a chat (but it is really a doppleganger).

Meanwhile, they are being chased by the posse from Shadowdale, led by Kelemvor. Kelemvor thinks that the others did in fact kill Elminster and that it was wrong for them to escape (though he does have doubts about this). He's not betraying them, he's trying to have justice be served - if they are murderers they should be punished. He leads them to the bridge to get ahead of the party.

Also, Bane's Zhentarim forces are taking over Scardale so they can attack Tantras by sea - because that is where Bane hid the first Tablet.

This brings us to the part you're looking for I guess. When Midnight/Cyric/party get to the bridge, they are attacked by bowmen as they approach. After a minute or so of hesitation Kelemvor decides killing them is wrong, turns into a panther, and attacks the archers to save his friends. Cyrics sneaks away in the chaos, but everyone thinks he drowned.

Is that enough? Basically, just think of Kelemvor as a good guy who tries to do what is right but is not sure what that is.
Go to Top of Page

wwanno
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  14:22:38  Show Profile Send wwanno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this was of great help, my players will be sent with Kevlemor to catch the fugitives (and will have to face him when he turns to panther form).

Midnight and Cyric were charged for Elminster murder 'couse they were in the temple of Lathander with him and were the sole survivors (such a stupid motivation! really poor write-up in my opinion), one of my PCs could be there as well (surely there will be some wizard among them and I recall that the Sage recruited all magic users in town to protect the staircase). How would you suggest to handle the situation? Charge the wizard PCs for the murder as well? By that time they should be called "heroes" in the vales (since they restored Randal Morn on his throne). Charging them for murder would allow me to insert some good role-play (the trial) and insert the "escape from prison" scene, but would ruin the PCs' hard gained reputation (and I don't like this, since there will be a paldin and a cleric of lathander among them and Shadowdale with the temple it's their main base of operation). Any suggestion on how to use these ideas and let all the charges be dropped in the end? maybe that's the reason they are send against the other fugitives, midnight and Cyric (how does it sounds to you?)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000