Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Artifact and Magic Item database
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  02:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have compiled an extensive list of some of the known magic items of Faerun which, so far, only include items from Magic of Faerun, the Magister and the DM's sourcebook of the Realms. Eventually, the list will grow to include as many specific magic items and artifacts related to the Realms that I can find. The database can be found here:

http://www.sss.org/~maecenus/frmagic.html

If you wish to contribute or make corrections, send me an email!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  05:22:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful...

This is amazing work indeed Maecenus, I've just finished reading over it now.

Perhaps you should ask the wise Alaundo to provide a link in the library here at Candlekeep, to this extraordinary cache of very useful Realmslore...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  23:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye Maecenus well met. way 2 come back 2 the board with a bang!

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  10:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Maecenus of Westgate

This scroll is indeed a great treasure... would you care to have this displayed within the library permanently to share with the many visitors to these halls?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  19:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Alaundo, it would be fantastic to post this database on the Candlekeep websites although I must confess that the list is far from being complete. There are numerous tomes I have yet to compile, although the main additions from Magic of Faerun and the Magister are both complete. If nothing else, you may wish to simply post a link to the main webpage, which will be updated regularly.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  02:46:40  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maecenus, that's a great list. You must have done a lot of research. BTW, about the Crowns of Horns, I read somewhere that it was Khlben that destroyed it to free Laeral. Does anyone know how it led to that and what happened?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  06:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Maecenus, that's a great list. You must have done a lot of research. BTW, about the Crowns of Horns, I read somewhere that it was Khlben that destroyed it to free Laeral. Does anyone know how it led to that and what happened?

boy is that a long story...ill let some1 like The Sage expalin that 1

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  08:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you'd like, you can insert my Tome of Candlekeep and my Cobra's Fang into your list. They're both solidly Realms-realted, and can be found here.

The Crown was, indeed, destroyed; however, the pieces remained, and Khelban took them back to Blackstaff Tower, lest priests of Myrkul (who had created it, so you know it's not a good toy for your kids) put Humpty back together.

After Myrkul was defeated, his spirit took refuge in the crown -- it was close enough that he didn't dissipate much before he got there. After repairing the crown, it became his new body. He's not a god anymore, but he kind of likes that -- now he does't have to report to Ao in the morning for work, after all.

He's made Cyric an enemy of his, for taking his portfolio. (I don't know if that changed after Kelemvor took it, but I doubt it.) He controls whoever puts him on, and uses them to spread havok among Cyric's worshipers. He's trying to get a lot of Cyrists to put him on, so he can destroy key persons.

This is all paraphrased from the 2e supplement Waterdeep: City of Splendors box set.

Oh, by the way, Cyric -- would you like to buy this crown from me? I'll give you a good deal . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Alaundo, it would be fantastic to post this database on the Candlekeep websites although I must confess that the list is far from being complete. There are numerous tomes I have yet to compile, although the main additions from Magic of Faerun and the Magister are both complete. If nothing else, you may wish to simply post a link to the main webpage, which will be updated regularly.

Well met

It matters not of the completeness of your work, Maecenus of Westgate. Many tomes within the library are ongoing works or indeed works which have fallen to be forever incomplete.... it can be updated at any time when you see fit.

That reminds me, I must get a new supply of whips

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, if you'd like, you can insert my Tome of Candlekeep and my Cobra's Fang into your list. They're both solidly Realms-realted, and can be found here.

I appreciate the contributions but at the moment i'm going to stick with tsr/wizards of the coast published material (or other official FR material). I think once that has been more or less caught up, I will include more fan/outside based sources such as many of those found here in the Candlekeep forums...

If anyone has a reference source and more info on the Crown of Horns, i'd be glad to add further details to the Crowns stats.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

It matters not of the completeness of your work, Maecenus of Westgate. Many tomes within the library are ongoing works or indeed works which have fallen to be forever incomplete.... it can be updated at any time when you see fit.

In that case, feel free to post this on the Candlekeep pages

Speaking of which, you may wish to update the FR dragon database page as I have updated it a bit more since my last contribution.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  20:27:10  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I know about that part. I wanted to know when Khlben confronted the crown BEFORE it was possessed by Myrkul. I read about that somewhere but there's no info on it.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you asked for people to contribute. How was I supposed to know you didn't want fan-created stuff at the moment?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  18:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, you asked for people to contribute. How was I supposed to know you didn't want fan-created stuff at the moment?

My apologies, I meant contribute official tsr/wotc material or references. I know there are a lot of fan-created magic items here at Candlekeep (especially at The Sage's Magic Shop forum) and I will definitely go back and include those in a seperate fan-based list.

Edited by - Maecenus of Westgate on 26 Jan 2004 18:50:33
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  01:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am the same Maecenus, i pretty much only want official info on pretty much everything except 4 when i want peoples opinions

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:19:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

quote:

My apologies, I meant contribute official tsr/wotc material or references. I know there are a lot of fan-created magic items here at Candlekeep (especially at The Sage's Magic Shop forum) and I will definitely go back and include those in a seperate fan-based list.

Just be sure to get the permission of those scribes (other than myself) who also have items on display in the Magic Shop. Some people may not wish to have their creations posted elsewhere.

I know this is probably a little silly to mention, but there have been situations in the past when certain individuals have been brought to anger over the posting of their creations across the internet.

Anyway, the actual reason for my posting this was to ask a question - Maecenus, I was just curious as to whether you had exhausted searching through most of the 1e, and 2e FR tomes for items?. If not, I'd be willing to search through everything I have, in order to find some you may have missed.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jan 2004 02:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  07:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the older versions had some neat items. I was surprised, actually. No, I'm not saying I was surprised that there were good things in older editions. No, I was surprised because I've just been so used to non-fluffy items and spells!

I have to say that that magical broom from Waterdeep was actually too good. I had to cross an item off of my list of things to give to the Magic Shop.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  08:06:27  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That reminds me, I must get a new supply of whips

that's it! It is as I feared. I have gone blind!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  13:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
[br

Just be sure to get the permission of those scribes (other than myself) who also have items on display in the Magic Shop. Some people may not wish to have their creations posted elsewhere.

Anyway, the actual reason for my posting this was to ask a question - Maecenus, I was just curious as to whether you had exhausted searching through most of the 1e, and 2e FR tomes for items?. If not, I'd be willing to search through everything I have, in order to find some you may have missed.

Aye, you can bet I will not post any fan created items without their permission.

I have not exhausted any sources yet though there are numerous tomes I don't have access to, such as FR6, FR7, FR8, FR12, FR13, FR14 and others in that series. If you find anything I don't have, feel free send me an email. I'd appreciate it! If you also happen to come across any dragon names that aren't listed here i'd be grateful for any info you can pass along.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  08:36:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will indeed. In fact I've already composed a small listing of items taken from The Magister tome, and a number of other FR magic-related tomes.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  04:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im pleased to see that this list is updated with new releases like LEoF (at least i think its on there. i didnt see it in the lsit of sources but battlecloak of vycaena is on there) great job....
also was this posted yet on the site, alaundo?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  05:46:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it was.

'Tis here:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/magicdb.htm

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good reference list but I'm more interested in the history of items than their stats.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  19:25:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

A good reference list but I'm more interested in the history of items than their stats.

This likely is a result of "fair use" vs. "copyright infingment" issue. All od WotC material I believe is still protected by copyright including the White books. Reprinting to much of quoted text is illegal generally subject to civil penalities.

Another concern might be bandwidth, however I suspect that is minor if it exists at all.

It does not help to say WotC provides free downloads of some copyright material, that material is for individual use, reposting _The Morth_ for example in full would violate copyright laws, in the age of the internet could result in a website closed down, the user (if found) subject to royalities fees, and posible criminal charges.

Take the list, and use the internet to search for the aritfacts for discussion of their histoty. It might be more work for you, but it will protect candlekeep from posible legal actions.

Of course as I did not prepare the list there might be other reasons history is not included.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 Apr 2006 23:50:28
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  22:20:55  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, very nice indeed. You have done a lot work for this I see, congratulations, this may be for help for some people
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  01:16:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

This likely is a result of "fair use" vs. "copyright infingment" issue. All od WotC material I believe is still protected by copyright including the White books. Reprinting to much of quoted text is illegal generally subject to civil penalities.

Another concern might be bandwidth, however I suspect that is minor if it exists at all.

It does not help to say WotC provides free downloads of some copyright material, that material is for individual use, reposting _The Morth_ for example in full would violate copyright laws, in the age of the internet could result in a website closed down, the user (if found) subject to royalities fees, and posible criminal charges.

Take the list, and use the internet to search for the aritfacts for discussion of their histoty. It might be more work for you, but it will protect candlekeep from posible legal actions.

Of course as I did not prepare the list there might be other reasons history is not included.

As the admin of the Forgotten Realms wiki (link in my sig) I'm following the copyright laws of my country, as should Maecenus but unless the author directly gets involved then you can assume they have no objection until told otherwise.

I understand that an exact copy of someone's work is illegal, as are adaptations if you do not credit the author of said work. I have never claimed ownership of anybody else's work and I encourage the editors of my wiki to note the source and author of that source when they write an article (All other works come under the GNU license).

So, if Maecenus wants to, and as long he credits the authors there shouldn't be a problem.

I hope this thread won't blow into a debate on copyright law now. If you wish to discuss that please PM me rather than write it here.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 23 Apr 2006 01:42:29
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  01:38:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrugs* I know I have spelling errors, but even in the UK I believe it is spelled copyright. I can not speak for Maecenus (Whom last posted 01 Feb 2005 ) or The Sage (whom might reply in the next few hours or days), I just offered my posible explaination of why the details you seek, apparently to reprint and collect advertising dollars for, might not have been provided.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000