Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 dual-divine theurge?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  12:41:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just thinking about the ultimate magi, and it occurred to me, is there any prestige class to do a prepared divine spellcaster and a spontaneous divine spellcaster? My first thoughts were it would be interesting to have a subset of Durthans who were kept to one spell list (druidic) by focusing in both the spirit shaman and druid classes, thus lessening their power somewhat by lessening their choices, but then strengthen their ties to their telthor companion (which is a fey spirit) and increasing their number of spells per day (but losing all the other great druid shapechange stuff). Kind of like the fochlucan lyrist, it should have some restrictions to guide people to certain class combos, but I'm thinking advancement in spellcasting like the ultimate magi (i.e. 8 in one class, 9 in the other over 10 levels, plus another level behind to take spirit shaman... so in the end 2 lvls behind in primary spellcasting, 3 behind in secondary).

I'm thinking for prerequisites, class abilities like animal companion, speak druidic, 1st lvl prepared divine spellcasting, 2nd lvl spontaneous divine spellcasting, chastise spirit, and spirit guide. Whatever they choose for spirit guide is the type of animal form that their telthor companion takes on.

As to special class abilities, just the fact that their telthor companion continues to gain power should be enough to replace any class abilities similar to what an ultimate magi would get. They'd roughly get 1.5 times the spells per day until higher levels (because of being behind in spellcasting levels) but they'd also lose the class abilities of both spirit shaman and druid. As to HP, have it reduced to D6 from D8.

Too powerful? Tear it apart for the flaws as I've only got the vague idea in my head. I'm more thinking of it for the flavor reasons (another sect of Rashemi witches, but this one's sole focus is on the spirits and having a fey spirit animal companion).

Are there any other dual divine combos out there that people could see? For instance, I could see a shugenja/druid combo for druids following the elemental lords like Akadi, Istishia, and Grumbar. It obviously wouldn't work with the class I described above, but its an idea with merit. Similarly, I could see a paladin/favored soul combo class that builds both spellcasting at the expense of a slower BAB advancement, but still having decent HP (say D6... maybe D8).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  03:23:54  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Regarding your spirit shaman/druid prestige class, would tweaking the Arcane Hierophant work? It's a prestige class that is all about making your animal companion better.

You could change the arcane requirement to a prepared divine caster, and the divine requirement to a spontaneous divine caster. Instead of listed AH prereqs, how about animal companion, 8 ranks in knowledge (nature) and spellcraft, and the spellcasting levels you mentioned?

Instead of ignoring arcane spell failure, you could get a feat that turns your animal companion into the Telthor companion you mentioned.

I concur with the rest of your write-up and think it sounds very cool. I'd be curious to see how your sect of witches would interact with hathrans and durthans.

As for other divine combos, I like the idea of a Archivist/Favored Soul combo, sort of a divine counterpart to the Ultimate Magus.

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  19:13:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, that's a good point on the arcane hierophant. It would seem a similar build and would mesh well, and it wouldn't be really hard to adapt. I like the idea of swapping out the arcane spell failure for turning your animal companion into a telthor as well. My thoughts on this sect would be that they'd be less about ruling the people of Rashemen than the Hathrans and more about protecting the wilds of Rashemen. They may teach their apprentices and then release them to wander on their own (a decidedly non-Hathran viewpoint). This sect however would not be about getting involved with surrounding realms like the Durthans would have done. This sect would be also out against any rediscovery of lost Raumathari and Narfellian lore, and they may claim bloodlines that only come from the Rus (though this last shouldn't be strictly upheld).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  15:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could adapt the Ultimate Magus (PrC that combines two arcane classes) from Complete Mage.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  07:37:12  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own character has had a LONG career and has had some forced retirements (like dual classing) from magical sources - there are several of these in the Encyclopedia Magica so two of them got put to use :). I mention this because one of the classes he was before becoming The Masked Mage, was a shaman. As we all know, the rules for shamans changed drastically with every new publication mentioning them so He really was somewhere between the Spiritlord of Ubtao (who bind spirits to masks like familiars - which is the reason he always is wearing one) and a Spiritualist Shaman. As a shaman he was the mentor of Nether the Elder during the founding of Netheril, was known as Spiritsummoner, and secretly was responsible for Nether's assassination. With the discovery of the Nether Scrolls he eventually became an Arcanist and Archmage as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000