Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Roll of Years to 2163
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  02:45:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's said somewhere that the Roll of Years names the years until 2163 DR... but the downloadable list stops at 1600.

Anyone know where/if the rest of the list can be found?

And speaking of years, happy 2013.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  03:08:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's news to me. Are you sure that's not some Realms fan's homebrew fancies?

Tom Costa, according to the Realms-L FAQ hosted here at Candlekeep, stated the following:-
quote:
5.4.2. How were the beginning (-700 DR) and ending (1600 DR) years for the Roll of Years chosen?

Tom Costa replied: As one of the namers, here are some answers.....

This was for the most part an arbitrary decision based on part on making sure we covered dates that covered all the years from Alaundo and Auguthra the Mad's prophecies. However, we came up with more names than originally expected and so Steven added more named years to the rolls. It was a lot of names to come up with and I think all of us were pretty proud of the result. In the end, I believe the ultimate goal was to cover a period far back in history for creators and players to be able to use year names and far enough in the future to cover anticipated future events and products (which 200+ years should aptly cover I believe).

Steven Schend added:

Why did we stop at -700 and 1600? Well, two reasons. A) 2300 years names is more than enough grist for the creative mills of DMs out there. and B) If we added more at either end of that spectrum, they're either so far before or after current campaigns that they're less and less useful.
Thus, I tend to view the Roll of Years as an archaic source of information about the Realms as it was back when the Roll was first put together. There may have been a lot of good ideas and references floating around at the time that were incorporated into it, and then either ignored, forgotten, or simply cast aside as progress on the setting's design shifted elsewhere.

Regardless, 1600 DR probably seemed like an adequate "Let's stop it here" point -- once most of the work on the Roll, was done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  03:33:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I detect some vague whiff of the Mayan calendar, there. If the Roll of Years was cut off at 1600 DR, then does that mean that the Realms will come to an end in that year?! Say it ain't so, No(stradamus)!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  05:05:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Alaundo's Prophecies (from Alaundo's Library at Candlekeep)

Alaundo used the Roll of Years in labeling his prophecies. There are a number of sages who believe that Alaundo created the Roll of Years, but this is largely wrong. The Roll of Years was started back in -422 DR by a sage named Augathra the Mad. Augathra was an elderly woman who began to have visions, which she recorded. The majority of these were lost over time, and those that remained have not always proven accurate. The Roll of Years extends to what will be 2163 DR, and has remained largely intact. One or two smaller sections of the Roll are missing, lost to time, and these Alaundo had replaced with names of his own devising. The biggest gaps are from 1352 to 1369 DR and from 1804 to 1829 DR, though there are about a dozen one- or two-year gaps throughout. It is said that Alaundo catered his prophecies to Augathra's names, as the old woman did not have a very good track record with her own prophecies.
2163DR is named (here) as the Year of Saddened Magicians. To me this suggests a final end to magic in the Realms, or at least a point beyond which magical divinations and prophecies no longer function.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Jan 2013 05:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  05:26:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Its the end of the world as we know it..."

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  05:44:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought as much. Taking the Roll of Years to 2163 DR didn't sound like something either TSR or Wizards would've done. I think Tom Costa and Steven Schend's earlier take, is largely where we are at with this.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  05:55:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, who is Frank Penca? Was he "officially" associated with TSR/WotC at the time of this writing (circa 1999)?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  08:06:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Thanks for the quote from the FAQ, Sage... I had forgotten that the Roll was mentioned in there.

1600 isn't as big a step into the future anymore. Perhaps more official development of the Roll (and/or adoption of fan development) will be forthcoming.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  08:17:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sorry, who is Frank Penca? Was he "officially" associated with TSR/WotC at the time of this writing (circa 1999)?

I don't think so. And I've never heard of him beyond the Halls of Candlekeep.

His various entries are on the Traveler's Notebook shelf of the main site, which is generally for non-official material supporting the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  15:27:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Alaundo used the Roll of Years in labeling his prophecies. There are a number of sages who believe that Alaundo created the Roll of Years, but this is largely wrong. The Roll of Years was started back in -422 DR by a sage named Augathra the Mad. Augathra was an elderly woman who began to have visions, which she recorded. The majority of these were lost over time, and those that remained have not always proven accurate. The Roll of Years extends to what will be 2163 DR, and has remained largely intact. One or two smaller sections of the Roll are missing, lost to time, and these Alaundo had replaced with names of his own devising. The biggest gaps are from 1352 to 1369 DR and from 1804 to 1829 DR, though there are about a dozen one- or two-year gaps throughout. It is said that Alaundo catered his prophecies to Augathra's names, as the old woman did not have a very good track record with her own prophecies.
2163DR is named (here) as the Year of Saddened Magicians. To me this suggests a final end to magic in the Realms, or at least a point beyond which magical divinations and prophecies no longer function.

Or it could just be the year that all magicians develop erectile dysfunction..... I think that'd make a LOT of saddened magicians.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  23:09:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only if they were male magicians. The female ones would not have that problem. Maybe it's the year when Mystra reveals herself to have been Ao all along, and/or she decides "no more magic" (a la Scarlet Witch)?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:56:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Only if they were male magicians. The female ones would not have that problem. Maybe it's the year when Mystra reveals herself to have been Ao all along, and/or she decides "no more magic" (a la Scarlet Witch)?

And then the Realms is awash in a white light...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:10:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House of M(ystra)!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:27:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

House of M(ystra)!

DeciM[ystra]ation?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  16:49:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Women? Do magic? Preposterous! Next they'll want the vote too!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  00:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
The Forgotten Realms Modern game I'm planning to run at GenCon takes place in The Year of the Last Light, 2013 DR, more than 500 years after this whole Sundering business.

But that date's not canonical (at least as-yet).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  00:33:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I request a Year of Lost Wizards in the distant future from which my Wild Mage NPC can be inadvertently ejected.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  01:09:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:
The Forgotten Realms Modern game I'm planning to run at GenCon takes place in The Year of the Last Light, 2013 DR, more than 500 years after this whole Sundering business.

But that date's not canonical (at least as-yet).

Cheers

Come now, Erik, you can't drop a tantalising little tidbit like that and not expand on it?

I've always been keen on the idea of running a d20 Modern [or Future] Realms campaign. What can you tell me about your set-up?

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  05:18:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Forgotten Realms Modern game I'm planning to run at GenCon

Is this simply D20 Modern, set in the Realms? Or something else? Either way I'm intrigued.

I was one of the apparently rare peeps who thought d20 modern had a lot of potential. I'm hoping some day to find a few amiable victims for a Dark Matter campaign. But then, I have a lot of hopes...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  05:52:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

The Forgotten Realms Modern game I'm planning to run at GenCon

Is this simply D20 Modern, set in the Realms? Or something else? Either way I'm intrigued.

I was one of the apparently rare peeps who thought d20 modern had a lot of potential. I'm hoping some day to find a few amiable victims for a Dark Matter campaign. But then, I have a lot of hopes...

I have some of the D20 Modern stuff, myself, and I'd play it, if given the chance.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  12:09:16  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our group tried d20 Modern for a few sessions, and we really enjoyed it, but could not continue for various RW reasons.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  03:45:59  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interestingly I took the opposite approach to using the Spellplague/Sundering RSE and playing a game from the ashes of those two events.

We are currently playing a Crypts and Things* game set somewhere near what used to be the Shining Sea in the shattered realms far into Faerun's future. So far from being modern the Realms has devolved to a brutal sword and sorcery world where fighters and magicians struggle to make their fortunes and live to see to next days sun rise above the azure sea.

Cheers

Damian

* Crypts and Things is based on the Swords and Wizardry game which is a retro-clone of the original 0E edition of D&D.You can download the S&W for free (see below) and add these house rules to make a C&T game
http://enrill.net/documents/akratic-wizardry.pdf

Alternatively go here and get yourself a nice hardback rule book
C&T: http://d101games.com/books/crypts-and-things/

S&W: free rules here http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/?page_id=18
in print here: http://www.talesofthefroggod.com/products.html

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  09:06:43  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Or it could just be the year that all magicians develop erectile dysfunction..... I think that'd make a LOT of saddened magicians.

2164 DR - The Year of the Little Blue Pill

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 13 Jan 2013 09:07:16
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  10:58:43  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

2164 DR - The Year of the Little Blue Pill

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000