Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Interview re the Sundering, the Godborn, etc.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  14:10:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had a chance to sit down with Audrey Zuvich at the Examiner for an interview in which we discuss The Sundering, The Godborn, Erevis Cale, Star Wars, and Egil and Nix.

Thought it might be of interest to some here. Link is below:

http://www.examiner.com/article/interview-with-paul-kemp-on-star-wars-the-sundering-and-more

Paul

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  14:36:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that you will be doing more Star Wars novels. I enjoyed Riptide and am looking forward to more.
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:14:22  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good read. I agree about the characters, Paul. It really comes through in your writing!

Excited about this ambitious duology in the SW universe. I'm keen to know where in the SW timeline it falls?

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  18:02:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And speaking of THE GODBORN, here's the "online copy" (as distinct from the jacket copy, which is what will appear on the hardcover dust jacket) for THE GODBORN. WotC just provided it to me and said I can post. It's teaser stuff, of course, but I dig it even so.

The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Forgotten Realms)

Paul S. Kemp

The shadow legacy of Erevis Cale lives on even as his old foe Mephistopheles seeks to stamp it out at any cost. Cale’s son Vasen—unmoored in time by the god Mask—has thus far been shielded from the archdevil’s dark schemes, alone among the servants of the Lord of Light who have raised him since birth.

Living in a remote abbey nestled among the Thunder Peaks of Sembia, Vasen is haunted by dreams of his father, trapped in the frozen hell of Cania. He knows the day will come when he must assume his role in the divine drama unfolding across Faerûn. But Vasen knows not what that role should be . . . or whether he is ready to take it on. He only knows what his father tells him in dreams—that he must not fail.

Enter Drasek Riven, a former compatriot of Erevis Cale, now near divine and haunted by dreams of his own—he too knows the time to act is near. Shar, the great goddess of darkness, looks to cast her shadow on the world forever. Riven has glimpsed the cycle of night she hopes to complete, and he knows she must be stopped.

At the crossroads of divine intrigue and mortal destiny, unlikely heroes unite to thwart the powers of shadow and hell, and the sundering of worlds is set on its course.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  19:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it!
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  20:29:02  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, you owe whoever wrote that blurb a beer. It's certainly got me intrigued.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  06:36:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, I am both nervous and excited! I loved Erevis Cale and the Twilight Wars, and I'm so glad there is going to be a follow-up. I despise Mephistopheles, but in a good way, if that makes sense. He's someone I love to hate. I think my hatred for him stemmed from what he did to Magadon, who I must say was one of my favorite characters in the series. And Cale trapped in the demon lord's realm...oh my the suspense is killing me! I was disappointed when I found the Godborn had been pushed back, and I'm now more eager than ever to read it. As a person who likes the gods in the Realms (I was saddened by Mask's death), I'm anxious to see what happens with the Sundering as a whole. I get attached to characters easily--there were several in your FR books that I was fond of! (haven't read Hammer and Blade yet, though it's on my Kindle). You really have a way with characters.

Can't wait for Godborn!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  06:55:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting. May this be a sign that there will be no more pushing back of the release date.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Magadon, who I must say was one of my favorite characters in the series.
Meh. He's an annoying, spoilt half-demon that Rivalen should have mutilated and fed to Ssessimyth.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  07:56:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magadon suffered a lot of inhuman ordeals throughout the novels, repeatedly. Mind-raped, imprisoned, and possessed by the Shadovar and their sentient artifact ... consumed by Mephistopheles and forced to languish with half a soul (or perhaps struggling with a divided soul, one half being hateful, cruel, corrupt, poisonous) ... etc

Yet at critical moments Magadon asserts himself selflessly, proving to be noble and loyal. Lesser characters would simply crumble or join the Dark Side. How can you say he's been spoiled? This ain't no emo dark elf whining poetry about his wasted youth.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:45:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Magadon suffered a lot of inhuman ordeals throughout the novels, repeatedly. Mind-raped, imprisoned, and possessed by the Shadovar and their sentient artifact ... consumed by Mephistopheles and forced to languish with half a soul (or perhaps struggling with a divided soul, one half being hateful, cruel, corrupt, poisonous) ... etc

Yet at critical moments Magadon asserts himself selflessly, proving to be noble and loyal. Lesser characters would simply crumble or join the Dark Side. How can you say he's been spoiled? This ain't no emo dark elf whining poetry about his wasted youth.

Exactly. Magadon was hardly spoiled. Even when the "darker side" of his soul was in control, he still fought with himself, still tried to help his friends. He was scarred both physically and mentally, going through things most of us in the RW couldn't fathom (maybe there are those out there who could...). I also give Kemp credit for the way he did. I liked how he presented Mags' inner struggles in first person, present tense, while the rest of the story was in third person, past tense. Not every author can pull that off.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  20:30:14  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Interesting. May this be a sign that there will be no more pushing back of the release date.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Magadon, who I must say was one of my favorite characters in the series.
Meh. He's an annoying, spoilt half-demon that Rivalen should have mutilated and fed to Ssessimyth.

He is an excellent character who has been through more than most :p
Constantly fighting his nature, but acting honorably and with conscience and selflessness for the most part :p
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  19:03:21  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely disagree with those in this thread who have described Magadon as a complex character who battled through a lot to be a good person.

Magadon raises one interesting issues, though. If the son of Mephistopheles (an archdevil) can be possessed of noble character, how does it make sense that the entire drow race is destined for evil because their bloodline was tainted by Wendonai (a balor) ages ago?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  19:20:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps one mortal strives for nobility while another succumbs easily to corrupt temptations, regardless of bloodlines, in fact a mortal born of the purest celestial bloodline can strive to be an evil bastard. Of course the bloodlines have certain affinities. And can be manipulated by deities and powers, although even gods can be defied.

It's ultimately the usual argument of determinism (destiny, fate, karma) vs indeterminism (choice, free-will), disguised under a layer of outsider genetics. Mortals are special, possessing an intrinsic ability to sometimes change or defy their fate, or to choose to not have any choice.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Jan 2013 19:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  22:24:56  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I wrote that I DISagree with those thinking of Magadon as a complex character. I meant that I AGREE with them. In that context, I guess the rest of my earlier post makes sense now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000