Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming novel list for 2013?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  05:26:25  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was looking at the upcoming novels for 2013 and I only see Prophet of the Dead and the Last Threshold coming up in Feb and March. Does anyone know what is coming after this? I'd hate to think that WoTC would actually go more than 2 months without any new novel releases.

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  06:12:55  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that The Sundering is set to jump off in August or so with RAS and then book two in October with Paul Kemp (Godborn). In fact, I think it's a new novel (believe there are six) every two or three months after that.

I don't know about anything between now and then, though, other than what you mentioned.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  07:10:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm really worried that they are pretty much stopping their normal novel release schedule for this Sundering series. They usually will do one novel a month with a 2 month break twice a year or so. I don't understand the slow down. It looks like they even canceled two novels. I'd really like to know the logic behind this.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:30:37  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Yeah, I'm really worried that they are pretty much stopping their normal novel release schedule for this Sundering series. They usually will do one novel a month with a 2 month break twice a year or so. I don't understand the slow down. It looks like they even canceled two novels. I'd really like to know the logic behind this.

I can only speculate, but maybe it's to build hype. Maybe WotC thinks if there is no new novels people will be starved for Realms fiction and jump at the Sundering releases.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:34:14  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@LastStand - I think it might be a little of that (hype) and a bit of the fact that they are trying to really overhaul the Realms IIRC. Perhaps this is the calm before the storm where all future novels are to be set in the "revised" Realms.

Just my two cents.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:54:58  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, I'm getting the itch already with this decreased release schedule. I don't think I can handle a slower pace....I GOT MONEY TO SPEND ON BOOKS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  20:02:07  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankfully e-books are now available over here too, so I can read all the old novels that I can't get a physical version of, so the wait won't be as bad.

But I also don't like how few novels are planned for 2013.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  21:43:10  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Tanthalas - I'm with you! I have a big backlog to catch up on as well and am really enjoying discoveriformally they have to offer :)

Go to Top of Page

lordduck
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  22:23:45  Show Profile Send lordduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It looks like they even canceled two novels.

As glad as I am that I will be able to catch up on my FR books, I am really, really pissed that Demon Weave has been cancelled. This was one of the books I was looking forward to the most in a long long time (other than RA Salvatore and Elaine Cunningham books) and it just disappeared without any sort of explanation.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  13:57:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Lordduck.
Agreed. They have certainly cancelled a lot of books this year without giving us any sort of explanation about the reasons behind it. I was really looking forward to books such as the Serpents Daughter.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  14:57:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was looking at the upcoming novels for 2013 and I only see Prophet of the Dead and the Last Threshold coming up in Feb and March. Does anyone know what is coming after this? I'd hate to think that WoTC would actually go more than 2 months without any new novel releases.

This has me worried for my future as a realms fiction reader. Very worried. I have no less or more $, but one commodity I am short on is time....I now have less that ever.

And this break in the realms has led me to look elsewhere for fiction....and I have found alot to read.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  16:21:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

This has me worried for my future as a realms fiction reader. Very worried. I have no less or more $, but one commodity I am short on is time....I now have less that ever.

And this break in the realms has led me to look elsewhere for fiction....and I have found alot to read.

What have you found? *I am always looking for more things to add to my "To Read" pile...which is now really a gigantic mound of books. (Imagine Moander, only with a more bookish feel instead of rotting vegetation )

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 08 Jan 2013 16:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:00:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to get a response on the subject from some of the Realms writers that haunt these parts...or maybe even some WoTC people (we know you haunt these forums too). Creating demand is one thing, creating a void to be filled with something else is another.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  20:50:13  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to give a little bump to this thread. I'm hoping someone might have a little bit of knowledge about the novel release schedule for 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the Sundering novels sell well, I think you may well see novels coming out with greater frequency thereafter.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:55:55  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

If the Sundering novels sell well, I think you may well see novels coming out with greater frequency thereafter.

That's kind of crazy in my opinion. That's a long time with very little in the way of novels being released. Have the novels not been selling well? I never heard anything about the novel sales not being strong. All I know is that I buy every novel released. I mean, at the very least wouldn't this be one of WoTC's persistent revenue streams that they would want to maintain?

Ugh, very disheartening. Maybe it's time to finally start reading The Wheel of Time or the Song of Fire and Ice series. Although I'd rather read a Realms novel.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:45:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

quote:

What have you found? *I am always looking for more things to add to my "To Read" pile...which is now really a gigantic mound of books. (Imagine Moander, only with a more bookish feel instead of rotting vegetation )

i know most people have probably read some Neil Gaiman, but i never had.

I readd American Gods and Neverwhere. Loved them both, neverwhere being my favorite. Trying to decide which of his to read next. He is easily for me one of the best writers I have read irregardless of genre.

Also read the new Dresden files, Cold Days and just devoured it in an hour or two.....I like that series so much, i am considering a complete re-read soon of all 14 books.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Jan 2013 01:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  02:57:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I readd American Gods and Neverwhere. Loved them both, neverwhere being my favorite. Trying to decide which of his to read next. He is easily for me one of the best writers I have read irregardless of genre.
Stardust. It's thoroughly enjoyable. And the film closely resembled the book, as Gaiman had his hands on making it. So I recommend you check out both film and novel, if you haven't yet.

Some would likely recommend Good Omens, too, as I've heard a couple of good reviews on it. I got bored with it, though, and never managed to finish it at all.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  03:55:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Gaiman is on my "To Read" list

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  04:11:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Stardust. It's thoroughly enjoyable. And the film closely resembled the book, as Gaiman had his hands on making it. So I recommend you check out both film and novel, if you haven't yet.

Some would likely recommend Good Omens, too, as I've heard a couple of good reviews on it. I got bored with it, though, and never managed to finish it at all.

Anansi Boys follows American Gods without really being a sequel. Good Omens is hilarious -- it's a fave of mine.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  04:12:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also read the new Dresden files, Cold Days and just devoured it in an hour or two.....I like that series so much, i am considering a complete re-read soon of all 14 books.

You read Cold Days in an hour?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  04:55:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He must have "borrowed" the mutant powers of Milan.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:49:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yeah an hour or two....I read way too fast. So fast sometimes it ticks my wife off. She cant understand dropping $15 on a book then next thing she knows Im looking for something else to read or do! Almost always I can pace myself, but something like Dresden, its hard to throttle back. Same thing happened with Neverwhere.....read for about an hour and realized I was 75% done, so I forced myself to close the Kindle appand waited until the next days lunch break to finish it. It strains my book budget for sure, but it's also kinda cool like a mini time-travel trip.

So in a way I have the power of Anti SageTime

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Jan 2013 23:50:30
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  00:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myself, I know of no Realms novels planned past the Sundering.

That doesn't mean there aren't any (for instance, I'm sure Bob will write more Drizzt, and Ed writes an Elmister book every year), but if there are, I don't know it. They haven't contracted me for another book as yet.

I've proposed an online short fiction line to them on a couple of occasions, but the idea doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

If folks here are really itching for more Realms fiction, let me recommend two courses of action:

1) Buy the heck out of the Sundering series: I believe the future book publishing plan connects to the success of the Sundering. More sales, and the fiction department looks more viable to the higher ups.

2) Write emails/letters/forum posts to WotC asking/begging/demanding more Realms fiction. Make your needs and wants known. You are WotC's customer base--without you, they have nothing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  03:21:23  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started an open letter thread over on the WoTC boards. Please go over there and make a post to show your support for the novel line.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29624351/Open_Letter_to_WoTC_-_We_want_more_novels!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  12:10:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yeah an hour or two....I read way too fast. So fast sometimes it ticks my wife off. She cant understand dropping $15 on a book then next thing she knows Im looking for something else to read or do! Almost always I can pace myself, but something like Dresden, its hard to throttle back. Same thing happened with Neverwhere.....read for about an hour and realized I was 75% done, so I forced myself to close the Kindle appand waited until the next days lunch break to finish it. It strains my book budget for sure, but it's also kinda cool like a mini time-travel trip.

So in a way I have the power of Anti SageTime

Wow i wish I had that power.
But then again , maybe not, after all I would run out of good reading material much faster.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  01:47:14  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of bummed that this topic isn't getting that much support over on the WoTC forums. Given what Richard and Erik have said about WoTC's possible motives for the novel line, this has me very worried that we are going to see less novels per year. So please, if you care about Realms novels please visit the thread and voice your opinion.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29624351/Open_Letter_to_WoTC_-_We_want_more_novels!
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:11:57  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i know most people have probably read some Neil Gaiman, but i never had.

He has a new book coming out soon called The Ocean at the End of the Lane that is supposed to be spooky. He had a children's book just come out last week. [:D}
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:32:32  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I am looking forward to reading The Sundering novels, I want more. I am bummed that The Serpent's Daughter is in limbo. I am happy that The Last Threshold is out in two months, but I want more.
I have just recently gotten back into reading Realms novels and have been devouring them. To think that they will all be bound to how well one series sells is sad. There is more going on in our precious Realms that one RSE.
Even if it is a big one.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  05:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not arguing with anyone who wishes there were more FR novels planned for the immediate future. Believe me, it gladdens the heart of a FR novelist to hear that people want more books. But if you haven't watched the video of the Sundering panel from last year's GenCon, you might want to. It might give you some insight into why the Sundering will be the only thing going on in FR fiction for the next little while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoq-vwWHHg
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  07:42:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The panel explains why the Sundering is planned in great detail, but not why it has to be exclusive. Sure, there's a limited author pool, and Wizbro has limits on how many unfinished and unsold books it can sustain, and there's even limits on how many books can saturate the market before they start competing with each other. I disagree with one of the hinted explanations, that it is difficult to prevent collisions when multiple authors work on isolated projects ... because the obvious solution is simply to not isolate them, encourage communication and synergy, install a "traffic cop" if needed, this is something past D&D has done successfully.

Why isn't there enough room in the Realms for just a few novels about other things? Putting some focus on the Sundering into the events of every story and lives of every character might help underscore the significance and scope of the event, but I feel this forcefully added new spice diminishes from the flavour of the Realms I used to enjoy.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Jan 2013 07:46:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000