Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Magnets in the Realms ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  06:57:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always assumed that compasses on Toril always point to (magnetic) North, just as they do on Earth. Realmslore doesn't seem to specify anything about this at all, although I recall compasses being mentioned in older FR fiction.

So exactly where is magnetic North? That is, to which place on Toril's surface do compasses always point?

Do large deposits of mithril/adamantite ore affect local magnetism? Do magic wild/dead zones alter magnetism? Do powerful magics cause temporary or permanent magnetic anomalies? Will your compass spin wildly whenever epic-level magics are flying around?

I imagine that all the various lightning spells, when striking ferromagnetic metals (swords, armor, etc) will magnetize (magnetically polarize/align) the metal. At least they would on our world, but the physics of things "electronic" (which I interpret as "electromagnetic") work differently in the Realms. In our world, a magnetic force intense enough to slam armored knights into each other would be difficult to generate and certainly never occur naturally, but this "fantasy magnetism" is standard fare for any decent mage.

[/Ayrik]

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11719 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  13:49:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this question intrigued me, so I tried googling it. I didn't find an answer, but I found something very intriguing.... an "I <heart> Toril" refrigerator magnet. Too bad you have to buy 10.

http://www.cafepress.com/+toril+magnets

so that made me search on other thingss, and I got these hits for forgotten realms and waterdeep

http://www.cafepress.com/+forgotten-realms+magnets
http://www.cafepress.com/+forgotten-realms+gifts
http://www.cafepress.com/+waterdeep+gifts
http://www.cafepress.com/+drizz't+gifts
http://www.cafepress.com/+faerun+gifts?page=4

After looking at those though, I remembered the cafe press site for the other of the stick.... and I've got to say, their stuff just puts the others to shame. I got presents for a bunch of my old players here this year (t-shirts, coffee mugs, and car magnets).

http://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick

Anyway, sorry I got way off topic, but I got sidetracked... speaking of sidetracked, hmm, they sell OOTS Christmas ornaments.... must control urge....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  14:28:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! I've seen some major derailments in my day, but I think you just got the gold medal! A 2-post thread derailed!

Anyhow, its funny you should mention this (did I just here a collective grown?)....

When I first started 'fixing' the 3e campaign map I noted that a lot of the 'icky' could be fixed simply by rotating the entire map 9.2° clockwise. This made me think - could Toril have experienced a crustal shift sometime between 2e and 3e? That would explain why the pole shifted the way it did.

The only problem with that is, "why didn't anyone notice?" I'm thinking that if this did happen (and WotC designers TAKE NOTE - this is an EXCELLENT line of reasoning for why the maps went back-and-forth between editions), it was probably done around the time of the ToT - something became destabilized when 'the gods walked the world'. It probably wasn't as quick as a meteor-caused crustal shift (and Toril should have had few of those in the past), it was probably a very gradual thing that took until 1372 DR to stop/get noticed. My thinking is that Ao and/or some gods mitigated the worst of the repercussions so as to protect the people of Toril.

In other words, I have just explained-away the weirdness of the map changes (which are presumably getting changed back in 5e) by tying it all to The Sundering. When Ao hits the reset button, he'll correct the axial tilt as well (which may have been getting worse). I am assuming applause here, so I am taking a bow.

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week... try the veal...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2013 14:30:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  14:34:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - More On-Topic

In The Horde box they describe the Mountain of Iron, which contains a massive amount of lodestone, and it throws compasses way off (which is why the mountain is so hard to find and remains mostly unknown).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11719 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  15:16:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

LOL! I've seen some major derailments in my day, but I think you just got the gold medal! A 2-post thread derailed!
<snip>
Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week... try the veal...

LOL, yeah, and that lead into me going to amazon to buy the Order of the Stick board game, a copy of Gamers:Dorkness Rising video, and the guild:season one video. My head is not here today... and thankfully work is very quiet today.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  22:26:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These "lodestone" deposits probably just contain magnetite, a naturally occurring mineral of iron oxide and the source of all magnets in pre-industrial societies. (Before electricity, magnets could not be manufactured and were basically only used in navigational instruments and countless "curative", medicinal, or alchemical processes of dubious value. In the Realms, some magical workings make use of magnets, mostly as small spell components; but who knows what sorts of massive magnets a gnomish contraption might require.)

Numerous magnetic anomaly "lines" and "planes" and "zones" are scattered all over the Earth's surface, some measure about the size of a house while others span half an ocean or country, I even happen to live close to several. They aren't as exciting as you'd think, for the most part all they do is just deflect a compass needle slightly off course. People interested in the occult have long associated these sorts of magnetic features with ley-lines and the Bermuda triangle and such stuff, which is why I ask how magic and magnetism might interact.

A 9.2° CW realignment between maps might suggest that (from most particular positions on Toril's surface) there is a difference between magnetic North and polar/geodetic "true" North which one of the cartographers didn't take into account. On Earth, the magnetic North Pole (and antipodal magnetic South Pole) are somewhat offset from the equatorial poles. Plus they gradually wobble around and sometimes even spontaneously invert over time, many things are always in motion. The Earth's magnetosphere is also constantly influenced by Solar cycles, ionomagnetic storms, and similar phenomena. It doesn't seem unlikely that Toril could be similar. Toril could even be more complex (in some ways) by, for example, some sort of unique "supernatural" magnetic properties in the Tears of Selune always guiding compasses without error during a full moon, or whatever.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Jan 2013 22:51:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  12:57:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Toril is wobbling, eh?

Then they might need to re-attach a few bussard ramjets to get it straightened out.

And that, my friends, was a scify reference (Ringworld). See, I don't just read fantasy.

Before I became a regular here, I had a heated argument with Wooly about electromagnetic fields & magic (The Weave). I have lots of theories about it, but thats one pot I don't want to stir again.

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  18:05:07  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beware the Halfling Protectors . . .
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  00:05:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I should have mentioned these wobbling motions are on geological sorts of timescales. Noticeable shifts occur about as often as ice ages.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000