Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

MaskedOne
Seeker

42 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  03:39:09  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
NineCoronas:

Won't speak to the born evil question but...
the Paladin would be butchering those who are incapable of even attempting to defend themselves. I'd think that a Paladin's mandate to oppose evil has to start within the Paladin himself and the cold-blooded slaughter of infants should in most cases have the Paladin's god asking whether his servant has become the evil that he was commissioned to oppose.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  09:21:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Re Paladin's:

I am sure we don't want to derail Ed's thread with what is good/bad and how alignment works - perhaps worth taking this to another scroll?

Ed has said many times before that the Realms world view is not as we view it as a 'modern 21st century western european' world view regarding evil/violence/sex/monsters.

When playing in the Realms you need to think Realms

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  16:10:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, Damian! That last sentence should be a touchstone for us all.
It's of course fine to run your own version of the Realms any way you want, and meet your players' sensibilities and views and preferences so everyone enjoys the gaming as much as possible - - but for discussing the shared or canon Realms, "think Realms" first and foremost, and much of the hard feelings and misunderstandings can be avoided.
As Ed's Dad used to say: "One man's Mede is another man's poisson" (Ah, I love triple puns...)
love,
THO
P.S. Was discussing Cormyrean nobility with Ed last night, and he reminded me that we Knights have stumbled on a mystery regarding House Haelrood. That I'll tell you more about once we dig into it more and have some results to share...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  17:30:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO.

Ed, there are many Realms stories I'd like to see in print (and I'm sure you would too).

Can we please add a request to see a short story featuring Lord Crakehall and his daily doings to the top of that mountainous list?

That dude is awesome.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  18:15:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words of Ed:

Jeremy, I would LOVE to do a Lord Crakehall story. My copious free time isn't, these days, and the good folks at Wizards and I would have to hit upon where and how to publish it (perhaps as a website freebie, but of course I have to do the Spin A Yarn tale first) - - however, rest assured that I do indeed have a huge heap of Stuff I Really Wanna Do, and it's been added to that. :}
Perhaps I can get permission to do a GenCon hand-photocopied giveaway chapbook, as per the good old days, then present it on the Wizards website . . .
I will Talk To The Right People, and We Shall See.

Heh. So saith Ed. Who is very happy for a Realms author who has some great news to share, soon...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  19:11:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
....And Ed tells me he can now reveal that the great news is that Jaleigh Johnson has a new middle grade (as in: for younger readers than some of us) fantasy novel (non-Realms; this setting and tale are all her own) coming out, entitled THE MARK OF THE DRAGONFLY. It may well be part of a series.
Ed and I are both "greedy readers" who want more, more, more to add to our already groaning bookshelves, so this is indeed great news.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6240 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  04:27:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
What is middle grade fantasy? Stuff like Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  08:34:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
There seem to be an awful lot of age-categories in publishing these days - I seem to recall that once it was just Picture books, Kid books (in the case of one Swedish publisher, who I will save from mentioning the name of here, colour-coded so that you would know if the book was for boys or for girls [all the girls I've talked to about it says they read the boys books, cause the stuff for girls was boring, harmless crap, whereas the boys got adventures and pranks and standing up to adults]), and Grown-Up literature which you started reading once you'd grown out of Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl*.

*Though, personally, I pity anyone who's grown out of Roald Dahl's kid books.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  16:36:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Kajehase, I agree, but it's human nature to categorize, rank, and pigeon-hole, and it is the nature of marketing execs at publishers to invent new terminology and genre classifications in attempts to "focus" on "target readers" - - and so on. I'm with you, as is Ed. We both re-read picture books regularly with delight, not just "grownups' books."
Not that I've ever been in any danger of growing up, you understand.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13845 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  17:29:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Harry Potter was aimed at 'young adults'. Thank goodness everyone ignored that.

A LOT of marketing is based on the premise that customers are too stupid to make their own decisions, so companies have to help them with 'suggestions'. We wouldn't need all this 'demographics' BS if they'd just realize people can think for themselves (most, anyway).

And so I don't get into trouble (and because I just thought of this this morning while watching a News broadcast about today being Groundhog Day), here's a not-so-serious question: If a Shade sees his Shadow, can we expect another six weeks of winter?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2013 17:29:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  18:46:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Depends on whether or not it's his/her Shadow Weave said Shade sees (and say THAT three times fast, for extra points). When they say darkly in Westeros that "winter is coming," they've never seen a WEAVEwinter. Bwoohahahahah, and so forth.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13845 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  16:49:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wouldn't the Wailing Years be considered a WEAVEwinter?

(and what started out as a bit of a joke turned into an interesting train of thought for me.)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2013 01:24:09
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:22:10  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I'd Love to hear more about The Arcanauh. That's such tough-guy name it makes me wonder about him.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  01:12:27  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I don't know if you've ever done this before, but I'd love to see full spell descriptions of the Simbul's "Blood Ring" and an expansion of the "Vauntagar" magic from your Everwinking Eye article. In a more general sense, I'd love to see spell descriptions for any and all of the great magics your characters hurl in your stories.

Thanx
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  08:12:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
The Masked Mage, Ed sent me a reply to your latest:

I would love to do full spell and magic item descriptions, but right now, with D&D Next in flux/being developed, we're going "edition free."
Which inevitably means crunch-lite.
For instance, all of the poisons I wrote for El's Guide To The Realms had hard game stats, but they got edited out to keep the book "edition-free." (I put them in for the same reason lots of math teachers insist that students "show their work" [i.e. write down the steps to solving a problem, not just the answer]: to show that I'd worked out precise effects for them.)
So, someday, in my * cough * free time * cough cough * I will stat things out...better chase me and remind me, after the D&D Next rules are in full release, okay?

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on something else secret at the moment.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6240 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  08:42:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
THO, can you say if much attention will given toward linking Toril (and Abeir!) to Spelljammer and Planescape lore? These aspects have traditionally been glossed over in a superficial way, I'm hoping they receive a little bit of consideration and even just a single page of astronomical and planar data, to sort of locate the Realms (and Realmspace) on the "cosmic map".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  06:28:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ayrik, I have no idea, and neither does Ed. Neither one of us are Wizards employees or have ever been, and if we were, we probably wouldn't be talking publicly about details of what may or may not be published in the future. Sorry, but that's just the way things are. I would LOVE to know, don't get me wrong (and of course, as the father of the Realms, so would Ed), but right now, my guess is as good as yours.
Ed will hint or tell us outright what he can, when he can - - but that may not be before we can all read about it in published future Realms products.
Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Seeker

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  15:00:01  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I am embarking on a new adventure this weekend, gaming with my children. I am very excited, and so are the youngsters. I've worked up a system that, I hope, has the right amount of complexity to engage that part of their brains, and I have a story germ tailored toward their interests. 

I plan on setting the game in the Forgotten Realms in the Kingdom of Cormyr. Inspired by the opening chapters of Swords of Eveningstar, they will begin as young folk, who have long dreamed of adventure and hope to win a Royal Charter.

I'm hoping to glean some wisdom, and I have a few questions:
1. Have you ever ran a game for school-aged children (7-10) set in the Realms?
2. If so, what were your experiences in these games?
3. What sorts of stories have you/would you try to tell?

Any advice or input you, or anyone else in this wonderful community, can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  20:44:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Khonger
I'm hoping to glean some wisdom, and I have a few questions:
1. Have you ever ran a game for school-aged children (7-10) set in the Realms?
2. If so, what were your experiences in these games?
3. What sorts of stories have you/would you try to tell?

Thank you :)

Kids D&D rules here:

http://cubeofquazar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/homebrew-d-for-kids.html

I would change the dwarf ability from always finds secret doors, to always makes their save (how many secret doors can you put in a game?)

Other parent/kid game reports here

http://jovialpriest.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/rescue-princess.html

http://jovialpriest.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/kids-d-rescue-king.html

http://jovialpriest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/kids-d-rescue-queen.html

http://jovialpriest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/kids-d-rescue-queen-part-2.html

The Rainbow Lodge module was written by Barratia games specifically for kids, it used to be on a free download on LULU, but the company are no longer publishing? If a web search doesn't find it PM me and I will email it to you

A great thread here on incorportaing fairy tales into D&D
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=3945 with new classes and traditional fairytale tropes to use

Most of the original 'B' modules are good to go (is B1 still free on dndclassics.com?)

I am sure Ed will pipe up but a few thoughts from me:

Make sure the kids have FUN, FUN and even more FUN.
Make the NPC's fun, with the voices and mannerisms etc.
Let the kids clever/silly/wacky/brilliant ideas work when facing a challenge (so you 'reward' their interaction with the game and then they want to do more) and if they do get stuck then offer them three options i.e they need to get past a giant guard to get into the cave where the princess is, they get stuck so say, "Kids you can do one of the following....."
1: sneak past the sleepy giant very quietly
2: throw your bag of pepper in his face and make him sneeze so much you can run past him
3: wake the giant up, speak to him and offer him gold to let you into the cave

Hope this helps and good luck

Cheers

Damian
ps more here

http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=delvingdeeper&action=display&thread=8191

here
http://www.pfoorumi.net/beernbarbarians/fishin.pdf

here
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53494

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  05:09:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring the latest words of Ed, this time to Khonger:

Hi, Khonger. Yes, I've run D&D for young gamers quite a few times. Everything Damian (crazedventurers) said in his post is spot-on correct.
Susan Morris, who for years was the editor of my Realms novels, is a master of this, and on the Wednesday "Trade Day" before every GenCon gives presentations to teachers, librarians, and parents on running D&D for children.
I find that children love a little mystery, and a little suspense, but vary widely in their taste for violence, andget frustrated by mysteries they won't be able to solve for a long time to come (they need be able to get to solutions quickly, until you subtly "train" them to have more patience and longer attention spans.
Vivid acting and voices works a LOT better than game mechanics or even adhering to the rules at all, and so do lots of little and frequent rewards rather than long slogs through puzzle after trap after monster (or worse, a series of puzzles, or a series of traps). Lots of character interaction is good; monsters who talk to you are inherently more interesting than monsters who don't.
And a good DM with players of any age is listening and watching intently, all the time, to his or her players, to see what engages THEM. It simply doesn't matter how brilliantly an adventure is written or what the rules are, if the results bore them or just don't appeal to their interests.
And intrigue and chances to spy and to talk ALWAYS beat endless hacking at things.
Above all, have fun. If you aren't enjoying it, your players can tell - - fast - - and your lack of enjoyment will prove contagious.
Hope this helps as an accompaniment to Damian's excellent advice.

So saith Ed, who has been a Realms DM to players older than 90, and younger than 6.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  06:35:34  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Thanx THO, and thanx to Ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  06:30:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome. (And your request about The Arcanauh has been passed on to Ed.)
Ed has been busy co-creating Realms ideas and future lore "by the bucketload," as he out it, these last few days, but hopes to very soon return to full and colourful lore replies here.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  06:36:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Mmmm buckets of lore.
More, more, more!
um... my rhyming hits a door.
And from here on I can only bore.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  17:19:47  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Buckets of lore sounds like pure win for Realms fans to me. :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  00:52:24  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but my search-fu is weak and I am intimidated by the quantity of pages to search through for every mention of the word "camel" on Candlekeep.

What are two-humped camels called, in the Realms? I'm content to have everyone refer to any camel as a camel, regardless of how many humps it has, but it seems that someone somewhere must have a name for them. In this world we call them Bactrian, but the very fact that Bactria is a name associated with a place on Earth makes it (in my mind) necessary that there be a Realmsian name for two-humped camels which does not include the word Bactrian.

If there's another name for dromedaries, that would be cool too! Also, names for what we distinguish as "African" vs "Asiatic" elephants?

I'm sure you've all encountered worse, but I apologize for my oddness.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000