Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  00:32:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Zandilar, I believe you're thinking of Alok Silverspear (the elven leader), and if so, yes, those elves would accept a human (they worked with we Knights), though they would covertly "watch" any such humans for signs of treachery.
Rivenhelm, Ed tells me:

Tyrluk's way-symbol is a side-on horsehead with a plaited mane (bound into a border, not flowing free) and a flat bottom across the base of the neck (think the way knights are printed in many books showing chess games with views of the board), and with its nose pointing to the viewer's left.
Waymoot's is a three simplified-to-elongated-triangles pine trees, standing side by side.
Espar's is a plough (prow dug into the ground, and its handle) facing the viewer's left (plowing in that direction).
Hilp's is a side-on arched wooden bridge (simple, rail-less).

So saith Ed. Who will return with proper replies when things aren't quite so frantic for him.
love to all,
THO
Immersea's is two wavy horizontal lines, one above the other (waves).
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  01:32:16  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
Good night sages, Lady THO and Ed.

Like Bootravsky, I have a question regarding the wonderful EGPEFR, also in the chapter of "Gods and Followers":

In Malar's entry, in the first paragraph of the "Secular Aims" (p. 153), it is stated that Bloodhunters (Malarite clergy) are subject to the priests of Silvanus. I think it should be Talos, right? They are the Gods of Fury, and in Silvanus' entry on p. 165, the "Creed" section says: "Fight those who do the bidding of Malar (...)". Is it just a mistake, or there is a more complex relation between Silvanus and Malar here?

I've also noted, on p. 78 "Where one's hat is hung" that the phrase "The average strongchest (...)" is in the last paragraph of the left column and at the second paragraph of the right column... But well, probably someone has noticed this repetition already.

EDIT: typos and clarifying info

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 10 Jan 2013 01:37:36
Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Seeker

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  15:06:02  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message
Hi all,
I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. As I am a big fan of the Ultra Lich Larloch I started wondering if anyone could actually deafeat him in a one-on-one scenario.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29795 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  16:23:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wozniak1995

Hi all,
I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. As I am a big fan of the Ultra Lich Larloch I started wondering if anyone could actually deafeat him in a one-on-one scenario.

I would imagine that Larloch has layers upon layers of contingencies in place to insure he never gets into a one-on-one scenario...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Seeker

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  16:33:13  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message
So Larloch cannot be beaten?
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Seeker

42 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  17:50:37  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Wozniak1995, I agree with the wise words of Wooly here. The chance of someone beating Larloch are very small, but the chance of him being unwillingly forced into a fight until his destruction is infinitesimal.

There are beings who are arguably capable of taking on Larloch -- Iolaum, the Srinshee. But these arch-powers of the realms are more like natural phenomena, like volcanos and tsunamis, things which are meant to just exist but would rarely influence your campaign.

Let's see how good old Elminster interacts with Larloch in Ed's upcoming novel The Herald.

Edited by - Infamous on 10 Jan 2013 17:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2387 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  17:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Plus, Larloch is one of those people who can literally blow up the world. Why would anyone try and fight him?

And I can already tell you Ed's answer: It depends.

The subject, or ones like it (Larloch's power level) has come up before in these threads. Search around a little and you'll probably find some interesting stuff.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29795 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  19:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Maybe he can, but it'd take a lot more firepower than just about any mortals can muster.

My point, though, is that Larloch is a lich who has been around for more than 1000 years. He's a plans within plans within plans type. Forcing a one-on-one confrontation with someone like that is going to be nearly impossible...

And that's not factoring in his 60+ servitor liches, who I'm sure have been the real opponents in multiple fights against "Larloch".

Lastly, with his intelligence, time on the world, and sheer arcane might, he's bound to have countless other servants, many of whom likely have no idea who is really signing their paycheck. It'd be easy enough to use them to redirect anyone who might even think of challenging Larloch.

Someone trying to get to Larloch to fight him would have better odds of walking into any temple in the Realms, demanding to see the deity the place is dedicated to, and actually receiving that audience.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  22:16:44  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Lol, You know, I actually Dm'ed an encounter like that once. My hubby's PC attempted to summon her shadow-deamon servant,- and got the god of death instead. (They happened to have the same name, and she was from off-world, and was unaware of that fact...)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4770 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  22:21:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

If you want an answer in the context of the Forgotten Realms as a campaign setting, then the is answer is indeed "no". Larloch is a plot device, a big, bad nasty that people whisper about and controls and manipulates people and events through an intricate web of servitors (some knowingly, most unwittingly) and magical controls that cause things to "happen".

If you want an answer in terms of a game you are planning to run as a DM or you are a PC in a campaign where Larloch features prominently as a "monster" rather than an NPC, then indeed he can be beaten, just like any monster. Why of course he would want to fight a group of PCs toe to toe and risk his existence when he is an ageless lich with time, money and magic to spare up his sleeve is a question you or your DM will have to come up with an answer for.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:48:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, let's try to keep the side-chatter to a minimum. There are already plenty of existent scrolls where we can talk about Larloch. Please leave this scroll just for questions and answers to and from Ed.

Thank you.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:54:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've a quick query from Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

On pg. 40 you note that dragon blood sold in Calimshan tends to be "inky black with gold flecks in it, ... "

I'm curious as to whether this might be an indication of "manufactured/artificial dragon blood" meant for the casual "rich sucker" street buyer? Or indicative, perhaps, of the way some traders may ensure that their own personal mark -- such as the addition of curious additives -- which might attract more buyers over that of their rivals for such an expensive product?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jan 2013 15:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Seeker

30 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  09:39:22  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Thank you THO for the quick response! I always enjoy your experiences in gameplay with Ed! I think that a scroll "Questions for THO" is not long in coming. :-)

Would have responded a bit earlier, but I was going back through some old Polyhedron magazines, and for any of you who may be thinking of purchasing/or are able, should do so. I had forgotten how much good stuff Ed put into the Everwinking Eye articles. One of my favorite things (among many) about the Old Grey Box was the "Current Clack" section. In many of the early Eye articles there are Current Clack sections. Most of them not even dealing with the Vast.

Which in a round about way brings me to my question to you THO. Can you, or would you, share some of the hooks, local legends or stories, that Ed may have introduced to the PC Knights when they first entered Eveningstar? Sort of like a player-pack primer of Eveningstar. I'm thinking things that Ed may have thrown out there that, for one reason or another, was never followed up on, and through the passage of time doesn't ever seem likely that they would. I've been throwing many plot hooks at my players to keep their heads spinning. Anything you can offer would be fantastic. Just by way of example, and by no means what I'm expecting; though if you have hooks with this much detail by all means, please share. Anyway here was the latest one I plan to unleash on my players early 1350's DR:

Caravan masters have reported a strange occurrence when passing east through the Stormhorns. Theron's Fall, a swift running waterfall that can be seen briefly from the road off in the distance ere it empties into the Farsea Mashes, was falling upward into the sky.
IF THE PC's QUESTION DUNMAN: Two days back an adventurer by name of Kheldiir "the Silent", who was deep in his cups after a stay at the temple tending serious wounds, was seen speaking to an unknown man and bragging wildly about his company (the fairly well known group among those that hire caravan guards called the Ring of Protection -- named after the first magic the group found Dunman will point out with a smile) and how they had found the secret of Theron's Fall. Little is known of the landmark. Mostly it is a sign to travelers going east that they will soon reach civilized lands. But a little known local legend has it, that the wizard known as Theron of the Stormhorns or Theron "Nine-fingers", met his end battling a great red wrym and plunging, wreathed in flames, over the falls. Before the fateful fall, it is said he managed to sever one of the dragon's limbs. Most consider the story pure fancy, but locals down the years have reported seeing a "three-legged" red flying about in the area. What Dunman heard of Kheldiir's story was that the company's mage had stumbled upon a ledger in the Court in Suzail of a Theron of the Stormhorns being slain by Urthos Greencloak in a spell dual on the Promanade. And after a stay in Tyrluk the company met with the oldest townsperson who told them that Theron did not fall there, but had actually lived there, and some say buried all his magical treasures under the rushing waters of the waterfall. Kheldiir was heard loudly proclaiming that their wizard cast a reverse gravity spell on the crest of the spillway so as to make the search for the hidden cache easier. After many an hour they thought they found an outline of what was possibly a door. They never did have the chance to find out, as they were beset upon by a red dragon. A red with one leg missing! Of the group Kheldiir did not say more except that he was sorely wounded, and it was by blind luck that he made it here to the House of the Morning. Dunman had dismissed the man's tale as pure fancy, but just this morning a dead man was pulled from the river, who Dunman identified as Kheldiir.

Obviously this has the potential to be a full on campaign with many questions to be answered. But it is something that springs from something very small -- to continue my theme from the last post I suppose.

Thanks for all you do here Lady Herald! Hope the new year is treating you well.

R
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  10:05:58  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Thieran, being as Dethek is Ed's creation, for the Realms, I figured that the gnomes of the Realms would use it, and Ed just confirmed that: [...]

Fantastic, thank you very much Ed & Dame la Capuche!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1381 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  12:06:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Did this new race die stillborn, prey to editorial hazards?
I am fairly certain this is a reference to 5e's Dark Elves (the 'reborn' Drow).
No, this one isn't new at all.
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Page 40 of which book, Sage?
See his previous line.
quote:
Does it specify the intended use of this dragon blood? Limner's ink, all-purpose wondrous medicinal curative, a magical reagent, a refreshing beverage, an industrial lubricant?
Most likely, components for scroll ink and enchantments. Used in tempering liquids (Blades of Ochir Naal - Dragon #213, arandur items - VGtATM), blue's in baths to soak behir scales for electicity-resistant armor (Elminster's Ecologies), etc. and other alchemical processes - e.g. cold and flame elixirs and blueshine (VGtATM).
Yes, a big subject. Perhaps worth a separate scroll to collect old lore complementing the answer.

It would be interesting to know the same about wyvern blood and venom (aside of using as intended), if you please.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6165 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  13:07:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Haha, oops, my dumb. Question withdrawn.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Seeker

30 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  18:53:11  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Pass along my gratitude on the way-marker lore Ed provided. Above and beyond as usual! From you both. Thanks!!

Note to self: must remember to refresh the browser. Page 4 really snuck up on me.

R
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  17:01:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Rivenhelm, Ed tells me:

Tyrluk's way-symbol is a side-on horsehead with a plaited mane (bound into a border, not flowing free) and a flat bottom across the base of the neck

Excellent, many thanks for these, really really useful pieces of lore

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13395 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  18:52:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, a less-complicated question inspired by my new paste-together FR map (of the trail maps).

Is there anything special/different about the Sapphires of the Crystal Grot (that would 'set them apart' in some fashion then sapphires from elsewhere)? Perhaps not something physically noticeable... just some little factoid about the sheer quantity, perhaps.

I feel an 'NDA' coming on for that one. So lets try another, way more complicated question: What are the 'limits' of the deities portfolios in regards to things 'outside' of Realmspace?

For instance, Oghma should have access to 'all knowledge' (not being somehow obscured by deities by use of their own portfolios), but what about knowledge of other Crystal Spheres? Would Oghma be completely ignorant of things happening on, lets say, Oerth (GH)? For instance, I picture a vast library where his scribes (devout followrs in their afterlife) record every little thing as it pertains to Realmspace. Suppose one of them was recording information about Graz'zt (and lets pretend this is done like a Wiki entry) - would he even be able to write down Iuz's name under 'relationships? Is this sort of info only accessible to oghma if someone - ANYONE - within Realmspace has access to it? (and given the nature of the Forgotten Realms, that would in a sense make Realms deities somewhat more powerful then most).

And not just Oghma - that was just an easy example to make (because thats the line of thought that inspired this question). If someone from Krynn, etc, dies on Toril, does Kelemvor judge them, or does he just send them on to where they are supposed to go (or does that happen automatically, without any input from any Torillian power)? Can Cyric walk up to Asmodeus and ask him about Golarion, or would Cyric be unable to even comprehend another world (since he is definitely a one-world god). In other words, would a deity's knowledge of another plane/world somehow undermine the portfolio's of deities from that realm? Could Oghma somehow acquire more knowledge of another world then a deity from that world?

Or is ANY facet of these other worlds simply obscured from them?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2013 18:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6165 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  19:06:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
One of the FR novels (Tymora's Luck, I think) provides a canon example of Oghma (er, perhaps it was Milil) exerting divine power on a crowd of people in Sigil. Basically, they were scrying on gods as idle entertainment, this Realms god detected their scrying attempt and decided to provide an hypnotic bardic performance which effectively held them enthralled while he began to implant suggestions. It's arguable whether this was a demonstration of divine or arcane power (and if so, if this somehow bypassed the Lady of Pain's regard) or if it was just a perfect bardic performance/manipulation delivered by the god of bards.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  09:43:15  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi THO Hi Ed!

First:
Today I am wondering if there is any kind of ritual challenge two rival leaders in the hobgoblin tribal system can put forth to eventually usurp the other leaders tribe/clan/warband, or become leader of their tribe/clan/warband themselves?
Eventually the tribal council has to agree to the challenge?

Second:
On Holorarar, I have red statements in dwarves deep that the Hobgoblins there have a quite stable kingdom, and then again ( Underdark 3.5) it says there are dozens of tribes, each with thousands of warriors warring for domination.

Can you share some more info about the size and population level of the cavern system talked about, economy and movers and shakers? DID they support the sithilisians? And do they have contacts to the tribes in the gorge of the fallen idol?
- Probably all heavy NDA's but still

As always, any bit of information is much appreciated.

Yours, the greenskin lover ;)
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  16:28:01  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message
Alright, I have a question about abilities.

In my head, I have a rogue who was born with the ability to actually see things normally hidden without the use of a True Seeing spell, and interact with them as well. For me, these include creatures that are normally in the astral plane, whether they have to be summoned from an object, or just freshly dead and on their way to crossing over. For the character I thought up, one of the things he constantly sees and interacts with is a blue spirit phoenix that's been helping him out as a rogue by showing him where to go, where traps are hidden, and where the target for theft is.

What I'm wondering about is if something like this is actually possible in the Forgotten Realms?

The clouds have many stories to tell if you look at them close enough, some you already know, but some have yet to be written.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Auragongal, this is certainly possible in the Realms, because Ed has had several NPCs over the years (that we players know of), and some PCs that various people have played with Ed as DM, who have "wild talents" similar to the rogue you describe.
So sure, it's possible, it's something Ed goes in for, and it's certainly something that "fits" with, and works within, the Realms.
(Of course, some DMs may not want them in Realms games they're running, but that's a different matter.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Seeker

42 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  08:19:43  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Hi there!

Milady THO, I have a question regarding what Ed had in mind when he created a few characters. Somewhere, I read that Larloch was created so that there would be an uber-evil in the Realms, something to make even the most powerful wary of shadows and manipulation. This really helped me understand Larloch and his place in the grand scheme of things.

(It's funny how that works. Tolkien once said he created Saruman just to have someone imprision Gandalf, so that the hobbits would actually be in danger.)

So, small folk are created to give flavor to the Realms; they are the ones who really matter, the ones who make the place seem alive. They are the reason why we care. But the big shots are more likely to exist to fulfill a certain role, or to be an archetype of sorts.

I believe Ed has explained why Elminster was created, and what is his role. What about Ioulaum, and the Srinshee, and any other he cares to name?

I realize this is a little bit of a behind the curtains question. Maybe I could offer another question: does the deepest understanding of the Weave always lie with the greatest spell casters? Are the two synonymous?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  18:48:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Hi there!

Milady THO, I have a question regarding what Ed had in mind when he created a few characters. Somewhere, I read that Larloch was created so that there would be an uber-evil in the Realms, something to make even the most powerful wary of shadows and manipulation. This really helped me understand Larloch and his place in the grand scheme of things.

Ed's quotes from the Realms-L re Larloch can be found here

http://web.archive.org/web/20021121003441/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-larloch.htm

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000