Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  01:48:35  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I was at Comic Con yesterday and purchased the Balrog from Sabertooth games and immediately wondered if any of the denizens of middle earth ever crossed into Faerun and of course wondered has a Balrog ever set foot on Faerun in your minds eye Ed?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  10:37:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed!

Do the 20 or so miles of tenanted farms owned by the Spurbright noble family that are located north of Espar (as mentioned on page 141 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr) have a name?

That is, something that an NPC could tack on to their first name, so that instead of "NPC of Espar" they are "NPC of 'that group of farm's name'"?

Thank you both.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  02:37:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, I pinged Ed (who was deep in Thanksgiving with family; in Canada, Thanksgiving is now instead of November), and he more or less instantly shot back this to me:

"Stonebolt Fields" is the collective name that has stuck to the Spurbright Steads (much to the annoyance of several of the elder Spurbright females, though younger family members tend to like the sound of it, and use it themselves). To wider Cormyr, "Spurbright Steads" is a name for documents and formal negotiations; "Stonebolt Fields" is what everyone uses in daily speech.

So saith Ed, and there you have it! (Ed's been steaming through upcoming Forging the Realms columns and some Primeval Thule stuff these last few days, BTW. World's busiest writer, I swear...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  03:13:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Many thanks THO. I appreciate the fast reply.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving, Ed!

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 13 Oct 2013 05:31:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5032 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  15:01:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
My question concerns the recent article - A Handful of Hauntings.

There are rumors on the merchant trails that I've been riding of the Sighing Lady taking more than just arms and legs temporarily. In fact, these rumors lead to men suddenly looking like "Ken Dolls" as one would call it from your world. Are there any truths to these rumors? Also, do the "dangle wards" being sold by Thaerivus Yonderskull actually provide any protection from the sighing lady? Are there any truths to the rumors that Thaerivus Yonderskull made up the rumors in order to sell "dangle wards"?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Chronos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  19:06:11  Show Profile Send Chronos a Private Message
Just a quick question to add to the ever growing pile. Tasseldale's Grand Mairshar Elizzaria Whitehand is stated in the 2nd ed campaign setting to be a former priest of Helm who left the church over a religious dispute (although The Dalelands supplement says she was a priest of Tymora). Can Ed shed any light on the nature of the dispute? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13115 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  20:32:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A couple of questions. Hopefully the first will enable a quick response, the other is... well... more of a 'thought exercise', and I realize Ed's spare thoughts are far and few between at this time.

First, I'd like to say I was never a big fan of 'mob movies' - I just never got the appeal for bad people. However, of late I've become enamored of the cable series Boardwalk Empire, and although the Main character - Nooky Thompsom (played by the wonderful actor Steve Buscemi) - is technically a 'bad guy', he is more thoughtful then your typical gangster - more along the lines of how I picture epic background villains (I find it hard even to use that term to describe him - he's more like a rainbow of 'shades of grey', amoral by normal standards, but with his own code of ethics). In the current plot, he is trying to expand his empire...

So it got me thinking about similar 'ganster types' in FR - perhaps someone like Elaith Craulnober. I realize all major FR cities have some form of 'organized crime', even if its truly in the 'underground' (ie, Skullport), with the possible exception of Cormyrian cities. Has anyone ever tried to make a Faerun-wide criminal network? Lets say, expand their activities outside their city, and tried to take-over someone else's turf? Or is there a real organization - that these top-tear criminals meet every so often to discuss business, and work out their differences (and make deals, naturally)? Okay, believe it or not, that was the EASY question.

Now for the second - in your opinion, who would win in a fight, Larloch or Vecna? I am only asking this because Larloch seems to be a favorite topic around here - the guy's got some sort of 'bizarro charisma' LOL - and in my mash-up campaign, I have the Greyhawk lands to the west of Faerun (over where you had Anchorome), and since both those personages exist in my HB concoction, I have to think about stuff like this (not really... but its fun to contemplate). If such a situation existed - that they were continents apart but on the same world - what would they think about each other? I think of Szass Tam as a 'Vecna wanna-be', but Larloch, he's just a whole 'nother animal.

EDIT: and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Oct 2013 20:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  08:48:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed!

I am sending lots of mental warm fuzzies with this inquiry, because the Realms remains a happy, bright place for me, no matter what else is going on in the real world. Thank you, you two.

Q. Ed, was Vangerdahast capable of moving a sentient mind from a broken body into a healthy body whose mind has been ruined (by mind-reaming, psychic blasts or the like)?

Q. If yes, did he ever actually do it?

I ask because your article I Gloat in Your General Direction! mentions at least one war wizard who was left a drooling mess, and the thought occurred to me that his body might serve nicely for the mind of the other war wizard who was physically maimed by the shapechanged illithid, if that maiming left him unable to cast spells.

As always, thank you both.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Oct 2013 08:49:56
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5032 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  18:42:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A couple of questions. Hopefully the first will enable a quick response, the other is... well... more of a 'thought exercise', and I realize Ed's spare thoughts are far and few between at this time.

First, I'd like to say I was never a big fan of 'mob movies' - I just never got the appeal for bad people. However, of late I've become enamored of the cable series Boardwalk Empire, and although the Main character - Nooky Thompsom (played by the wonderful actor Steve Buscemi) - is technically a 'bad guy', he is more thoughtful then your typical gangster - more along the lines of how I picture epic background villains (I find it hard even to use that term to describe him - he's more like a rainbow of 'shades of grey', amoral by normal standards, but with his own code of ethics). In the current plot, he is trying to expand his empire...

So it got me thinking about similar 'ganster types' in FR - perhaps someone like Elaith Craulnober. I realize all major FR cities have some form of 'organized crime', even if its truly in the 'underground' (ie, Skullport), with the possible exception of Cormyrian cities. Has anyone ever tried to make a Faerun-wide criminal network? Lets say, expand their activities outside their city, and tried to take-over someone else's turf? Or is there a real organization - that these top-tear criminals meet every so often to discuss business, and work out their differences (and make deals, naturally)? Okay, believe it or not, that was the EASY question.

Now for the second - in your opinion, who would win in a fight, Larloch or Vecna? I am only asking this because Larloch seems to be a favorite topic around here - the guy's got some sort of 'bizarro charisma' LOL - and in my mash-up campaign, I have the Greyhawk lands to the west of Faerun (over where you had Anchorome), and since both those personages exist in my HB concoction, I have to think about stuff like this (not really... but its fun to contemplate). If such a situation existed - that they were continents apart but on the same world - what would they think about each other? I think of Szass Tam as a 'Vecna wanna-be', but Larloch, he's just a whole 'nother animal.

EDIT: and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

Markustay... organized crime syndicate = Zhentarim... their primary focus is on mercantilism, but they aren't above other things... granted, there's a few competitors, but they're the most widespread. Also, its Nucky not Nooky.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  19:08:57  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Yeah, most of the groups from cloak and dagger meet that description at least a little.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
776 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  20:09:49  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
I always think of the Zhents as being too open rather than underground, but certainly they qualify a little.

The group I think of would be the Knights of the Shield or the Kraken Soceity, truly underground and certainly more widespread than one city or region. But as The Masked Mage says, the Cloak and Dagger sourcebook (which is great) details many groups that are similar in nature. Unless we're missing something in the request? Would like to hear what Ed says in anycase.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13115 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  14:16:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
EDIT: Almost forgot the reason (question) I came in here for.

Blackbarn is mentioned in Power of Faerūn twice (in the Border Kingdoms), once in regards to its location near The Land of Two Princes, and the other just it's position on the map. Whats the deal there? Every other place (AFAIK) on the map was detailed - was this something that got cut from the finished product?

Is this info located elsewhere, like in some old Polyhedron?

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Markustay... organized crime syndicate = Zhentarim... their primary focus is on mercantilism, but they aren't above other things... granted, there's a few competitors, but they're the most widespread.
Once again, my point was drowned-out by my rambling. I know the Zhentarrim. I know the names of dozen or so 'thief/assassin guilds' (Fire Knives, etc). I know these groups each operate within a limited area (except, perhaps, the Zhentarrim). Then there are other 'Crime families' like The Rundeen, etc. What I want to know is, do these guys - like Semmenon, Craulnober, etc - sometimes sit-down and get together to 'discuss business'. Is it truly a 'global network' of various groups that respect each other's territory, or is more of a 'every man for himself' sort of thing.

I think the group in the best position to run such a 'summit of evil' (lol) would the Kraken Society, since they stay on good terms with all of them.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Also, its Nucky not Nooky.
Have you seen the man in action?

This week he violated The Medium... man, she should have seen that coming.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2013 14:24:53
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  16:07:19  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT: Almost forgot the reason (question) I came in here for.

Blackbarn is mentioned in Power of Faerūn twice (in the Border Kingdoms), once in regards to its location near The Land of Two Princes, and the other just it's position on the map. Whats the deal there? Every other place (AFAIK) on the map was detailed - was this something that got cut from the finished product?

Is this info located elsewhere, like in some old Polyhedron?

There is a whole The Border Kingdoms article by Ed on Blackbarn

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20060531a

Edited by - rjfras on 18 Oct 2013 16:08:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13115 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  16:57:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks, rjfras - I hadn't even thought to look through online articles.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2013 :  09:08:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well again, THO and Ed,

Ed, regarding your Eye on the Realms article in Dragon 428 titled "The Speaking Skull of Themtraver Hall," I have two questions:

1. Did Shalasstrae Craethil have any other dark humored names for the caravels in her shipping fleet, besides “The Fatal Mistake”?

2. By any chance does Shalas still run her business (through factors and the like)?

Bonus question: What are the largest non-sentient mushrooms (if any) to be found in the King’s Forest and how big are they?

Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  07:18:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again Ed and THO,

On page 1 of "Elminster Enraged," El recalls a few words to a ballad that's described as one of his favorites among the ballads composed by Storm. The words are, "In the endless dance of death in the dark."

Ed, can you please tell us the name of that ballad, as well as when it was composed?

As well, if it's OK, any of the circumstances around its creation?

Thank you both.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13115 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  12:18:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, I just noticed another map discrepancy when comparing some older maps; on the map of the Shining South that came with the Dragonspear module, it shows Veldorn between Luiren, Dambrath, and the Forest of Amtar. I tried to see where Veldorn is on the Fonstad maps, but its not even shown.

Was that your original placement for Veldorn, or was that just a glitch on one of the early maps?

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  03:07:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO, I wonder if either of you could supply details about the venerable Turlang the Thoughtful? Did you ever encounter him in your adventures? Can you comment on his appearance (particularly, the species of tree he resembles), personality, and mannerisms? Thank ye kindly.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  19:04:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all, after too long a silence (off on work-related Net silence traveling). Great questions piling up, and relayed to Ed. Fellfire, I can make a start on answering you, by referencing Ed's notes and the few, fleeting encounters we've had with Turlang in play:
Turlang has appeared as various sorts of tree (always deciduous, and usually a shadowtop, though apparently he formerly favored "being" a blueleaf; he can shapechange fairly rapidly, apparently). He is always tall and "sturdy" of build. His speech is grave but he has a wry sense of humor, he's a very good listener and VERY patient and self-controlled (it's hard to tell if he ever gets furious, because he doesn't betray it by looks, voice, or choice of words), and he likes to study particular humans so he understands what they want, fear, and are motivated by (those who might have some impact on the High Forest, that is; he doesn't ask about, or go seek out, humans far away who will probably never come near his beloved woodlands or affect them).
Turlang often "hides" for long periods by going immobile in the thick forest as "just one more tree," and can apparently commune with many trees over great distances during such periods, to gather their observations and opinions over intrusions into the forest, observed magic, etc.
Turlang is in no sense a coward, but is very pragmatic; if he can see no gain (or more loss than overall eventual gain, if he reveals himself) in thwarting someone setting a fire, he won't do so - - but he sledom forgives and NEVER forgets and will strike when a foe is sleeping, wounded, distracted by other matters, or otherwise vulnerable. He never gloats, he just gets even, leaving no "out" for an enemy and "making VERY sure."
He has long-term projects of rebuilding and extending woodlands, by outstripping woodcutters and the effects of fires, not by trying to fight the causes of tree loss directly. Most elves and druids regard him as a firm, reliable friend and ally, because you know exactly where you stand with Turlang.

There. Ed's notes that he's shared with me run out at that point, so going on would be my speculation and creation, not his...so I'll stop now.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  19:07:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Jeremy, re. these:
"Q. Ed, was Vangerdahast capable of moving a sentient mind from a broken body into a healthy body whose mind has been ruined (by mind-reaming, psychic blasts or the like)?

Q. If yes, did he ever actually do it?"

Ed tells me the answers are both "yes," and that he'll elaborate when he can. Such movements, involving Elminster and some bodies, happen in the Sage of Shadowdale books, notably in ELMINSTER ENRAGED.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  19:10:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And another one for Jeremy. Re. this:
"1. Did Shalasstrae Craethil have any other dark humored names for the caravels in her shipping fleet, besides “The Fatal Mistake”?"
Ed tells me "Yes" to this one, too, and adds two examples: "Blundering Devastation" and "Swift Fell Visitation" (he promises more when he can snatch the time).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
"Blundering Devastation" sounds like a great nickname for a large and not-too-bright dragon...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  00:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. It does indeed.
And being as Ed has given us some really impressive dragon names, over the years...
. . . yet we can ALWAYS use more . . . (hint hint)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
THO, ur the bomb, baby. It's my birthday and I've overindulged. Happy Halloween. I foresee nightmares of being bashed by a log whilst I slumber beneath the sturdy old tree I put my back against. Thanx for the handoff. xoxo. (wink,wink, nudge, nudge)

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 01 Nov 2013 06:09:20
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  16:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message
Greetings.

I happen to have a question about spells and formulas (words, inscriptions and gestures used). If it was asked before, I am sorry.

Around the world of Toril, every nation, every country uses similar basic druid, wizard and cleric spells.

But let's imagine that wu-jen from Wa of Kara-Tur and cleric from Swordcoast meet in duel or any other event in which they can see spells of each other.

What differences will be seen? Or are the somatic, verbal and other ingredients are absolutely the same for two foreign to each other cultures?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000