Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  01:38:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I figured Sage was attempting to defuse another of my often-wordy and prickly critiques before it got any more momentum. Not my thread. My bad.

In a more relevant vein, I notice "Ostrav" and "Palishchuk" in FR9 are Ostra and Palischuk in the paper atlas (which includes FR9 among its sources cited). FR Wiki notes that Bob Salvatore uses "Palishchuk" in a couple of novels as well as FR9, but there's no entry yet in that wiki for Ostra/Ostrav. Which spellings are the originals, and do they have in-game roots/meanings?
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  15:57:30  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

<stuff>

Given all of that, is there any reason I should be interested in 5e?

That question interests me too as I am pretty much in the same place as Hoondatha.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  15:57:58  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Sorry, double post.

Edited by - arry on 22 Aug 2013 15:58:58
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  16:09:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed is still e-silent (because he got home from GenCon just in time to do laundry and repack and turn right around to jaunt off to FanExpo), but I'd like to thank Gomez for the thoughtful gift of Spank the Monkey (which Ed delivered to me with the appropriate leer, and which I will put to VERY good use, a-hem).
Ed is home safe and sound, really enjoyed GenCon this year (though his aging body no longer enjoys the frenetic pace), and wants to publicly thank and salute Garen Thal for being a fine companion throughout the con. Ed estimates that between the Columbus event and GenCon and the drive home (yep, a delighted gamer rushed up to him at a rest area in Michigan with books to sign), he signed well over 3,000 autographs this past week. Some of them even on books.
Demzer, the author of "Filfaeril, Bound And Willing" has not yet been publicly guessed. By all means have a go...
I didn't manage to make it down to Indy this year, or even to Columbus. Sigh. I'll need to be punished for that, scribes...
I will ferry Ed's replies as he makes them. Hoondatha, I understand that Chris Perkins can't make it to FanExpo, so Ed will be doing the D&D Next panel solo, and I'm sure that'll warm him up for making a proper answer to you. For what it's worth, we Knights have decided to accept the time jump and Spellplague, and enjoy the "newer Realms products" as tales and game glimpses of a world that will come to pass...but we're still playing in the very early 1370s, and have no intention of "speeding up" or "jumping time" in our game. Ed has told me to buy and read every last one of the books in The Sundering, because he's read the first two in their entirety before publication, and is just finishing the third, and thus far loves them all as very well-written books set in the Realms. They're character-focused, and so can be enjoyed a self-contained stories (though Ed says both Bob's and Paul's books will have less impact on a reader who hasn't followed previous books starring the same characters).
Must run now. For some odd, odd reason my bosses actually expect me to work, at work.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  16:50:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
THO,

I was very excited to hear that Lords of Waterdeep is coming soon to an iPad version. Have you and/od Ed had a chance to experience it? and if so how comparable to the physical board game is it? Such as anything added , enhanced or missing?

It was also very cool to hear Ed's The Herald will start off in Candlekeep, where better to originate any tale of realmslore......now only if it featured you receiving your just desserts from the scribes within it's walls....

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Aug 2013 16:51:11
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  16:52:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't like issuing pesky reminders, folks, but can we try and limit the side-chatter, or at least redirect it to another scroll?

Thanks.

all is forgiven Sage.......we understand this warning was intended for Wooly's hi-jacking of this scroll in the early fall of 2009

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  17:28:48  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Here are my first two guesses for the author of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing":

- Lord Dier Emmarask
- Filfaeril Stormbillow (the Marsemberran(?) retired adveturer)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  18:15:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't like issuing pesky reminders, folks, but can we try and limit the side-chatter, or at least redirect it to another scroll?

Thanks.

all is forgiven Sage.......we understand this warning was intended for Wooly's hi-jacking of this scroll in the early fall of 2009

Now, to stay on topic, I'll ask about a couple things I like...

Are there kercpa (the intelligent squirrels) in the Realms? If so, where can they be found?

And are there any fae in Waterdeep?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  21:29:57  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Are there kercpa (the intelligent squirrels) in the Realms? If so, where can they be found?

Despite being on perhaps-thinning ice, I must object.

Our resident hamster just wants to know where the squirrels will be coming from, so that he can hide the foodstuffs he stole from them. Don't tell him!

Long live the Kercpa Offensive!

Okay, I'll try to behave.

Monte Veldelio is described in FR9 as one of the first human mining towns in the Galena/Earthspur mountains. A dark event occurred about ten years after the mine was opened, and since then it's been a ghost town. Have specific dates been set down for the establishment of the mine/town and the aforementioned dark event?

Due to the lack of bodies, I'm guessing whatever happened to the miners was more intelligent than a simple winter storm. Perhaps a dragon, but those don't usually result in ghosts. Something darker... does it have a name?

I'm kinda wondering how much of this is still open to development, because it has Awesome Adventure written all over it, and I figure that question will be answered by finding out whether any of it is under NDAs. However, let that not stop you from sharing whatever can be shared regarding Monte Veldelio! Perhaps including who/what it was named after. Is it in a mountain named Veldelio?

(tangent/seque to the question below): I recall THO saying a few pages back that Mane's band went east of the Moonsea, into the Earthspurs... Monte Veldelio is described as lying at the juncture of the Earthspurs and the Galenas... but did Mane's band stop here, either intentionally or not?

This may have been asked before; I haven't seen it... was Mane's band one of the groups played by the players of the "home game" or a solely nonplayer group created for competition or intrigue or development?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Aug 2013 21:34:47
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  21:48:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
First, I want to say thanks for the diligent work being done to return the Realms to something similar to what it was in the beginning. I have often said that Greyhawk was like the 'first girlfriend' and Dragonlance was a brief (but great) affair, but the Realms is like the woman you marry...for life. She is rich and she is beautiful and I'm glad to have been allowed to play in her world. Though I must admit I've looked at other women (Darksun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Planescape ) and I will admit I had an affair with Eberron, but I don't think FR is too jealous.

I have a few questions but am wondering if they really belong here (they are more focused on the business end of the Realms that actual requests for lore)...please move them to another thread if need be. So here goes, Ed/THO,

1. Will published material be returning to the 'uncertain narrator' in the future?
2. Are there any plans to start releasing lore that the company has been sitting on for the past 30 years? I ask because each time we get a new edition to the game, the products released feature a great deal of already published lore (we are basically paying full price for lore of which many/most are already aware). Waterdeep, for instance, has seen its share of publications with a ton of republished lore in them. To cite some examples of lore that is still NDA we have the Sorceress in Grey, the (divine) bloodlines of the Chosen of Mystra, an unpublished dungeon located in Waterdeep (the name escapes me ATM), etc. I would be willing to pay for a subscription for such lore, which leads me to my last question...
3. What are your thoughts on publishing a Forgotten Realms (call it Realmslore or something) magazine or ezine? I would pay good money for such a publication, provided we get some good lore of the sort mentioned above.

Cheers

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  03:28:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ed will undoubtedly have more, but I can recall a previous discussion between scribes and Wizards-folk [here at Candlekeep] on the possibilities of kercpa being found in the Realms.

I do believe locations such as the High Forest, Ardeep Forest, and the Forest of Tethyr were all mentioned as possible locales for scattered kercpa communities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  06:42:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Is there, anywhere in the Realms, an owlbear named Friendzy?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
THO, you're welcome, I hope you enjoy the game. Regretfully I couldn't hand it to you myself.

I enjoyed running FR at Gen Con (adding a bunch of extra stuff to Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, obviously), and I have good hopes that the post-Sundering Realms will be great.
Of course if any crypric hints kan be dropped...

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 29 Aug 2013 05:30:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  16:13:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed and I are both back, however temporarily, and I bring Ed's response to Eli the Tanner, re. this: "Another question for the ever-mounting pile,
Ed, Are there any examples of Realmsian equivalents to staple and oft-quoted treatise like Sun Tzu's Art of War or Plato's Republic? What works would be considered 'mandatory' reading in scholarly and academic circles (not including magical works...for now) for all learned folk of the Realms?
"What! You haven't even read Erlo Elraedan's The Blood-Drenched Throne!"
Thank you for your continuing insights into all things Realmsy"

Ed replies:
There are several "classic" and long-popular works on warfare, ruling, and administration. Here are the most widely-known and available handful:

The Rule of the Sword by Anamaskrus Blackhael (published in Amn, circa 1377 DR, and in print ever since; Blackhael was a cynical sage, and the book is about maintaining law and order through threats, patrols, spying, and "judicious" uses of violence)

Gormanther's Battlemastery by Uldro Gormanther (published in Tethyr in 1356 DR; forgotten for some sixty years and then rediscovered and printed in small "pouch-sized" form by various caravan traders; Gormanther was a capable mercenary and this chatty, rambling book is a treasure-trove of tactics, snares, ruses, attack plans, feeding-troops logistics, and battlefield advice)

Tyranny by Esklyn Sarsark (translated by anonymous printers in Selgaunt, circa 1394 DR; Sarsark was a successful half-orc mercenary commander who survived more than a dozen raiding expeditions down into the Underdark, became a highly-paid bodyguard and "covert fist" [private strike force commander] among the nobility of Sembia, and when things grew too hot for him, "retired" to the Border Kingdoms and there set up a tiny realm of his own, Sarsarkhal, where he ruled "with iron thews and blade," carving out good lives for his few subjects and ever-increasing harem; the book describes ruthless ploys for winning skirmishes and for deceiving rivals in social intrigues and exposing them to ridicule or attack)

There are many other and better tomes, but these are the trio most will have heard of, and have access to.
Hope this is of help...

So saith Ed. Back at the lore desk in the weary aftermath of GenCon and FanExpo.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  18:03:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
On the same theme as the question Ed just answered, what's the Realms' equivalent of our calling someone "Machiavellian?"

(After reading Empires of the Shining Sea, I'd not be surprised if one of the Shoons will be involved.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 31 Aug 2013 18:33:09
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  20:19:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Welcome back! You were missed by we homebodies who don't make it out to cons.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...to the Border Kingdoms and there set up a tiny realm of his own, Sarsarkhal

Oo! Oo! A new entry for my realms list. What was the "lifespan" of Sarsarkhal, and where was it placed in relation to the landmarks and cities of 1372?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  20:43:56  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Also, thank you Ed, for doing that 5e "panel" at Fan Expo. Just watched it (or rather, the part of it that was uploaded) on Youtube.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  22:29:01  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Quick questions:

What would be the Vegetarian replacement for meats like Dragon or Cockatrice? Like what vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, plants or the combination of such would taste like the meat?

Thanks

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 31 Aug 2013 22:30:02
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  02:11:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Foxhelm, I can give you a swift partial answer:
Some young dragon meat can be "faked" by roasting and crushing sesame seeds to derive sesame oil, then cooking green (bell) peppers in it, then taking the flavored oil and roasting almonds in it. That gets the taste, but of course not the texture.
This answer comes to you from the home Realms campaign, and one of our characters faking dragonmeat for a dish served to nobles.
(i.e. it comes from Ed)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  13:06:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

A quick yes/no question for Ed, regarding his article The Enchanted Paintings of Manyshields Hall in Dragon #408.

Ed, does an ozone-tinged-with-cinnamon odor surround or emanate from the guardspawn at the heart of Manyshields Hall?

Thank you!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  17:38:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
....And from Ed comes a quick reply:
Yes!

So saith Ed re. the odor query from Jeremy, and he further elucidates:

Emanates from (and so, moves with) rather than surrounding but stationary.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  20:13:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  03:01:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again THO and Ed!

While reading the article “The Dragon that Never Died” in Dragon 424, I came across the following entry in the footnotes section:

ix) There were numerous sightings in Veldorn and adjoining lands in 1249–1254 DR, recorded in such sources as Emmer’s Book of the Passing Years (Emmer of Tharsult, 1272 DR)…

Ed, can you please tell us something more about Emmer of Tharsult and his book?

In particular I’m curious to know if Emmer was any sort of sage and whether his “Book of the Passing Years” was more of a chapbook than a book proper, and if it recorded the comings and goings (and the doings) of adventurers.

Thank you very much.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Sep 2013 05:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  15:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
About that "Bound and Willing" author: has anyone guessed Elminster yet? After all, didn't Khelben say that one thing the Chosen do when they're supposed to be sleeping is writing books?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  20:37:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, I THINK Elminster was guessed before, but I honestly don't remember. I'll check my list when I get home.
Jeremy, Ed tells me this about Emmer:

Emmer wasn't a sage, but rather a well-traveled merchant trader who thrived because he kept his eyes open and "his ears to the wind" (as the Faerunian saying has it), collecting and remembering gossip by writing it down, but tempering it by listening to many different sources and separating the truth and probable truth from the entertaining but obviously fanciful.
Emmer's Book of the Passing Years wasn't much different from the detailed year entries near the back of The Grand History of the Realms in content; Emmer tossed in little mentions of everything from changing fads and fashions to important battles and shifts in bulk foodstuffs purchasing (plus bumper crops and near-famines).
The book consists of annual chapbooks (like almanacs) that if gathered together provide a good overview of unfolding "popular" Realms history. Where a sage might write about trends and motives, and speculate as to the reasons behind decisions of rulers and trading alliances, Emmer was concerned about recording what he heard and saw of "the passing parade" of everyday life: popular jests and songs, changing folk beliefs and the attitudes of "just plain folks," new art and design and small everyday innovations (replacement handles for pots, for instance). He mentions various adventurers and their deeds here and there in passing, often, but the Book of the Passing Years is in no sense a comprehensive overview of adventuring bans, chartered or otherwise, and their doings.

So saith Ed. Crafting and illuminating Realmslore every day!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  23:52:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Wow, that's just really cool. Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  05:29:03  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message
You know, I'm an active duty Army Officer, I've been stationed outside the States for over seven years in three different countries, & I've had some rather long drives to work over the years (0630 formations for physical training every weekday). Some of those drives were about an hour every morning & evening, & I truly found those to be exhausting. To hear that Ed & his wife drove 120-miles every morning & again in the evening to get to his job as a librarian every day is astonishing. To know that he did so while furthering & guiding the Realms is nothing short of brilliant. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The last reason: Ed and his wife both retired from their Toronto library jobs, which meant 120-mile commutes into work in the morning, and a 120-mile commute home, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week (yes, folks, Ed wrote all the Realms novels and columns and game products he did ON TOP of that - - so if you ever think he's taking too long to answer your questions, think about the pace he keeps).
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  12:29:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Are there any (non-monster) people in the Realms that have no problem eating other sentient beings? I recall that scene where Bruenor ate some giant brains (and never liked Bruenor again after that), and I was wondering if any other race wasn't so picky about who they ate (aside from orcs, etc - I am talking about ones that might surprise us, like Wemics).

quote:

About that "Bound and Willing" author: has anyone guessed Elminster yet? After all, didn't Khelben say that one thing the Chosen do when they're supposed to be sleeping is writing books?

Well, considering that Filfaeril is one of "Elminster's Daughters", that would be a whole new level of gross for the old geezer (El, not ED lol).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2013 12:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  15:00:18  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
quote:

About that "Bound and Willing" author: has anyone guessed Elminster yet?

Yep, incorrect guess.

Here is a list of past incorrect guesses:
Alaphondar, Laspeera, Glarasteer Rhauligan, Vangerdahast, Azoun IV, Giogi Wyvernspur, Valantha Shimmerstar, Elminster, Storm, Tessaril Winter, Aerilee Summerwood, Dimswart, Thone, Caladnei, Volo, Myrmeen Lhal, Maglanna, Tanalasta, Alusair, Jorunhast, Lady Tavernant, Aundable Inthré, the Lark and Filfaeril (the Dowager Queen) herself if i haven't missed any.

And the two hints He of the Greenwood gave:
1 - Let me just provide my first promised clue by refining what I mean by “known at the court.” It means they’ve visited it in person and been announced, more than once, not walked into the room as an anonymous servant or been mentioned by some courtier as some outlander of importance - - that is, important somewhere else. It doesn’t NECESSARILY mean they’re a frequent visitor at Court or well-known there.
2 - That is, characters mentioned in Ed's Realmslore series of web columns are eliminated. None of them wrote that sizzling tome.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  17:17:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Alustriel was never mentioned?

Thats my new guess!!!

I mean, according to the ORIGINAL Realms story, they were tight, ya know...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000